Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Benchmark

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by Benchmark »

Ozzie W wrote:2018 Curly Flat White Pinot

It says "White Pinot" on the label, but it's just a Rosé made from Pinot Noir grapes. A remarkably good one at that. Liquid strawberries and cream. A lovely finish which is much longer than your typical Rosé and it creates an element of interest that keeps one coming back for another sip. Perhaps not as complex as Rosé can be, but the drinkability factor makes up for that.
Shells fav Aus pinot is Curly Flat.

We have a vertical stuck in Aus. Should donate it to the MBSC 8)
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Benchmark wrote:
Ozzie W wrote:2018 Curly Flat White Pinot

It says "White Pinot" on the label, but it's just a Rosé made from Pinot Noir grapes. A remarkably good one at that. Liquid strawberries and cream. A lovely finish which is much longer than your typical Rosé and it creates an element of interest that keeps one coming back for another sip. Perhaps not as complex as Rosé can be, but the drinkability factor makes up for that.
Shells fav Aus pinot is Curly Flat.

We have a vertical stuck in Aus. Should donate it to the MBSC 8)
A great producer for Aussie Pinot. Shell has good taste.

I'd love to try one with 10-15 years of cellaring. I've got a couple bottles of the 2013 'The Curly' and the standard one as well in my cellar which I'll open later this decade. I don't have any other vintages. I should rectify that.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Just near my trailhead for the next four days trekking the Negev desert I found a winery.

Hot days and cold nights - typical desert - and reflects in the wine’s natural acidity. Cabernet and Shiraz blend. Great with local dishes

Wasn’t planning any wine adventures in Israel this week though will take home a few nebbiolos from the Golan .

[url=https://postimg.cc/tYKKbvXc][img]https://i.postimg.cc/W1zTMxxs/E7-D88-F79-1-B ... -CFE97.jpg[/img][/url]
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

A few wines over the back half of January:

2015 Pikes Riesling Traditionale, Clare Valley

Evolving nicely, the acidity is calming down with the fruit starting to show a slight sweetness. Limes, wet rocks and long finish. I suspect it will continue to evolve and be in a good drinking window over the next 5-7 years and probably longer. Nice wine.

2015 G.D. Vajra Barolo Albe Nebbiolo

Sweet red fruits, some licorice tones, nice depth of fruit which gives way to good palate weight. Easy drinking with some soft tannins giving a gentle purr on the finish. A nice long finish. Really enjoyable, in a good drinking zone for my tastes.

2013 Greenock Creek Shiraz Seven Acre, Barossa Valley

This was tough going; full bodied, dark and inky. Acidity was really poking out with really ripe dark/black fruits with plenty of oak and an awkward tannin structure. Underlying there was some complexity of fruit, but it was way too big and left a bitter note in the mouth. It did not come together on day two. I am kind of glad this was my one and only bottle. Hmmm.

2017 Ashton Hills Pinot Noir Estate, Adelaide Hills

Light/medium bodied with lovely purity of fruit, easy drinking, touch of spice, with very good palate weight and long finish. Very enjoyable. Consumed over 2 days, was drinking equally well on day two too.

2017 Oakridge Cabernet Sauvignon Original Vineyard, Yarra Valley

Medium bodied at best, quite translucent with a lovely perfumed nose. I would suggest a good decant - the wine unfurls over hours. Layers of flavours with red currants, blackberry, a touch of black olive, dark cherries, dark chocolate with fine grained oak adding gentle spice. The wine is so balanced, I would also say 'restrained' and elegant, delivering wonderful a mouthfeel with a very long finish. Gentle ripe tannins leave a slight 'purr'. Overall an excellent wine at a moderate 13.3% Alc.

2016 Wild Duck Creek Shiraz Malbec Yellow Hammer Hill, Heathcote

Popped and poured. A rich, medium to full bodied wine. Ripe Shiraz notes immediately but after time in the glass, picking up the blackberry/cassis notes of the cabernet. A fruit driven wine at this stage, with the oak playing a supporting role. Looking good at this stage but in my mind needs a few years to come together.

2014 Taylors Shiraz Jaraman, Clare Valley/McLaren Vale

As soon as I cracked the bottle it has a wonderful nose, ripe plums, coffee grounds/mocha. Decanted for 2 hours and consumed through the evening, it got better and better. Just a tad over medium bodied, again ripe plums, blackberry, blueberries, spice, mocha. The fruit weight supported nicely by the oak. Mouthfeel and length on the finish is impeccable for a wine in its price category. This should continue to drink well over the next 5 or so years, a real surprise.

2013 St Hallett Shiraz Blackwell, Barossa Valley

Not as 'big' as I thought it would be, medium bodied. Nice fruit weight with softening tannins, but had an awkward acidity that distracted for me. Consumed over 2 hours after an hour decant it was nice wine but did not thrill on this occasion

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Matt, thanks for the note on the WDCE Hammerhill. Brought 6 of these on the last allocation.
Dave (Duck) Anderson says its his nod to Tony Brady re a Shiraz Malbec blend,(although a small squirt of Cabernet in the last couple of vintages).
I think it a lovely wine, plenty of body and for the price excellent VFM, and a great contrast to the Springflat Shiraz.

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

phillisc wrote:Matt, thanks for the note on the WDCE Hammerhill. Brought 6 of these on the last allocation.
Dave (Duck) Anderson says its his nod to Tony Brady re a Shiraz Malbec blend,(although a small squirt of Cabernet in the last couple of vintages).
I think it a lovely wine, plenty of body and for the price excellent VFM, and a great contrast to the Springflat Shiraz.

Cheers Craig
agreed, I have been buying some each year for the last 3 years. The one I had was gifted to me whilst I was in Melb and we consumed it whilst we were over there. Was in shitty hotel glasses, but still tasted lovely, as you said plenty of body.

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

2016 Antinori Pian Delle Vigne Rosso di Montalcino.

Sangiovese. Fruit forward. No oak. Enough going on to keep you interested. Well balanced.

On a Friday night, it was always going to be good.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UGAvUbsCRY1 ... sp=sharing
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

JamieBahrain wrote:Just near my trailhead for the next four days trekking the Negev desert I found a winery.

Hot days and cold nights - typical desert - and reflects in the wine’s natural acidity. Cabernet and Shiraz blend. Great with local dishes

Wasn’t planning any wine adventures in Israel this week though will take home a few nebbiolos from the Golan .
I want to know more about the hike.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

2015 Clonakilla Shiraz O'Riada Canberra District

Beautiful wine. Medium bodied with impeccable palate weight. Loving the layers of spice and pepper tones, dark fruits and a hint of raspberry tartness. There is a fair bit of acidity which time should no doubt resolve, but overall a delicious wine with a long lingering finish. Sit tight for another 5-10 years. Deserves a long decant of at least 2-3 hours if drinking now.

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

2018 Castello di Querceto Chianti.

It won't blow you away with brilliance but I don't think it has peer VFM.

Time and place always plays a part. Drinking this on the roof of our apartment probably made it taste better.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WLTzTLUWzDy ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EOZYMxlb36u ... sp=sharing
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Thierry Violet Guillemard Pommard 2015
Beautiful nose, cherry and bramble, blackberry. Some cherry and earthiness. Lovely wine.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Cooked up a roast last night and wanted to have a look at:

2014 Wendouree Cabernet Sauvignon Clare Valley

Double decanted around 2pm and then let sit in a large decanter for 4 hours, it opened up nicely and also continued to improve whilst consuming.
Medium bodied/weight, blackcurrants/ribena, ferrous/iron tones, some dried herbs, spice, a touch of menthol. Good level of acidity and grippy tannins on the finish. Really loved the structure and balance of the wine. A long lingering finish. Lovely wine. Note to self, next one in 10 years.

Then followed up with the following watching the AO Final:

2008 Mount Horrocks Riesling Cordon Cut Clare Valley

Rose/Gold colour. Nose and palate shows stewed apricots, brown lime cordial, honey biscuits and some florals. Acid fully resolved, lovely and sweet with a long lasting satisfying finish. A nice surprise.

Rory

Post by Rory »

2013 Pikes The Merle Riesling.
I dunno, maybe in a dumb phase, but generally disappointing considering the marque.
Just seemed lacking across the board.

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

Rory wrote:2013 Pikes The Merle Riesling.
I dunno, maybe in a dumb phase, but generally disappointing considering the marque.
Closure issue my guess.

:D just taking the piss mate!
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

These two on Friday night.

2017 Il Poggione (Proprietá Franceschi) Rosso di Montalcino. 100% sangiovese. Punched above its weight. Good structure for a young wine. We have its big brother (Brunello) which will be interesting. Quality at the price point.

2016 Luigi Bosca Malbec D.O.C. Single Vineyard. We picked two bottles of this up to round out a case at a recent sale. It is rating high on cellartracker for whatever that is worth. Massive fruit, massive oak. Over done and lacked class.

Maybe it struggled after the Rosso, or maybe years of Chianti have changed our palettes. Maybe we are just unfamiliar with the Malbec grape. Either way, it was a hard slop after the Rosso.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwZonBli6w ... E-IAzo2Aog

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1geJ3S0DtKJ ... KuUPktVYbm
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking

Rory

Post by Rory »

[quoteRory wrote:
2013 Pikes The Merle Riesling.

Closure issue my guess.

:D just taking the piss mate!][/quote]

:lol:

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Benchmark wrote:2016 Luigi Bosca Malbec D.O.C. Single Vineyard. We picked two bottles of this up to round out a case at a recent sale. It is rating high on cellartracker for whatever that is worth. Massive fruit, massive oak. Over done and lacked class.
Take those CellarTracker scores with a grain of salt because its user-base is largely from the USA* and they seem to like lots of oak (in general). Look for warning signs in the tasting notes with words like vanilla, coconut, caramel, smoke, toast, clove, etc. Ratings a useful filter to find good wines, but only when combined with tasting notes.

* For those interested, the top 5 countries for the current user-base is:
USA 104410
Canada 11592
UK 6761
Australia 5371
Sweden 3505

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

Cheers Ozzie.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Benchmark wrote:
Closure issue my guess.

Yep I'd be interested here too.

I bought a case of Merle in HKG and the wine was pretty dreary. Think I relegated the whole case to quaffing due lack of fridge space. Can't recall the vintage though would be interested if the wine is known to have a dumb phase or perhaps mine were baked? Though screw cap offers better
defence against heat exposure as I understand.

Teobaldo Cappellano

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

JamieBahrain wrote:Though screw cap offers better defence against heat exposure as I understand.
I did not know that heat travelled through the top of a wine bottle.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

didn't you?

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Takes me back to the days when I managed a bottle shop that had a westerly orientation with bay windows facing the afternoon sun for hours a day. The old type screw caps with a band at the base of the neck (popular with flagon bottlings), would after just a few days begin to bubble and a dome would form at the top...the boss didn't care and said that most of the cheap stuff was on that side, purchased by punters who wouldn't know. At least the better wines were in a more sheltered part of the premises.

Cheers craig

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

JamieBahrain wrote:
Benchmark wrote:
Closure issue my guess.

Yep I'd be interested here too.

I bought a case of Merle in HKG and the wine was pretty dreary. Think I relegated the whole case to quaffing due lack of fridge space. Can't recall the vintage though would be interested if the wine is known to have a dumb phase or perhaps mine were baked? Though screw cap offers better
defence against heat exposure as I understand.
Merle is absolutely laser like, have tried it just a few days after release...simply stunning wine. With Steingarten, Florita, Wigan, Leonay and Contours its right up there. Have 10, 12, 17 and 18 and will get some 19...super wines. Think it sounds affected, yes they all have a bit of a dumb phase but an 02 Petaluma that I had a few weeks back is in the form of its life.

Cheers craig

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I’ve had about 10 vintages of the Merle, including the 13, and all have been good to excellent.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

OK my case of Merle lacked the precision mentioned which was my concern at the time. I'll put it down to a baking somewhere. Wine was giveaway pricing ( which is often more to do with it being unheard of abroad ) an served well as a quaffer. I have never revisited any release of Merle since.

Last night had a Duval Entity Shiraz 2012 which was a very warm and integrated Barossa shiraz. Classic Barossa red and black fruit shades, somewhat primary, fresh leather and blackberry on the palate, bit of a burp of acid upsetting the integration and its either me ( nebbiolo drinker ) or the wine is out of kilter and excessively resolved ( maybe a screw cap issue I've noted before with ageing of red wines under this closure )

Teobaldo Cappellano

Rory

Post by Rory »

2016 Passopisciaro Passobianco. Etna Chardonnay. From Vineyards 850 - 1000 metres!
When i first tried on release i though how Chablisesque it looked, but it was tight and a little unyielding.
Now it is really strutting., and still very Chablis like. Great pure fruit expression with lively acid core. Years ahead of it.

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

Blind tasting impressions with unknown theme (turned out to be Halliday top 10 2020)
2018 First Creek Winemakers Reserve Semillon grassy, soft rounded mid palate, sour finish. needs time
2019 Dukes Magpie Hill Reserve Riesling petrol, smoky, forward, phenolic finish
2016 Dawson and James Pinot Noir eucalypt, sour cherry, some appeal as breathes
2018 Alpha Crucis Old Vines Grenache cherry pink, juicy fruited, alc heat on finish, young and disjointed
2017 Bekkers Syrah/Grenache Suphidic reduction, horsey, solid wine but will sulphides ever integrate?
2017 Bests White Gravel Shiraz smoky oak, bitter tannins, high acid
2017 Wynns Siding Cabernet dense purple/black, hollow middle, old wood, VA, green as warms, SALTY and dirty later
2017 Cullen Diana Madeline dense Purple/Black, herbal and leafy, lacking density on palate, thin finish, young

Voting was done before reveal. Wynns voted as best on night.
To quote another forumite "hmnn"
Drink the wine, not the label.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

My notes for an themed wine evening of 'Sparkling / Whites / Pinots'

All wines served blind:

Wine # 1 - 2007 Larmandier-Bernier Champagne Grand Cru Vieille Vigne du Levant
Lovely yellow gold colour showed it has either age or older material in it. Cheesy/Buttery nose initially, with some wild waxy honey and cream.
A little oxidised notes starting to come through had me thinking it was a very good time to drink it now. Had a wonderful richness that I thought you only get from Pinot....
yet to my shock it was a BdB (100% Chardonnay)
Bruised apples, feels Australian as its missing that chalky minerality I associate with
champagnes.......... gee no matter how much you taste, sample and try there is ALWAYS more to learn! 2g of Dosage as well, a bit shocked at that as it was so rich and not dry at all
My guess as a Vintage Australian Blend of Pinot/Chardonnay was all wrong...not a good start Rossco (wine was good though)

Wine # 2 - 2008 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Fleuron
Like the 1st wine, this had a lovely yellow gold but was brighter in the glass.
Nose had some slight leesy/yeasty/Vegemite characters initially.
Big hit of that chalky minerality, HAS to be champagne territory now.
Again like the 1st has a wonderful creamy richness... feels like a blend of
majority pinot..... ba bow... wrong again. BdB again..... man im bad at this.
Has youth and a very lively feel to the wine, lemon acidity is perfect. Very surprised to see its an 08, felt more like a 2012. Great condition for a 12 year old wine. Sligth florals and white flowers on at the end, plus a hint of oak treatment somewhere in there. Long life ahead.

Wine # 3 - NV Andre Heucq Champagne Heritage Extra Brut
Like the first two wines, lovley Brigh Gold. Chalky, Wet stone and lemon acidity. Quite acidic actually maybe needs a bit more time. Feels Champagne like in its acidity, Green Crunchy Apples as well.

Nose has some oak on it. Not new oak, but it has seen some oak treatment prior to bottling. Good length. Im thinking NV blend, but i have been all wrong so far, so who knows.
Aged on lees for 5 years, 40% Chardonnay, 30% Pinot Noir, 30% Pinot Meunier and mainly from 11 & 12 vintages.... finally got one right!

Wine # 4 - 2017 Cullen Kevin John Chardonnay
My first Cullen White, didnt know what to expect and despite all the rave reviews, it was just ok. In fact I have been disappointed by every Cullen (red or white) I have had. Maybe im just expecting too much from them. This doesn't have the power or richness of a LEAS, doesnt have the fruit depth of Burgundy.... not really sure what its trying to be. Maybe its just too young and needs time to flesh out. Some slight peach, lemon/lime in there, some nutmeg spice type notes, with grapefruit acidity and pears. I did think the oak was perfectly handled though, really supportive and not overpowering, that was a great touch.... i think fruit just let it down others loved it though.

Wine # 5 - 2005 Crawford River Reserve Riesling
First whiff is of petrol and im immediately in aged Riesling territory. This is a bit of a confusing one though as it 'feels' German but doesnt have the 'punch' or balance i get from them. Im thinking Australian and not from SA. Cooler climate for sure though.
Stone and Wet Stone minerals, slight wild honey and has a waxy richness. Doesnt clot the palate as the acidity is right there.....pokes out a bit and is slightly distracting from what is a fantastic wine. Mandarin peel, length goes on and on. Gee this is a cracking wine. I have had Crawfords before, but never the reserve so had a familiarity about it, but with more of everything wound up.

Wine # 6 - 2015 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrieres
This feels like a lighter wine. Still has length but its a very delicate wine. Definitely a younger wine. I dont get the oyster shell or brine, but i cant help but feel this as Chablis....... hahahahaa WRONG.
Lacks the silkiness i usually get from Mersault and maybe the power as well, so you can imagine my shock when I found out it was Mersault.... and a PYCM. As it warmed up that lenght was better and better. Again acid was a bit disjointed and just needs time to integrate. I think im having an off night....

Wine # 7 - 2010 Morey Coffinet Batard Montrachet Grand Cru
Big wine this... immediately had a nose of aniseed and banana peel. Fennel on the palate lead me to corton. Whenever i get Fennel 9 times out of 10 its a corton..... well of course this was the ONE of the ten. Barley sugar but not sweetness, lovely spine of acidity brings into balance perfectly. Colour looked ominous and like premox, but no. Had no issues here, was absolutely singing and the reason I love white burg.

Wine # 8 - 2014 Domaine François Legros Morey St. Denis 1er Cru La Riotte
Lovely and enchanting nose of earth. Smells like red burg, has that forest floor character. Very young though and acid again is prominent. Black fruits here, very high quality. Mushrooms and damp earth again.... but that acidity is overpowering the wine. Leave for a while and will be absolutely fantastic.

Wine # 9 - 1994 Leasingham Classic Clare Sparkling Shiraz
Putting it out there its already a contender for Sparkling Red WOTY. Beautify sweetness that also has a dryness on the palate. Liquorice and black plums, dark/black fruits blackberries and medicinal cherries as well. Bubbles were small, fine and silky you simply cant ask for anything more. The power, the lenght.... this wine was a 'moment' for me. Almost shed a tear for the sheer beauty of this wine. Sit back as we are in the presence of greatness. Cant see any other sparkling red beating this.... not even Primo Joseph or Seppelt Show Reserve

Wine # 10 - 2006 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese
And this is why the Germans are so good at this variety. Another WOTY contender for sweet whites. When a wine like this comes along, you really sit up and take notice, its commanding. Pineapple, Barley Sugar sweetness, but NO alcohol/heat at all. Mango and tropical fruit, feels like a high botrytis year, but perfect acid to balance it out. Not cloying or overt sweetness, but powerful all at the same time. Only 7.5% astonishing and that length..... I can almost still taste it. Another wine moment and this knocked it out of the park.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

had a truly excellent Australian Pinot Noir last night, a very rare experience for me!!

2015 Yeringberg Pinot Noir

2015 was a highly successful Yarra Valley vintage, and this wine might just about be the best from it..... edging out the Mount Mary in my opinion.
Glorious nose of bright red fruits, delicate strawberries, some earth and faint hint of oak and anise. Long, linear palate with tremendous focus and drive. An infant, but really quite spectacular. A lesson for the vast majority of pinot makers in Australia who constantly churn out fruit-forward, flabby and un-interesting wines. 92pts drink: 2020-2035.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Rossco wrote: Wine # 10 - 2006 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese
And this is why the Germans are so good at this variety. Another WOTY contender for sweet whites. When a wine like this comes along, you really sit up and take notice, its commanding. Pineapple, Barley Sugar sweetness, but NO alcohol/heat at all. Mango and tropical fruit, feels like a high botrytis year, but perfect acid to balance it out. Not cloying or overt sweetness, but powerful all at the same time. Only 7.5% astonishing and that length..... I can almost still taste it. Another wine moment and this knocked it out of the park.
Good pickup - 06 was a big botrytis year in the Mosel, even the kabinetts have some bot character. Love the higher pradikat JJ Prums, never over the top in any way.