Mount Mary & mailer theme

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
PAS

Mount Mary & mailer theme

Post by PAS »

Curious of the forums thoughts on the following-

I've noticed a continuous theme in the Mt Mary mailer over the years (which I kind of get bored with reading) & following are a couple quotes from the current mailer-

'judging from those wines that are being sold these days with their excessively high alcohols and high levels of extraction producing high tannin levels, it is obvious that too many winemakers are having real trouble with knowing what a good wine should be like'

'the medical profession has the ancient dictum of "primo non nocere" as a guide to good practice. Translated it is simply, 'firstly do no harm'. Maybe some winemakers would benefit by adopting it for their winemaking and the wine writers too for recommending today's blockbusters as great wines'.

It appears the good doctor is saying;
-too many winemakers are having real trouble with knowing what a good wine should be like,
-blockbusters are not great wines.

And and on the other hand, it appears Parker is saying Australia should stick with what it does best and not try to compete with the French.

I enjoy certain blockbusters & I don't buy Mt Mary because of the mailer prices.

So what is a good wine ?
Which blockbusters are no good ?

GraemeG

Re: Mount Mary & mailer theme

Post by GraemeG »

PAS wrote:
So what is a good wine ?
Which blockbusters are no good ?

Well, I may know a lot about wine, but I don't know what I like... er, hang on, that's not right.

One thing I'm fairly sure of, and that is that Dr Middleton thinks Robert Parker wouldn't know a good wine if it kicked him up the coit...

cheers,
Graeme

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Dr Middleton thinks Robert Parker wouldn't know a good wine if it kicked him up the coit...

I think the good doctor would be highly amused by that....

regards
Chris

Cellar Rat

Post by Cellar Rat »

ChrisH wrote:
Dr Middleton thinks Robert Parker wouldn't know a good wine if it kicked him up the coit...

I think the good doctor would be highly amused by that....

regards
Chris

Chris,

Nahh, the good doctor's mailing list customers are always amused by the good doctor's annual rant. Good stuff. When he finally passes on, we'll be sorry that we don't get his yearly rant, even though we complain about it every year !
Cheers,

CR

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

The Mount Mary mailers do always make for interesting reading - to say the least.

Not sure I always agree with everything he says and not sure I even always follow the logic as it is a bit of a ramble but it's always interesting!

Compared to Grange or HOG, the Cabernet's pretty good value, if you rate it up there with them. Only went a six pack this year though. I'm trying the less is more approach from now on.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)