The 'What's your thoughts on this wine' Thread

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
George Krashos

Re: The 'What's your thoughts on this wine' Thread

Post by George Krashos »

Redav, the genesis for the SVS range was Chris Ringland wanting to have a play and a big Swiss client wanting something different. It grew from there but I understand that Robert O'Callaghan was never a huge fan of the concept and a few people I know associated with the winery have always preferred the straight BP. I think Ben Radford wants to go in a different direction so no more SVS wines. I've always thought they were lovely wines but toward the end were a bit exy for my liking. A '96 Moorooroo I brought along to the last offline was drinking beautifully. Makes me wish I hadn't drunk the other 5!

-- George Krashos

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Is 06 the last or 05? I'm sure when I was there last month or so we had the 05 and he said it was the last of them. Unless he meant the next ones coming out.

I like them, but they tend to be very big wines. I think the Flaxman Valley is the 'lighter' of the group.

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

The 06s are in Stonewall Cellar now. I picked up one each of the Flaxman and Hoffman about 6 or so weeks ago.

-- George Krashos

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes I was fortunate to get two 3 packs of the 96 SVS trio and fortunately got a 3 pack of the single release 97 Hoffman. I am still pissed that all the 98 Hoffman went to said Swiss client. I did get the other two 98's flaxman and moorooroo but never seen a Hoffman. Adair who is known to a few Sydney- siders got a few from memory and langtons exchange had one a few year back for $500!

so the 06's will be the last by the looks.
Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Redav

Post by Redav »

Has anyone had any of these?

We're not big on bubbles but we thought it would be fun to have some for my birthday dinner with friends;
NV House of Arras Brut Elite Champagne Blend - I liked this more than the Grant Burge
NV Grant Burge Pinot Noir Chardonnay méthode traditionelle - my wife liked this more than the Arras and the Domaine Chandon
NV Domaine Chandon (Australia) Brut - opened last night and I didn't like it
NV Taylors Bottle Fermented Brut Cuvee - unopened. My dad likes Taylors so I might crack it with them

We compromised on quality to get a little more quantity (I keep reading there's not much on offer bellow $50). I kinda wished we hadn't but none of them so far has convinced us that we care to invest in bubbles.

Casa Nueva Cabernet Sauvignon Late Reserva - purchased through my FIL via a wine club. My wife likes it but I'm unconvinced
Wynns Coonawarra Estate Cabernet Shiraz V & A Lane - bought for a nicer dinner
Saltram Mr Pickwick's Particular Tawny - haven't bought it but I'm tempted to try it

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Redav wrote:Has anyone had any of these?

We're not big on bubbles but we thought it would be fun to have some for my birthday dinner with friends;
NV House of Arras Brut Elite Champagne Blend - I liked this more than the Grant Burge
NV Grant Burge Pinot Noir Chardonnay méthode traditionelle - my wife liked this more than the Arras and the Domaine Chandon
NV Domaine Chandon (Australia) Brut - opened last night and I didn't like it
NV Taylors Bottle Fermented Brut Cuvee - unopened. My dad likes Taylors so I might crack it with them

We compromised on quality to get a little more quantity (I keep reading there's not much on offer bellow $50). I kinda wished we hadn't but none of them so far has convinced us that we care to invest in bubbles.

Casa Nueva Cabernet Sauvignon Late Reserva - purchased through my FIL via a wine club. My wife likes it but I'm unconvinced
Wynns Coonawarra Estate Cabernet Shiraz V & A Lane - bought for a nicer dinner
Saltram Mr Pickwick's Particular Tawny - haven't bought it but I'm tempted to try it

For Aussie bubbles, I don't think you can do much better than Arras. Pick your price point and whatever Arras you get will deliver the goods.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

I think Seppelt Salinger vintage for VFM cannot be beaten, if you know where to look it can be had for $20 or even less on occasion. Pound for pound it beats any other Oz vintage sparkler. Tyson Stelzer seems to think so too :wink:

The Wynns V&A is very good...
Cheers
Craig

BrandonS

Post by BrandonS »

Redav wrote:Does anyone drink or keep any of the following;

Henschke Julius Riesling
Rockford Semillion
Peter Lehmann Margaret Semillon
Peter Lehmann Wigan Riesling
Oakridge Semillon
Moss Wood Ribbon Vale Semillon Sauvignon Blanc

Any thoughts on them? Might any of these benefit from much of a rest? If so, any idea how long you might do that for? I know Robert sells his Rockford with a couple of years on it and says it can do with more. I keep trying to give some a rest but because we buy so few, we keep drinking them :lol:

I picked up a couple of the '15 Julius last year, going from memory it was a quality drop, I'm going to give them a couple of years to see how they develop.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Redav wrote:
We compromised on quality to get a little more quantity

In my experience, when it comes to bubbles that is unfortunately not something that will deliver a good outcome...

The Arras is the only one of the wines you mention I would really bother with unless catering for a very large party on a budget.
------------------------------------
Sam

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

deejay81 wrote:I've been really enjoying Supertuscan's recently, particularly Ornellaia. Over the past year or so i've had 01,02,03,04,05,06,11 and out of those, they were all spectacular, if a little young. The 05 was the only one that was a little short on the finish. I've also started buying some Sassicaia (but haven't tried any), hoping they will be just as nice or nicer? the 98 being my most recent purchase.

How do these two Supertuscan's compare if they compare at all? Sassicaia is a little more pricey than Ornellaia, is it worth the extra $$ ? Also, any other Supertuscan suggestions as both of these are on the high end of $$$$ and would be nicer to find cheaper alternatives too! Thanks!

Hi Deejay,

With the ressurection of this post, and the re-reading of yours, I have to confess that I had forgotten about a super-Tuscan that I bought last year. The wine tempted me because of its pedigree and the fact that it was on clearance. Tua Rita is famous for its 100% merlot wine called Redigafi, and it is also infamous because it once received a 100 point score from Robert Parker. It is expensive, about $300 and above here in Canada. Tua Rita specializes in super-Tuscan wines and I believe most of their bottlings feature international varieties. However the wine I found on clearance was their entry-level wine, 2012 Tua Rita 'Rosso dei Nostri', a blend of 50% Sangiovese and 50% Merlot, Cabernet, and Syrah. That it was under $20 and had the name Tua Rita tempted me. I found it very enjoyable. It was medium-bodied and there was sufficient savouriness of the sangiovese. The fact that it was aged in two year-old barriques rather than new oak probably helped.

I was surprised by this super-Tuscan, modest though it was, and felt it had a definite Italianate character. If you can get it in Australia it might be worth a try. And sorry for what earlier may have appeared to be a dismissive post on my part.

Cheers ...................... Mahmoud.

BrandonS

Post by BrandonS »

pokolbinguy wrote:Bluegrass Cabernet? - Thoughts?

Saddler's Creek? This is usually great wine, particularly after about 10 years of aging, I've enjoyed some amazing '03 bluegrass cabs.

Redav

Post by Redav »

Redav wrote:Wynns Coonawarra Estate Cabernet Shiraz V & A Lane

We had a 2013 on the weekend which also Christened our new Zalto Bordeaux glasses and this was a bit of a treat. We really enjoyed it, nice and smooth. I'd been trying to move onto cab sauv and try other varieties but this reminded me that while there's nothing wrong with moving on, if you ignore where you've been, you might just miss something you'd really like.

How does the V&A Lane Cabernet Shiraz go? I think I'll have to try it next.

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder »

Redav wrote:
Redav wrote:Wynns Coonawarra Estate Cabernet Shiraz V & A Lane

but this reminded me that while there's nothing wrong with moving on, if you ignore where you've been, you might just miss something you'd really like.

that had me thinking like ive never thought before, for quite a while
and then I realised I had to go and do the dishes :lol:
Last edited by Bobthebuilder on Mon May 22, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swirler

Post by swirler »

rooman wrote:
Redav wrote:

What's the Wynns Riesling like?

I tried it at a dinner TWE put on last year. My suggestion at the time was that they should probably use the root stock for another grape variety and clone something else onto the vines such as chardonnay.

Mark

Mark,

I think chardonnay is the last variety they would graft! More cabernet or maybe another red.... I find Coonawarra riesling superior to chardonnay, but neither of them should be grown in there IMO.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Where does the Balnaves Chardonnay fruit come from? That's a pretty decent drop.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

swirler

Post by swirler »

Exception to the rule? :)

michel

Post by michel »

swirler wrote:
rooman wrote:
Redav wrote:

What's the Wynns Riesling like?

I tried it at a dinner TWE put on last year. My suggestion at the time was that they should probably use the root stock for another grape variety and clone something else onto the vines such as chardonnay.

Mark

Mark,

I think chardonnay is the last variety they would graft! More cabernet or maybe another red.... I find Coonawarra riesling superior to chardonnay, but neither of them should be grown in there IMO.

Don't forget the 1985 Lindemans nursery vineyard riesling
Now ripped up
I wonder if it is a consistency thing?
International Chambertin Day 16th May

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Michael I have 2 '99 Nursery's left...have drunk 2 dozen over a 5 year period...all glorious.
I wonder if any is still sold at the Hunter cellar door...of if for that matter the Hunter cellar door still exists.

Cheers
Craig

michel

Post by michel »

phillisc wrote:Michael I have 2 '99 Nursery's left...have drunk 2 dozen over a 5 year period...all glorious.
I wonder if any is still sold at the Hunter cellar door...of if for that matter the Hunter cellar door still exists.

Cheers
Craig

Incredible wine
Alas Lindemans has decimated it once great portfolio imho

Redav

Post by Redav »

Does anyone have any thoughts on recent vintages of Henschke's;

Abbotts Prayer - Bordeaux Blend
Johann's Garden - GSM

I've not tried the AP but we've had a couple of JG's, one was so-so but the other was really nice after a few hours in the decanter. Any idea how they might travel over time?

michel

Post by michel »

I have been enjoying Castagna Genesis bigtime
Any other new world wines in the same realm?

rooman

Post by rooman »

michel wrote:I have been enjoying Castagna Genesis bigtime
Superb wines. We visited Julian the winemaker in Beechworth on a road trip south a couple of years back. Charming fellow, mad as a meat ax but in the nicest possible way. He kept disappearing and then reappearing with different bottles which we tried sitting on his front porch overlooking his vineyard. The 2012 and 2010 were excellent and I’ve been wanted to put some way but the tight budget isn’t helping. Which vintages are you drinking?

michel

Post by michel »

rooman wrote:
Superb wines. We visited Julian the winemaker in Beechworth on a road trip south a couple of years back. Charming fellow, mad as a meat ax but in the nicest possible way. He kept disappearing and then reappearing with different bottles which we tried sitting on his front porch overlooking his vineyard. The 2012 and 2010 were excellent and I’ve been wanted to put some way but the tight budget isn’t helping. Which vintages are you drinking?
My mate buys via mailing list
Recently 08 10 13 have been really balanced
Especially after great wines
When you need one more glass...

rooman

Post by rooman »

michel wrote:
rooman wrote:
My mate buys via mailing list
Recently 08 10 13 have been really balanced
Especially after great wines
When you need one more glass...
If these are your quaffing wines, I need to spend more time at your house. :D

michel

Post by michel »

Castagna is a more sensible option than Grand Cru..,,,

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Redav wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on recent vintages of Henschke's;

[Johann's Garden - GSM

I've not tried the AP but we've had a couple of JG's, one was so-so but the other was really nice after a few hours in the decanter. Any idea how they might travel over time?
I have both the 2013 & 2014 of this, its been 3 or so years since I have tried one. Its a style I like. I don't think there are any issues with cellaring them. I am thinking of drinking mine 7-10 years of age. I have read the 2015 was a good wine. Given the vintage conditions of 2016, one would think it would be a wine that has good cellaring potential. Like the other Henschke wines, the price of even this has increased rather sharply.

michel

Post by michel »

2013 Vasse Felix Tom Cullity Cab malbec
i had one of these in the cellar and just opened it over the weekend and sipped it all afternoon
i really enjoyed the mouthfeel and persistance on the palate
pricey wine at $150
anyone tried this ?

Redav

Post by Redav »

I'm off to try a current Penfolds Bin 51 Eden Valley Riesling. What are people's thoughts on it? Alas Penfolds is mentioned so much the search refuses to search for it :lol:

Redav

Post by Redav »

Has any had any of the Hentley Farm wines? We had a 2018 The Marl Grenache and are keen on trying it again, we quite enjoyed it. Any ideas on some of their other wines?

We've also come to be fans of Oliver's Taranga Small Batch Grenache fans. Anyone else?

Redav

Post by Redav »

Any chance people have any thoughts on these wines?

Best's Great Western Shiraz Bin No 1
Cirillo Grenache 1850's Old Vine
Cirillo Grenache The Vincent
Seppelt Riesling Drumborg Vineyard

I think I've seen people rate Best's a bit so I saw some and grabbed something. I had heard that the original Rockford Dry Country grenache grapes went into this wine so I'm keen to see what this is like as we've picked up some new RDC (which is new to us). I picked up their 'lesser' wine too to try. We enjoyed the 2016 vintage and have the 2017 and 2018 as well. We found two other 2016 grenache wines from producers in the same region that we have enjoyed which is good.