What wines wont you buy?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Michael McNally

Re: What wines wont you buy?

Post by Michael McNally »

Anything with the name Tate in it. See the not buying from arseholes comments above. I have a problem with phoenix operations that stiff their suppliers.

Agree with many of Ozzie's observations, but still love some renditions of Shiraz!

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Vietti single Cru's

Sori San Lorenzo
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

JamieBahrain wrote:Vietti single Cru's
Genuinely curious Jamie - why is that? Vietti Lazzarito has starred a couple of times in our local get togethers in strong company, and the 2006 Villero was close to wine of the year for me in 2018

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I should have clarified. Gaja's top cru's and Viettis can be magnificent wines albeit sometimes lost from their place and difficult to site differentiate. But experience is a good thing. I can find magnificent expressions of Cru vineyards from other producers at a fraction of the price. I think it's almost two magnums of Brovia Villero per Vietti Villero 750ml; or Mascarello or I dare whisper Fenocchio.

Though it's not a cost factor. Vietti for instance, I have had and have in my cellar older wines. Lazzarito 1990 for example. It's an average wine. Though soon after there was massive improvement at Vietti. Now I'm looking at producers like those above going holly-molly. The upswing has only started and you can pick Villero in all their wines.

Just a magic time in Piedmont and I'd be a mug to have my budget absorbed by Gaja/Vietti.
Last edited by JamieBahrain on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Diddy

Post by Diddy »

Anything on the basis of a James Halliday score/review

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

JamieBahrain wrote:Vietti single Cru's

Sori San Lorenzo
Jamie in trading down shock! :shock:

:wink:

For what it's worth I agree (albeit I make even greater compromises for price), and other internet darlings will I'm sure go the same way (e.g. I fear Burlotto will on the back of fawning praise from Galloni).

Deano

Post by Deano »

Semillon.
Owned by Coles/WW.
Wines that were $30 a few years ago, but are now $90+.
Cheers

paulf

Post by paulf »

Sauv Blanc - I tend to pick out something that reminds me of Ammonia like in most of them.
Penfolds - I can't raise a skerrick of interest about any of their wines. I also might be allergic to their marketing.
Any of the Coles or Woolworths owned brands. Not hard to avoid given how little I shop in places that sell them.
Tabhilk - This one might take some explaining. Back in the late 90s I had a part time job in a vineyard restaurant. The owner decided to release his own wines under a label name that someone at Tabhilk felt was a little close to one of their brands. It wasn't. Tabhilk's lawyers attempted a bit of legal bullying. I hate that stuff so I don't buy Tabhilk as a result and tend to avoid any company that tries that stuff (one of several reasons I don't touch Apple products ). The issue disappeared, largely because my Boss was a lawyer whose name was attached to one of the more prominent corporate law firms in Melbourne, and a QC who owned the vineyard down the road was also consulted. I believe that once a letter was sent back, indicating they would fight (and identifying who would be fighting) that was the end of the issue. It's a pity, as I do quite like the Marsanne.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

NZ Sauvignon Blanc - Just does nothing for me, even the so called better examples.
Pinot Noir - I have had some amazing Pinots, but in my limited experience, you have to spend big to get the good stuff. The inferior quality/cheaper Pinot is just undrinkable to me. It's a wine my credit card (and wife) doesn't want me to get into :roll:
High alcohol fruit bombs (re some SA Shiraz and Grenache) - Once again, in my limited experience, they just don't age that well. A lot of the Shiraz/Grenache I purchased from the mid 00's with 15%+ alcohol just turned into a port like substance and was undrinkable at 10+ years old. I'm sure there are examples that do age well, but I have had no luck with them. 15% is my limit now. Anything over that and unless I intend to drink them straight away and not cellar, I won't be buying from now on. Maybe my palate has just changed...
Orange wines - Sorry, just don't get them
Desert wines - Once again, they are just not my thing.
Old wines with no proof of storage - Been bitten a few times so I steer clear now, as I have enough aged wine in my cellar to keep me happy.

Like many on here, I don't buy Coles/Woolies wines. Just my own little personal protest I suppose. I also very, very rarely buy Penfolds (I do like old St Henri though, so occasionally get a few if they can be sourced at the right price), as I think there is much better value elsewhere and the prices have just gone stupid. In fairness to Penfolds though, they are not alone in raising prices purely out of greed. There are also a few wineries that I've had bad experiences with that I steer clear of as well, but best they remain nameless.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

asajoseph

Post by asajoseph »

I would say that I just haven't drunk enough wine to definitively rule out any grape / style. Of course, I have preferences, but I've had good wines in most styles, and where I haven't my first instinct is to explore more - not rule them out.

But this one definitely strikes a chord:
Old wines with no proof of storage - Been bitten a few times so I steer clear now, as I have enough aged wine in my cellar to keep me happy.
Also, not so much of a problem here, but one thing I will no longer do is buy wines off broker lists - life is too short, and there's always more wine. I'm sick of chasing brokers on delivery of something I ordered 2 months ago. I can always buy something else, or spend a tiny bit more, and take delivery in a few days. Just not worth the hassle.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Most of Ian/ticklenow1's points resonate with me, although I do really enjoy a lot of Orange wines. Ruggabellus, Princic, Gravner, Radikon, the good stuff is really memorable and full of interest.

The Pinot comment got me too, Red Burgundy is a true minefield, far more misses than hits, and prices are getting crazy. But OMG that moment when you get a good one does make you crave a deeper wallet....... they are sublime wine-life changing moments. And while it's rare, there is a small percent of cheaper Red Burg/Pinot Noir that can occasionally impress e.g Hoddles 1er 2013 was lovely, savoury and pretty a few months back, and the Faiveley Bourgogne 2015 @ $30 beats 95%(*) of New World Pinot under $100 for me, more lean, natural feeling acid structure, less emphasis on extracted ripe fruit and more importantly fewer underripe seed tannins/hard green stalky notes which seems to be increasingly trendy in Oz and detract from the wine for me (although DRC do big stalks too, and can even be distracting for me there too!, so I think I'm particularly sensitive to certain stalky elements).

* Note I said 95%, exceptions do exist and of course I haven't tried them all!

Other Wines I won't buy??

Not a fan of CnDP (other than Rayas but can't afford that!)

Alsace is a bit too high alc% in general for my tastes. (but older ones can be great eh odyssey!)

Central Otago Pinot - there I said it. Previously been a big fan, but now just way too big and black fruited for my liking. dingozegan will be high-fiving me here, and fair enough, he called it early. I must add the disclaimer that I've not tasted the past few vintages, so if the style is changing, I may need re-education.

Anything with lots of American Oak. (yes even you Rioja)

Anything with lots of French Oak. (can't afford La La's so this is mostly accurate)

Theporkrail

Post by Theporkrail »

I don't think I have ever bought a Penfolds wine for my own consumption, well made wines but not great value for money these days (I missed the halycon days of $20 something 389), and just don't seem to have enough character to me
Pretty much avoid the supermarket wineries , very rarely buy save blanc .
The sweeter styles of Riesling , can appreciate their quality but just not for me

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

Theporkrail wrote:I don't think I have ever bought a Penfolds wine for my own consumption, well made wines but not great value for money these days (I missed the halycon days of $20 something 389), and just don't seem to have enough character to me
Pretty much avoid the supermarket wineries , very rarely buy save blanc .
The sweeter styles of Riesling , can appreciate their quality but just not for me
the halcyon days were the $10 Granges. ;)

Willard

Post by Willard »

I have some generally-followed paths, but as with most things in life there are exceptions, I try not to be too prescriptive or definitive. There are a couple of definitive ones though...

- Like many, I have no desire to buy a supermarket own brand. I dislike the proliferation of the home brands in the supermarket and the wine store, and I like to know where/who my wine is coming from. The story/vineyard/people/background/history etc is important to my whole wine experience.

- I won't buy wines off any winery club list where you are compelled to buy a set amount every year, or cases are mandated. Not interested. The only club I'm signed up to is the Tyrrell's Private Bin - can pick your own standing order, they only release wines when they are up to scratch, and you don't have to take everything every year if you choose not to.

- I rarely buy Australian Grenache (or any Grenache), the flavor profile in most and the confected fruit note in many is not my thing. Exceptions - I loved the Tonic Grenache last year, and I have an Ochota Barrels to try shortly.

- I rarely buy late-picked or botrytis dessert wines, if I want a sweet wine my tastes lean to a Rutherglen Tokay or Muscat. Exceptions - I do have an odd bottle of old (80s) Nobel One and Sauternes in the cellar for the odd occasion.

Will
wills.wines

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I won't buy Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot or Riesling (sorry Wizz) or Sauvignon Blanc
I won't buy "natural" wines
I won't buy Barolo because I'm continually told that I should
I won't buy wines with an abv above 14.99%, unless they are really really good :D
And I won't ever buy another Burgundy, because the ones I like are too expensive (and I don't get offered them any more, anyway)

michel

Post by michel »

Lincoln wrote:I won't buy Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot or Riesling (sorry Wizz) or Sauvignon Blanc
I won't buy "natural" wines
I won't buy Barolo because I'm continually told that I should
I won't buy wines with an abv above 14.99%, unless they are really really good :D
And I won't ever buy another Burgundy, because the ones I like are too expensive (and I don't get offered them any more, anyway)
Welcome to the forum Lincolnsan :!:
What do you own greater than 14.9% :?:
International Chambertin Day 16th May

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

michel wrote: What do you own greater than 14.9% :?:
Nothing that's good that I can think of. I wish I had had the opportunity to try the Lindemans 1965 Hunter Shirazes, Bin 3100 and 3110, coz I believe they are supposed to be 15%+. Perhaps that is a load of hooey. Anyway, if it's too strong/out of balance, it goes into the cooking wine queue

michel

Post by michel »

Lincoln wrote:
michel wrote: What do you own greater than 14.9% :?:
Nothing that's good that I can think of. I wish I had had the opportunity to try the Lindemans 1965 Hunter Shirazes, Bin 3100 and 3110, coz I believe they are supposed to be 15%+. Perhaps that is a load of hooey. Anyway, if it's too strong/out of balance, it goes into the cooking wine queue
I certainly once had a Lindemans 65 ending in 00 designating best wine from the vintage and it was not hot :idea:
International Chambertin Day 16th May

asajoseph

Post by asajoseph »

Willard wrote:
- Like many, I have no desire to buy a supermarket own brand. I dislike the proliferation of the home brands in the supermarket and the wine store, and I like to know where/who my wine is coming from. The story/vineyard/people/background/history etc is important to my whole wine experience.

Will
When I was studying for my exams (in the UK) you used to be able to buy a very solid range from the Supermarket shelves. Tesco Finest carried a wide variety of own labels, most of which game in at less than £10, and all of which were at least typical of their region / style - so great for study.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Lincoln wrote:I won't buy Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot or Riesling (sorry Wizz) or Sauvignon Blanc
That is a huge part of the noble grape varieties that you exclude... I cannot understand excluding major grape varieties without exception. Same comment for others who said similar :? :? :?
------------------------------------
Sam