Mar 2020 purchases

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Dragzworthy

Mar 2020 purchases

Post by Dragzworthy »

Krug NV 167 edition x 6

Wizz

Re: Mar 2020 purchases

Post by Wizz »

A handful of 2017 Dujacs. I'm done with Burgundy wit a few exceptions - like this. :)

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

2 x 2017 Passopisciaro Sicilia Contrada Chiappemacine
2 x 2017 Passopisciaro Sicilia Contrada Guardiola
2 x 2017 Passopisciaro Sicilia Contrada Porcaria
2 x 2017 Passopisciaro Sicilia Contrada Sciaranuova
2 x 2017 Passopisciaro Sicilia Contrada Rampante

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

1 x 2013 Elio Grasso Ginestra Vigna Casa Mate
1 x 2015 Bruno Clair Gevrey-Chambertin

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Will somebody please buy some Australian wine! :wink: :mrgreen:

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Ian S wrote:Will somebody please buy some Australian wine! :wink: :mrgreen:
This board is definitely becoming more international!

You're right though....I've not bought much Aussie stuff lately. Living in Singapore makes me a global wine citizen! The Giaconda Chardonnay I had on the weekend may be one of my favourite wines this year I suspect...and that's after tasting a lot of Burgundy white at La Paulee Singapore.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

6x Rockford Basket Press 2016.
Finally got around to placing my order just before it all gets cleared out once released to everyone in the CD..
------------------------------------
Sam

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Just for you:

4 x 2018 Bowen Estate Chardonnay
2 x 2019 Bowen Estate Chardonnay

Attended a Bowen wine dinner last week, Doug & Emma are just wonderful people, Salt of the earth types and very generous with their time and wines.
They served the 2012 Shiraz and Cab. Both were sublime and will last a long time. Also had 2018 Shiraz and Cab, were very
good also. 2017 Shiraz was very very different. Cool climate shiraz which reminded me of a Grampians somewhat.

Reading between the lines, they have (or are in the process of) replanted all their Shiraz vines with cuttings from their Ampelon
Block... yes that famous 1998. No there is no plans to release another Ampelon.

Also back in the 1980's they made a sparkling and back in the 90's some fortified..... no they wouldnt let me buy any :D

brodie

Post by brodie »

Wizz wrote:A handful of 2017 Dujacs. I'm done with Burgundy wit a few exceptions - like this. :)
Yup, sounds very familiar, stopped buying red burgs (have too many, prices too high etc). But, still got 6 bottles of 2017 Dujac. Good prices esp for the CDLR

Brodie

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

6 X 2019 Tscharke 'Matching Socks' Touriga Nacional

Auswine... :P
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

A mixed dozen from our esteemed Host - Thanks Gavin!
5 x 2018 Clonakilla Riesling
1 x Sami-Odi Little Wine #9
3 x 2017 Sons of Eden Kennedy
3 x 2018 Wirra Wirra Original Blend Grenache Shiraz

6 x 2017 Fromm Pinot Noir

A mixed 6 from a large chain (5 from the "Cellar Release" section)
2018 Deep Woods Estate Hillside Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Best's Great Western Bin No 1 Shiraz
2012 Mount Langi Ghiran Billi Billi Shiraz
2012 Thorn-Clarke Shotfire (Ridge) Quartage
2011 Woodlands Wilyabrup Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot
2013 Tim Adams Riesling

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

mjs

Post by mjs »

Technically, my

12 x 2017 Vasse Felix Filius Cabernet

posted in Feb purchases, were actually purchased in March :lol: :lol:
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

mjs

Post by mjs »

Rossco wrote:
Just for you:

4 x 2018 Bowen Estate Chardonnay
2 x 2019 Bowen Estate Chardonnay

Attended a Bowen wine dinner last week, Doug & Emma are just wonderful people, Salt of the earth types and very generous with their time and wines.
They served the 2012 Shiraz and Cab. Both were sublime and will last a long time. Also had 2018 Shiraz and Cab, were very
good also. 2017 Shiraz was very very different. Cool climate shiraz which reminded me of a Grampians somewhat.

Reading between the lines, they have (or are in the process of) replanted all their Shiraz vines with cuttings from their Ampelon
Block... yes that famous 1998. No there is no plans to release another Ampelon.

Also back in the 1980's they made a sparkling and back in the 90's some fortified..... no they wouldnt let me buy any :D
Rossco,

Sounds great. Have had many very enjoyable dining and tasting experiences with Doug, Joy and Emma, including their 40th anniversary celebrations a few years ago now. I believe they have already replanted all the shiraz with Ampelon block cuttings. In fact, the entire vineyard has been replanted from what it was when they started there in the early 70's.

cheers, Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

mjs

Post by mjs »

ps: had a 98 Ampelon last Friday, excellent
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

brodie wrote:
Wizz wrote:A handful of 2017 Dujacs. I'm done with Burgundy wit a few exceptions - like this. :)
Yup, sounds very familiar, stopped buying red burgs (have too many, prices too high etc). But, still got 6 bottles of 2017 Dujac. Good prices esp for the CDLR

Brodie
Can I ask out of curiosity:

How much were the 17s in NZ?

Other than Dujac, where do you make the Burgundy exceptions? My other one is Mugnier Gibourg, and Henri Boillot too. Others I'd really like are also in the "stupid money " class, like Rousseau :(

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

mjs wrote: Rossco,

Sounds great. Have had many very enjoyable dining and tasting experiences with Doug, Joy and Emma, including their 40th anniversary celebrations a few years ago now. I believe they have already replanted all the shiraz with Ampelon block cuttings. In fact, the entire vineyard has been replanted from what it was when they started there in the early 70's.

cheers, Malcolm
I was at that tasting a few years ago as well (was in the CBD), still to this day the best winery tasting of my life, although im not sure (I cant remember) if they had the Ampelon or not. Ampelon was an absolute freak, and really shouldn't be in existence, as the cuttings used to plant that block came from a little nursery in the riverina area all those years ago. When i asked Doug if it was a vineyard nursery similar to Yalumba's, he laughed and said 'nope, just your normal garden nursery selling plants'.

My only recollection of having Ampelon was the one you supplied at an offline back in May 2018.... coincidentally the same night you introduced me
to the 2017 Powell and Sons Marsanne/Rousanne!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes the Bowen's are very generous people and have a wine business that hits all the right notes, great domestic presence and a balance for export...and I have said a squillion times a price structure that is second to none...$18 for the '98...$28 for the '18...go figure!
Doug did offer a wry smile when I spoke to him about the Ampelon at Coonawarra Cabernet celebrations last October...never say never Craig

Booked in to do it all again later this year
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Wizz wrote:
brodie wrote:

Brodie

Other than Dujac, where do you make the Burgundy exceptions? My other one is Mugnier Gibourg, and Henri Boillot too. Others I'd really like are also in the "stupid money " class, like Rousseau :(
I thought mugnier was well up there too.
I had a Henri boillot volnay last week but it didn’t light my fire. Not sure if available Downunder but i enjoy Arnaud Lachoux and pricing is reasonable

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Dragzworthy wrote:
Wizz wrote:
brodie wrote:

Brodie

I thought mugnier was well up there too.
I had a Henri boillot volnay last week but it didn’t light my fire. Not sure if available Downunder but i enjoy Arnaud Lachoux and pricing is reasonable
Oh shite, typo - Mugneret Gibourg. They arent cheap either :( And nor are Freddy Mugnier who iv'e long given up on. :)

Arnoux Lachaux are available, a friend and sometime poster on this forum has them,

brodie

Post by brodie »

Wizz wrote:
brodie wrote:

Brodie

Small quantities but;

MSD Villages: NZ$99
MSD 1er: NZ$176
CDLR: NZ$420

I gave up all my other allocations about 3 years ago. Too much wine. Probably will pass on the 18s. Did buy some Cecile Tremblay 17s now that I think about it.

Brodie

cleanskinlover

Post by cleanskinlover »

2018 Keller Trocken - for some short term cellaring $44 AUD
2018 Grosset Polish Hill for some medium to long term cellaring $55 AUD six pack price ( still too much really )

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

brodie wrote:I gave up all my other allocations about 3 years ago. Too much wine. Probably will pass on the 18s. Did buy some Cecile Tremblay 17s now that I think about it.
Too much wine? I can help.
Let me know when you're next visiting down under and I'll organise an offline. We can help you to offload your excess Burgundy. :)

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

A discount code tempted me to grab a mixed 6 from Italy... hopefully the movement of goods from Italy is still ok!

M. Marengo Barolo Brunate 2016
Donnafugata Grappa di Ben Ryé
Le Ragose Amarone Caloetto 2008
M. Marengo Barbera d'Alba Vigna Pugnane...
Pietracupa Taurasi 2012
Quintarelli Bianco Secco 2018
Sam

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

sjw_11 wrote:A discount code tempted me to grab a mixed 6 from Italy... hopefully the movement of goods from Italy is still ok!
Oddly I checked the special terms of an Italian retailer yesterday! In it they said (at that point) that they had approval for courier deliveries, but the usual signing protocol would go. They'd ring the doorbell and leave it there (aka the My Hermes standard approach, but without giving it a kick before leaving).

However the new restrictions are much tighter. Food shops, food delivery and pharmacies remain open as do tabaccherie (but not bar-tabaccherie). All else has to close. Thus I'm thinking the wine order will be delayed for probably min 2 weeks.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Ozzie W wrote:
brodie wrote:I gave up all my other allocations about 3 years ago. Too much wine. Probably will pass on the 18s. Did buy some Cecile Tremblay 17s now that I think about it.
Let me know when you're next visiting down under and I'll organise an offline. We can help you to offload your excess Burgundy. :)
^^ second that :lol: :lol:
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Ian S wrote:
sjw_11 wrote:A discount code tempted me to grab a mixed 6 from Italy... hopefully the movement of goods from Italy is still ok!

I'm thinking the wine order will be delayed for probably min 2 weeks.
Yeah it is all evolving pretty quickly. I am not too bothered if there is a delay.

I did get an email today from another Italian business that I have bought from (shoes, as an aside I thoroughly recommend them for their price to quality offering- eu.velasca.com) and they specifically said their online orders would go on as normal (and there was no risk of catching Coronavirus from their packaging!)
Sam

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I found a couple of apparent bargains while travelling back home. First off was the government duty free shop at the Dhaka (Bangladesh) airport. I rarely find anything worth buying but there was a three-tiered round display, like a tiered wedding cake, with an assortment of bottles, most looking shopworn with tattered and missing labels. It was a clearance shelf with all sorts of cheap spirits, liquors and the odd wine. However something caught my eye, a bottle of Armagnac for only US$8. At the till I asked about this and the items on clearance and they said it was product confiscated by customs and sent to them for clearance. I did not recognize the label nor name but what the heck, despite the poor handling (note the damaged wax seal), for eleven Canadian dollars (A$12.60) it seemed like a fun purchase.

In Hong Kong I had a 12 hour layover so rather than spend it at the airport I took the bus downtown to Nathan Street. I got there just before 9am and went to the harbour front promenade and sat in the shade reading some newpapers and dozing off as joggers and runners ambled by. Then I went in search of a noodle shop that my partner and I ate at a number of years ago. I wandered around some more this time looking to browse in some wine stores. The first one I found asked me to leave since I wasn't wearing a mask (I hadn't noticed the sign on the door). Then I went looking for a basement shopping market where I had found some interesting wines some years ago. I did not find the same one but another small one had a 2008 Aglianico for HK$100 which seemed like a good price for a 12 year-old wine - C$18 and A$20. The lady at the till asked if I wanted a surgical mask and proceeded to hand me one. It had pictures of Garfield on it but she had no others so I took it. I felt foolish and self conscious but I gave it a try. I must say it takes some getting used to as I felt hot and stuffy breathing through it.

Anyway, here is a picture of my travel purchases:
Armagnac&Aglianico.jpg
Chevalier Despalet Tradition Armagnac (40%)
2008 Sanpaolo Irpinia Aglianico, Campagnia, Italy (14%)

After getting home I discovered that the Armagnac is made by the Janneau, a reputable producer. Meanwhile wine searcher tells me that a retailer in Hong Kong is selling the same wine for HK$269 - two and half times what I paid!!

Mahmoud.

PS: I would have included the Garfield surgical mask in the photo but I must have left it on the plane.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brodie

Post by brodie »

mjs wrote:
Ozzie W wrote:
^^ second that :lol: :lol:
Sounds good, will let you guys know when I am next in Melb. No current travel plans due to COVID-19....

Brodie

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

3 x 2013 Oddero Barolo Rocche di Castiglione
3 x 2014 Oddero Barolo

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

6 x Rizzi Barbaresco 2016

3 x PdB Barbaresco 2016

6 x Elio Grasso Ginestra Vigna Casa Mate, Barolo 2016