Anyone tried the latest Rockfords?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dave vino

Re: Anyone tried the latest Rockfords?

Post by dave vino »

Why? Because I can... :D

Nose is quite closed at the moment, some pepper/spice notes, and blackberry/dark cherry and milk chocolate. Very creamy and silky (whole bunch?) or maybe that Basket Press goodness and gentle pressing. There is a good amount of acid which suggests this is built for the 10 years suggested on the label. Yet once again I feel they are straddling the fence to appease the drink nows and the cellar for later crowds and having a bet each way - built to last mid-term but approachable now. Tannins are really fine and almost sneak up on you as an after thought, yet are all-pervading through your mouth upon arriving. The acidity really lends to a lighter almost cleaner style I must say, what was the 2016 vintage like? I can't find my Rockford Rag. There is a real lip smacking element about this wine, think Moppa Springs.

Given how my tastes have changed over the years, I am seeing a directional change of the Rockfords to a more, dare I say 'modern' style of wine, while keeping a tip of the hat to the old style. So yes this a big positive for me.

One thing I did notice, it does put on weight when a bit warmer, so if you prefer the more traditional style, let it warm 2-3C more than what you would normally drink it at.

Good to be back 'home' :-)

[img]http://www.grapemates.org/files/Misc/IMG_3100.JPG[/img]

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

I tasted the ‘16 BP today at the Stonewall room and rate it highly, (I’m pretty easy to please) very easy drinking now. I also liked the new Dry Grown Grenache, ($46.00 bottle) and the ‘17 Rifle Range is a ripper.
It’s late and I haven’t worked out how to post photos yet, if I had I would post the pricing page with their spiel on the Grenache. Long table lunch there tomorrow, life is tough.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

dave vino wrote: ... There is a good amount of acid which suggests this is built for the 10 years suggested on the label ... built to last mid-term but approachable now ... There is a real lip smacking element about this wine, think Moppa Springs.
Thinking of Moppa Springs, my 1998 was glorious at 20 years, so I reckon that the "10 years" on the back label is a bit of an understatement.

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Thanks fellas, feel more reassured about putting in an order
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Reading the rag and Robert’s justification of cork must rile a few? TCA is a thing of the past! Said as self-convincingly as many others of late - Roberto Conterno for instance .
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Redav

Post by Redav »

He has been saying this for a while too

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

The zero taint line?

Teobaldo Cappellano

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

The ones they are using now are apparently guaranteed taint free. Run through a high speed TCA screening device, I am 1 for 1 taint free so far :-)

Jimmya

Post by Jimmya »

TCA is only 1 of the issues with cork, what about oxidation?

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Considering cork problems over the years I was surprised at Robert’s confidence .

I’m OK as a customer with his direction . New use of technology evolution and they have a solid refund policy if anything wrong .

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

JamieBahrain wrote:Considering cork problems over the years I was surprised at Robert’s confidence .

I’m OK as a customer with his direction . New use of technology evolution and they have a solid refund policy if anything wrong .
+1 have recently had cane cut stickies replaced
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Booked in for Stone Wall lunch early next year. Any forumites been lately?
4-5 hrs for a long lunch at Rockfords can think of worst ways to spend an afternoon. :wink:
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

I was there for a Stone Wall lunch first weekend of November, a very enjoyable way to spend 5+ hours and try the latest released BP, not forgetting the aged wines served with lunch, ('92 BP this time)

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

A_Steady wrote:I was there for a Stone Wall lunch first weekend of November, a very enjoyable way to spend 5+ hours and try the latest released BP, not forgetting the aged wines served with lunch, ('92 BP this time)
What did you think of the latest BP?
Imugene, cure for cancer.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

I liked it enough to get all 6, I had planned on only getting 3.....

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

A_Steady wrote:I was there for a Stone Wall lunch first weekend of November, a very enjoyable way to spend 5+ hours and try the latest released BP, not forgetting the aged wines served with lunch, ('92 BP this time)
Great to see they are showing off old BP. I went to the early events ( must have been early 2000’s ) and it was usual but later on they seemed to run out of back vintages.

Always thought their passive cellar below too warm for long term ageing as my bottles from professional cellaring a number of notches better .

Teobaldo Cappellano

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

JamieBahrain wrote:
Great to see they are showing off old BP. I went to the early events ( must have been early 2000’s ) and it was usual but later on they seemed to run out of back vintages.

Always thought their passive cellar below too warm for long term ageing as my bottles from professional cellaring a number of notches better .
Having a look back, I have been served a few older wines at the lunches - with a couple of repeats.
June 16, '95 Triaged / '16 Disgorged Black Shiraz (mag), '00 Rod & Spur, '02 BP
June 17, '95 Triaged / '16 Disgorged Black Shiraz (mag), '02 BP, '04 Eden Valley Riesling
June 18, '01 Rod & Spur, '98 BP, '05 Eden Valley Riesling
Nov 19, '92 BP, '02 Vine Vale Riesling, '07 Moppa
Last edited by A_Steady on Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

A_Steady did you happen to try the 2016 Rod and Spur...I am thinking of getting a few when I visit. The 16 Rifle Range is a very good wine.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

The Rifle Range seems to be an underrated wine from my limited experience.

I did try the '16 Rod n Spur, I found it to be a typical solid vintage - maybe not great but definitely good - I have 3 put away. ( went for 3 + some half bottles of '16 RR)

If you can get into the Stonewall room while there you must try the Grenache

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

A_Steady wrote:If you can get into the Stonewall room while there you must try the Grenache
By "the Grenache" do you mean the 'Moppa Springs' or has the 'Dry Grown Grenache' been resurrected?

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
A_Steady wrote:If you can get into the Stonewall room while there you must try the Grenache
By "the Grenache" do you mean the 'Moppa Springs' or has the 'Dry Grown Grenache' been resurrected?
The “Dry Country Grenache” has been resurrected as a Stonewall tasting room only wine - as the SVS was in the past (Stonewallers visiting in person)

Current vintage is ‘15 @ $46 a bottle, with a 6 bottle limit.

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

JamieBahrain wrote:

Have been told that they still have plenty of old cellar stock of BP but that they've found that a majority of Stonewall Lunch punters aren't enjoying (read that "understanding") the older vintages these days and they've had some negative feedback. So now they usually serve up early 2000s on. Not everyone has been drinking BP for decades and not everyone likes old wine. I was in Stonewall cellar a couple of weeks ago and couldn't help but have a chuckle as punter after punter came in to only try the new release of BP and Black Shiraz.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

got to say George, with all respect to Rocky, the BP wines don't necessarily improve beyond 10 years of age, they just get older. Even outstanding old vintages, like 90 and 91, are nice to drink, but offer little or no more interest than the good vintages from the 2000's.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

felixp21 wrote:got to say George, with all respect to Rocky, the BP wines don't necessarily improve beyond 10 years of age, they just get older. Even outstanding old vintages, like 90 and 91, are nice to drink, but offer little or no more interest than the good vintages from the 2000's.
Interesting to hear that you think that the BP doesn't improve beyond 10 years. My own experience with a Moppa Springs was that it was glorious at 20 years of age. Do you think the mourvedre in the blend and perhaps a lighter touch makes the Moppa Springs a better cellaring proposition?

Mahmoud.

tuxy85

Post by tuxy85 »

I am not in the Stonewall Club ..... hopefully I get there one day.

I just placed an order for a case of mostly drink now wines (I'll cellar one Moppa Springs).

3x Alicante Bouchet
2x White Frontignac
2x Frugal Farmer
3x Moppa Springs
2x Eden Valley Riesling

Previously I have only tasted the Moppa Springs, Rod & Spur and Rifle Range Cabernet. I am looking forward to trying the above wines. I think the Alicante Bouchet and White Frontignac will make an appearance for Christmas Lunch.

thebrady28

Post by thebrady28 »

Thought I purchased the Grenache when I was there, couldn't find it anywhere in the fridge, looked up the stairs.
Ended up giving them a buzz and confirmed I hadn't purchased... and that was the 1st stop for the day :|
Advised that they had sold out, but would find me an allocation if I liked.
Have 6 coming through this week!

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Word on the street in the Barossa from some very close, is that the 2016 is the lightest BP ever made but perhaps the best? I guess it will be dependant on what style you are looking for...

Just passing on what I heard. Thoughts are it will be controversial

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Craig,

In your Barossa report you mention having visited Rockford and include the 2012 Black Shiraz in your list of wines that impressed you. I assume the BP didn't make the cut so which vintage did you taste? Or were they between vintages, the '15 being sold out and the '16 yet to be released.

Mahmoud

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Craig,

In your Barossa report you mention having visited Rockford and include the 2012 Black Shiraz in your list of wines that impressed you. I assume the BP didn't make the cut so which vintage did you taste? Or were they between vintages, the '15 being sold out and the '16 yet to be released.

Mahmoud
Hi Craig,

Expanding on Mahmoud's question, the '19 disgorged Black Shiraz is the current release and is available at the CD now - was the '12 you mentioned in your 'Barossa report' a museum release? Or did you try it somewhere other than @ Rockford's

Steady

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

felixp21 wrote:got to say George, with all respect to Rocky, the BP wines don't necessarily improve beyond 10 years of age, they just get older. Even outstanding old vintages, like 90 and 91, are nice to drink, but offer little or no more interest than the good vintages from the 2000's.
I have to disagree... I think the 90, 91, 96 and 98 have all changed, generally for the better, in the past 5-10 years. I think the oak has integrated, and that seems to take a while, albeit the 91 doesn’t seem to have the same velvety tannins I loved a decade ago. Most of those vintages eventually lose the plummy, chocolatey notes and get some real complexity - at least consistent with the same ageing profile as better Aussie shiraz.

OTOH, I would agree with your assertion if was linked to say, Meshach among others