Sparkling Shiraz

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Christo

Sparkling Shiraz

Post by Christo »

Hi all,

recently tried a bottle of Rockford Black Shiraz sparkling. I never have tried anything like this before...it was amazing!!

As i'm new to the wide world of sparkling reds, can you offer any suggestions of other quality sparkling reds? Australian if possible.

Kind regards

:)

Chow Chow

Post by Chow Chow »

I love the Leasingham Classic Clare Sparkling 1994.
Purple Tongue

Grant Dodd

Post by Grant Dodd »

Seppelt Show Sparkling Shiraz 1994- outstanding juice $55

Christo

Post by Christo »

Thanks for the replies,

if only i can get on the Stonwall mailing list at Rockford!!

i forgot to mention can you post estimated costs as well, to see if they are within my price range.

Thanks again in advance.

Adair

Post by Adair »

The "elite" list is probably smaller than most other styles:

1) Rockford Basket Press
2) Primo Estate
3) Seppelts Show Reserve (avoid 1991 and 1993 due to brett)
... these are the 3 traditional "Big Boys" in this market.

Based on my tastings, I believe the:
4) Leasingham Classic Clare to be a worthy contender.

5) Seppelts Original is an amazingly complex and ageworthy wine for its price. Get the 1998 if possible but I think 1999 is the best you can do.

6) Peter Rumball has been around for a while and can also make quite amazing offerings but make sure you get one of the good disgorgements. If you are thinking of buying this, it might be worth checking Attila's notes.

These are the main ones that you should turn for enjoyment and to learn about the style, but there is a growing number of newer entrants into this market such as Balnaves, Fox Creek (not that new), plus many, many, many more that are making very good examples.

Also, there are some that use Cabernet and Merlot instead of Shiraz. The Hollicks Sparkling Merlot is excellent and I would like to try the Irvine Sparkling Merlot as well, but have yet to.

My 3 cents,
Adair

radioactiveman

Post by radioactiveman »

Barossa Valley Estate E&E Sparkling shiraz '98/'99. Still available at most wine shops and around $45-50/bottle, maybe less. This would keep you busy while waiting to get on the Rockfords waiting list. Or an aged release Seppelts would do the job also.

Cheers

Jamie

Adair

Post by Adair »

Estimated costs:

Rockford Basket Press: $55 - $70
Primo Estate: $40 - $55
Seppelts Show Reserve: $40 - $55
Leasingham Classic Clare: $30 - $40
Seppelts Original: $13 - $18
Peter Rumball: $17 - $22

Adair

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Christo,

Here are some of my favourites...

Seppelt Original Sp Shiraz 2002 - $12 - $15
Bleasdale Sp Shiraz NV $13 - $17
Leasingham Classic Clare Sp Shiraz 95 (94 sold out) $38-$42
Yalumba Black D 98 Cab-Shiraz (cheaper places sold out, 99 is out I haven't tried it yet) $22 - $28
Primo Estate Joseph Sparkling Red NV $40 - $45
E&E Sp Shiraz 98 (nearly sold out, 99 has been out a while, it's not as good as the 98 ) $40 - $48
Seppelt Show Sp Shiraz 94 $45 -$55
Majella Sp Shiraz (didn't like the 2001, haven't tried the 2002) $30
Buller RLB NV $40+, mix of 72, 91 and 92 vintage Bullers reds
and of course Rockford Black NV :-)
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Adair

Post by Adair »

Red Bigot wrote:Buller RLB NV $40+, mix of 72, 91 and 92 vintage Bullers reds

Oh yes, that Buller Sparkling needs to be tasted by every Sparkling Shiraz lover. The wine is a cracker. Big, ripe, complex and rich with bubbles. Not much elegance though.

After tasting this wine amongst friends, Attila commenst and I wrote:R.L.BULLER & SON Family Reserve-Reginald Langdon Buller Sparkling Shiraz Cabernet: 1968 reserve 40%,1972 Reserve 15%,1996 Reserve 45%. 15.5%vol.:

“The first two wines were like James Bond; this is more like Arnold Schwarzenegger, or even worse, Sylvester Stallone.” – Attilla

“This is my first sparkling Port. Ric, I thank you.” – Attila

“Ric, you know the Italian word Primitivo; that is what I expect from your Pinots!” – Attila

Very funny night!

Adair

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

Rare as the proverbial and usually released every 3-4 years only in minute quantities is the fabulous and decadent:

NV Wild Duck Creek Estate Sparkling Duck 2
TN from July 2004 posted on Auswine
93, 94, 95, 97 Shiraz, 96 Merlot – Disgorged 2000. I always remember Parker in his Wine Buyer’s Guide proclaiming this wine to be “over the top…bizarre…for me undrinkable[!]”. Took me 10 minutes to get the massive cork out! Dark to mid red colour – lovely with scintillating clarity. Nose is chock-block full of red peppers, sweet berries, ripe plums. Little hint of 14.6% alcohol. Excellent bouquet. On the palate, really good balance. Initially some “hardness” but attenuated further with time. Excellent length with heightened richness along the whole way. Sweet start with textbook dry finish. Impeccable structure and balance with no hint of oak or alcohol. Needs 3+ years at least. Big yes, but a rich and beautiful wine with abundant dry and chalky tannins on the finish. I last tasted this wine on release in 2001 and it was almost porty. Now it’s a near gem (the beast has been tamed) and would love to put it up against a Rockford Black Shiraz or Primo Estate Joseph. Much, much better than I expected. Now, how do I get some more (winemaker Dave Anderson has a really haphazard way of allocating this infrequently made wine – get it one time, miss out the next!!)
Excellent 18.0 / 20

I would also add that Barnadown Run make a pretty good sparkling shiraz too for $25.
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Christo

Post by Christo »

Baby Chickpea wrote:Rare as the proverbial and usually released every 3-4 years only in minute quantities is the fabulous and decadent:

NV Wild Duck Creek Estate Sparkling Duck 2
Excellent 18.0 / 20

Thanks,
i tried to get some this year but when i spoke to Dave Anderson he told me that none was made this year!! I'll have to wait for next years allocation. In the mean time.... hunting down the list of sparklers provided on previous posts, will keep me busy. I can imagine a chilled red sparkler during the upcoming summer/BBQ season!!

Cheers

Chow Chow

Post by Chow Chow »

Christo, Best pairing for a Red Sparkling is a Yuletide Roast Turkey + Cranberry sauce.
Purple Tongue

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

I second your sentiments re the Xmas fare.
Mike.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

The Peter Lehmann "Black Queen", (1996 current release - $38 ) is always a favourite at our house.
Unfortunately, it is only available at cellar door.

AJ

Davo

Post by Davo »

Some of my Faves:-

CD only:-

Lehman Black Queen
Peel Estate Baroque
Becketts Flat

A bit Exy(but very good):-
Rockford
Seppelt Show
Leasingham

Not so Exy:-
Seppelt Original
Morris Shiraz/Durif

Christo

Post by Christo »

What about the Wilson Hippocrene '96? has anyone tried this sparkler & would they recommend it?

Christo

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

Charlie Melton makes an underrated and very hard to get sparkling red also. He reckons they need about 10 years cellaring to strut their stuff.

-- George Krashos

Billy Bolonski

Post by Billy Bolonski »

Christo

I have had the Hippocrene a few times recently.

Not recommended I'm afraid.

It was almost orange in colour, savoury, lacking fruit and body. The bubbles disappeared immediately after a big faomy start.

There are much better examples around. See above.

Also for me;

De Bortoli Emri Sparkling Durif @ under $10
Mount Prior Shiraz Durif
Passing Clouds - Can be inconsistant.
St Hallet 'The Balck'
Philosophy, I'm in it for the money.

Post by Guest »

Avoid Hippocrene, very uninspiring.

Go straight to Yalumba Black D, it's always a big hit whenever I pull one out, and a bargain too at $25.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I agree with AJ re the Black Queen and have had several bottles with him.

The Seppelts (please note Adair's warning !) and Rockford sparklers are IMO without peer, but others worthy of consideration would include the 94 Leasingham (95 not in the same league) and even the St Hallets (NV from memory).

Mike

wineguy

Post by wineguy »

Go straight to Yalumba Black D, it's always a big hit whenever I pull one out, and a bargain too at $25

gotta agree, I really like this wine.

And Christo I have a good friend who works in the cellar door at Rockfords, good luck getting on the stonewall list. But if you're nice to me... :wink:
"Life's too short to drink bad wine."

Christo

Post by Christo »

wineguy wrote:And Christo I have a good friend who works in the cellar door at Rockfords, good luck getting on the stonewall list. But if you're nice to me... :wink:

Now that is dangling the carrot... not fair!! But on another note... you wanna get together for drinks?! :wink: