A call to arms - Adelaide Hills Fires

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dave vino

A call to arms - Adelaide Hills Fires

Post by dave vino »

Some of Adelaide Hills vineyards affected by the terrible bushfires.
https://glamadelaide.com.au/heres-the-bushfi ... r-support/

This post by the winemakers sister, really hit home for me. I know from many visits to many, many different wineries of the passion and dedication of all the winemakers, to be confronted with such a heartbreaking setback.

I hope she doesn't mind me posting it...
The last time I saw my brother cry was in 1989 when he was in hospital for a leg operation. He was 9 years old. ⁣
The next time was today.⁣
He’s lost everything. His house, his business, his beautiful adored grapevines, his pride and joy. Years and years of toil on a business that he built from scratch and now it’s all gone.

@vinteloper was his life’s work and as anyone who runs a business knows, it’s hard enough. ⁣
If you’re looking for some way to help, please, #buyfromthebush and get some wine direct from his website. I’ll put the link in my bio. The cashflow is much needed if he’s ever going to be able to rebuild. And if he can’t, you might just have one of the last bottles of wine that he made.⁣
I’m heartbroken for you Dave
vin1.JPG
vin2.JPG
So I guess we can only support this as she suggests and that is by buying up his wines and helping out the rebuilding process (https://www.vinteloper.com.au/). I know it is a terrible time of the year, with Xmas, the Bushfires, most people don't have much cash leftover, but if anyone has the means it would be great to support some of the wineries that were affected, that provide the basis for our great love.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paulf

Re: A call to arms - Adelaide Hills Fires

Post by paulf »

I've met David a few times over the years and he is a good bloke (as well as being very tall and one of Australia's fittest winemakers).
I loved the way he built up his business, and he was producing some really nice wines. I've just ordered up. Maybe a certain basketballing friend of David's might like to become an investor.

Was the Cellar door at Lot 100 spared? There are a number of other businesses involved at the site there.

Not a good week for winemakers named David, with David Lloyd at Eldridge from Eldridge estate on the Mornington Peninsula being diagnosed with an aggressive form of lymphoma

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Absolutely agree with this one! I've bought a bunch of Vinteloper wines today to help out.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Taken from this mornings web page from the Adelaide Advertiser ( apologies Gavin, don't think copyright is at stake here)

Those affected include Vinteloper, Tilbrook Estate, Golding Wines, Tomich Wines, Anderson Hill, Nova Vita Wines, Turon Wines, Henschke, Bird in Hand, ArtWine, Petaluma, New Era Vineyards, Geoff Weaver and Simon Tolley Wines.

Some lost everything, including their homes.

“Broadly we know that 30 per cent of the Hills vineyards (1100ha) were in the fire area but the damage to all of these is yet to determined,”

Have brought some Petaluma in recent days, and buy ArtWine and Bird in Hand

Will see what I can do in the new year.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

paulf wrote:I've met David a few times over the years and he is a good bloke (as well as being very tall and one of Australia's fittest winemakers).
I loved the way he built up his business, and he was producing some really nice wines. I've just ordered up. Maybe a certain basketballing friend of David's might like to become an investor.

Was the Cellar door at Lot 100 spared? There are a number of other businesses involved at the site there.

Not a good week for winemakers named David, with David Lloyd at Eldridge from Eldridge estate on the Mornington Peninsula being diagnosed with an aggressive form of lymphoma
Not sure, there were a couple more photos, one was of a shed (but not the large one featured on their website) and the other looked like the main house. You can see the Xmas lights still wrapped around the column of the verandah... :cry:

Wow, really sorry to hear about Dave LLoyd, he makes some great wines. He was the first one that introduced me to clonal varieties with his Pinots and how different they could be. I remember being at the CD and going through them to this day and being blown away by it.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Thanks Dave,

I've ordered a mixed case of Sh/18 and R/19. Hopefully with the cellar door sales tax concessions they get all the $400 and this goes a small way in helping them rebuild.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

tuxy85

Post by tuxy85 »

I saw on the Henschke Facebook page that they have lost their Pinot Noir Vineyard - "The Alan" planted in 1983.

I'll be interested to see if they continue to make pinot noir sourced from other vineyards and continue to sell it under the lesser "Giles" Pinot Noir.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

It seems the drive to get the public to buy a bottle is having a positive effect.

Buying and then drinking a bottle of Adelaide Hills wine isn't a hard charity sell !

By now you may have seen the scale of the Adelaide Hills Bushfire disaster.
As I write this, at least 30% of the Adelaide Hills Wine Region has been affected. The size of the burn area is huge. For scale, it's almost the size of the Adelaide metro area.

For us, it was 100% of the vineyard. No recovery. Bulldoze and re-plant.
Not to be dramatic, but it's still on fire. For the last week, we have been putting out flare-ups and hot spots to protect our neighbours.

We've also been taking stock of the damage.

In all the gloom; a bright spot. The winery was saved. The same wind change that destroyed our vineyard saved the winery (which is minutes down the road).
I don't want to understate the gravity of your support. This has been the toughest time in our history. And you, with your order, are now considered a life-long kinfolk. You are - in the most real way - part of saving us from the darkness.

So this note is to say; thank you.

And also, please be patient with deliveries. We are quite literally still putting out fires, so once the smoke clears and the dust settles, we will process your order.

With the circumstances we are facing, we're expecting to roll out deliveries in mid-Jan.

If you need your wine before then, please let us know and we will do our level best to sort something out for you.

David Bowley
Owner and Founder
VINTELOPER.

Teobaldo Cappellano

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

purchased 3 X 2018 TN from vinteloper.
Great drop.

Good luck and godspeed to David and all ther other wine folk doing it tough in the Ade Hills.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

My wife is at ADL Airport Duty Free so going through their offerings online I found Bird In Hand. So she's bought three bottles of their white - in a small way a charitable purchase I guess.

Teobaldo Cappellano

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I got my order today, had a small portion of burnt out post from the vineyard and a nice hand written note. Will be sure to have one this weekend.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Went to throw away the carton from vinteloper and found this in the bottom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Partially on topic - by the time i got to checking what was available on the Vinteloper website everything other than the superduper premium wines were sold out - fantastic outcome!
Another area that has been affected is Kangaroo Island. I rate Islander Estate, who have lost a chunk of the Bark Hut Road vineyard. So ordered wine from them to help out in exactly the same way,

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Yep, well done to all the wine lovers out there. I gifted my mum a bottle of the Shiraz and she really liked it, and wanted to grab a few bottles but like you I found they were all sold out. He has some museum release Pinots from 2014 and Chardonnay left and the Odeon Range but basically everything else is gone.

From their website...
The ringleaders of grown up fun | ADELAIDE HILLS | est. 2008

On Saturday 21st December 2019 we thought Vinteloper was done. Bushfire tore through 95% of our vineyard, and the farm house.

Then you spoke. Through messages, calls, and by buying our wine.

The equation for us is simple. We can now rebuild.

Thank you.

A lot of our everyday wines are sold out, but there are a few rare bottles of the collectable and timeless ODEON range remaining.

Thanks to your support;

WE ARE [STILL] THE RINGLEADERS OF GROWN UP FUN.

FUN ON THE OUTSIDE + SERIOUS IN THE BOTTLE

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Wizz wrote:Partially on topic - by the time i got to checking what was available on the Vinteloper website everything other than the superduper premium wines were sold out - fantastic outcome!
Another area that has been affected is Kangaroo Island. I rate Islander Estate, who have lost a chunk of the Bark Hut Road vineyard. So ordered wine from them to help out in exactly the same way,
Thanks for the tip. Loved KI when we visited a couple of years ago and were going to go back in January next year. Terrible destruction. Have ordered a case.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis