DOC/DOCG/IGT authenticity sticker - Sassicaia?

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Nick Wine Guy

DOC/DOCG/IGT authenticity sticker - Sassicaia?

Post by Nick Wine Guy »

Hi guys,

Just got back from Italy and picked up a couple bottles of Super Tuscans.

I noticed while I was there that it seems quite random as to whether bottles have the DOC(G) authenticity sticker on their neck - any insight into this from your experience? Even in duty free at the airport it seemed some cheap ones had it but more expensive ones didn't necessarily, although the labels indicated they had this certification.

One reason I'm asking is that I bought a Sassicaia (in Siena from a shop near the big plaza, so I'm sure it's legit) but it doesn't have any authenticity sticker. From looking online at 'real' (vs stock) photos, I've only seen a few pics thst look like there is something on the side of the neck, the majority look like nothing.

For what it's worth, the cap is stamped, the bottle is embossed and it came in the brand's blue wrapping paper.

I also bought a Tignanello and it just has a small authenticity sticker QR code on the back of the neck. I don't believe IGT wines get a sticker?

DaveS

Re: DOC/DOCG/IGT authenticity sticker - Sassicaia?

Post by DaveS »

I believe it is to do with the amount of Cabernet and other non-Italian varieties. Too much and they are not classified as DOCG. It doesn’t necessarily mean they are lower quality in fact can be quite the opposite.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I think DaveS is correct. I've arrived back tonight from Italy, and also imported some wine as well as bringing it in myself. All of the DoCG wines have the stickers.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Nick Wine Guy

Post by Nick Wine Guy »

Well, I know that Sassicaia is Bolgheri DOC - the first estate to have its own DOC status, but perhaps there are some nuances there, as Dave wrote. As mentioned, it seemed quite random at the duty free as to whether ones with DOC(G) on the label had a sticker or not.

Waiters Friend, do you have DOC wines with stickers or just DOCG?

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Nick Wine Guy wrote:Waiters Friend, do you have DOC wines with stickers or just DOCG?
A quick look through the cellar shows that I have both DoC and DoCG wines with stickers - but I also have some DoCs without stickers. No explanation for this, I'm afraid.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.