TN: Poliziano Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano "Asinone" 2003

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Waiters Friend

TN: Poliziano Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano "Asinone" 2003

Post by Waiters Friend »

The Asinone appears to be a reserve label in the Poliziano range. Purchased in Italy last year. 14% alcohol.

Deep purple in colour, with no bricking. Quite a savoury nose, with dark cherries, coco powder, and lots of spice - cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, black pepper. Maybe a touch of star anise as well. Very slight alcohol heat.

The palate was intense, with leather up front, and the cherry fruit underlying it. There's good acid on the front and sides of the tongue, and one of the main features of the palate is the texture - velvety but not overly glycerol. Tannins are integrated, and there's no sharp edges on this. Although it's a medium bodied wine, the finish was extremely long.

The best Italian wine I have had this year.

Cheers
Allan
Poliziano.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Benchmark

Re: TN: Poliziano Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano "Asinone" 2003

Post by Benchmark »

Thanks for the notes.

I noticed you have a history of posting Montepulciano.

A wine that has rarely let me down, but I confess I usually buy it strictly VFM.

I might have to seek out some of the more well respected labels to see what it truly has to offer.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Benchmark wrote:Thanks for the notes.

I noticed you have a history of posting Montepulciano.

A wine that has rarely let me down, but I confess I usually buy it strictly VFM.

I might have to seek out some of the more well respected labels to see what it truly has to offer.
HI Benchmark.

My interest in Montepulciano (not the grape variety) has arisen from two visits there, 2014 and 2019. Lots to like on the wine front, but not so much the whites or the Rosso - go for the Nobile. Plenty to get around the $30 mark in Montepulciano - more pricy here in Australia. I'm still learning about these wines.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

I remember being able to travel... fun times. I miss those days.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I kind of regret not buying a regular bottle of Poliziano's Vino Nobile that I saw on sale a few years ago. My thinking back then was that since I had recently bought some older bottles of Boscarelli's Nobile, 2008 I think it was, that I did not need any from a younger vintage.