Melbourne Tips

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
maybs

Melbourne Tips

Post by maybs »

Hey all

Am hoping for a bit of inside info on a trip to Melbourne this weekend (sadly not for the Grand Final).

Am staying out on the Dandenong Ranges. Have a day trip to Mornington planned for a few wineries and lunch at Ten Minutes By Tractor on Saturday. What I am really interested in is whether anyone can give me some tips on places to have lunch and pick up some food supplies, preferably of the gourmet variety, on the way from Melbourne Airport to Upper Beaconsfield.

I was looking at Caribbean Markets but it looks a bit tired, dated and dodgy. That being said, seems to have a lot of food stuff. Alternatively thinking of just biting the bullet and heading in to the City and hitting Queen Victoria Markets. Have about 4 or so hours to kill between landing and when I can check in to my accommodation anyway.

But if there are any cool little delis, grocers whatever on the way that I should be going to instead, would love to hear about it!!
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

paulf

Re: Melbourne Tips

Post by paulf »

There are a bunch of other market alternatives if you don't want to go to the Queen Vic market.
There is South Melbourne Market and Prahran market. There is also Dandenong Market which I haven't been to since I was a teenager so I can't comment on. The last time I went to Caribbean Markets I was probably still in single figures so I can't comment there either
There has been some fairly new places open at Prahan market for eating and there is a lot in that area anyway. There is an Essential Ingredient store there and you also arent' too far from Tivoli rd Bakery in South Yarra.
Also you could have a look at the Leo's or Thomas Dux supermarkets that are in your path. There are a few around and they tend to have a lot of stuff you won't normally find at your standard Woolies.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

+1 for Leo's if you want to save time and skip the markets. It's only a tiny detour on your trip too - https://goo.gl/maps/XjDdZ4xhNBG2 - and very easy parking.

via collins

Post by via collins »

Thought I'd best check a map to be sure, but my favourite food and wine vendor in Melbourne is only a short detour from the recommended journey. Hours and hours of wine/cheese/all kinds of small-goods experience guaranteed here: http://www.boccaccio.com.au/

cheers,

mjs

Post by mjs »

Queen Vic market would be good, meat, seafood, fruit and veg, dairy, poultry, breads, other gourmet stuff. Parking is not great though. Other markets wouldn't necessarily be much different/better.

As a Leo's customer in Kew, I can second paulf and Ozzie's tip for Leo's and Hartwell is probably en route. Its a good quality supermarket with lots of high quality stuff. However, possibly now overtaken by Boccaccio in Balwyn if you have time to detour there. Best cheese dept in Melb full stop (they stole Leo's cheesemongers), great deli and other continental stuff, good bottle shop as well. Also our local, so I can't complain.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

mjs

Post by mjs »

haha ... via collins beat me to it re Boccaccio's
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

If you are around mornington, merricks general store is a good place to go.

paulf

Post by paulf »

Rossco wrote:If you are around mornington, merricks general store is a good place to go.
And if you get to Moorooduc Estate on Saturday you can pick up some of Richard McIntyre's Sourdough bread.

maybs

Post by maybs »

Awesome stuff, some almost unanimous tips so that makes life easy, and pretty much on the way. Thanks guys!
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.