TN: Dei Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2016

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Waiters Friend

TN: Dei Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2016

Post by Waiters Friend »

Interesting wine this one, and slightly different from many of the Nobiles we have tried this week.

The usual suspects are there on the nose - cherry, lots of dark plums, a little tobacco - but it's the palate that really shines. There's distinct (and very pleasant) cola on the palate (but not in the way you get in a confectioned Aussie Grenache or a cheaper Spanish garnacha) and very good acid to give freshness to what is a medium to full bodied wine. This is in addition to the usual grippy tannins, and hints of cocoa powder, coffee and dark chocolate.

One of the better Il Vino Di Nobiles I have tried, without getting into the Riserva range.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

DaveS

Re: TN: Dei Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2016

Post by DaveS »

Allan, do you know if Dei can be found in Australia or cellar door only?

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Not any help to you, but we can get this in the UK, so they do export.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I can't find any signs on the webinet that Dei wines are available in Australia.

I'm also (not surprisingly) finding that wines I paid AUD$30 in Italy are priced more than double that in Australia. The Dei Vino Nobile di Montepulciano was, like many of its competitors, around the Euro20-23 mark in Montepulciano and in supermarkets in Tuscany.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.