Cask Wine

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Redav

Cask Wine

Post by Redav »

(Off the back of some other recent, daring topics :D)

I realise that cask wine is probably consider the antithesis of what the wine aficionado is about, but is there anything that's relatively okay out there? My father occasionally has something sitting in the fridge as my parents tastes diverge somewhat and are budget minded when it comes to a regular drop. Sometimes I like to try and broaden his horizons a little by trying to find something nicer in an area he likes like, be it scotch, wine or beer. So while I wouldn't expect that something decently age worthy 98 pointer exists (actually, given modern marketing there probably is), is there something that's not as bad as we'd like to admit?

Matt@5453

Re: Cask Wine

Post by Matt@5453 »

My Brother in law goes 'off the grid' remotely for weeks at a time camping. He hates taking bottles of wine and takes casks only. He reckons De Bortoli is the lesser evil.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I cannot give any advice regarding cask wines because I don't drink it. However, that said, a few years ago I came across some dull looking 3 liter casks of red and white wine for only $10 each. The red was a Chilean cabernet amd the white was a California chardonnay. Despite the price I ignored them but later on thought that at $2.50 per 750ml it might make decent cooking wine. Though I would not drink them on their own, tHe red had a decent amount of fruit and tannin while the chardonnay had a buttery quality, perfect for cooking and deglazing. I scooped them up and for the last three years have had cooking wine that I use almost without thought. Who needs water when one has wines by the liter. I'm now down to my last two casks and will soon have to go back to using mostly water.

A decent cask wine is probably the perfect thing when camping "off the grid" for weeks on end.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

One of my Importers sells a 3 Litre Cask of Barbera, directly imported from Piemonte. (from producer Carussin)

Been looking for a reason to buy one, and try it.

Barbera d'Asti in a 3 L cask, from a good producer, sounds interesting eh!?

regards

Gavin Trott

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

I cried the day Morris Pressings was ceased...fantastic drinking.
Is Yalumba 2 litre still any good?

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Gavin Trott wrote:One of my Importers sells a 3 Litre Cask of Barbera, directly imported from Piemonte. (from producer Carussin)

Blimey! Perhaps a candidate for the upcoming large format themed Adelaide offline. :shock:

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Ozzie W wrote:Blimey! Perhaps a candidate for the upcoming large format themed Adelaide offline. :shock:
Oh great, a 'Goon of Fortune' themed offline... who has a venue with a Hills Hoist?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/q8gwjUH.jpg[/img]
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Gavin Trott wrote:One of my Importers sells a 3 Litre Cask of Barbera, directly imported from Piemonte. (from producer Carussin)

Yes, it does sound interesting.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Never ever is there a good reason to buy or drink cask wine
ever

Barney

Post by Barney »

Spent a few days camping last weekend and took along a 2 L cask of Yalumba Chardonnay and one Shriraz Cab which are our go to camping wines, think they were $12.00 each.

Would otherwise never consume however my partner and I both like to keep things simple when out in the bush and must admit the red went very well with (home made) snags with onions in a white roll and cheeseburgers.

We are both normally pretty fastidous and fussy with our food and drink and was nice to have a weekend off from all that.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Craig(NZ) wrote:Never ever is there a good reason to buy or drink cask wine
ever
Hmmm, as mentioned before, camping, wood smoke from the fireplace,rustic food, glass tumblers, and nobody's driving home. Can't think of a better reason to be drinking good quality cask wine. I would love an Italian barbera from a good producer in liter casks. Of course the late night whisky would have to be in bottle.

As I've said before, there is a time and place for everything.

Cheers ........... Mahmoud.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

The Yalumba premium version 2L casks used to be quite OK back in the day
------------------------------------
Sam

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

ever
lol.
yep, life is much too short, don't waste the liver cells. Drink beer camping.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Yep, I go off the grid too. As much as I can. It's so exotic and liberating.

If I'm off to a heavily malarial area I may take Barolo Chinato but I generally avoid the booze.

My last adventure was in wild areas of Burma where they hadn't seen westerners since WW2. Every village I made ( after a day's hike ) I was offered rice wine and dried buffalo meat. The hospitality amazing. The young lady pictured offerings were tempting- alcohol and pork after a 10 days trekking vegetarian and with no alcohol.

[url=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/coronatower/p ... 370c61c9b7][img]https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/f ... fit=bounds[/img][/url]

[url=https://beta.photobucket.com/u/coronatower/p ... f8f88fbb29][img]https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/f ... fit=bounds[/img][/url]
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Redav

Post by Redav »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Hmmm, as mentioned before, camping, wood smoke from the fireplace,rustic food, glass tumblers, and nobody's driving home. Can't think of a better reason to be drinking good quality cask wine.
Mahmoud Ali wrote:As I've said before, there is a time and place for everything.
Agreed, I guess part of my question also came from the idea of camping, something we regularly do. A work colleague was trying to set an example amongst others for taking tinnies and casks as they're far more practical than bottles.
JamieBahrain wrote:My last adventure was in wild areas of Burma where they hadn't seen westerners since WW2. Every village I made ( after a day's hike ) I was offered rice wine and dried buffalo meat. The hospitality amazing. The young lady pictured offerings were tempting- alcohol and pork after a 10 days trekking vegetarian and with no alcohol.
That sounds like a wonderful experience, nice one!

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

felixp21 wrote:Yep, life is much too short, don't waste the liver cells. Drink beer camping.
What, surely red wine, even from a cask, is better than VB or Tooheys with kangaroo steaks!
JamieBahrain wrote:If I'm off to a heavily malarial area I may take Barolo Chinato ...
Sounds like a good idea to me ....
JamieBahrain wrote:My last adventure was in wild areas of Burma where they hadn't seen westerners since WW2.
Strikes me as a bit of an exaggeration since Burma was not a closed society till much, much, later. Otherwise, point taken.

Cheers ............. Mahmoud.

trufflequeen

Post by trufflequeen »

I remember the Yalumba casks (and Banrock Station, too) quite fondly. They were a staple in my parents kitchen for weeknight drinking back in the day.

Been a long time since I've partaken, but I won't say no to the occasional sneaky half carafe of rose (origins thankfully unknown) with a quick meal at Ying Chow on a balmy summer's eve!

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Jamie,

The trekking must have been quite the adventure. I imagine the food was tasty but how was the rice "wine", it looks unfiltered and unfined.

Cheers .............. Mahmoud.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

phillisc wrote:I cried the day Morris Pressings was ceased...fantastic drinking.

Cheers Craig
+1. It was our mid week quaffer when we were poor single income with 2 kids in tow.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Chuck wrote:
phillisc wrote:I cried the day Morris Pressings was ceased...fantastic drinking.

Cheers Craig
+1. It was our mid week quaffer when we were poor single income with 2 kids in tow.

Carl
Yes indeed, I used to get a carton, (four casks) in the early 90s from Goodwood Cellars, every few weeks. Drank a fair bit to cope with screamers who never slept!!

Morris then got a bit lazy and started putting Spanish wine into the mix. Why you would import shit to dilute a good Rutherglen Shiraz beats me, but I remember the backlash and it then returned to a 100% Australian product. Laugh about it now.
At the time we were also one and a bit incomes with a couple of ankle biters in tow.

Cheers craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
ever
Hmmm, as mentioned before, camping, wood smoke from the fireplace,rustic food, glass tumblers, and nobody's driving home. Can't think of a better reason to be drinking good quality cask wine. I would love an Italian barbera from a good producer in liter casks. Of course the late night whisky would have to be in bottle.

As I've said before, there is a time and place for everything.

Cheers ........... Mahmoud.
Bear Grylls says there is a time and place to drink your own urine too
Doesn't mean I will actually plan to do so

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

There is never, ever, a time and place to drink one's urine! And for any occasion that might loom in one's imagination I hope to never be in that hypothetical occasion, including the one where I am reborn as Morarji Desai, the former PM of India who ascribed his health and longevity to drinking his own urine.

Mahmoud.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Jamie,

The trekking must have been quite the adventure. I imagine the food was tasty but how was the rice "wine", it looks unfiltered and unfined.

Cheers .............. Mahmoud.

Burma has magnificent cuisine but where I was it wasn't the case. Remote hill tribes, subsistence farming and animal worship. They've not seen white folks for generations and in some cases since WW2 due the remoteness and the military crack down on independence.

I avoided the rice wine. Just across the border Indian bootleggers always in the news for poisoning and blinding drinkers.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

JamieBahrain wrote:I avoided the rice wine. Just across the border Indian bootleggers always in the news for poisoning and blinding drinkers.
Good thinking. A lot of Indian alcohol is inexpensive (and downright cheap for us foreigners) but in poor areas, especially rural and in small towns, the need for economy drives people to the unscupulous bootleggers who do not supply them with the "real McCoy".

Mahmoud.