Anyone tried the latest Rockfords?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Mahmoud Ali

Re: Anyone tried the latest Rockfords?

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Mike Hawkins wrote:
felixp21 wrote: ...the BP wines don't necessarily improve beyond 10 years of age, they just get older.
OTOH, I would agree with your assertion if was linked to say, Meshach among others
Say what? Are you saying that the Meshack does not improve past the first decade? Oh dear, oh dear, I own a few bottles of the '99 Meshach. Oh well, at least I should be able to make some tasty coq au vin.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

A_Steady wrote:
Mahmoud Ali wrote:Craig,

In your Barossa report you mention having visited Rockford and include the 2012 Black Shiraz in your list of wines that impressed you. I assume the BP didn't make the cut so which vintage did you taste? Or were they between vintages, the '15 being sold out and the '16 yet to be released.

Mahmoud
Hi Craig,

Expanding on Mahmoud's question, the '19 disgorged Black Shiraz is the current release and is available at the CD now - was the '12 you mentioned in your 'Barossa report' a museum release? Or did you try it somewhere other than @ Rockford's

Steady
I am sure they said 2012, but it is possible I heard wrong, you can't see the vintage on the label shot I took

No BP on tasting. Next vintage released March. I wan't surprised or too concerned as it is comparatively easy to get in NZ and cheaper!

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

2016 BP at the pub with the lads. Soild expression.
mid to long term prospect I would suggest. Was nice drinking and got the long table nod down the line.
I'll try again next month with a bit more attentiveness, I'm sure I'll have a few questions.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

First stonewall lunch experience.
Wasn't sure what to expect but overall really enjoyed it.

03 Dis Black shiraz and 05 BP in great spots. 05 BP at 15 years is bang on for this vintage. Still nice firm grip on the palate and primary fruits pushing thru but also some nice tertiary elements starting to pop up. 03 Black shiraz maybe lacked a touch in the bubbles dept for some but not for me . really up front on the blackberry plum spectrum. big persistent finish that lingers forever.
05 (05 lg sem served not 06 as indicated on menu) LG sem started very nutty and cheesy but really unfurled with a bit of air revealed some lovely floral notes. Other drops also very good. usually not a Fronti drinker but thought this was paired very well.
Food wise the gazpacho and mulloway were the big winners but everything tied in well.
Great day/lunch that went very quickly. Before i knew it i was back in the stonewall cd tryng to wrap my head around the current releases.
Probably not ideal post 4-5 hr meal if i'm honest. In my floundering state i tried to focus on the 17 RR and 16 BP. Some nice fruit on both and the 16 BP will be a mid to long term keeper. took home mixed case of both.....
I did try the whites pre lunch but hmmm yeah I think i need to go back another day... :roll: :roll:

best buy of the day were the kirkman peaches i took home in a paper bag. so good. :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Scotty do have thoughts on the 2016 Grenache?
Imugene, cure for cancer.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

Was the ‘16 Grenache still available to purchase ?
(I tried it in November and rated it highly)

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

A_Steady wrote:Was the ‘16 Grenache still available to purchase ?
yep still available in Stone Wall cellar door.
was a really good drop. Fruity and dry good tannin structure.

Redav

Post by Redav »

Scotty vino wrote:yep still available in Stone Wall cellar door.
was a really good drop. Fruity and dry good tannin structure.
Well, I wasn't expecting to see any of this but I've just ordered some so we're looking forward to cracking one with the FIL when they can visit now that things are easing in QLD.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

A_Steady wrote:Was the ‘16 Grenache still available to purchase ?
Turns out I tried the '15 in November