Wendouree Wine Notes

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
crusty2

Re: Wendouree Wine Notes

Post by crusty2 »

While not a note I did receive this offer today
We have a remarkable parcel of Wendouree wines on offer. Every red wine made by Wendouree, between and including 1998 and 2016, is represented. You get one bottle of each wine for $14k
Shiraz, Shiraz/Malbec Shiraz/Mataro, Cabernet, Cab/Malbec, Malbec and Pressings.
Impressive lineup and an equally impressive price.
Drink the wine, not the label.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

crusty2 wrote:While not a note I did receive this offer today
We have a remarkable parcel of Wendouree wines on offer. Every red wine made by Wendouree, between and including 1998 and 2016, is represented. You get one bottle of each wine for $14k
Shiraz, Shiraz/Malbec Shiraz/Mataro, Cabernet, Cab/Malbec, Malbec and Pressings.
How many bottles exactly is that? There isn't a pressings that often and don't know if the others have all been made every year... but it looks about $120/bottle :shock:

I guess if you got it, flaunt it
------------------------------------
Sam

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

crusty2 wrote:While not a note I did receive this offer today
Yes was this from a certain Adelaide auction house...several hundred bottles on offer...and as an aside, reckon i have about half of them :wink:
cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

How many bottles exactly is that? There isn't a pressings that often and don't know if the others have all been made every year.
Yes was this from a certain Adelaide auction house...
This offer was through a small retailer, mainly on-line, based in the Barossa. A total of 97 bottles in the set.
1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Wendouree Shiraz
1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Wendouree Cabernet Sauvignon
1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Wendouree Shiraz/Mataro
1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Wendouree Shiraz/Malbec
1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Wendouree Cabernet/Malbec
2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Wendouree Malbec
2005 Wendouree Pressings (Shiraz Malbec)
Drink the wine, not the label.

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

I have a fair few of those. Cost me well south of $14K.

-- George Krashos

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I wish people would drink more Wendouree. Seems to be bought and on sold, far more so than drunk.

Even here on auswine, amongst aficionados, not much seems to be consumed. Actually, very little premium wine seems to be consumed ?
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Part of the problem is people buy a ton of it without really liking it...

But a ton of premium wine gets drunk from the people on here..not sure where you get the impression that isn't the case...Just from people's posted tasting notes?

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

JamieBahrain wrote:I wish people would drink more Wendouree. Seems to be bought and on sold, far more so than drunk.

Even here on auswine, amongst aficionados, not much seems to be consumed. Actually, very little premium wine seems to be consumed ?
Speaking for myself I've only been on the Wendouree Mailer since the 09 vintage.
For the that resaon I haven't touched any of my Wendouree except a 2011 Shiraz which was consumed at the most recent Wendouree Offline in Adelaide. I liked it. It didn't blow my socks off. Compared to the 90's stuff it didn't really compare.
I'd certainly consume more if I had a far reaching and deeper collection like some of you other folks (hi Craig and Jamie) but I've resigned myself to keeping them for at least 10 years before taking them seriously. The Mid 90's cabs and cab/malbecs that I have tried have been really enjoyable and dragged my palate towards a more structured and refined style. Notable mentions to the 94 cab and the 96 Cab/mal.
These sent my socks flying across the room. Amazing stuff.

I was thinking of dabbling in the auction Wendourees for some mid 90's gear and I still might but i'm in no rush.
What puts me off are corked examples such as Marios 98 Shiraz/mataro(?) presented at the most recent Adelaide Offline.

If i could back the Delorean out and go back to the early 90's I'd be going very long on 90's Wendourees and there'd be a lot more activity in the consumption thread
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

rooman

Post by rooman »

JamieBahrain wrote:Actually, very little premium wine seems to be consumed ?
Interesting point. I believe a fair amount of top end wine does get consumed by people on the forum but unless it happens at offlines open to everyone, it becomes a little difficult to post and discuss where only the few are invited. Obviously people can and do regularly post their experience with top wines but the risk for a forum like this is that it becomes elitist and people drop away and stop posting.

This was what happened with the old Winestar forum which is now effectively dead. Over time, a small group of people started to dominate the forum with endless discussions about DRC, First Growths etc etc and people just stopped participating predominately because they didn't feel their wines were up to scratch. It became like Animal Farm - all little pigs were equal but some were more equal than others.

One of the good developments that has happened on Auswine is there are two threads for high end wines the first being for burgundy and second barolos etc. So if people don't feel like reading about wines they can't afford, they just skip those threads. Consequently they stay involved on other threads where they can participate.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I liked the winestar forum though ultra-high end consumption seemed to get a little fictitious on occasion. I'll leave it at that. Certainly from what I deduced from moving in some circles a little photographic evidence would have been more convincing.

Your probably right, a lot of high end stuff may not get mentioned here. I don't mention unless Piedmont mainly for my own reference and time constraints.

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

JamieBahrain wrote:I liked the winestar forum though ultra-high end consumption seemed to get a little fictitious on occasion. I'll leave it at that. Certainly from what I deduced from moving in some circles a little photographic evidence would have been more convincing.

Your probably right, a lot of high end stuff may not get mentioned here. I don't mention unless Piedmont mainly for my own reference and time constraints.
Fictitious with hand firmly planted...would have to be earning a billion a year and sleeping with the CEOs wife...I only lasted 200 posts over there, too many condescending arse wipes, "Jeez...you like Metala, you' re in the wrong aisle mate' :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers Craig

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Scotty vino wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:I wish people would drink more Wendouree. Seems to be bought and on sold, far more so than drunk.

Speaking for myself I've only been on the Wendouree Mailer since the 09 vintage.
Likewise, well 2010 for me but same reason.
------------------------------------
Sam

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Scotty vino wrote:

For the that resaon I haven't touched any of my Wendouree except a 2011 Shiraz which was consumed at the most recent Wendouree Offline in Adelaide. I liked it. It didn't blow my socks off. Compared to the 90's stuff it didn't really compare.
I'd certainly consume more if I had a far reaching and deeper collection like some of you other folks (hi Craig and Jamie) but I've resigned myself to keeping them for at least 10 years before taking them seriously. The Mid 90's cabs and cab/malbecs that I have tried have been really enjoyable and dragged my palate towards a more structured and refined style. Notable mentions to the 94 cab and the 96 Cab/mal.
These sent my socks flying across the room. Amazing stuff.

I was thinking of dabbling in the auction Wendourees for some mid 90's gear and I still might but i'm in no rush.
What puts me off are corked examples such as Marios 98 Shiraz/mataro(?) presented at the most recent Adelaide Offline.

If i could back the Delorean out and go back to the early 90's I'd be going very long on 90's Wendourees and there'd be a lot more activity in the consumption thread
Scotty, we will have plenty of opportunities to look at a few Wendouree's over the journey. I have half a mind to buy a few from a local Adelaide auction house who has some blends going back to early 90s. I have 25 years of straight Shiraz and Cab and all others from about 06 onwards, but prior to that lots of gaps in the blends going back 10 years or more.

cheers craig

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

All my best experiences with Wendouree have been aged examples. My collection goes back to 98 (and I wasn't found worthy in 99) so I'm still holding off on my 2000+ stock. No rush. Last year I drank or tasted more than half a dozen examples and that's not including the Wendouree offline.

rooman

Post by rooman »

JamieBahrain wrote:I liked the winestar forum though ultra-high end consumption seemed to get a little fictitious on occasion. I'll leave it at that. Certainly from what I deduced from moving in some circles a little photographic evidence would have been more convincing.

Jamie I went to a few of the high end dinners and some people were amazingly generous turning up with really good vintages of Latours and Margaux etc, sadly no DRC but that was just bad luck on my behalf. The trouble was my cellar just wasn’t operating at the ultra high end.

One members cellar was reputedly worth over $1m. If you met him, you would have realised it wasn’t all bluff and bluster. Really humble guy in finance (not the one in Singapore) and ridiculously generous even by auswine standards. He just had a total addiction to collecting and kindly sharing. Some people here may know who I mean. In the end however it shrink to a dozen top end drinkers.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

phillisc wrote: ...I only lasted 200 posts over there, too many condescending arse wipes, "Jeez...you like Metala, you' re in the wrong aisle mate'.
Ahh, the Winestar forum ... yes, I remember it well. That was where someone called me a Collingwood supporter, as in "I didn't know there were Collingwood supporters in Canada". I really did have to look up what he meant. Then, when I called him up on it, he feigned ignorance, pretending not to know what it meant. In the same thread the same fellow insisted that Australia, at a time when Howard was PM, was a communist country, more communist than the People's Republic of China.

I recall saying that he should stick to Bordeaux which, if I recall correctly, he seemed to know a thing or two about.

Mahmoud.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

rooman wrote:Jamie I went to a few of the high end dinners and some people were amazingly generous turning up with really good vintages of Latours and Margaux etc, sadly no DRC but that was just bad luck on my behalf. The trouble was my cellar just wasn’t operating at the ultra high end.

One members cellar was reputedly worth over $1m. If you met him, you would have realised it wasn’t all bluff and bluster. Really humble guy in finance (not the one in Singapore) and ridiculously generous even by auswine standards. He just had a total addiction to collecting and kindly sharing. Some people here may know who I mean. In the end however it shrink to a dozen top end drinkers.
Hi Rooman

I'm not doubting the veracity of the events. Being in Hong Kong where the cellars are eye-watering and people are happy to show them off, I wasn't in awe of what went on by a small scale comparison either. My friend's 17 year old son and his mates, who go back to Australian boarding schools in their family private jets, were drinking DRC at a local restaurant last month. Not even of drinking age and drinking 30K a bottle wines. Stupid, unimpressive and probably one of the nicer things of getting older is I know what I like to drink and I value it.

Definitely, I felt a few characters were brandishing wine experiences about that didn't happen. There were a few clear instances and I recall having just started my own journey in a wine region and a few folks all of a sudden had drunk all the greats from there ( never been mentioned prior and we all were following each other's journeys with weekly reports ). I guess one -upmanship can make some people deludingly warm and fuzzy?

A one million dollar Aussie cellar is worth about 500K abroad? With all the local taxes and wine inflation ? Unless it's a million dollars worth of Wendouree. I reckon that could be sold for more abroad. :D

Teobaldo Cappellano

rooman

Post by rooman »

JamieBahrain wrote:
Hi Rooman

I'm not doubting the veracity of the events. Being in Hong Kong where the cellars are eye-watering and people are happy to show them off, I wasn't in awe of what went on by a small scale comparison either. My friend's 17 year old son and his mates, who go back to Australian boarding schools in their family private jets, were drinking DRC at a local restaurant last month. Not even of drinking age and drinking 30K a bottle wines. Stupid, unimpressive and probably one of the nicer things of getting older is I know what I like to drink and I value it.

Definitely, I felt a few characters were brandishing wine experiences about that didn't happen. There were a few clear instances and I recall having just started my own journey in a wine region and a few folks all of a sudden had drunk all the greats from there ( never been mentioned prior and we all were following each other's journeys with weekly reports ). I guess one -upmanship can make some people deludingly warm and fuzzy?

A one million dollar Aussie cellar is worth about 500K abroad? With all the local taxes and wine inflation ? Unless it's a million dollars worth of Wendouree. I reckon that could be sold for more abroad. :D
Jamie

As Tom Petty used to say: "Oh to be king for a day". The point being I like the current forum as the wines people taste and discuss cover the full spectrum and so far we have resisted the rot that set in with Winestar where only a few people discussed extremely expensive and for many unattainable wines. Probably the best forum I have seen due primarily to its location is the UK WIne Pages. Because they are UK based like HK they drink amazing wines which are nevertheless affordable by their standards. I know we now have serious thread drift but taxes and import duties just kill the top end in Aus. I looked up a wine recently which I read about in Decanter. Local price was $A300 :roll: I then checked the US price as I am back in the US at Xmas - $A95. :roll: :roll: Its one reason I just have to cry when I follow your discussions around Barolo and Michel with Burgundies. Our taxes just take these wines for so many of us.

Mark

michel

Post by michel »

rooman wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:
Hi Rooman

Jamie

As Tom Petty used to say: "Oh to be king for a day". The point being I like the current forum as the wines people taste and discuss cover the full spectrum and so far we have resisted the rot that set in with Winestar where only a few people discussed extremely expensive and for many unattainable wines. Probably the best forum I have seen due primarily to its location is the UK WIne Pages. Because they are UK based like HK they drink amazing wines which are nevertheless affordable by their standards. I know we now have serious thread drift but taxes and import duties just kill the top end in Aus. I looked up a wine recently which I read about in Decanter. Local price was $A300 :roll: I then checked the US price as I am back in the US at Xmas - $A95. :roll: :roll: Its one reason I just have to cry when I follow your discussions around Barolo and Michel with Burgundies. Our taxes just take these wines for so many of us.

Mark
I will save you some tissues and not post for a while 8)
International Chambertin Day 16th May

rooman

Post by rooman »

michel wrote:
rooman wrote:

Jamie

Mark
Michel

I would rather have some of your burgundy. Actually I have been invited to a massive burgundy tasting this week. So i can post on really expensive wines for once :P

michel

Post by michel »

rooman wrote:
michel wrote:
rooman wrote:

Jamie

Mark
Michel

I would rather have some of your burgundy. Actually I have been invited to a massive burgundy tasting this week. So i can post on really expensive wines for once :P
Post notes if you’re keen
I rarely post my wine experiences
The moment the times are better
Last week was a snapshot of GC Chambolle-Musigny...
:lol:

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

michel wrote: Post notes if you’re keen
Same. I'm finding that the wine drinking experiences are more about the moment and the people than about the trophy hunting (and publishing). Petrus and Eiswein one week, Canadian Pinot and Greek Xynomavro the next.

michel

Post by michel »

Wizz wrote:
michel wrote: Post notes if you’re keen
Same. I'm finding that the wine drinking experiences are more about the moment and the people than about the trophy hunting (and publishing). Petrus and Eiswein one week, Canadian Pinot and Greek Xynomavro the next.

Yes Andrew I concur
And importantly
Consider this thread officially hijacked!

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

michel wrote:Consider this thread officially hijacked!
What a pity !

But now it's the I'm too cool to post notes thread.

Here goes-

This week DOMAINE MEO-CAMUZET & DOMAINE SYLVAIN CATHIARD vertical and a upcoming 1996 Bordeaux First Growth and friends horizontal.

I refuse to take notes too ! :D

Teobaldo Cappellano

michel

Post by michel »

JamieBahrain wrote:
michel wrote:Consider this thread officially hijacked!
What a pity !

But now it's the I'm too cool to post notes thread.

Here goes-

This week DOMAINE MEO-CAMUZET & DOMAINE SYLVAIN CATHIARD vertical and a upcoming 1996 Bordeaux First Growth and friends horizontal.

I refuse to take notes too ! :D
Sounds fun
We have
Rousseau Chambertin Vertical
Perfect Provenance
Purchased at release
1990-2010

Followed by Rousseau Beze next dinner

I will take notes as Rousseau reflects the vintage with incredible accuracy & purity. :wink:
My mates cellar 12degrees

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

speaking of tastings, Jamie, you going to the Altaya annual this Friday the 16th?
usually quite good, broad look at lots of wines, some pretty decent.
I'll be there for the Clos des Cortons masterclass and then the tasting afterwards.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I've 4 days R and R in Bangkok so I'll miss that one. I really struggle to make many of the great events up here due my roster and generally stick to the one tasting group unfortunately.

Teobaldo Cappellano

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Id post a photo of every bottle drunk but this forum is difficult to simply just upload a photo. It requries resizing

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

It shouldn't be all that difficult to resize. When viewing the photo in Preview, go to 'File' along the top and from the drop down menu select 'Save As' and use the quality bar to save the new photo file to the right size.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

I don't post pics of the wines because, frankly, it's too bloody hard. You just described it.... why bother!!!!!!!