Universal Glasses

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
AdamR

Universal Glasses

Post by AdamR »

Hi all,
After an impulsive purchase of a myriad of wine glass types I for the last five years have been happy with a Pinot glass, typical white wine glass and a Shiraz glass. Between those three types I can cater to what I commonly drink.

My in-laws are living with us and now I have only a single white wine glass and two Shiraz glasses. I still have enough Pinot glasses.

I will buy some more soon but am choosing between replacing the Shiraz/Riesling glasses as they were or buying a set of universals such as Gabrielglas. My question is for those that use a universal glass, how well do you think they do in comparison. I’d use them for everything except Pinot, Nebbiolo, Chardonnay grape wines. If I could encourage a quick response that’d even more helpful.

Willard

Re: Universal Glasses

Post by Willard »

Hi Adam,

I have a few Zalto universal that I use at home, and I use them for everything excluding Pinot, Nebb, and Chard as you say. I find them ideal for everything else, Riesling/shiraz ideal, and if I were in your position I would just get a universal set.

I haven’t used Gabriel Glas though they look a similar size.

Will
wills.wines

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Zalto Universals and GGs are both really good...but realistically, you're paying mainly for the enjoyment of using such a light glass...You can probably
get away with a normal slightly larger white wine glass and be happy with that.

I have also found GG Standards to be good..but they feel heavy and a bit clunky compared to Zalto Universals and GG Golds...but they provide a nice middle ground...

But getting back to something like a Zalto Universal...They can be used for anything really...Pinot, Chard, Neb included....Been very happy using it for any type of wine..including Champagne...I do think for something like Pinot, using a Zalto Burg is slightly better but also a bit clunkier...

I also find that Zaltos tend to show alcohol more...so bigger reds with higher alcohol I think suffer a bit in these types of glasses...

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Polymer wrote:I also find that Zaltos tend to show alcohol more...so bigger reds with higher alcohol I think suffer a bit in these types of glasses...
I've noticed this too. As with any glass that bows inward toward the rim, it will concentrate the alcohol aromas around the rim. The Zaltos with their "specially" designed angles seem to exacerbate the effect. Try and sniff as close to the centre of the glass as you can, rather than the near the rim.

mjs

Post by mjs »

I recently tried the relatively new universal glass released by Jancis Robinson, developed by Richard Brendon. It was a noticeable improvement over other tasting glasses at a tasting in the Yarra Valley, mc’d by Jancis and Sir James. Worth considering. Quite fine like the Zalto, about the same price.

[url]https://richardbrendon.com/pages/jancis-robinson[/url]
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

AdamR

Post by AdamR »

Thank you all for the time you took. I made a decision and used my connection to replace my glasses with Riedel. I had a connection to their restaurant range which I’ve found to be nice to use and robust.

Thanks again. Oh and if someone wants to pick up to some cab merlot glasses I’ve got six more than needed. (Assuming this comment is allowed)

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Ozzie W wrote:
Polymer wrote:I also find that Zaltos tend to show alcohol more...so bigger reds with higher alcohol I think suffer a bit in these types of glasses...
I've noticed this too. As with any glass that bows inward toward the rim, it will concentrate the alcohol aromas around the rim. The Zaltos with their "specially" designed angles seem to exacerbate the effect. Try and sniff as close to the centre of the glass as you can, rather than the near the rim.
I like larger rounder "red wine" bowls like Riedels when combined with bigger reds...I don't know exactly why but it just seems like there is a bit more "normal" air when I take a sniff? Which sort of balances out the alcohol on the nose better...or something like that.....I think Zalto Bordeaux can also help although I still think bigger reds are better in a bigger rounder bowl...at least when it comes to alcohol.

That said, it has nothing to do with the drinking of wine, but I'm addicted to these light glasses...Forgetting about performance because there is no best glass out there, I just think heavier glasses feel so clunky and caveman like now..which is silly because there are plenty of very beautiful and effective glasses out there..but getting a super thin glass and using it just feels nice. It adds to the overall experience even though it has nothing to do with the wine itself...

Its still upsetting when you break them...but I've also noticed that people are less worried about them now...as if a 60 dollar glass is now the norm...

mjs

Post by mjs »

We are talking about fine universal glasses. It takes me back to the late 70’s when I first moved to Melbourne from Adelaide. Went down the Mornington Peninsula one weekend with a girlfriend to a few craft outlets (this was pre-winery days :D :D ) and bought a couple of pottery wine goblets. I kid you not, the rim was about a cm thick and you would scrape your teeth on the goblet. Absolutely state of the art at the time for wine consumption. :lol: :lol: :D :D
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

mjs wrote:We are talking about fine universal glasses. It takes me back to the late 70’s when I first moved to Melbourne from Adelaide. Went down the Mornington Peninsula one weekend with a girlfriend to a few craft outlets (this was pre-winery days :D :D ) and bought a couple of pottery wine goblets. I kid you not, the rim was about a cm thick and you would scrape your teeth on the goblet. Absolutely state of the art at the time for wine consumption. :lol: :lol: :D :D
Haha..that's what normal glasses feel like now!

When I pull out my Riedels now, these things feel like huge stoneware goblets...

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Slightly off topic, but I'm going off Zalto. They are superfine and lovely to hold, but nerve wracking to clean. AS a few have noted they present alcohol and on occasion faults in a very precise way. I speculate that is because the glasses are relatvely squat for their volume and put your nose closer to the liquid surface than some.

I'm about to buy some Riedel Shiraz shaped glasses for universal glassware, and use Schott Zwiesel "The First" for Pinot, Chard and Neb,

tonym

Post by tonym »

could I ask where you get the Schott first edition from and what sort of price are they? I particularly like the older Burgundy glasses which were a bargain at $15 a pair when on special at a certain large retail outlet

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

tonym wrote:could I ask where you get the Schott first edition from and what sort of price are they? I particularly like the older Burgundy glasses which were a bargain at $15 a pair when on special at a certain large retail outlet
Hi Tony, I bought them in Germany as part of a large order of Schott and Zalto, and the all up imported price was about $A70 per stem :shock: The store I bought them from doesn't seem to stock them anymore and they now seem very hard to find, and I've seen a note on British retailers website which says these are no longer a stock item and are made to order with 16 week lead time (!) - shame as I want a few more. They are a taller glass than the equivalent Zalto, and more robust to handle albeit not as fine,

mjs

Post by mjs »

Everten has a range of Schott, maybe not "The First" though, good pricing

[url]https://www.everten.com.au/schott-zwiesel.html[/url]

At the risk of breaching posting rules, WineSelectors also has a good range

[url]https://www.wineselectors.com.au/schottzwies ... d#products[/url]

failing all that, if you are in Melbourne, Hotel Agencies (opposite Scopri in Nicholson St) has a good range and cheap prices, you can order on-line

[url]https://www.hotelagenciesrestaurantsupplies. ... C+code+asc[/url]

failing that, as a last resort, evilbay has some
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

tonym

Post by tonym »

Thanks for the reply, the First are very hard to find. There doesn't seem to be any retailer in OZ that stocks them.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Gabriel Glas are really good as well....slightly wider bowl I think does a better job when it comes to alcohol although my experience with them is just a fraction of that of a Zalto.

The Golds are super super light...20-30g lighter than a Zalto (which is hard to believe). The Standards are nice but a bit heavy...at least in comparison to the other two. Its no heavier than a Riedel...I'd imagine that also means it is tougher though...