TN: 1983 Lindemans Bin 6603 (Burgundy)

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Scoobinski

TN: 1983 Lindemans Bin 6603 (Burgundy)

Post by Scoobinski »

With permission to raid my parents cellar, I found a bottle of the 1983 Lindemans 6603 (Burgundy) with a barely legible, tatty label, and promptly decided to challenge my skepticism of Lindemans Pinots.

Put simply, the wine was a HUGE surprise. Light bodied with a tight lively acid structure, good concentration of delicate berry fruit, leather, spice and cloves. Well integrated with balanced soft, velvety tannins providing structure and enhancing a savoury finish of good length.

Seems to be at its peak, but is likely to hold for several years to come.
For $40-$50 @ auction, seems like a bargain.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Its a shiraz.
GW

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Oh and the Bin 6600 (00=Reserve) would be 40-50 at Auction the Bin 6603 (03=Standard bottling) would be worth a fair bit less. An even bigger bargain.

GW

michel

Post by michel »

Gary W wrote:Oh and the Bin 6600 (00=Reserve) would be 40-50 at Auction the Bin 6603 (03=Standard bottling) would be worth a fair bit less. An even bigger bargain.

GW

Is it true the 6601 would be better than 6600 as it would be Show Reserve stock?
thanks
michel
International Chambertin Day 16th May

Post by Guest »

michel wrote:
Gary W wrote:Oh and the Bin 6600 (00=Reserve) would be 40-50 at Auction the Bin 6603 (03=Standard bottling) would be worth a fair bit less. An even bigger bargain.

GW

Is it true the 6601 would be better than 6600 as it would be Show Reserve stock?
thanks
michel

6610 - the 6601 was more popular with dyslexics.
GW

Scoobinski

Post by Scoobinski »

Apologies for my ignorance.... automatically assumed Pinot when I read the Burgundy on the label (Shiraz must've been part of the label that had been torn off). The lighter weight was also deceptive!

If anyone could explain the use of Burgundy on the label it would be appreciated.

I believe the 6603 sold for $46 at langtons earlier this year.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Standard practice was to label Australian wines with generic names (in an attempt to signify the style of the wine within) even into the 1990s - Grange bore the name 'Hermitage' until the 89 vintage (released in '94).

If Lindemans had expected their shiraz to be a light, austere wine they'd have called it 'Claret'. Whereas 'Burgundy' means a warm, lush, full-bodied wine, in accordance with the Burgundy wines of France in the middle of last century - which had no doubt been liberally dosed with Rhone syrah or grenache to compensate for their frequent weediness.

Kind of makes you wonder whether the Hunter-istes were being ironic to put 'Burgundy' on their shiraz...!

cheers,
Graeme

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

To be fair this wine tastes rather a lot like a Pinot in its old age. I suspect the person buying at Langtons/Auction thought they were buying the 6600...as they did not know there were multiple releases. No shiraz to be found on the label.

GW

sanjay

Post by sanjay »

michel wrote:

GW

thanks
michel

I haven't come accross a bottling of the show reserve (6610) from that vintage although there are lots of reserve wines around (6600).

Gary have you seen or tasted a 6610?

sanjay

Post by Guest »

I don't believe any 6610 was made.
GW

Peggy Babcock

Post by Peggy Babcock »

Is this the famous black-stained bottle wine???