1999 Alkoomi Franklin River Sparkling Shiraz

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Elvispga

1999 Alkoomi Franklin River Sparkling Shiraz

Post by Elvispga »

1999 Alkoomi Franklin River Sparkling Shiraz 14%
Spotted this wine in my local wine shop in Columbus Ohio and purchased it for $US29.

It had a really dirty nose initally but boy did it open up! It was fairly light on the fizz but was a great drink that I wish I could find more of. Would much rather be drinking it in the heat of Aus right now!

markg

Re: 1999 Alkoomi Franklin River Sparkling Shiraz

Post by markg »

Elvispga wrote:[b].. Would much rather be drinking it in the heat of Aus right now!

Oh yeah... Sparkling shiraz is great fro this time of year (although it better start warming up by next week or I am going to be boogie boarding in the rain !!)
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

Justin B.

Post by Justin B. »

Elvis

Just for your interest, and assuming your not an expatriate Aussie, Frankland River is probably one of the most remote wineries in the world. Perth is the closest city and which I believe is the most isolated provincial city in the world (2000 kms from the nearest other provisional city). Frankland is then 4-5 hours drive from Perth and is located somewhere between all other small towns in a particular area of our state. I dont think Frankland gets much passing tourist traffic, put it that way. If you like Frankland estate, and you like your reds, try and source some: Houghton - Gladstone - Frankland - Shiraz 2000 : It would be about US$ 30-40, and is a gem of a wine form mature vines. Will cellar well for many years. Awesome power, yet with a smooth mouthfeel I find rare in 'big' wines. Maybe you could email Houghton and ask for their USA distributors in your area. Or maybe Gavin at this forum site could sell you some if he can source it for you.
http://www.houghton-wines.com.au/wines/ ... tones.html
Or you can buy the cheaper version from this site that is very popular (search Houghton Frankland shiraz):
http://www.auswine.com.au/
Justin B.

Elvispga

Post by Elvispga »

Thanks for the information Justin. I am an expat but wasn't exactly sure where Franklin River (FR) was in WA. However, I spent a week in Margaret River(MR) last year and thought the wines were spectacular. Very impressed with WA wines in general. :D

Was 1999 a good year for FR? I seem to remember it was pretty good for Cabernet in MR. Also, how long have Alkoomi been making a Sparkling Shiraz? Is it worth trying to find more/different vintages? I was going to have some 1998 Seppelt SS for christmas when back in Aus but might try and leave them a little longer if I can find more Alkoomi.

Cheers

Justin B.

Post by Justin B. »

Elvis

I am not sure about 99 for FR. I do know however that 2000 was a very tough vintage throughout the South-West. I know the 99 Houghton Gladstone Frankland cabernet and shiraz wines were both well reviewed from the 99 vintage. So I think it must have been a good vintage.

Keep an eye out for 2001 cabernets from MR. Try the Devils Lair at A$45-50. Its a great wine for a reasonable price.

Not sure when the sparkling shiraz started. I have only tried one vintage a couple of years ago and dont recall what I thought of it. I cant seem to find a website for FRE.

The 98 Seppelt sounds good.
Justin B.

Post by Guest »

Is it just me, or are some people getting Alkoomi and Frankland River Estare mixed up in this thread? Could be just me.

Anyway, I was at Alkoomi a year or so back, and they said to me that they were no longer producing a sparkling shiraz. I think the 1999 may even have been the last of them. I don't know if they are sticking to this decision, but that was what they said at the time.

C.

Elvispga

Post by Elvispga »

Anonymous wrote:Anyway, I was at Alkoomi a year or so back, and they said to me that they were no longer producing a sparkling shiraz. I think the 1999 may even have been the last of them. I don't know if they are sticking to this decision, but that was what they said at the time.

C.

:( Thats a shame.

Justin B.

Post by Justin B. »

Silly me for crossing my wires. Must have been having a Senior Citizen moment.
Justin B.