TN: Pyren Vineyard "Yardbird Union" 2015

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Pyren Vineyard "Yardbird Union" 2015

Post by Waiters Friend »

Not surprisingly, this is from the Pyrenees region. 13% alcohol, and comprising Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot. 15 months in old French hogsheads. Decanted immediately before service.

Purple black in colour. Initially, tobacco notes come off the nose, but this settles down quickly to reveal developing dark fruits (blackcurrants, blueberries, black plums), and some oak-derived spice. The palate is medium bodied, but mouth-filling and quite flavoursome, with moderate acid and gentle tannins.

There's a slight indication that the wine is developing savoury characters that you might expect with more age, but I am not sure that further development would be a good thing. It's pretty good now, and may be in its sweet spot now.

I used to drink more Bordeaux blends, and this is an area I should resume exploring.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

I Love Shiraz

Re: TN: Pyren Vineyard "Yardbird Union" 2015

Post by I Love Shiraz »

The Pyrenees region is a very underrated area for red wines.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

paulf

Post by paulf »

I Love Shiraz wrote:The Pyrenees region is a very underrated area for red wines.
I'd say an out of favour region, that's been more prominent in the past. It is not helped by it's geographical location.

cleanskinlover

Post by cleanskinlover »

yeah, saw that. It was a great pick up at $18 each in six's.

marsalla

Post by marsalla »

Good wine this. I am based in the Pyrenees, if anyone comes up once this craziness is over get in touch, happy to share knowledge and a bottle
Cheerss
Sean