TN: Vietti Barbera d'Asti Tre Vigne 2017

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Benchmark

TN: Vietti Barbera d'Asti Tre Vigne 2017

Post by Benchmark »

2017 Vietti Barbera d'Asti Tre Vigne

Pretty wine with a medium body and good length. Sweet cherries, flowers (pretty ones) and quality oak integration. Really about balance between fruit, oak and acidity. Well made, feminine and lovely to drink.

100% Barbera.

I have no experience with the grape variety or the region. If this is an example of what to expect, I am a fan.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/MWJYv7a1q_ ... 8-h1370-no[/img]
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

Ian S

Re: TN: Vietti Barbera d'Asti Tre Vigne 2017

Post by Ian S »

What to expect of Barbera? It very much depends on the approach in vineyard and winery. In broad terms there are two camps:

1) Big fruited / big oaked wines. Whereas this approach can completely obscure any varietal traces with other grapes, with Barbera it does work better. Not to say everyone will enjoy them, but some (including me) who normally hate heavy oaking / alcoholic wines, can get great enjoyment from those using Barbera. The saving graces for me are the inherent high acidity of the grape, which keeps some freshness even at higher alc%, plus Barbera not being particularly tannic, means a little wood tannin isn't such a bad thing (and Barbera wines were often put in new oak to enable the oak to be less forceful the next year for accommodating the nebbiolo wines). Braida are the big name in this style, but plenty of other good producers in this style.

2) Lighter fresher 'table wines' (I'd put this Vietti wine here). Plenty of simple lighter Barbera, very effective at the dining table and inexpensive. In addition there are more and more that are a definite step or two above mere 'food wine', but where restraint is still applied. This broad category took a while to charm us, but more and more it's doing so.

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

Thanks Ian.

Horses for courses as they say. My wine tastes vary widely depending on mood. I daresay a good example of either on the right day at the right time will do the job.

I find this a trend with Italian wines that I rather enjoy exploring. A light Barbera on a Friday afternoon is just as enjoyable as a complicated, sophisticated Barolo on a Saturday evening.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

I fully agree.

Indeed I think us English speaking visitors are seen as somewhat foolish when we insist on having Barolo/Barbaresco with lunch and more everyday evening meals.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Ian S wrote: 2) Lighter fresher 'table wines' (I'd put this Vietti wine here). Plenty of simple lighter Barbera, very effective at the dining table and inexpensive. In addition there are more and more that are a definite step or two above mere 'food wine', but where restraint is still applied. This broad category took a while to charm us, but more and more it's doing so.
Interested in this comment Ian, as a couple of the Viettis Ive had are quite substantial wines - although I'm thinking mostly of the Scarrone Vigna Vecchia here. Not overoaked or stupidly ripe, just very substantial wines.

Are the Tre Vigne and le Crena a little more moderate?

cheers
Andrew

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Hi Andrew
Of course over-broad categorisation by me, but FWIW I just personally see the ~ 16% wines as very different to the ~ 13.5% wines (but within that broad lower alc grouping, there are simple wines and more complex ones and a large range of styles again). An artificial grouping by me, but one that I've found useful when thinking about wines to drink.

For me the Tre Vigne is for me most definitely a more moderate food wine, not especially fancy, but more than handy at the dining table.

Regards
Ian

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

It is a minefield pigeon holing wines. I feel some latitude needs to be given when someone makes sweeping statements, certainly within the context of a single wine.

The Tre Vigne is certainly leaning on the lighter, pretty style of wine that appealed through its balance and structure. I would certainly describe it as a food wine. While it is very well made and pleasurable to drink on its own, it was not a wine that I considered profound or mesmerising.

Great value however and I am of a mind to seek more Vietti wines, particularly the Scarrone Vigna Vecchia you mentioned above Andrew.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Ian S wrote:Hi Andrew
Of course over-broad categorisation by me, but FWIW I just personally see the ~ 16% wines as very different to the ~ 13.5% wines (but within that broad lower alc grouping, there are simple wines and more complex ones and a large range of styles again). An artificial grouping by me, but one that I've found useful when thinking about wines to drink.

For me the Tre Vigne is for me most definitely a more moderate food wine, not especially fancy, but more than handy at the dining table.

Regards
Ian
Not intended to be any sort of attack Ian! Quite the opposite, recognising your Italian experience is beyond anything I will ever reach! I was introduced to Barbera via an introduction to Vietti, and have found out since how atypical the Scarrone and Vigna Vecchia are (both in palate and also price...).

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Benchmark wrote:It is a minefield pigeon holing wines. I feel some latitude needs to be given when someone makes sweeping statements, certainly within the context of a single wine.

The Tre Vigne is certainly leaning on the lighter, pretty style of wine that appealed through its balance and structure. I would certainly describe it as a food wine. While it is very well made and pleasurable to drink on its own, it was not a wine that I considered profound or mesmerising.

Great value however and I am of a mind to seek more Vietti wines, particularly the Scarrone Vigna Vecchia you mentioned above Andrew.
That Scarrone Vigna Vecchia has to be pretty close to getting allocated these days, and I tihnk its $A120 now. That's a big ask for a Barbera, but I'd recommend you try one as it shows whats possible in the "big" style direction.

Its a bit of a theme for me in lockdown - I supported my local to put together a mixed tow dozen of textural food friendly wines for lockdown, and more than half are Italian or Italian varieties grown in Aus. And in the right hands they make really good wines for not much $!

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Wizz wrote:
Ian S wrote:Hi Andrew

Regards
Ian
Not intended to be any sort of attack Ian! Quite the opposite, recognising your Italian experience is beyond anything I will ever reach! I was introduced to Barbera via an introduction to Vietti, and have found out since how atypical the Scarrone and Vigna Vecchia are (both in palate and also price...).
FWIW I very much didn't read it as an attack 8) but it's still worth acknowledging where a statement I made is very much an over-generalisation (even if it works for me).

Vietti often out of my price range, though I like the way they try to make an affordable example of each wine type (e.g. the Tre Vigne), alongside those prestige bottlings, and those labels remain a joy to look at :D

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

Wizz wrote:
Benchmark wrote:It is a minefield pigeon holing wines. I feel some latitude needs to be given when someone makes sweeping statements, certainly within the context of a single wine.

That Scarrone Vigna Vecchia has to be pretty close to getting allocated these days, and I tihnk its $A120 now. That's a big ask for a Barbera, but I'd recommend you try one as it shows whats possible in the "big" style direction.

Its a bit of a theme for me in lockdown - I supported my local to put together a mixed tow dozen of textural food friendly wines for lockdown, and more than half are Italian or Italian varieties grown in Aus. And in the right hands they make really good wines for not much $!
$120 is getting a little steep for me. I am prone to the occasional impulse purchase however. Not ruling this out just yet!
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Benchmark wrote:
$120 is getting a little steep for me. I am prone to the occasional impulse purchase however. Not ruling this out just yet!
Yeah a lot of wine to be had for those $. Haven't paid for the Scarrone VV since 2013 as a result...and my money for wines like this is going elsewhere - More reasonably priced Barbera, Nero D'Avola, Montepulciano, Negramaro, Sangiovese, even the odd Sagrantino. And Teroldego. I suppose I should post some notes..

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

Wizz wrote:[

Yeah a lot of wine to be had for those $. Haven't paid for the Scarrone VV since 2013 as a result...and my money for wines like this is going elsewhere - More reasonably priced Barbera, Nero D'Avola, Montepulciano, Negramaro, Sangiovese, even the odd Sagrantino. And Teroldego. I suppose I should post some notes..
Yes you should!

I actually drink more Sangiovese than anything. Montelpulciano a close second.

Only started dipping my toe in the Piedmont pond a few weeks ago.

I have had very little success with Nero D'Avola. Massive fruit and alcohol. I probably need to persevere....
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

More Teroldego!

That said, I find it difficult to look past Foradori's eponymous wine, plus their grander Granato, both wonderful wines, the former often just as enjoyable in youth as the latter. Morei and Sgarzon bottlings are both *Tinajas aged, making for a noticeably different experience - perhaps easier to guess as 'natural' wines, but all are made with skill ahead of mysticism. There's even a more recent entry level bottling that I've yet to try. A highly recommended visit, as although there is a (modest) fee, and typically only 3 wines are offered for tasting, the experience is a special one, the courtyard a delight for observing the swooping birds and to top it all, the Mountains nearby are stunning (and Trento is a fine city in its own right).

Nero d'Avola? Yes quite a mixed bag. I'm not sure I've got a handle on it yet. Some great, some serviceable and some dullards. I will though offer up Nero di Troia up as a great Southern red grape, best sampled in the Castel del Monte wines. Rivera's Il Falcone is a long established classic, but without the cult pricing. Well worth a try

Regards
Ian

* Imagine an amphora with the handled lopped off!

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Ian S wrote:More Teroldego!

That said, I find it difficult to look past Foradori's eponymous wine, plus their grander Granato, both wonderful wines, the former often just as enjoyable in youth as the latter. Morei and Sgarzon bottlings are both *Tinajas aged, making for a noticeably different experience - perhaps easier to guess as 'natural' wines, but all are made with skill ahead of mysticism. There's even a more recent entry level bottling that I've yet to try. A highly recommended visit, as although there is a (modest) fee, and typically only 3 wines are offered for tasting, the experience is a special one, the courtyard a delight for observing the swooping birds and to top it all, the Mountains nearby are stunning (and Trento is a fine city in its own right).

Nero d'Avola? Yes quite a mixed bag. I'm not sure I've got a handle on it yet. Some great, some serviceable and some dullards. I will though offer up Nero di Troia up as a great Southern red grape, best sampled in the Castel del Monte wines. Rivera's Il Falcone is a long established classic, but without the cult pricing. Well worth a try

Regards
Ian

* Imagine an amphora with the handled lopped off!
TBH - Teroldego = Foradori really :) Others Ive tried (Australian) dont grab me.

Must start a new thread, I've over-hijacked this one - sorry :oops: