Unicorn wines of the future..

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Craig(NZ)

Re: Unicorn wines of the future..

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Craig, I absolutely agree with your comments re the young wines in verticals. I’ve posted the same thought repeatedly. Most critics do the same thing.
Maybe the great wines are just the older ones that don't fall apart? :mrgreen:

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Craig(NZ) wrote:
Gary W wrote:The young wines are most often better, and in the case of Coleraine, aside freak 82 first crop, a golden era starting around 2007-> and really stepping up from there. Winemakers agree...
Winemakers agree on one thing: the vintage for sale is the best ever. I give Peter Cowley shit about it as he rolls it out every year. Now he says to me "Craig this is the best 2016 Coleraine we have ever made". :mrgreen: Consummate marketers :mrgreen:

mjs

Post by mjs »

Craig(NZ) wrote:
Craig, I absolutely agree with your comments re the young wines in verticals. I’ve posted the same thought repeatedly. Most critics do the same thing.
Craig,
I would have to say, if I hadn’t tasted Coleraine and I was reading your notes, I would say that with only one or two exceptions, it wasn’t a wine that ages well. At least that’s the impression I get from your notes. I have only tasted some relatively young Coleraines, they gave me the impression that it is a very high quality wine with the potential to age, I just haven’t personally experienced some older versions.
Cheers, Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

rooman

Post by rooman »

Gary W wrote:The young wines are most often better, and in the case of Coleraine, aside freak 82 first crop, a golden era starting around 2007-> and really stepping up from there. Winemakers agree...
Gary

I was very pleased to read your comments re the 2007s as this is the only vintage of Coleraine I have in any volume. Given we both have kids born in 2007 I recall the effort trying to find any decent reds to cellar that might last the distance. Any thoughts on how long this vintage might go?

As to whether it’s the best kiwi red, I still believe I prefer Stonyridge Larose and also have some of their 2007 which is definitely a long term cellar.

Mark

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

mjs wrote:
Craig(NZ) wrote:
Craig,
I would have to say, if I hadn’t tasted Coleraine and I was reading your notes, I would say that with only one or two exceptions, it wasn’t a wine that ages well. At least that’s the impression I get from your notes. I have only tasted some relatively young Coleraines, they gave me the impression that it is a very high quality wine with the potential to age, I just haven’t personally experienced some older versions.
Cheers, Malcolm
my notes of Gary's notes?

Lesser vintage is good for an easy 10 years. A great vintage 30 years.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

rooman wrote:
Gary

I was very pleased to read your comments re the 2007s as this is the only vintage of Coleraine I have in any volume. Given we both have kids born in 2007 I recall the effort trying to find any decent reds to cellar that might last the distance. Any thoughts on how long this vintage might go?

As to whether it’s the best kiwi red, I still believe I prefer Stonyridge Larose and also have some of their 2007 which is definitely a long term cellar.

Mark
2007 on release seemed an immortal vintage but it is starting now to enter its drinking window. Still good for another decade though in my opinion

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

rooman wrote:
Gary

Mark
I think I have some 2007 too. Good now, another decade at least I'd say. Was not tasting with a view to cellaring and there were 30 something wines in quick order, so, to an extent, I write the condition of the wine into the note - i.e. drying out, tiring, looks full of fruit etc.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Craig(NZ) wrote:
mjs wrote:
Craig(NZ) wrote:
Craig,
Cheers, Malcolm
my notes of Gary's notes?

Lesser vintage is good for an easy 10 years. A great vintage 30 years.
Oops, good pickup. Yes, Gary’s notes
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

VINH NGUYEN

Post by VINH NGUYEN »

Theporkrail wrote:Great post this, have just had a great half hours reading, couple of my thoughts

Some of the early Sami Odi wines are already unicorns, and I think will continue to be so, also several of the 2014 single site Hunter wines such as 4 acres, 1965 Vines Rosehill, etc will certainly be in contention. Also Standish "The Standish" 2012 is to me the epitome of this discussion, grapes from a vineyard he only got once (although he may have access to it again with the Lamella in recent years), just a one off of a wine that is just a level above the outstanding.

Sometimes I think these unicorn wines show up though from unlauded vintages too where something just goes right but no one expects it, no one keeps too many, and then magically the wine transforms to to a myth
Hopefully you’re right hehe
8F4D8742-5746-443A-8F2E-FC42EC787D81.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

With the news coming out of Marius Im going to say any Marius wine!
I think the 2017 vintage wil be something special.
When The Wine front are calling the 2016 Marius Sym the best
South OZ Shiraz next to some of the Standish gear you know it's gotta be good.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Scotty vino wrote:With the news coming out of Marius Im going to say any Marius wine!
Scotty

What news are you referring to? Has the vineyard been sold?

mark

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

rooman wrote:

mark
No,

Roger is retiring. 2019 will be his last vintage, so 3 more vintages to come. No news on whether or not he will sell it/handover etc...
instagram.com/wine_pug

RogerPike

Post by RogerPike »

rooman wrote:
Scotty vino wrote:With the news coming out of Marius Im going to say any Marius wine!
Scotty

mark
https://rogerpike.com.au/news/

Roger

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

felixp21 wrote:
Mahmoud Ali wrote:The 1963 Mildara Cabernet may well have been made in relatively large quantities but would it be fair to say it's iconic reputation was established when most bottles had already been consumed.
.... not at all. There was a period of maybe 2-3 months where the wine was released with good reviews, but after that, it was an absolute bun fight to get the wine. This story related to me by my father.... on advice from a mate at Tahbilk, he purchased 6 cases right at release, six months later when he tried to get more, it was impossible, with the price more than 5 times that at release. Just about every wine lover in Australia knew this was a freak wine within a year of release.
I'd heard about "Peppermint Patty" but not the background, so thanks for the information, good to know.

Maybe you know something about another famous wine, one of the old d'Arry's Original, the 1966 maybe? I suppose that may have been a unicorn wine at sometime and maybe still so if it was still drinking well.

Mahmoud.

rooman

Post by rooman »

RogerPike wrote:
rooman wrote:
Scotty

mark

Roger
Roger from a personal perspective that’s a pity as I’ve only recently started cellaring your wines. Sadly it sounds as though you will be long gone before I decide to open the first bottle. From all accounts I have a treat to look forward to one day next decade.

Cheers
Mark

via collins

Post by via collins »

Roger's decision to pack it in is surprising at face value, but when you look at what he's achieved in pretty tough circumstances, you tend to think, "Dues well paid, put your feet up big feller!"

And having 3 more vintages to savour is a real joy out of the sadness I reckon.

And Mark, it would be no sin to try any vintage early after a generous decant IMHO.

rooman

Post by rooman »

via collins wrote:
And Mark, it would be no sin to try any vintage early after a generous decant IMHO.
Normally I would agree but with only two bottles each of the last vintage, opening one now feels more like infanticide. :cry:

Mark

via collins

Post by via collins »

Ah yes. Given that data Mark, I was being a tad cavalier :)

Theporkrail

Post by Theporkrail »

VINH NGUYEN wrote:
Theporkrail wrote:Great post this, have just had a great half hours reading, couple of my thoughts

Some of the early Sami Odi wines are already unicorns, and I think will continue to be so, also several of the 2014 single site Hunter wines such as 4 acres, 1965 Vines Rosehill, etc will certainly be in contention. Also Standish "The Standish" 2012 is to me the epitome of this discussion, grapes from a vineyard he only got once (although he may have access to it again with the Lamella in recent years), just a one off of a wine that is just a level above the outstanding.

Sometimes I think these unicorn wines show up though from unlauded vintages too where something just goes right but no one expects it, no one keeps too many, and then magically the wine transforms to to a myth
Is that a magnum i see !!

rooman

Post by rooman »

via collins wrote:Ah yes. Given that data Mark, I was being a tad cavalier :)
Yes normally I try and put away 4-6 of any wine I cellar so I can try an early example but in this case sadly its only a couple. This topic goes to the heart of another point often discussed, namely how many bottles do people like to cellar of a particular wine. It is very rare I put away just two of a particular wine but in this case two is better than none.

Mark

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

VINH NGUYEN wrote:
Theporkrail wrote:Also Standish "The Standish" 2012 is to me the epitome of this discussion, grapes from a vineyard he only got once (although he may have access to it again with the Lamella in recent years), just a one off of a wine that is just a level above the outstanding.

Can you guys educate me on what makes the 2012 The Standish so special? And for that matter why are the early Sami Odi wines different to say the last five vintages?
Thanks.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Hacker wrote:
VINH NGUYEN wrote:
Theporkrail wrote:Also Standish "The Standish" 2012 is to me the epitome of this discussion, grapes from a vineyard he only got once (although he may have access to it again with the Lamella in recent years), just a one off of a wine that is just a level above the outstanding.

Can you guys educate me on what makes the 2012 The Standish so special? And for that matter why are the early Sami Odi wines different to say the last five vintages?
Thanks.
Dave,
I was lucky enough to do a tasting with Fraser in May and also lucky enough that he had 3 vintages open, as there had been an American wine critic tasting the day before. I only have the last 5 vintages of Sami Odi in the cellar, but the 2015 single vineyard (can't remember the name) was really something special and I wish I had more of it. All 4 of us agreed it was amazing. So much power, grace and length. One for the ages.
I can't speak for whether or not his early vintages were better than the recent ones but he did say that 2018 is looking exceptional.
Also, the Standish Lamella is my pick to be very sought after in the future.
Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

rens

Post by rens »

RogerPike wrote:
rooman wrote:
Scotty

mark

Roger
Very sorry to hear this news Roger. I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed that the right person comes along to be the next custodian of one of my favourite labels.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity