What is the Most You've Ever Paid for a Bottle of Wine?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
rens

Re: What is the Most You've Ever Paid for a Bottle of Wine?

Post by rens »

sjw_11 wrote: 1993 Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 707 MAGNUM $201.00 6/15/2004
felixp21 wrote:hey Sam, not sure about the date of the 1993 707 purchase, unless it was some sort of EP deal. It was certainly not released by then!!
I'm pretty sure it was available for purchase in 2004. Or were they holding magnums back for more than 11 years?
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

rens wrote:
sjw_11 wrote: 1993 Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 707 MAGNUM $201.00 6/15/2004
felixp21 wrote:hey Sam, not sure about the date of the 1993 707 purchase, unless it was some sort of EP deal. It was certainly not released by then!!
I'm pretty sure it was available for purchase in 2004. Or were they holding magnums back for more than 11 years?
I was given a bottle of the 96 in 1999, so the 93 would definitely have been available in 04.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

DJ1980 wrote: While it was an amazing experience, and one I won't forget anytime soon, it cost me $5000... It was never going to live up to the hype or expectations.

Now that I am older (and wiser?) and the wine fetches north of $10,000 I should have held onto it and sold it.
Thanks DJ1980

You can't take it with you!

Can't imagine that I would be able to buy a $5,000 bottle of wine. However, if I could and it was amazing, then I think that would be okay!

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Most of my higher priced purchases were a long time ago when great wines were cheaper.

7 x 1990 Grange $130 each. Have sold all at much higher prices to fund habit.

3 x Penfolds 1990 Bin 90A $110 each. Drunk 1. Still 2 in the cellar.

1 x Penfolds 1962 Bin 60A in 1997 for my 40th birthday for $330. Sold it about a year later for $1,000 again to fund my habit.

I find drinking wines valued at greater than say $200 difficult to do. Yes they are good but IMO don't represent good value. Much rather drink good wines of lesser value (say <$70) and bank the savings to travel. I have come to the conclusion that most wines are good; just some are better than others.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

mjs

Post by mjs »

DJ1980 wrote:Waaay to much and hindsight shows I shouldn't have drank it...

Paid $5000 for the best bottle of 1962 Penfolds Bin 60a I have ever seen.
That's the one I'd go for if I had a lazy few large to spare
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

mjs

Post by mjs »

I don't mind spending around $100 or so on really good cabernet, but here's a couple of bottles that I did go for, rather than the Bin60A, which are the most I have spent, and which is a lot more than I would normally spend.

Magnum of '96 Penfolds Block 42 Kalimna Cabernet a while before a significant birthday about five years ago, think is was just north of $800. Worth every penny as it turned out.

One yet to open, but will be for the next (mid-significant) birthday is a bottle of '54 Wynns Cabernet (didn't have black label in those days), just tad under $900 as I recall a few years ago. Will report the outcome in due course

Apart from those, there have been a few bottles of Pennies special bins, Bin 80A, 90A, 920, '96 and '04 Block 42 and '04 60A, all in the range $200-$500 I guess.
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

tuxy85

Post by tuxy85 »

I bought a bottle of Henschke Hill of Grace 2012. I realise many on this forum this its overpriced etc.

However I got it duty free for $640 down from the current $825. The main reason I bought it was that I was returning from my honeymoon and wanted to get something to put away for our 25th anniversary.

I also bought a Henshke Hill of Roses 2010 for our 10th anniversary for $240. I certainly won't be spending that much again any time soon.

I am happy to make between two and four $100-$150 purchases each year (on average) and tend to make use of my mum's duty free quota as she travels regularly for work.

These include a number of Aussie classics:
Torbreck The Factor, Cullen DM (duty free $90), Mount Mary Quintet, Wynns John Riddoch (duty free $100) and Yarra Yering #1, Henschke Mt Ed (duty free $140) and some of the single block Mount Pleasant Shiraz.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

for those of us that spent many years in The Ross Duke stables, there is the "Rene Engel" decision to be made.
wines like his Clos Vougeot, Echezeaux and GE, especially from 2002, seem to be appreciating at about 10% per month!!! :D
the auction prices are now simply bizarre, with no signs of abating.
to drink or to sell, that is the question!!!
although they were cheap back in the day, these wines now constitute some of the most expensive I have, I think I am going to drag them up to HK and sell at auction.
nice wines, but approaching $2500 a bottle, hard to justify drinking.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

felixp21 wrote: … to drink or to sell, that is the question!!!
although they were cheap back in the day, these wines now constitute some of the most expensive I have, I think I am going to drag them up to HK and sell at auction.
nice wines, but approaching $2500 a bottle, hard to justify drinking.
Hard to disagree, $2,500 a bottle is a lot of money.

mjs

Post by mjs »

tuxy85 wrote:I bought a bottle of Henschke Hill of Grace 2012. I realise many on this forum this its overpriced etc.

However I got it duty free for $640 down from the current $825. The main reason I bought it was that I was returning from my honeymoon and wanted to get something to put away for our 25th anniversary.

I also bought a Henshke Hill of Roses 2010 for our 10th anniversary for $240. I certainly won't be spending that much again any time soon.

I am happy to make between two and four $100-$150 purchases each year (on average) and tend to make use of my mum's duty free quota as she travels regularly for work.

Torbreck The Factor, Cullen DM (duty free $90), Mount Mary Quintet, Wynns John Riddoch (duty free $100) and Yarra Yering #1, Henschke Mt Ed (duty free $140) and some of the single block Mount Pleasant Shiraz.
Good stuff if you can get it at Oz duty free, but my experience is that duty free at Oz airports is more expensive that the major retail outlets, certainly Melb and Syd. Maybe there are non-airport based duty free? Happy if people have other experiences.
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

tuxy85

Post by tuxy85 »

mjs wrote:
tuxy85 wrote:I bought a bottle of Henschke Hill of Grace 2012. I realise many on this forum this its overpriced etc.

Good stuff if you can get it at Oz duty free, but my experience is that duty free at Oz airports is more expensive that the major retail outlets, certainly Melb and Syd. Maybe there are non-airport based duty free? Happy if people have other experiences.
JR Duty free (now Lotte Duty Free) out of Brisbane Airport gives you an extra 20% discount if you pre-order online. Their base prices are only slightly lower than standard retail. However once you factor in the 20% this adds up for more expensive purchases.

Last time I flew international I got a 2015 Wynns JR for $90!

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Craig(NZ) wrote:I used to fairly regularly spend over $100 on bottles of wine as some of the NZ classics I have bought for a couple of decades slipped over that mark. This is something I have identified, and targeted to put a stop to completely this year with the help of poorer vintages hitting the market. A number of labels have dropped off the shopping list. Alas, I am technically failing miserably against my target because of one multiple purchases of a single "must have in quantity" wine. Aside from that I am actually doing great :D I am enjoying focusing on $25-45 stuff

Over $200 is an extremely rare playground and likely a place I will never frequent again - top tier Bordeaux and Grange from the "cheaper" days. I have purchased in my life probably five wines in the $300-550 range - All top tier Bordeaux from good vintages.

It's cheaper than racing cars I tell my wife
So how much did you pay for that Petrus on your Avatar?