1991 Tyrrell's 'Vat 9' Hunter Valley Shiraz

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Phil Wilkins

1991 Tyrrell's 'Vat 9' Hunter Valley Shiraz

Post by Phil Wilkins »

At 27 years I was expecting a brown wine here. Instead, I get deep garnet with little bricking, zero seepage on the cork and very little sediment. The wine itself is medium bodied with good vibrant but evolved earthy Hunter fruit. Secondary notes of old leather, boot polish, a touch of smoked liquorice and a lot more adding complexity. Balanced and moderately long with integrated tannins there is no rush to drink this piece of history. In all an expressive and pleasurable bottle. 12.5%vol 91pts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

michel

Re: 1991 Tyrrell's 'Vat 9' Hunter Valley Shiraz

Post by michel »

classic label in immaculate condition
International Chambertin Day 16th May

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

And that rare unicorn, a perfect cork from a 90's Australian Wine!

Love seeing 12.5% on the label, wish we saw more of it. (Although I accept it could still be 14% given the 1.5% leeway. I wish they would bring that rule more in line with much of Europe (0.5%) or the US (1%))

I enjoyed that wine a lot last time I tried it a few years ago, classic label that ages well (and needs it IMHO).

Willard

Post by Willard »

Yes, the cork looks great, and wonderful you got a nice bottle!

1991 a very good vintage from reports. I have one each of the 1994 and 1996 Vat 9 that I plan to open in the next year or so. Hope I get a similar result!

Will
wills.wines

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Don't know how I missed commenting on this post, a lovely old wine and great old labels in pristine condition. Nice to see a cork in an older Australian wine that isn't cheap and plain as was often the case.

Will, do post a note on the '94 or '96 when you open it. My oldest is from the 2000 vintage along with a cellar door exclusive Vat 11 that sports an even more classic old-fashioned label.

Cheers ............... Mahmoud.

Willard

Post by Willard »

Will do Mahmoud. I’ve got a bottle of Vat 11 also, 1996. Is it NVC vineyard? I might be mis-remembering, I’ll have to pull out the bottle and check it out. That surely needs drinking soon too.

Will
wills.wines

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

My 2000 Tyrrell's Vat 11 was called Baulkham Shiraz, so not sure which vineyard. I preferred the Vat 9 while my partner preferred the Vat 11, so like all good couples we compromised and bought both.

Mahmoud.

Theporkrail

Post by Theporkrail »

I had a 1992 a year or so ago, and it remains one of my favourite wine experiences