Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
phillisc

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by phillisc »

mjs wrote:Craig,
That particular bottle of Ampelon from last night was beautifully developed but had many years ahead of it (until I opened it :lol: :lol: )
cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm have a sixer of the Bowen... will leave them for a bit longer.
Just interested if you have had any inconsistencies with the 86 and 90 JR?
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

mjs

Post by mjs »

Craig,
These Wynns wines are 30+ years old, of course there will be some bottle variation and I have seen that with both of these vintages. Some, but not all the bottles I have had, have been purchased at release and cellared in perfect conditions. I think the bottles we had yesterday were equal to the best examples of these vintages that I have had.
As for the Bowen, I think it's been at its prime now for a while, I wouldn't leave it if you haven't had some by now.
cheers, Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

cleanskinlover

Post by cleanskinlover »

!
Last edited by cleanskinlover on Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cleanskinlover

Post by cleanskinlover »

Friday Night - enjoyed a bottle of 1999 Reichgraf Von Kesselstatt Josephshofer Spatlese Riesling. 8% alc and the cork was near perfect!
Saturday Night - 2018 Te Mata Elston Chardonnay - delicious now, can't figure how long it could cellar for.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

2012 Cullen Cab Merlot
Just their standard cab merlot (not the Diana or Vanya). Bit thin and watery. Acidity really juts out at the moment and
not integrated, overpowers the wine. Cab component leaves a large hole in the mid palate, that was meant
to be filled by the Merlot...

There were some mulberry and slight green capsicum notes, medium body, length was ok.

Only 8 years old and screwcap so maybe its in its dumb phase, not sure. I think my expectations were too high

Rory

Post by Rory »

2005 Glaetzer Anaperenna.

Drunk over two nights.

First night, could it look anymore youthfull! Primary flavours of Cabernet dominating a little. Wonderfull structure and balance. Great length.
Second night.... well it hasn't budged much. Still a fantastic wine, opened up a little.

If you have a good cellar, id leave them for at least another 8 years. As i will.

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

Mitchelton Blackwood Park Riesling 2005

This would have been made by the late Don Lewis before he left to set up his own winery (Tar and Roses).

The classic petroleum/kerosene nose is there but it is in way overpowering. The palate has rose petals, flowers, some citrus, and some tropical fruits. Not a lot of toastiness.

All in all a really nice classic Riesling.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Giaconda Chardonnay 2017
My first Giaconda and now what I see the fuss is all about. This is easily my favourite Australian Chardonnay and it matches top class white Burgundy. Beautiful nose of popcorn and cinnamon, lots of fruit (melon and lemons) with a long finish.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Rossco wrote:
Only 8 years old and screwcap so maybe its in its dumb phase, not sure. I think my expectations were too high
A common lament across their range (well the reds at least, I still rate their Chardonnay)

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2015 Wynns Shiraz...perfect with a rack of lamb.
Notes of blackberry and surprisingly lots of pepper...not arguing the toss, but felt a little like a Craiglee, winemakers notes on the label indicated black pepper. Great mouth feel. This wine always surprises, they are good young and all age. Interestingly, I had a look at my records. My first Wynns Shiraz purchases were the 81, 82 and 86 vintages which were all between $1-2. The last 20 vintages that I have purchased have all been under $10. Amazing value and consistency.
Cheers Craig

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Hi Craig,

Was this the grey label? I'm unsure as to what the quality levels are like with grey vs black now - is the grey still the same quality as it was in the 90s and early 00s? Or has the grey label become a lower quality offering?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Kenzo...not sure if you're referring to Wolf Blass grey label. The Wynn's Shiraz I am talking about is the standard White Label. The winery has made a black label Shiraz since the 2010 vintage and a V&A Shiraz since 2008. I have questions about the BL Shiraz...it was a very low $20s wine when released but not worth the mid-upper $30s that they want now.
I think the White Label Shiraz has always been consistent especially for the coin...chains are doing the current release for a tenner. I have some 90/91/94 which I plan to look at this year.
Cheers Craig

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Last month had a wonderful evening with some fellow wine lovers. Left my notes at
the restaurant, so only just managed to get them back now

Theme is Open (ie Bring anything) and as usual all wines were served blind

Wine # 1 2018 Criaglee Chardonnay
Tropical & Pineapple immediately on the nose. Quite ripe fruits. Fat & Oily texture, silky as well. Very textural wine (was this left on lees?) Acid structure does hold everything together for me, but I would question how long it will age for.
Pawpaw and green mango after it opens up a bit. Very unusual Craiglee, not their typical style and I wonder if it was a hot year?
Great to drink now, but I cant see this lasting a long time.

Wine # 2 - 2008 Veuve Clicquot Rose`
Toffee, Apple, Strawberry compote. Some slight almond/Marzipan notes as well.
'Pet Nat' type colour in the glass (not blurry though). Looked like a large percentage of Pinot..... yep 61%
Length was a little short, but the bead was very fine. Cream and oak as it warmed up
in the glass as well.
I do prefer the standard 2008 Vintage Champagne from Veuve over this, not that it was bad, but the 08 standard is just SO good.

Wine # 3 - 2014 Domaine Tollot-Beaut Corton-Charlemagne
Bit hit of struck matchstick straight away, wow what a nose! Ultra high quality chardonnay here....question though is it WA or a Burg.
Lemony Acid, mouthwatering Acid keeps asking you back for more. Grand Cru, perfectly balanced and very good judge of oak use here. Powerful, white oetter and spice.
I didnt get any Fennel that I usually associate with corton...

Wine # 4 2006 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir 'Old Vines Summa' Sonoma Coast USA
Blurry Red in the glass. Smells very ripe, red ripe fruits. Stewed strawberries
Lots of whole bunch characters in this. Tomato Stalks, Forest Floor, Mushrooms
Feels new world, although I though NZ.... turns out its USA!
Bit soapy towards the end and felt like it was past its peak. Lacking acid and structure

Wine # 5 - 2010 Littorai Cerise Vineyard Anderson Valley Pinot Noir - USA
Still quite young, Acidity quite prominent at the moment. Smokiness, Charcuterie cured meats, yet there is this prettiness and femininity about it. Its delicate despite the meats. Sweet red raspberries, so cherries and strawberries. Medium body but doesnt have the structure of burgundy. I picked New World again.. Australian.. Nope.
Florals/Flowers purfume as well. Lovely wine, but needs more time.

Wine # 6 - 2005 Christophe Vaudoisey Volnay Premier Cru Les Caillerets
Star Anise, Liquorice, Aniseed. So much going on here.
Tannin is divine, chalky, powdery type stiff. Reductive as well, was 05 a ripe year? Had a tiny bit of Ox in the wine, that somehow complements the wine... and i really dont like oxidative notes so this was a bit of a revelation. Nice fruit in here, red spectrum, spice and
some dried floral notes.

Wine # 7 - 2004 Giacomo Borgogno Vigna Liste Barolo Riserva
Having looked back at the past few open themes, there was one notable variety
missing and hadnt been presented; Nebbiolo! and since falling in love with this variety (all thanks to this group!) I sought amends to this overlooked
Purple Florals, Violets, Tar and Rose Petals. Initially very large oak on it was distracting, it did settle down a bit with air.
Likewise there was some heat/alcohol poking its head up initially, thankfully that blew off as well. Powerful fruits behind this wine, but they are masked by the over use of oak. Will they ever punch through? Not sure but this has a long life still ahead and the fruits were very pure, so im hoping so. Such beautiful high quality fruits too, shame.

Wine # 8 - 2005 Roagna Barolo Vigna Rionda
Beautiful expression of Barolo. Fruits are the super star here. Oh that nose, im in love.
Dried rose petals, tar, sweet strawberries, subtle spice but dried herbs as well...sage? Citrus acid and that length.... stunning. This is love in a glass right here, perfect use of old oak which i assume is Botti. Very traditional producer, fruit density, textural, so youthful and WOTN for me.

Wine # 9 - 2006 Antinori Tignanello Toscana
Immediately feels old world and Italian. The lightness in colour leads me to a Neb or Sangiovese. But its a blend! Lots of graphite, some balsamic, black & red cherries and again some spice. Nice oak as well, earthy wine but I didnt get a lot of the cabernet characters, just didnt seem to fit the cabernet mould.

Wine # 10 -2004 Houghton Jack Mann Cabernet Sauvignon
What a stunning wine, fitting tribute to the name. This has a lot going on. Sweet fruits,
iodine, graphite, cassis, eucalypt. Some slight black olive, but lots of blackberries and blueberries. Feels Cab dominant. So very young, will live another lifetime. Tannin reminds me of Bordeaux, but the fruits can only be new world. So rich but not over ripe length just doesnt stop.... One of the most underrated wines in Australia? Barely gets a whisper yet 3 times I have had a Jack Mann and 3 times I have been blown away. Potential Cabernet of year WOTY. Other years depending on vintage may have some Malbec in there too.

Wine # 11 - 1985 Moss Wood Cabernet Sauvignon
Brett or TCA. Plastic Band Aids....... shame!

Wine # 12 - 1991 Tahbilk 1860 Vines Shiraz - Faulty

Wine # 13 - 1991 Tahbilk Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon- Faulty

Wine # 14 - 1981 Baileys of Glenrowan Hermitage - Faulty

Wine # 15 - 1990 Kay Brothers Amery Block 6 Shiraz - Faulty

Wine # 16 - 1982 Chateau Reynella Vintage Port
Wasnt this a revelation. Stood up for a week, double decanted the night before and straight back into the bottle. Cork crumbled on extraction, but it did its job for the 38 years! Very dark red colour, seemed more youthful in appearance than I anticipated.
Dark red fruits, coffee, liquorice and something else...
Brandy spirit seemed hot and sat on top of the wine, but with air that blew off and
integrated perfectly. Wow this is getting better by the minute! Raspberries and possibly other darker purple berries. Felt like this had a touch of touriga in it or tinto cao or another
portugese variety. Apparently was 100% Shiraz, but im still not sure.

Lovely way to end the night.

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Rossco wrote:Last month had a wonderful evening with some fellow wine lovers. Left my notes at
the restaurant, so only just managed to get them back now

Theme is Open (ie Bring anything) and as usual all wines were served blind

Wine # 1 2018 Criaglee Chardonnay
Tropical & Pineapple immediately on the nose. Quite ripe fruits. Fat & Oily texture, silky as well. Very textural wine (was this left on lees?) Acid structure does hold everything together for me, but I would question how long it will age for.
Pawpaw and green mango after it opens up a bit. Very unusual Craiglee, not their typical style and I wonder if it was a hot year?
Great to drink now, but I cant see this lasting a long time.

Wine # 2 - 2008 Veuve Clicquot Rose`
Toffee, Apple, Strawberry compote. Some slight almond/Marzipan notes as well.
'Pet Nat' type colour in the glass (not blurry though). Looked like a large percentage of Pinot..... yep 61%
Length was a little short, but the bead was very fine. Cream and oak as it warmed up
in the glass as well.
I do prefer the standard 2008 Vintage Champagne from Veuve over this, not that it was bad, but the 08 standard is just SO good.

Wine # 3 - 2014 Domaine Tollot-Beaut Corton-Charlemagne
Bit hit of struck matchstick straight away, wow what a nose! Ultra high quality chardonnay here....question though is it WA or a Burg.
Lemony Acid, mouthwatering Acid keeps asking you back for more. Grand Cru, perfectly balanced and very good judge of oak use here. Powerful, white oetter and spice.
I didnt get any Fennel that I usually associate with corton...

Wine # 4 2006 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir 'Old Vines Summa' Sonoma Coast USA
Blurry Red in the glass. Smells very ripe, red ripe fruits. Stewed strawberries
Lots of whole bunch characters in this. Tomato Stalks, Forest Floor, Mushrooms
Feels new world, although I though NZ.... turns out its USA!
Bit soapy towards the end and felt like it was past its peak. Lacking acid and structure

Wine # 5 - 2010 Littorai Cerise Vineyard Anderson Valley Pinot Noir - USA
Still quite young, Acidity quite prominent at the moment. Smokiness, Charcuterie cured meats, yet there is this prettiness and femininity about it. Its delicate despite the meats. Sweet red raspberries, so cherries and strawberries. Medium body but doesnt have the structure of burgundy. I picked New World again.. Australian.. Nope.
Florals/Flowers purfume as well. Lovely wine, but needs more time.

Wine # 6 - 2005 Christophe Vaudoisey Volnay Premier Cru Les Caillerets
Star Anise, Liquorice, Aniseed. So much going on here.
Tannin is divine, chalky, powdery type stiff. Reductive as well, was 05 a ripe year? Had a tiny bit of Ox in the wine, that somehow complements the wine... and i really dont like oxidative notes so this was a bit of a revelation. Nice fruit in here, red spectrum, spice and
some dried floral notes.

Wine # 7 - 2004 Giacomo Borgogno Vigna Liste Barolo Riserva
Having looked back at the past few open themes, there was one notable variety
missing and hadnt been presented; Nebbiolo! and since falling in love with this variety (all thanks to this group!) I sought amends to this overlooked
Purple Florals, Violets, Tar and Rose Petals. Initially very large oak on it was distracting, it did settle down a bit with air.
Likewise there was some heat/alcohol poking its head up initially, thankfully that blew off as well. Powerful fruits behind this wine, but they are masked by the over use of oak. Will they ever punch through? Not sure but this has a long life still ahead and the fruits were very pure, so im hoping so. Such beautiful high quality fruits too, shame.

Wine # 8 - 2005 Roagna Barolo Vigna Rionda
Beautiful expression of Barolo. Fruits are the super star here. Oh that nose, im in love.
Dried rose petals, tar, sweet strawberries, subtle spice but dried herbs as well...sage? Citrus acid and that length.... stunning. This is love in a glass right here, perfect use of old oak which i assume is Botti. Very traditional producer, fruit density, textural, so youthful and WOTN for me.

Wine # 9 - 2006 Antinori Tignanello Toscana
Immediately feels old world and Italian. The lightness in colour leads me to a Neb or Sangiovese. But its a blend! Lots of graphite, some balsamic, black & red cherries and again some spice. Nice oak as well, earthy wine but I didnt get a lot of the cabernet characters, just didnt seem to fit the cabernet mould.

Wine # 10 -2004 Houghton Jack Mann Cabernet Sauvignon
What a stunning wine, fitting tribute to the name. This has a lot going on. Sweet fruits,
iodine, graphite, cassis, eucalypt. Some slight black olive, but lots of blackberries and blueberries. Feels Cab dominant. So very young, will live another lifetime. Tannin reminds me of Bordeaux, but the fruits can only be new world. So rich but not over ripe length just doesnt stop.... One of the most underrated wines in Australia? Barely gets a whisper yet 3 times I have had a Jack Mann and 3 times I have been blown away. Potential Cabernet of year WOTY. Other years depending on vintage may have some Malbec in there too.

Wine # 11 - 1985 Moss Wood Cabernet Sauvignon
Brett or TCA. Plastic Band Aids....... shame!

Wine # 12 - 1991 Tahbilk 1860 Vines Shiraz - Faulty

Wine # 13 - 1991 Tahbilk Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon- Faulty

Wine # 14 - 1981 Baileys of Glenrowan Hermitage - Faulty

Wine # 15 - 1990 Kay Brothers Amery Block 6 Shiraz - Faulty

Wine # 16 - 1982 Chateau Reynella Vintage Port
Wasnt this a revelation. Stood up for a week, double decanted the night before and straight back into the bottle. Cork crumbled on extraction, but it did its job for the 38 years! Very dark red colour, seemed more youthful in appearance than I anticipated.
Dark red fruits, coffee, liquorice and something else...
Brandy spirit seemed hot and sat on top of the wine, but with air that blew off and
integrated perfectly. Wow this is getting better by the minute! Raspberries and possibly other darker purple berries. Felt like this had a touch of touriga in it or tinto cao or another
portugese variety. Apparently was 100% Shiraz, but im still not sure.

Lovely way to end the night.
Fantastic tasting Rossco. Shame there were so many faulty wines... Once again, we can question some of the quality of the corks that were used in the 90s.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Nice line up Rosco.

Just quickly, what a disaster is Australian wines and cork from that era! Shocking . Good to see you got your hands on older Roagna. Borgogno is traditional - something awry with your 2004 . Could be the riserva oak regime . I haven’t had the wine myself but heaps of their range including regular Lista.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Hi Jamie
Any changes you are aware of under the Farinetti (Eataly) ownership? Borgogno absolutely were utterly traditional, but whose wines (at best) have really shone 30-60 years down the line. I'd heard of 'changes' but can't recall any detail of what has changed.
Regards
Ian

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Dragzworthy wrote:
Fantastic tasting Rossco. Shame there were so many faulty wines... Once again, we can question some of the quality of the corks that were used in the 90s.
To be honest, I dont know the provenance of the wines, so not sure if that played a part, BUT you are right, there is one producer in that list of faulty wines that I refuse to buy any more. Just had too many dud bottles, and this is from a stance that they used to be the largest % in my collection. Now i have less than 1%

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

JamieBahrain wrote:Nice line up Rosco.

Just quickly, what a disaster is Australian wines and cork from that era! Shocking . Good to see you got your hands on older Roagna. Borgogno is traditional - something awry with your 2004 . Could be the riserva oak regime . I haven’t had the wine myself but heaps of their range including regular Lista.
That Roagna was mindblowing, and still so young, had lots left in it. I need more now :D

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Borgogno, was the Riserva oak regime. Nothing wrong with the bottle or wine at all, just felt like a modernist producer, so the whole table was shocked to see it was Borgono. Having said that, gee I would love to see another in 10 - 20 years, I just
felt now may have been a turning point for the wine. Alas my one and only bottle and I dont see this particular one come up much.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

With Borgogno I think there was a change of ownership but I don't recall the details. One thing that did come up on a separate forum was that the new owners might increase the price of the older reserve wines that they held in reserve.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

A Brunello themed evening held last week with some wonderful people.

All wines were served blind

I took a lot out of this theme, in that despite the heavy handed use of oak by some producers, the quality and power of the fruit
is usually more than able to swallow it up with enough bottle age.

Wine # 1 - 2012 Moet & Chandon Grand Vintage (a starter just to kick off the evening)
What a great way to start the night. This is such a crowd pleaser, you simply cant get angry at this wine and will appeal to the majority. Citrus and lemon, soft fine bead. Didnt get the chalk or the minerality of champagne, so i guessed Tasmanian...wrong.
Crushed hazelnuts, but no real bready/yeasty notes. Very good length, but I wouldnt be cellaring this for very long. Great drink now proposition and feels like it may have seen some older oak at some point, had this roundness too it and I wondered the Pinot % was (41% Chardonnay, 33% Pinot Noir and 25% Meunier). 2012 was a surprise as it felt older.... like an 08 or 09.

Wine # 2 - 2006 Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
Large oak on the nose, high quality oak. High acid as well, this needs a lot more time to come together. Alcohol heat, but gee this feels young. Like a 2012 or younger.... wrong! Very powerful fruit, but hidden behind that oak. How good will this be in another 10 years.
Let that fruit do its thing, let those cherries and raspberries come through. Savoury as well, mocha, cedar, tobacco.

Wine # 3 - 2011 Gaja 'Pieve Santa Restituta' Brunello di Montalcino
Upon opening had this soapy smell and i thought OH NO! Chucked it in the decanter for an hour and a half hoping for the best, and man am I glad I did! Totally transformed the wine, ugly duckling into beautiful swan type thing. That nose in the Zalto was enthralling. Black cherry, musk, vanilla and earthy notes. Really nice acidity, but again the fruits are battling with the mocha oak. Really nice acidity, gravely tannins, just lots of oak. Lovely wine, perfumed and some rose petals. Didnt even get any of the 15% alcohol, so that was a relief.

Wine # 4- 2004 Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino
Alluring nose, so inviting. Big hit of aniseed and fennel. Loads of blackberries in there, mocha oak...toasty oak. Tannin are really nice. I couldn't figure out if they were oak or fruit tannin, although i was leaning more towards fruit. Earthy wine, black cherries and new leather.
Wonderfully integrated but still has life.

Wine # 5 - 2010 Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino
What a great initial question! "Have we had this producer tonight already?"
Left everyone a bit speechless, and the groups answers were 50/50. Turns out yes we have. Very young, sweet oak still dominating. High quality oak, but lots of it. Acid spine is nice, but again just too spiky at the moment. Some lavender florals in there, tobacco, and some cured meats. A bit disjointed at this stage of its life, so give it another 10 years to see where its at.

Wine # 6 - 2013 Salvion Brunello di Montalcino La Cerbaiola
Lovely bright translucent red. Red fruits everywhere! So elegant & perfumed. You can smell this forever and never get tired. Reveals something different with each sniff.
Apparently a bit of a unicorn wine, and I have never heard of this producer (not that it means much to be honest, im a complete novice).
Violets and purple florals (lavender maybe?). Very low oak use, and it is all the better for it. Big botti used, feels very young but this is the style
I love. I wish we (Australia) could produce this style, just let the fruit shine. Dont make it over ripe, use old oak.... pretty simple really.
Sour cherries, raspberries, redcurrants, cranberries, slatey minerals. Quite herbal as well. Dried oregano, but also some dried orange peel, gave it a beautiful feminine lift.
Acidity probably still a bit too prominent, but again just needs more time. Loved it

Wine # 7 - 2004 Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Madonna del Piano
Balsamic and earthy.
Teeth coating tannin, they really stick to them and everyone was using their tongue on their teeth.
This has everything wound up to 11ty. Masses of fruit, Masses of oak, tannin... just a huge wine....supercharged if you will.
I thought there was the tiniest hint of brett that I actually enjoyed, but none of the others got it (again im a novice picking faults, so they were probably right). Never usually enjoy Brett so I wonder if this was a brunello thing as to why i liked it?
Blackberries, iron minerals, ink, leather, masterfoods italian herb mix... and power. Commanding wine.
This feels like it has some age on it.... yep 2004.

Wine # 8 - 2001 Gaja 'Pieve Santa Restituta' Brunello di Montalcino Sugarille
Who would have thought we would have two lots of two of the same producers! Apparently Gaja have two vineyards in the area.
Modernist producer it feels like. Large oak... probably barrique? Tongue coating tannins... they just stick on there. Front and back of the tongue, was a great experience.
Feels like a warmer/riper vintage? Its a rich and ripe wine.
Dried tobacco leaf, hint of mint and plumbs. Got some dark chocolate as well.

Wine # 9 - Hardy's Reserve Bin 1975 Ruby Port
Probably a bit past its use-by date. Salty sea air with a touch of chlorine.
Little stripped by TCA, but still a nice old fortified. Some milk chocolate, blackberries,
burnt figs, toffee, and some more salty minerals.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Sean wrote:
46BDF612-8BC2-4039-A231-8E14DECD7227.jpeg
Penfolds St Henri Shiraz 15 - A lot more elegant than the usual Penfolds house style. Matured in big oak vats, which makes a difference. Feels brambly and medium bodied. Red fruits, dark plums, camphor, spice and dusty tannins.
Good to see you back!! :D
Cheers craig

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

In what may very well be the last meeting of the group for some time.... there was an air of sobriety
and solemness. Got temp tested on the way in (G rated and I managed to keep my pants on), no shaking hands just elbow bumping.....Bloody beer virus!

Theme was 'Pinot from anywhere' and as usual, all wines served Blind.

1st bracket was a side by side white comparison to kick us off. Not on theme, but decanted (not sure for how long):

Wine # 1.1 - 2015 Howard Park 'Allingham' Chardonnay - Margaret River (Left Glass)
Tinge of green in the glass, with some bright yellow, indicating possibly younger wine. Huge hit of lemon on
the nose, that continues on the palette in abundance. Intensity and power i have in my notes, but not oak power. This is all fruit power and all acidic type fruit. No creamy peaches here, possibly even fermented in steel, such is low very low (non-existent?) oak. Lemon Zest, flinty, feels like a cooler climate/high altitude vineyard (or a cool year) such is the style of the wine. Was it just early picking? Feels new world as I didnt get the chalk or brine of Chablis, I thought Tasmania due to acidity. Spectacular start, we were all shocked when it was WA..... still cant believe it! Never heard of this wine before, so its quite the revelation.

Wine # 1.2 - 2015 TarraWarra MDB Limited Release Chardonnay - Yarra Valley (Right Glass)
Made only in the best vintages (this is the 3rd release in history) this blew everyone away. I think we all voted Burgundy as was the haunting beauty of this wine; Wrong! Completely different to the left glass. This is richer, riper, more rounded. Feels more structured, more layered. Restrained Power. Lots of white fleshy peaches, nectarines and creamy cashews. Maybe lacking a little acidity, but the depth of fruit is fantastic. Darker in the glass then the left, yellow gold.
Perfect use of oak, just melts into the fruit, amazing silky texture with some matchstick and flint. Balance and length. Wow. Hard to believe same vintage, but what was more incredible, the TarraWarra felt more Margaret River and Howard Park more Yarra Valley.

Another side by side comparison for the next bracket.

Wine # 2.1 - 2010 Felton Road Bannockburn Pinot Noir - Central Otago - (Left Glass)
Darker red with browning starting to creep in the edges. Has a very rich and ripe' Pino't nose, new world nose.
Sweet darker fruits (think black cherries, blackberries), the richness carries into the palate. Chocolate Liqueurs, Cherry liqueur, and some smoky/charry oak. I didn't get the coal type notes I usually get in Central Otago, so I voted Australian Pinot. Clearly wrong. Acidity is quite spiky and hot though so maybe needed a bit more of a decant to loosen it up.
Opened up a bit more in the glass with time, some Raspberry fruits starting to poke through, feels youngish though (i guessed between 2010 - 2012) at least i got that bit right.

Wine # 2.2 - 2009 Domaine Tortochot Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru - (Right Glass)
Deep and earthy wine here. Looks a older than the left glass. Slightly browner but still lots of life.
So earthy in the mouth too, forest floor and mushrooms. Feminine and subtle, this has to be burgundy surely! Florals, rose petals, wild red fruits, cherries, raspberries, spice as well. Nice tannin structure, balanced acidity. Texture and mouth feel is sublime.

Wine # 3 - 2005 Bruno Desaunay-Bissey Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru
Explosive nose in the glass. I could smell this all day. Commanding and powerful nose. There is a brightness in colour here, still dark red, but bright. Translucent as well. The nose (to me) screamed burgundy but in a really interesting twist, the palate didn't. Maybe it was the riper style fruit, but this is why I love blind tastings. Do you go with your nose or your palate? The rest of the group (some very experienced burg drinkers), went with their palate and all picked new world.
Rich red cherry, Iron minerals, some blue fruits as well. I like the oak treatment here, restrained use and it let the fruit really shine here. Balance is impeccable, Gravelly tannin, very powerful and still so very young, the bottle was in exceptional condition as it belied its 15 years of age.

Wine # 4 - 2002 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Cailles
Brown Ruby red indicated has some good age on it.There is a real prettiness in the glass. Lovely cranberries, tart raspberries, some musk and chalky tannin. Love the tannin structure here, sits right on the inside of both cheek.
Violet florals, there is this power and elegance to the wine. Its on the lighter spectrum but so good. Length just goes on and on. Again very fruit forward but so juicy and nice balance.

Wine # 5 - 2010 By Farr Tout Pres
Wow lots going on here... very complex nose. Doesnt smell like a burg, but there are hints of burg as well. To burg or not to burg, that is the question! I picked not.... phew!
Gravel and iron. Very herby... dried herbs. Bay leaf in particular with some oregano and possibly sage.
Crushed tomato stalks as well..... and here comes the whole bunch. Took a few minutes to open up, but when
it did, whole bunchy came knocking. My mind immediately thought Mayer, but then i questioned that as it wasnt 200% whole bunch as timo likes. Feels 20%ish has a wonderful funk, forest floor and red fruits. Red Cherry, Strawberry liqueur with some cured ham. Wonderful stuff and completely different to the Sangreal's i have had in the past. Didnt even know Gary & Nick were doing whole bunch........ ahhhhh this is why I love wine, it always surprises you!

Wine # 6 - 2011 Bouchard Père et Fils Corton-Le Corton
Someone sneaked a Traditionalist Barolo in here such is the commanding purity of fruit.
Bright translucent Red. Wonderful colour, hasnt faded in the slightest. Pure red fruits, Redcurrants, cranberries, tart raspberries. Bright acid too, but really nicely balanced against the oak. Again just sooo good. Not over oaked in the slightest, in fact feels like large old oak barrels. Clearly old world. Fine grained fruit tannins coating the whole mouth
with a touch of earth as well. Love this style of Burgundy as it is right in the spectrum im looking for.

Wine # 7 - 2005 Bruno Desaunay-Bissey Chambolle-Musigny La Combe d'Orveau Vieilles Vignes
Darker red in the glass with some browning. Looks like an older vintage. Very old world nose, earth and forest floor.
Dark Cherry, charry oak and Charcuterie smoked meats. Old soft leather, mushrooms some cola as well.
Feels like a Nuits. Very fine, very soft tannin, acid is perfect and again balance is really really good. this fits
the bill of 'drinking well' perfectly. I cant see it getting any better and is a really good drink now proposition.
Man, who would have thought in a 'Pinot from anywhere' theme we would get two 2005 Bruno's!

Wine # 8 - 1997 Château Rieussec Grand Cru Sauternes
Ladies and gentlemen, we are in the presence of greatness. Lord of the Sauternes, is there a French version similar to the irish lord of the dance? Because this makes me feel like dancing!
Dark gold type/toffee. Bees wax and wild honey on the nose... wow this is super complex, nose keeps revealing itself. Lanolin, barley sugar, burnt toffee, cumquat marmalade, lime leaf.... its just doesnt stop!
Rich and silky mouth feel.... so elegant, so powerful. Not sickly sweet, not clotty or cloying in anyway. This is a lesson
in sweet wine perfection, mouth watering acidity... winemakers of Australia, are you listening!
Star Anise, Cinnamon, Apricots, orange peel, yet quite dry... strange sensation having a dry sweet wine. Seamless, perfect balance and that length 95% Sem & 5% Sav B. 18 - 26 Months in Oak of which 50% is new! WOW, you would never guess it. Sweet WOTY contender, most likely winner. Can't see too many beating this.

Wine # 9 - 1933 Seppeltsfield Para Liqueur
Very dark amber brown in the glass, very thick too. Must have a fair bit of age on it. Lots of creamy coffee notes, burnt toffee and
malt. Very silky, and sweet, however oak and acid is 'just' there and holding on. Huge richness, lead me to being Australian Muscat.... no. Well at least I got the Australian bit right. Still has a freshness about it
too. Cedar, raisins and ever so slight rancio. What a treat and what Australian wine history in the glass. Just think, some of this material was grown in the great depression era. A time when the 5 kilometre avenue of canary island date palms were being planted at
the western entrance of Seppeltsfield JUST to keep people employed. The vintage date on these Para Liqueur releases related to the oldest component of the Tawny blend, meaning that the wine was not singularly from the year depicted on the label.
Last edited by Rossco on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

3945D5A2-4B17-4B14-9944-4EF8CC415F27.jpeg
2015 Vintage. 2 Barrels made. 1 maturing further and 1 bottled giving 20 cases or so. No topping up, hence the name, and no flor. While I love great Auz Chardonnay, I have a hunkering every now and again for something leaner and funkier. This satisfies, with a touch of nutty oxidation on the nose, a linear structure, with a food friendly bitterness and a touch of pepper on the mid palate. It’s a world away for a powerful, buttery Chardonnay, buts a gem and it satisfies in an intellectual way. No, it’s not fun and my wife would go ‘Yuk, Jura’, but I’m hoping I can get my hands on some of the 2nd barrel when it gets released. If this was just an experiment, then the result is definitely a pass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

mychurch wrote:
3945D5A2-4B17-4B14-9944-4EF8CC415F27.jpeg
2015 Vintage. 2 Barrels made. 1 maturing further and 1 bottled giving 20 cases or so. No topping up, hence the name, and no flor. While I love great Auz Chardonnay, I have a hunkering every now and again for something leaner and funkier. This satisfies, with a touch of nutty oxidation on the nose, a linear structure, with a food friendly bitterness and a touch of pepper on the mid palate. It’s a world away for a powerful, buttery Chardonnay, buts a gem and it satisfies in an intellectual way. No, it’s not fun and my wife would go ‘Yuk, Jura’, but I’m hoping I can get my hands on some of the 2nd barrel when it gets released. If this was just an experiment, then the result is definitely a pass.
He goes alright Shaun.

I grabbed a few of his 2015 vintage Pinot, Appelation and Millers Vineyard. Both interesting.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.