Piedmonte Christmas Trip

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
DaveS

Piedmonte Christmas Trip

Post by DaveS »

Hello all

Hoping you can help me. I’ll be in Italy end of the year and I’ll be finding myself in Piedmonte around Christmas time. Does anyone know if many wineries will be open Christmas Eve or Boxing Day? I’m assuming Christmas Day is a no go.

Thanks

Dave

winetastic

Re: Piedmonte Christmas Trip

Post by winetastic »

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/italy/

Dec 26 is a national holiday, so seems very unlikely.

Even in tourist season, it is basically a requirement to have a booking for a visit/tour ahead of time. I would email a few wineries you would most like to visit and just ask if they would be able to receive guests on the dates you will be in the area.

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Thanks for the reply

David

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Hi Dave
Probably difficult, at least for those days. The call of family is strong (as evidenced by the motto which loosely translates as christmas is with your family, but easter is with who you like). The big days don't quite align to ours, and IIRC boxing days isn't a big deal but christmas eve and christmas day are.

My temptation would be to find an agriturismo (farmstay) that is open over the holiday and serving food. If it's a winery, then even better. The meals in the agriturismi tend to be hearty and substantial to full banquet jobs, but often for so little money.

The tourist site langheroero.it are very good indeed, very professional. Worth dropping them a line and asking for suggestions of wineries who may open, or alternative things to do that might be just as good. They also can arrange winery visits, though we tend to email direct & responses usually arrive within a few days, but may take a little longer if writing in English.

How long will you be there and do you know which village you'll be staying in?

Regards
Ian

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Cheers Ian, my itinerary has me in the region for 4 nights and to fit in other plans I have it was looking like 25, 26th, 27th and 28th Dec were the likely days (28th will be a travel day). Looking at staying in Alba. My itinerary is a bit tight but I’m thinking I am probably best to push those dates out by a day (26th - 29th) so I at least have the 27th and 28th in the area which hopefully will be enough to scratch my Nebbiolo itch.

via collins

Post by via collins »

I would concur with Ian regarding the agroturismo option. I don't know for sure that they would be operating as usual, but they each operate under their own rules, you'll find something for sure.

The village around Alba are so damn magical that I would not be too fussed about missing the big gun cellar door experiences - simply rolling around those hills checking on who is where is an enormously enjoyable experience. And each village will have a tasting option or two available most days outside of the big one. I've only travelled this part of Italy with sun on my shoulder, but have often gazed at the photographs of the hills under snow during winter with a real sense of longing.

I envy you!

(p.s., if at all possible, do not miss a food option that I picked up from this forum courtesy of Liam - it's rather dully called Osteria Taste - but it's magnificent - the situation, the staff (family owners), and the food and wine options: http://www.osteriataste.it/ )

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

and if you get snow, the scenery will be magical, though perhaps a little intimidating for the driving. It's never busy and the roads are a joy to drive, but the hills can be a little steep in places. Steady works wonders.

I like the idea of moving just a single day back - I can't say for sure, but I think it will open up more.

Alba definitely worth a day trip to, and again could be magical if there's snow or even a heavy frost. I would lean towards staying in an Agriturismo though, as it's so much more convivial. If wanting to leave all options open, then Barbaresco (and satellite villages) are in very easy striking distance of Alba, so you could even just take a taxi and avoid any driving concerns. It also ties in with via Collins' suggestion as Tre Stelle is the point you either go right to Treiso or left to Barbaresco. That suggestion noted - we've not tried it before so will give it a go when next in the area.

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Thanks all for the tips, much appreciated! Have just booked an agriturismo just outside of Alba - 26th Dec - 30 Dec so two full days in the area after Boxing Day. Had been looking at the town of Alba itself until I read these comments. Will check out that restaurant suggestion too. Am also spending 5 nights in Tuscany before and heading to the mountains for some snow after Piedmonte. Am a little bit on a high after booking the accommodation and trying not to think about the fact that it is still 8 months away :D

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Hi Dave
I reckon just outside Alba will be ideal. If the weather is bad, then plenty of interest in Alba itself, but if good, then plenty of options to drive to the Barolo villages and get a feel for them, as well as the Barbaresco villages that are on the edge of being walkable from Alba. For weather, I use Meteo.it who have been (understandably) better than the UK Met office, but there are also other organisations doing Italian weather forecasting.

If Tuscany involves Pisa, Siena or Montepulciano, then feel free to ask for tips from when we went.

It's good to get excited. I do rather too much prep in-between booking and going. For me it helps keep that excitement up, but also helps me have a sense of familiarity when arriving somewhere I've never been before. I'll know the basic layout, perhaps a few major landmarks (google streetview can be very useful), plus have a succession of interesting restaurants, food shops, enoteche etc. already nestled in my brain.

Regards
Ian

Diddy

Post by Diddy »

via collins wrote: (p.s., if at all possible, do not miss a food option that I picked up from this forum courtesy of Liam - it's rather dully called Osteria Taste - but it's magnificent - the situation, the staff (family owners), and the food and wine options: http://www.osteriataste.it/ )
Glad you enjoyed it!

via collins

Post by via collins »

Oh man it was good! i feel very slack not reporting in - a combination of time and appalling computer skills have gotten in the way.

The day of cycling was magnificent - covered far more ground than I ever would have in less magical terrain - and my hotel had booked Osteria Taste for me - the hosts were as lovely as the food which was as lovely as the property. Did you get a tour of the wine cellar?

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Ian S wrote:
If Tuscany involves Pisa, Siena or Montepulciano, then feel free to ask for tips from when we went.
Hi Ian

Yes, Montepulciano and Siena are 2 places we plan on staying at so would welcome some tips.
Thanks

David

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Hi Dave

Montepulciano is the archetypal hilltop town... so your calves will be tested by the moderately short, but rather steep slopes. One of the rare places where tasting rooms / cellar doors operate like in Australia. Whilst drop-in is the norm, worth booking one or two visits as the hospitality is that much better when you do so.

A couple of wineries to recommend. The first a little under the radar, the other even more so.

Crociani have a little tasting room and old cellars in the town, but arranging for a visit did seem to bring out very genuine hospitality, even in the middle of them putting together a large export shipment. Those ladies were working hard, yet still managed to make us feel welcome. A cotton shoulder bag was given to us to carry the wine we bought and in it they put a waiter's friend corkscrew. Very generous. The wines I already knew, and absolutely hit the spot I want Vino Nobile to hit (not trying to ape Brunello and not afraid of a little grip).

Daviddi conversely are well out of town, off near Stazione Montepulciano (walkable from there). Arriving a little sodden after getting caught in a rain shower, fresh towels were handed to us to dry off, and after the visit the mother drove us across the way to Poliziano just in case the rain returned. Inbetween the wines (especially the then current Vino Nobile Riserva and the older bottling of it) were one of those cases that makes me think wine critics must taste the same old band of 'name' producers, rather than trying all that is there. They missed (and continue to miss) a good'un, and the wines were much more to our tastes than Poliziano, despite the latter being pricier.

Plenty of others worth a try in the centre, including Dei, Contucci (the most historic, and they value direct contact with customers) and many more. Of those outside, Avignonesi are very good Vino Nobile producers, but their Vin Santo is world class (except that's doing them a dis-service) ~€120-150 a half bottle may sound obscene, but from what I tasted a few years ago, it's very good value! :shock: Not sure if you would even get a taste on a winery visit these days, but I might be prepared to chance it on the offchance.

Here's the listing I made at the time, with one interesting addition I spotted two weeks ago when posting on a travel forum. If you want groceries, then almost everything is in the lower part of town, between the town gate and the bus station (autostazione). The historic part is mostly just good to walk around, admire the views and taste wines, which is fine in my book.

Local taxi: Emanuele Torelli (0)335 6177126
Tourist office – Piazza Don Minzoni mon-sat &
strada del vino – Piazza Grande 7 mon-fri (closed Nov-Mar)

The two ones I've starred were our favourites. La grotta in a handy location for San Biagio ought to have been more touristy, but was really rather relaxed and classy. They ran it very well. Osteria del Conte much more basic/humdrum, but all the better for being a very honest place to eat food that was really very tasty. Worth mentioning Borgo Buio, a rather surreal experience of an owner who is an amateur opera singer and loves to 'serenade' his guests. The food was ok, but no more. Only go here if that sort of surreal experience appeals.

Caffe Poliziano the historic cafe in town, showing a little wear, but strongly recommended for an afternoon selection of their delicate 'mignon' cakes/biscuits etc. to go with the afternoon drink of your choice.

A Gambe di Gatto - Via dell'Opio nel Corso, 34, Phone: 0578.757431 (good food) wed
Ai Quattro Venti - Piazza Grande, Phone: 0578.717231
Borgo Buio - Via Borgo Buio 10, Phone: 0578 717497 mon
*La Grotta - Localita' San Biagio, 15, Phone: 0578 757607 wed
Osteria dell’Acquacheta - Via del Teatro 22, Phone: 0578.75.84.43 wed-mon
* Osteria del Conte - Via San Donato, 19, Phone: 0578.766.062 wed
Ristorante Le Logge del Vignola - via delle Erbe, 6, Phone: 0578.717290
Cafe Poliziano – via di Voltaia nel Corso 27
Trattoria Diva e Maceo - Via di Gracciano nel Corso, 90/92, Phone: 0578.716.951 tue
Caseficio Silvana Cugusi, via della boccia 8 (cheeses incl. Pecorino)
Lo Sfizio (via dell'Opio nel corso 29) for local cured meats and cheese, but also looks interesting for a world-selection of spices

Siena rather surprisingly didn't impress, but most people seem to love it. It felt a little emotionally cold to us (and we're fans of the North, so it's no Neapolitan jibe). It indeed did feel like a city of bankers. The slopes may not be Montepulciano steep, but there is barely a flat part of the whole city, so you'll notice how hard the walking can be. An interesting sight is the outdoor escalators, presumably because they got fed up with walking the same slopes every day.

Oddly the best meal we had was a place (Dolceforte) we stumbled across, and despite being on a less-travelled side street, was closer to a major tourist attraction than I'd normally trust. This place also reinforced the view that Italian artisan beers are just as good with food at the dining table. They may seem pricey vs other beers, but there is often great complexity and fine balance.

The Wednesday market is a huge sprawling affair, with more than it's fair share of tat and repetitive stalls selling pretty much the same stuff. Worth appreciating for the sheer scale of it, and the good stuff mixed in with the mundane. The friday farmer's market however is the most impressive farmer's market I've encountered in Italy (and probably anywhere). Not a huge number of stalls but almost all of 'wow' quality, including the best bread I've eaten in Italy and the best Porchetta that has ever passed my lips. Hopefully the same quality remains.

I had hopes the Consorzio listed below would hit similar heights, but you'd be hard pressed to tell it apart from a humdrum supermarket. Oh well, can't win everything.

The Enoteca Italiana was going through a real fear for its existance when we were there, and as a result felt more like a Mausoleum than a shrine to the pleasure of wine. Worth going on the offchance it's found its feet again.

Wed market – Fortezza Medicea – stadio communale
Tourist office – Piazza del Campo
Buses – Piazza Gramsci
Farmers market in Piazza del Mercato on Fridays
Steam train to San Giovanni d’Asso 9.45am-6.10pm (date?)
Bars on via Banchi di Sopra 22, 25 and via camporeggio 3
Enoteca Italiana – Piazza Matteotti, 30 (noon or 4pm-midnight, Sundays till 8pm)
L'Osteria - Via dei Rossi, 79/81
Osteria La Chiacchera - Costa di Saint'Antonio, 4
* Dolceforte , via Calzoeria 12, open 10am – 11pm 0577 282526 http://www.dolcefortesiena.it
Gallo Nero - Via del Porrione, 65/67
antica trattoria laquila- Casato di Sotto 58, Phone: 0577.283061
Il Carroccio – via del Casatodi Sotto 32 tue eve & wed (Slow food) 0577 4 11 65
Antico osteria da vivo – via Franciosa 29 (slightly expensive, background jazz & etruscan tombs downstairs)
Osteria Castelvecchio, via Castel Vecchio 65 (includes veggie options & good soups) tue
Osteria boccon del prete – via san pietro 17 (small hectic but with seats downstairs & lighter food)
Al Marsili, via del castoro 3 (elegant) mon
Taverna di Cecco, via cecco Angioleri 19 (inc. Truffles & mushrooms) sun
Ristorant Mugolone, via dei Pellegrini 8 thu sun pm
Osteria le Logge – via dei Porrone 33 mon-sat (big wine collection, but skip the pasta)
Enoteca San Domenico, via Piangiani 9 sat pm sun
Tullio ai tre cristi, vicolo di Provenzano 1/7 (old place) wed
Grotta di santa caterina da bagoga - Via della Galluzza, 26
Tel. 0577 282208 (Slow Food) sun eve & mon
Antica Pizzicheria Chugiana(?) / di Miccoli – via di Citta 93-95 (meat cheese etc.)
Antica drogheria Mangandi, via di Citta 71/73 (not cheap but fine selection sun
Fattoria Belsedere, via Camollia 29 (pecorino, salumi etc.) sun eve
La Compagnia dei Vinattieri – via delle Terme 79 / ang. Via dei Pittori 1 (Enoteca with food)
Consorzio Agrario di Siena – via Pianigiani 9 (local food co-op) sat pm sun
Nannini – via Banchi di Sopra 24 (cafe/aperitivo / desserts)
Forno dei Galli, via dei Termini (via di Pontani underpass – bakery +)
Pasticceria Bini – via Stalloreggi 91/93 (cakes /biscuits + vin santo etc.)
Pasticceria Le Campane – via caduto di Vicolbello 37/39
Torrefazione Caffeteria Fiorella – via di Citta 13

These notes from 2010, so there will be a little change, though change is often slow in Italy

Regards
Ian

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

p.s. apologies that the strikethroughs get lost in copy paste. Where 1-2 days are listed, it will be the *closing days, but e.g. wed-mon will be the opening days.

* the exception being the markets. They are only running a single day a week, invariably morning only or at best in the morning.

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Ian S wrote:Hi Dave

Montepulciano is the archetypal hilltop town... so your calves will be tested by the moderately short, but rather steep slopes. One of the rare places where tasting rooms / cellar doors operate like in Australia. Whilst drop-in is the norm, worth booking one or two visits as the hospitality is that much better when you do so....
Fantastic, thanks Ian. Appreciate you going to the effort of posting this.

Dave

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

No problem at all Dave. Hope you have a great trip.