Brisbane Offline - Friday 23 August

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Michael McNally

Brisbane Offline - Friday 23 August

Post by Michael McNally »

Hello Brisbanites

Been a while between drinks. Proposing an offline on Friday 23 Aug. One of our usual venues - happy for alternative suggestions.

Possible theme?: Foreign Muck (Ironic)

Max particpants - 12

Let's see if we can get some new faces along!

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

ticklenow1

Re: Brisbane Offline - Friday 23 August

Post by ticklenow1 »

I’m in.
Will let you know on whether or not I’ll have a plus one.
Happy for Miskin St or if anyone has a better suggestion.
Theme is fine for me, but willing to go with the flow.

Cheers,
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

rens

Post by rens »

Me +1
Theme sounds great.
Brents/85 Miskin is fine with us.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Same old face here :-) + 1 please, Melanie and I will be there

Thanks for setting this up Michael

Willard

Post by Willard »

I'd like to come along, but my wife is out that night. So put me down as tentative at this stage, pending finding a minder for the boys.

Will
wills.wines

rens

Post by rens »

Just checked out the menu at 85 Miskin and it’s all new with a few old favourites like the beef cheeks (Mr Tickle).
On the wine front I have an 08 Bordeaux and a Sangiovese that need to be opened. Unfortunately my German Rizzer are a little young :(

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

I'll be there in spirit only as we're in the Winnebago in North Qld for the next couple of months. Hope it goes well.
Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

I hope the Winnebago has some decent wine storage for you Luke!

Michael McNally

Struggle on Luke!

On the wine front, thinking about:
2014 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre
2014 Odonata Douglass Crest Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon from the Santa Cruz Mountains

Anticipation is part of the reason I love offlines!

Cheers

Michael

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

: :D :D
Start with around 40 bottles, usually take a few specials, like old Rockfords BP's, old Lakes Folly's, last trip just went from one wine region to another until we couldn't fit anymore wine in!!
Currently on Magnetic Is deciding whether to drink the 2017 Entity to celebrate its Halliday success or not tonite (with the bbq sausages)!
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

gpk

Post by gpk »

Its been a long time. Do you have room for Nicole and myself? cheers Gerry

rens

Post by rens »

gpk wrote:Its been a long time. Do you have room for Nicole and myself? cheers Gerry
Always room for Nicole and I guess if she brings you there's always the card table with the kids :wink:

Michael McNally

gpk wrote:Its been a long time. Do you have room for Nicole and myself? cheers Gerry
Be great to catch up!

Cheers

Michael

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Well I have to bring a Pinot for Ian so

2008 Dupont-Tisserandot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux St. Jacques

and then for something a bit different a Soave

2015 Pieropan Soave Classico La Rocca

Looking forward to it already

rens

Post by rens »

Bump

There's still room.

Michael McNally

Willard wrote:I'd like to come along, but my wife is out that night. So put me down as tentative at this stage, pending finding a minder for the boys.

Will
Hello Willard

Are you able to make it? Trying to sort numbers and a menu with the restaurant.

Thanks

Michael

PS - There are still spots available people!

Michael McNally

Proposed 3-course menu ($100 pp including corkage :D )
1 Scallop tortellini, Morton bay bug bisque and crusty bread
2 Braised beef cheek, creamed potato and garlic mushrooms
3 Coffee and hazelnut ice cream with burnt almond crunch and hazelnut biscotti

I can't remember if we have any vegetarians/allergies so please remind me if I have forgotten.

7.00pm start

Cheers

Michael

Willard

Post by Willard »

Sorry Michael forgot to come back to you earlier. Unfortunately wont be able to make this one.

Catch up at the next!

Will
wills.wines

gpk

Post by gpk »

Not far away till Friday. Looking forward to catching up with everyone as it has been a long time. Had a look in the cellar and will bring a Bordeaux and South African Blend

Grand Vin de Leoville
Morgenster Cabernet Blend

And maybe a Sauterne to finish things off.

cheers Gerry

rens

Post by rens »

Michael McNally wrote:Proposed 3-course menu ($100 pp including corkage :D )
1 Scallop tortellini, Morton bay bug bisque and crusty bread
2 Braised beef cheek, creamed potato and garlic mushrooms
3 Coffee and hazelnut ice cream with burnt almond crunch and hazelnut biscotti

I can't remember if we have any vegetarians/allergies so please remind me if I have forgotten.

7.00pm start

Cheers

Michael
Hi Michael
Just to be difficult, could Kellee substitute the 1st course please.
From the menu she would prefer any of the following over the bisque:
- Citrus cured salmon, dill crème fraiche, red grapes, raspberry, lemongrass, radish & stout wafer
- Fried haloumi, watermelon panzanella, sumac dressing & olive crumbs
- Crispy confit chicken wings, béarnaise & kimchi powder
- Fried Wagyu beef wontons, tofu with shitake mushrooms, bacon dashi & spring onion
So what ever Kylie or Brent are happy to substitute.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Janine will be coming along.

I'll bring a Priorat seeing Michael is heading over that way and an NZ Chardonnay.

Oh and thanks for thinking of me Nick :wink: :D

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Michael McNally

rens wrote:Hi Michael
Just to be difficult, could Kellee substitute the 1st course please.
From the menu she would prefer any of the following over the bisque:
- Citrus cured salmon, dill crème fraiche, red grapes, raspberry, lemongrass, radish & stout wafer
- Fried haloumi, watermelon panzanella, sumac dressing & olive crumbs
- Crispy confit chicken wings, béarnaise & kimchi powder
- Fried Wagyu beef wontons, tofu with shitake mushrooms, bacon dashi & spring onion
So what ever Kylie or Brent are happy to substitute.
Thanks Rens

I was going to for a non-seafood starter for Yasmin and me as well.

Cheers

Michael

rens

Post by rens »

Ok. My wines for the record will be:
2008 Chateau Rollan de By Cru Bourgeois (Medoc)
2010 Castello di Monsanto Sangioveto Grosso dai Vigneti di Monsanto (Toscana)
(Assuming corks are good)
Will be good to compare left bankers with GPK

Michael McNally

rens wrote: Will be good to compare left bankers with GPK
Is that rhyming slang?

Looking forward to tonight.

Cheers

Michael

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Looks Great - counting down the hours :-)

Michael McNally

No new faces at the Brisbane Offline last night. Actually, it was the core group of wine friends who have formed the backbone of these offlines for the better part of the last decade! The theme was Foreign Muck (ironic). Venue was 85 Miskin St, which was remarkably quiet for a Friday night. Service was exemplary as always and the set menu was excellent.

The wines started with a 2007 Kreglinger Sparkling, Tasmania (technically ‘overseas’). Nick commented on the fine acidity and it was a featute of the wine with some lovely (not bitter) lemon pith and good length. Nice start, thanks Rens!

Next was the 2015 Pieropan Soave Classico La Rocca. I don’t know a lot about Soave and this had quite a neutral nose, a light lemon/lime palate with slight grip. As it developed in the glass it took on a bit of weight and more texture. Good food wine. Thanks Nick!

We called for the entrée. Most had the scallop tortellini, Morton Bay bug bisque and crusty bread, but for we non-seafood-loving folks there was pumpkin gnocchi with blue cheese, candied walnut & burnt butter (which was divine).

With the entrée we paired the two Chardonnays, the 2014 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre (my wine) and the 2017 Chard Farm 'Judge and Jury' Chardonnay, Central Otago. The nose on the Chablis was mainly minerals and slate with some white flowers. The palate was only just verging on stone fruit, but without a hint of grapefruit. Powerful and built for the long haul this will get better for some time. Kellie said she really liked it. The Kiwi was a completely different kettle of fruit. Struck match and (almost cheesy) funk, maybe honeysuckle on the nose. Tropical fruits but shy of pineapple (a good thing) with lots of guava and green kiwi (ironically). Thanks Ian!

Between courses we tried the 2008 Dupont-Tisserandot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux St. Jacques. I noticed the brett straight off, with quite the cow poo hints and some lightly stewed strawberry. Not a lot of fruit hanging in there but a pleasant enough structure. Nick noted it was on the decline. Sounds like it wasn't good, but it was a very nice drop. Ian said “no thanks!”, but thanks Nick!

We then had a Mediterranean match up with the 2008 Alvaro Palacios 'Les Terrasses' Velles Vinyes, Priorat and the 2010 Castello di Monsanto Sangioveto Grosso dai Vigneti di Monsanto, Toscana. The Priorat had a gorgeous nose with dark berries and roses. A dry medium/full palate of dark cherry and dark berry fruit with beautiful tannins. Fabulous Grenache, thanks Ian! The Sangio was immediately more grippy with medium-bodied glossy fruit and tannin to die for and acid that would match a tomato-based dish superbly. Very much a food wine, thanks Rens!

A couple of new world cabernets followed 2014 Odonata ‘Douglass Crest Vineyard’ Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Cruz Mountains and a 2001 Morgenster Cabernet Blend, Stellenbosch. The first (my wine) I thought was vinfanticide. Masses of fruit and American oak this was very full bodied. However, it didn’t fare well with time in the glass and the 14.7% alcohol started to show. The Morgenster was dark dry fruit and a fair whack of tannin. Gerry and Ian wondered whether there was some Pinotage in the mix, but the label said Cab Franc, Cab Sauv and Merlot. An interesting wine, but I didn’t agree that it needed another 10 years as Gerry suggested (at 18 years of age!)

We were served the (very large) mains of braised beef cheek, creamed potato and garlic mushrooms. Delicious.

Time for an old world showdown with a 2008 Chateau Rollan de By Cru Bourgeois, Medoc and a 1985 Chateau Leoville las Cases. Many tasters commented on how similar theses two wines were, despite the difference in age. The Leoville was elegant, with cassis and blackberry fruit and subtle dusty tannin. Not as powerful as I was expecting from this Chateau. Didn't taste 34 years old! Excellent, thanks Gerry! The DePuy was very similar. Classic Bordeaux characters, with Merlot coming through a bit more than the Leoville. Still, very similar and a great wine, thanks Rens!

There was much revisiting of the wines during desert which was coffee and hazelnut ice cream with burnt almond crunch and hazelnut biscotti. Yummo!

After desert we opened Gerry’s 2010 Chateau Filhot Sauternes. Fantastic nose of full-on honeysuckle and orange marmalade, but the palate was somehow scalped and as Gerry said quite boring. There was no acid clean up on the back palate and I suspect it was faulty. It didn’t dampen the spirits of our happy crew who spilled out into the cool Brisbane night and toddled off in our different directions.

For the record the WWON was clearly the Chabils (with one vote for the bubbles and one for the Soave), The 85 Bordeaux edged the Priorat in the RWON, The split between the reds allowed the Chablis to come through with 4 votes, to the 85 BDX with 3, and the Priorat with two (one designated driver abstained).

As always some great wines and some great food made better with wonderful company!

Cheers

Michael

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

A great set of notes Michael, thanks, and an attractive set of assorted wines. Well done.

Cheers................. Mahmoud.

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Brilliant night as always, thanks to 85 Miskin for wonderful food and service, an incredible selection of wines and great to catch up with everyone - it's been far too long and hopefully we can squeeze in another before Christmas.

Thanks - Nick

PS - And enjoy Spain Michael

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Great notes Michael and thanks for organising. Another great Brisbane offline. Food was very good, as per normal at Miskin St and of course the company exceptional.

Cheers
Ian