Fleurieu Peninsula - CD recommendations

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
kaos

Fleurieu Peninsula - CD recommendations

Post by kaos »

Hi All

We are over to SA for a week, staying at the beach at Carrackalinga. I've been to McLaren Vale once before (went to Shingleback, D'Arenberg, Coriole, and Kays Bros), have not been to Langhorne Creek and really don't know much about this area.

If anyone has recommendations for cellar doors and/or places to eat I would appreciate them. If recommending places to eat, please let me know if they are demented-small-boys friendly (we'll have the mother in law with us so have the option of slipping away for an hour or two if required).

Thanks

Matt@5453

Re: Fleurieu Peninsula - CD recommendations

Post by Matt@5453 »

I spend a bit of time down that way, some suggestions with kids:

In the immediate vicinity of Carrackalinga there is:

Fork Tree Brewing (literally up the hill)
Smiling Samoyed Brewery at Myponga
Leonard's Mill at Second Valley (kids okay, but try and leave the kids with the MIL)
Yankalilla Bakery is an awesome bakery
A must do is fish and chips on the lawns at Normaville near the Normanville Kiosk on sunset

Langhorne Creek rise I'd suggest:

Bremerton & Bleasdale as my first picks, with Lake Breeze and Rusticana after that.
Its been a long time since I have eaten at Bremerton - but it was good and kid friendly the last time I was there.

Rapid Bay and Second Valley jetties are good for squid if you want to wet a line without needing too much tackle. The beach and cave at Rapid Bay is worth exploring with the kids too.

enjoy, a great part of the world

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

I would visit Samuel's Gorge in the McLaren Vale, beautiful view and some of the best wines in the region IMO.

Oliver's Taranga are also worth a look, good range at decent prices.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Matt@5453 wrote:Langhorne Creek rise I'd suggest:

Bremerton & Bleasdale as my first picks, with Lake Breeze and Rusticana after that.
When I went through Langhorne Creek many years ago Bremerton, Bleasedale, and Lake Breeze were almost the only cellar doors open and I'd recommend all three. I don't remember Rusticana.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Hmmm you've got a 90-100 km drive to LHC from Carracklinga. Half that to MV so worth considering if dragging kids.
If you do go McV consider Pizzateca with kids. Big grassed area out front.
Samuels gorge great with or without kids too. plenty of space, grassed area etc etc.
Get away sans kids? Yangarra in McF. no brainer.
Enjoy! :D
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Kaos, I agree with Scotty V.
You would be much better to stick with MV, MF and less so with LC...you might have a day there, but for time best to base youself in the Vale.

I would recommend Charlotte Dalton (Hardy) and her partner Ben Cooke's set up at Port Elliot, half the distance to LC. They have an old converted factory off Waterport Rd/Hill St (Factory 9) as their CD and are open by appt. They make a very interesting range of whites and reds (interestingly the love me love you Shiraz is drawn from the same clone as Wendouree).

Then you can catch a wave on the south coast...not much surf at Carrack...but Normanville pub pretty good.
Cheers craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

phillisc wrote:Kaos, I agree with Scotty V.
You would be much better to stick with MV, MF and less so with LC...you might have a day there, but for time best to base youself in the Vale.
agree also, Langhorne Creek is a bit of a hike from Carrackalinga, unless you do it before or after the beach. I'd just stick near the coast personally.

kaos

Post by kaos »

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are over in the first week of April so I will report back...

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

If you're dining in McLaren Vale, I'd recommend The Barn, on Main Road.

For wineries, I second Olivers Taranga. Also recommend Maxwells and Gemtree.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Waiters Friend wrote:If you're dining in McLaren Vale, I'd recommend The Barn, on Main Road.

For wineries, I second Olivers Taranga. Also recommend Maxwells and Gemtree.
Allan
The Barn shut a few months ago after 40 something year journey...sad but guess it may have been past its time.
Had a stunning 4 hour lunch yesterday at the Salopian Inn...under Karena Armstrong and team never better. Gins (200) to choose from. Chefs feed me menu beautiful... heap of whites and reds yes Gemtree Uncut very good.
On the way home a trip down memory lane through McLaren Flat and dropped into Graham Stevens...the old Stevens Cambrai. Graham still going strong after 40 years and an eclectic mix of wines. Purchased some whites, reds and fortifieds.
Great day
Cheers Craig

mjs

Post by mjs »

Maralinga Wine Society ( :lol: ) first extended weekend wine area trip for the year will be to LC in late March. Not sure where we are going yet in terms of CDs, but will have an extended tasting at Honey Moon Vineyard in Echunga on the way down on the Friday. Looking forward to it.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Malcolm, I would have a look at Kimbolton. Lovely laid back people and great little CD amongst the red gums.
Cheers Craig

mjs

Post by mjs »

phillisc wrote:Malcolm, I would have a look at Kimbolton. Lovely laid back people and great little CD amongst the red gums.
Cheers Craig
We have resolved our CD list (more or less) for nearly two days in LC then a day back in Adl.

Honey Moon (Echunga) as I said, for a big tasting on the way down on the Friday, including Romney Park wines, then Bremerton and Lake Breeze, dinner in Strath. Saturday Bleasdale, The Winehouse (incl lunch), Kimbolton, maybe one other drive by shooting on the way back to Adl, dinner in Adl. Sunday, breakfast at the Colonist, Wine Embassy tasting, then tasting at EEC, then Signature Wines, finishing at Fergs. Plane back to Melb!

What could possibly go wrong!? :D :lol:
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

kaos

Post by kaos »

Hi All. We put this holiday off for 12 months as the world went mad the week before we were to go last year. We made it up to McV on the Sunday. We came up early because we wanted to get home for a late lunch. Tried D'Arenberg because they are open early but did not realise that you had to pay entry to the cube to access tasting and that would have cost us $75 for crossing the threshold. So we canned that. Then tried Maxwell, but despite there being loads of space and few punters were told that we could not be accommodated until midday! We regrouped and tried SC Pannell. As we were driving I had been defending the pay to taste approach now expected almost everywhere - particularly if modest and refunded on purchase. At SC Pannell we were seated and provided menus. You paid $10, $15, or $20 to taste a 'flight' of 3 wines. I had to ask the guy there if I had interpretted it correctly. You have got to be kidding. They obviously aren't interested in selling wine!! (at least not by the bottle). We turned tail and I have put a line through ever buying anything they produce. next Alpha Box and Dice. Great shack and good service. Wines were variable but good experience. Then Samuel's Gorge. This was more like it. No fee, could walk up, and service and wines v good. I'd hoped to go to 3 cd's but what with the faffing about we cut our losses and went home with two consecutive good experiences ameliorating the earlier false starts and five bottles of plonk on board...

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

So sorry to hear this. I am having a few days next week in MV/LC. I will have everything crossed that my experience will be better than what you had to endure.
Cheers Craig

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

kaos wrote: I'd hoped to go to 3 cd's but what with the faffing about we cut our losses and went home with two consecutive good experiences ameliorating the earlier false starts and five bottles of plonk on board...
This is sad to hear ... I had thought as well that paying and booking for a tasting was manageable but it seems there might be some teething issues at the least.

I guess people have done it tough with the crisis and maybe making the classic mistake of thinking that gouging any dollar is better than no dollar while missing the bigger picture of alienating your potential long-term customers?

Did D'arenberg really want $75 for two people to do a tasting?? Any amount refunded if you then bought something??
------------------------------------
Sam

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

phillisc wrote:So sorry to hear this. I am having a few days next week in MV/LC. I will have everything crossed that my experience will be better than what you had to endure.
Cheers Craig
Sounds like captain Kaos did not conduct enough research. Poor cellar door staff to have to deal with such unruly customers.
Im sure you will be more accommodating Craig.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes understand that there dills on both sides of the bench at cellar doors. Ridiculous that Chester charges what he does...smacks of desperation and other than the long lunch and free tasting of 30+ wines that I did 18 months ago, certain that I will never be back. Enough to interest me once, but twice no. That said never had an issue at any CD. I do my homework or if an impulse visit which doesn't turn out well, then I am off. Plenty of wine to buy from people who treat you well.
Cheers Craig