Your Cellar Treasure

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Brucer

Re: Your Cellar Treasure

Post by Brucer »

1987 Skilogalee shiraz.
Brilliant wine, I drank dozens. Made by Stephen George's father. Stephen George..Ashton Hills/Wendouree fame.
I kept one bottle.
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Redav

Post by Redav »

winetastic wrote:Tyrrell's Shiraz 4 Acres 2009
The last vintage where I was able to get my hands on some. Australia's greatest wine? Should be in the conversation at least. I really love the 2009 vintage in the Hunter too.
Ah, good stuff, they can make up my third wine. I have three left of five (the first two went really young). I'd then since read that they should be given at least a 10 year sleep so I'm keen on cracking one next year :D

shirazphile

Post by shirazphile »

My special bottles are as follows:
Mount Langi Ghiran Langi Shiraz 1998
A single vineyard wine from a great vintage. Made by the master, Trevor Mast. I remeber purchasing the three bottles from Quaffers, the chain that pre-dated 1st Choice.
Wynns Coonawarra Estate John Riddoch 1998
I always wanted the purchase John Riddoch, and was thrilled when I did. It was is also from a legendary Coonawarra vintage.
Voyager Estate Cabernet Merlot 2005
A birth year wine that is to be opened up on my daughter's 21st birthday. Was from a very good Margaret River vintage.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Deleted
Last edited by rooman on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooman

Post by rooman »

asajoseph wrote:I'll stick to one - a 1983 Chateau Figeac, in near perfect condition.

It's a birth year wine (mine!), purchased while visiting St Emilion for the first time, round about the period I was really getting into wine in the first place.
The ‘81, ‘82 & ‘83 Bordeaux vintages were the first French vintages I collected in any volume. It’s been a while since I had any of the ‘83 of anything but you might want to check some of the recent posts on cellartracker for the ‘83 Figeac - quite a few suggest it is coming to the end of its drinking window. Being a magnum will clearly help but seems about now may be the time to consider drinking it.

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

Three ‘irreplaceables’, my last bottle by each winemaker, who is no longer with us. I’ve enjoyed a few bottles by each of them but not enough having only become aware of them late in their careers. They had a special talent.
I’ve been putting off opening these bottles but wine is drinking, so maybe next year......
Didier Dagueneau Jurançon Les Jardins de Babylone;
René Engel Grands-Echezeaux 2004 (Philippe);
Alois Kracher Chardonnay/Welschriesling Grande Cuvée #7 Nouvelle Vague.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Well - I had a bottle of 1998 JJ Prum Eiswein as the most treasured - and drank it this year at a combined 50th and 70th for good wineloving friends.

Of the bottles that remain - two half bottles of Riesling from a Mosel producer that should be Trockenbeerenauslese, but for reasons i have been asked to keep to myself, never received an AP number. They are both over 500g/l residual and have the acid to match that. They will outlive me. I had three and have consumed one.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Great topic and makes me think back in terms of treasured wines and what they mean.

First cab off the rank, so to speak :lol: :lol: ...

1976 Redman Cabernet Sauvignon in magnum
Bought a six pack of these in my early years of visiting wine areas and Coonawarra in particular. I was a young single bloke, just shifted to Melbourne from Adelaide for work in the late 70's and these bottles featured at several enjoyable restaurant meals, Ellie's in Sth Yarra was a favourite.

1990 Penfolds Bin90A Coonawarra Cabernet Barossa Shiraz
Again, purchased a six pack near on release in the mid-90's (and many others on the secondary market since) and has just been a wonderful wine. Some bottle variation now, but good examples are superb, my special occasion wine.

1954 Wynns Cabernet Sauvignon, the first of what is now over 60 vintages, although white label then.
This bottle has been in the cellar for a couple of years only, having been sourced on the secondary market. I have never tried this before. A birth year wine, to be opened perhaps at next year's birthday. Anticipation is high :D :D

Honourable mentions to 96 Penfolds Block42, which will undoubtedly overtake my like of Bin90A, 1954 Ch Latour, my birth year was crap in Bordeaux, but had to be done, two bottles had, one in 1994 and one in 2004, and of course many bottles of 1982 Wynns John Riddoch
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I almost cellared an Angove VP but one evening, a very long time ago, after a dinner with friends, we needed another dessert wine. The Angove was a recent purchase so I thought it okay to open the young port and then replace it. Well I never got around to doing so.

Post a note on how they are when you do get around to opening them.

Cheers ............ Mahmoud.

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

Great thread topic. For me...

2006 Grange - Definitely the only Grange I will ever buy. Bought it quite a few years ago for $550 retail telling myself it's too much but it'll be the only one. I didn't want to risk auction, and looking at current prices I'm definitely not thinking of getting another.

2015 Faiveley Corton Clos de Cortons GC - Again, probably the only GC Burgundy I'll ever buy. Although I was gifted a second one so I've got a test bottle at least. :lol:

2010 Ch. Montrose - Heard all the stellar reviews and at $300AUD thought it was a "bargain", hopefully that will be the case when I open it in 20 years.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Great topic!

2003 Marius Single Vineyard McLaren Vale Shiraz (2 left) - the wine that began my love affair with Marius and Roger Pike :shock: . Given the rest of the bottle to take home after an exceptional tasting on Roger's front verandah with barrel samples of the 2004 Symphony and Simpatico (and maybe a 2005 Symposium?) in early 2006. Still my best ever wine tasting, and a connection made by this Forum to boot.

2001 Penfolds Kalimna (not trademarked at the time!) Bin 28 Shiraz - the bottle I have had in the cellar for the longest, and a regular favourite until other wines became much better vale. Almost seduced by the current vintage, but at $40 there are more interesting options (though I might put one or two away....will this relationship never end!)

Honourable mentions to two wines:
2004 Majella Cabernet (2 left) - for opening my eyes to the wonders of cabernet.
2005 Burge Family Winemakers Olive Hill Grenache Shiraz Mouvedre (1 left) - for showing me the wonders of Grenache and blends.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

brodie

Post by brodie »

mjs wrote:Great topic and makes me think back in terms of treasured wines and what they mean.

Bought a six pack of these in my early years of visiting wine areas and Coonawarra in particular. I was a young single bloke, just shifted to Melbourne from Adelaide for work in the late 70's and these bottles featured at several enjoyable restaurant meals, Ellie's in Sth Yarra was a favourite.

Again, purchased a six pack near on release in the mid-90's (and many others on the secondary market since) and has just been a wonderful wine. Some bottle variation now, but good examples are superb, my special occasion wine.

1954 Wynns Cabernet Sauvignon, the first of what is now over 60 vintages, although white label then.
This bottle has been in the cellar for a couple of years only, having been sourced on the secondary market. I have never tried this before. A birth year wine, to be opened perhaps at next year's birthday. Anticipation is high :D :D

Honourable mentions to 96 Penfolds Block42, which will undoubtedly overtake my like of Bin90A, 1954 Ch Latour, my birth year was crap in Bordeaux, but had to be done, two bottles had, one in 1994 and one in 2004, and of course many bottles of 1982 Wynns John Riddoch
Hi Malcolm, somehow for "Mr Coonawarra" your list does not shock me. Great list of wines btw...

Brodie

mjs

Post by mjs »

brodie wrote:
mjs wrote:Great topic and makes me think back in terms of treasured wines and what they mean.

Hi Malcolm, somehow for "Mr Coonawarra" your list does not shock me. Great list of wines btw...

Brodie
Hi Brodie, thanks for the comment, great to hear from you, yes perhaps I’m a little predictable :D
Hope you are going well in the Shaky Isles
Cheers, Malcolm
Last edited by mjs on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

86 Kaiser Stuhl Red ribbon Barossa Shiraz...amazing for so many reasons
82 JR...what else! Case buy from the CD...$132 a dozen

First Shiraz that David Wynn at Mountadam made...an 84 I think, before Adam took the reins...super wine one of the first bottles that my father and I drank together

cheers craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

No individual bottles but 10 year verticals of Woodlands CS (STD and Magnum), Moss wood CS and Clonakilla SV

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

phillisc wrote:86 Kaiser Stuhl Red ribbon Barossa Shiraz...amazing for so many reasons
82 JR...what else! Case buy from the CD...$132 a dozen

First Shiraz that David Wynn at Mountadam made...an 84 I think, before Adam took the reins...super wine one of the first bottles that my father and I drank together

cheers craig
Last couple of the 86s Red Ribbons have been tired, but what an excellent wine for just a few bucks!