Christmas selections

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
phillisc

Christmas selections

Post by phillisc »

Merry Christmas Gavin and to all Auswiners, its been fun this year, a couple of thousand posts racked up and lively banter.

After the hordes have left ( we have 20 for lunch and 15 are exclusively beer and whisky drinkers) I thought a little mini Great Western horizontal might be in order with left overs, cheeses and salads (98 Bests Bin 0, Thompson's and a Seppelts St Peters)...need to start looking at a few oldies.

What are some of the picks others have lined up?

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Mahmoud Ali

Re: Christmas selections

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Craig,

I would be very interested to hear how the 1998 Bin 0 is coming along and would appreciate hearing what you think.

Christmas is over at my aunt's place and most are very temperate drinkers, in fact sipping would be a more apt description, so likely a bottle of my house red to go with the turkey and all he trimmings.

Mahmoud.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

All
I have some Rockford Black Sparkling which I have yet to try. Have heard it is ideal for Xmas. Any suggestions for drinking time of day and food match?

Cheers

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

I hear BS is good for breakfast with bacon and egg muffins - also good throughout the day by its self, or with roast meat/veggies

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

A_Steady wrote:I hear BS is good for breakfast with bacon and egg muffins - also good throughout the day by its self, or with roast meat/veggies
BS? there'll be plenty of that after lunch. :P
As for vino im thinking white. Some tyrells vat 1 sem. surely goes with shell fish.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Indeed Scotty, forgot the obligatory Riesling to accompany various crustaceans, could entice a beer drinker, who knows :shock:

Cheers craig

tuxy85

Post by tuxy85 »

I am spending Christmas at my in-laws. They don't really drink much other than the odd XXXX gold or 1 or two glasses of plonk here and there. As such I am not going to share my best - I am taking a couple of bottles of Deep Woods Estate Harmony Rose ($12 per bottle) for Christmas lunch. I am sure they will be well received.

When I return home, my wife and I will share a some of a recent order from Rockford including Moppa Springs and Alicante Bouchet. On NYE I plan to share a Morey Saint Denis 1 er Cru - Clos De Ormes 2009 (Burgundy Made for Prancing Horse Estate, Mornington Peninsula) and a bottle of Lanson Gold Label to bring in the New Year.

Redav

Post by Redav »

tuxy85 wrote:I am spending Christmas at my in-laws. They don't really drink much other than the odd XXXX gold or 1 or two glasses of plonk here and there. As such I am not going to share my best - I am taking a couple of bottles of Deep Woods Estate Harmony Rose ($12 per bottle) for Christmas lunch. I am sure they will be well received.
Man... half your posts resemble my world, Rockford, Wineark, Keyneton Euphonium and now this haha

I've heard my parents have found some Champagne, no idea what it is but my old man drinks regularly XXXX and George Wyndham's BIN 555 and I'm not sure he's been convinced that a little more can make a difference. It's my sisters place for Christmas lunch this year so prawns and cold meats will feature (for us, lunch was a hot meal). So I'm yet to work out what to bring. As you say, it'll be lost on them if I bring something decent :lol: I might go for something white, and offdry as my mum and sister prefer Moscato or similar and I can't stomach that.

tuxy85

Post by tuxy85 »

Redav wrote:
tuxy85 wrote:I am spending Christmas at my in-laws. They don't really drink much other than the odd XXXX gold or 1 or two glasses of plonk here and there. As such I am not going to share my best - I am taking a couple of bottles of Deep Woods Estate Harmony Rose ($12 per bottle) for Christmas lunch. I am sure they will be well received.
Man... half your posts resemble my world, Rockford, Wineark, Keyneton Euphonium and now this haha

I've heard my parents have found some Champagne, no idea what it is but my old man drinks regularly XXXX and George Wyndham's BIN 555 and I'm not sure he's been convinced that a little more can make a difference. It's my sisters place for Christmas lunch this year so prawns and cold meats will feature (for us, lunch was a hot meal). So I'm yet to work out what to bring. As you say, it'll be lost on them if I bring something decent :lol: I might go for something white, and offdry as my mum and sister prefer Moscato or similar and I can't stomach that.
Thankfully my side of the family drink both quality and quantity. They are visiting early in the new year and will make up for the time spent with my teetotaller in-laws.

tuxy85

Post by tuxy85 »

tuxy85 wrote:
Redav wrote:

Thankfully my side of the family drink both quality and quantity. They are visiting early in the new year and will make up for the time spent with my teetotaller in-laws.
For prawns and cold meats I can definitely recommend that Deep Woods Estate Rose mentioned above. It is one of the best sub $20 rose wines around.

Con J

Post by Con J »

A_Steady wrote:I hear BS is good for breakfast with bacon and egg muffins - also good throughout the day by its self, or with roast meat/veggies
A few of years ago I had bacon and eggs on toast for dinner with a Rockford Basket Press Shiraz, I think it was a 2002, very nice.

Christmas day we are having lamb and chicken rotisserie over charcoal.
Starting with a 1994 Leasingham Classic Clair Sparkling Shiraz then maybe a 1995 Reynell Basket Press Cabernet.

Cheers Con.

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

phillisc wrote:Merry Christmas Gavin and to all Auswiners, its been fun this year, a couple of thousand posts racked up and lively banter.

After the hordes have left ( we have 20 for lunch and 15 are exclusively beer and whisky drinkers) I thought a little mini Great Western horizontal might be in order with left overs, cheeses and salads (98 Bests Bin 0, Thompson's and a Seppelts St Peters)...need to start looking at a few oldies.

Cheers Craig
I am planning to have a Seppelt GW Reserve and a E&E Black Pepper Sparkling, both from 1998.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

a sparkilng shiraz rom 1998, that should be interesting. Please let us know what it's like.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

I am going to the UK for Xmas, rented a house with some close friends in the New Forest area.
We will have three drinkers, one non-drinker and one light drinker.

For the moment I have a few things lined up to bring from Paris... 2017 Grosset Riesling, Albert Bichot Meursault 2017, the rare and unusual Bollinger La Côte aux Enfants 2015 (a dry Red produced in Champagne), perhaps a Duval Leroy Vintage 2006 champagne or otherwise I might grab something else.

Then the question is what of the reds? My friend still has about 18 wines I previously had in my wine fridge in London so it depends if my records of what exactly is there remains correct!
If they are, I am thinking
2006 Domenico Clerico Barolo Pajana
Something Passopisciaro
2011 Giovanni Chiappini Bolgheri Superiore Guado de' Gemoli
2009 Bodegas Beronia Rioja Reserva 198 Barricas
Maybe something La Rioja Alta

Anyway that's a start.
------------------------------------
Sam

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

sjw_11 wrote:I am going to the UK for Xmas, rented a house with some close friends in the New Forest area.
We will have three drinkers, one non-drinker and one light drinker.

For the moment I have a few things lined up to bring from Paris... 2017 Grosset Riesling, Albert Bichot Meursault 2017, the rare and unusual Bollinger La Côte aux Enfants 2015 (a dry Red produced in Champagne), perhaps a Duval Leroy Vintage 2006 champagne or otherwise I might grab something else.

Then the question is what of the reds? My friend still has about 18 wines I previously had in my wine fridge in London so it depends if my records of what exactly is there remains correct!
If they are, I am thinking
2006 Domenico Clerico Barolo Pajana
Something Passopisciaro
2011 Giovanni Chiappini Bolgheri Superiore Guado de' Gemoli
2009 Bodegas Beronia Rioja Reserva 198 Barricas
Maybe something La Rioja Alta

Anyway that's a start.
To be clear, we are there for a week! That isn't just for Xmas day! :lol: :lol:
Sam

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Alex F wrote:
phillisc wrote:Merry Christmas Gavin and to all Auswiners, its been fun this year, a couple of thousand posts racked up and lively banter.

Cheers Craig
I am planning to have a Seppelt GW Reserve and a E&E Black Pepper Sparkling, both from 1998.
You have given me an idea Alex, instead of the 98 St Peters, I remember I have a sixer of the both the 97 and 98 Seppelts GW Reserve Shiraz. Both wines particularly the 98 were widely panned for being oak monsters and the winemaker at the time said it was an experiment and would not be repeated again, the 98 was the last edition, the fruit now going to St Peters. I have had 2 of each and thought they were fabulous, not oaky for me. If I cannot find one of the Bests, will substitute with another Seppelts.

cheers Craig

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

A_Steady wrote:I hear BS is good for breakfast with bacon and egg muffins

I've heard this for years too. Always wanted to try. Come breakfast time I want coffee though with stomach turning at the idea.

I brought back a lot of Rockfords and very pleased to get TRS on this year's order. The behaviour in the line was the last bag of rice/ famine scenario ! Not for the faint hearted. Try and get a form beforehand.

So lots of sparkling shiraz, BP and SVS. Vine Vale riesling.

For me, Barolo Chinato and a few moderately good Barolo and Barbarescos will be under the table. Rockfords will be more of a crowd hit.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

JamieBahrain wrote:
I brought back a lot of Rockfords and very pleased to get TRS on this year's order.
(assuming TRS is the tourist refund scheme after security and immigration) I didn't realise you could do this, don't they take liquids off you when going through international security?

Is there somewhere before border control that the TRS can be claimed?

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

We're also not a big Christmas drinking family, so it will be Riesling with mostly cold cuts on what will probably be a balmy Christmas day. i have heaps left over from the Auburn days so Auburn Riesling en magnum it is...

But that wont stop me sipping on Rockford Black while I' doing the 14 hour brisket the night before...

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

A_Steady wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:
I brought back a lot of Rockfords and very pleased to get TRS on this year's order.
(assuming TRS is the tourist refund scheme after security and immigration) I didn't realise you could do this, don't they take liquids off you when going through international security?

Is there somewhere before border control that the TRS can be claimed?
I believe there is a customs office at baggage check-in, where you can TRS goods that need to be checked into your baggage sighted. I think you get a form that is then brought to the TRS counter airside.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Yes that's correct. I've been doing it for 15 years and often don't bother until better recent pratices.

Adelaide is quite good with a drop box. Wines sighted and checked for correct invoice details and your form signed. Drop into a box after customs and duty free shops.

If you can nail it, worth the bother. Though I'm guessing many travel abroad to drink foreign wine?

Teobaldo Cappellano

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Primo Joseph Sparkling Red (for me, for some reason to one else in the family likes the variety.... More for me)
Clover hill vintage sparkling
Salo chardonnay
Crudo Rose
Red will be dependent on weather
Vintage Port. Probably S & K 2004

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

I would love to get a good sparkling red for Xmas but I never see them over here.
Sam

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

sjw_11 wrote:I would love to get a good sparkling red for Xmas but I never see them over here.
Hi Sam
One worth a try (different style to aussie examples) is Bulles de Miniere by Chateau de Miniere in the Loire valley (so decent chance of availability)

The grape used is Cabernet Franc, and they've pleasingly retained some of the tannic grip of that grape and not made it oversweet either. We had it with a picnic on the beach this summer, but I reckon it should be a good option for people wanting red fizz at the table.

Regards
Ian

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Sparkling “Barbaresco” is fun . Very dry . Made as a joke but pretty good

Teobaldo Cappellano

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Rossco wrote:Vintage Port. Probably S & K 2004
Would love a report on this Rossco. Birth year wine for middle son and looking at cracking my first in 2022.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

We're in the Barossa for Christmas so we have brought across a stack of old Clonakilla wines to show them how it's done. Finesse, sophistication, pork-barrelling and an overriding sense of superiority is what we're looking to add to the day. ;-)

The wine we're really looking forward to trying is a magnum of Clonakilla SV 2001. Has anyone tried the 2001 lately or any magnums from around this vintage?

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Packed the wine this morning to take to my sisters house for Christmas with the family.

The obligatory couple of bottles of Rockford Black Shiraz (2016 disgorge). It's a tradition of ours that's been going on for many years now.
A couple of bottles of 2019 Tomfoolery Rose. Made form Cabernet Franc grapes and it's the perfect mix of sweetness while still being a little dry.
2013 Red Hill Chardonnay. Really nice Chardonnay.
2012 Ashbrook Chardonnay. One of my favourites.
And a couple of 2018 Tomfoolery High Cotton Shiraz Pinot. My wife's current favourite. Bit expensive to be a quaffer, but we have gone through a dozen in the last 6 months! So easy to drink.

Wishing all the forumites and their families a very Merry Christmas and a bigger and better 2020.

Also everyone's thoughts should be with all the people who are battling these horrendous bush fires. The scenes are just indescribable. My hat goes off to all the volunteers who are risking life and limb to fight these fires. They are the real super heroes, not someone in a cape.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

kohen

Post by kohen »

A couple of magnums to start; Patrick Puize 18 Chablis & Susucaru Etna Rosato 18s.
Deviation Rd Loftia, Sami ODI #7, Oakridge Garden Gris & Pikes Merle

Cheers to 2019 !

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

My last bottle of 2006 Ashton Hills Sparkling Shiraz.