Your pick of Australia's Best...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TiggerK

Your pick of Australia's Best...

Post by TiggerK »

Hey all, so following on from the other thread, but not wanting to hijack it..

What do you vote for your favourite Australian Shiraz, Cabernet, Pinot, Chardonnay, Semillon, Other Varietal Red, Riesling etc etc????

Gotta rush out now but keen to see some thoughts.

michel

Re: Your pick of Australia's Best...

Post by michel »

Chardonnay
Tarrawarra Reserve
the chard is excellent at 8-10 years of age

Shiraz
Castagna Genesis

Pinot
D'meure were very good
International Chambertin Day 16th May

Redav

Post by Redav »

I've only had three bottles between these two but the best Shiraz I've had would be either Rockford's Basket Press Shiraz or Henschke's Mt Edelstone Shiraz - both beautiful. I have some 2009 Tyrrell's 4 Acres Shiraz which up to this point had been the nicest I'd had but I won't open another until it hits the 10 year mark so I'm keen on seeing how it has travelled.

I don't know if I can call it the best but my favourite Cab Sauv so far has been Rockford's Rifle Range.

I'll be watching this thread closely!

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

off the top of my head.
shiraz : 99 GC ap block
96 Rockford SVS Moorooroo Shiraz (still resonating with me from the offline)

cab : 96 wynns BL

chard : 06 LE or 05 Grosset Picadilly.

Rizza : too many to choose from. lets say anything by KT from Clare Valley.

semillon : not enough experience here. no comment.

pinot : freycinet.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

TiggerK wrote:Hey all, so following on from the other thread, but not wanting to hijack it..

What do you vote for your favourite Australian Shiraz, Cabernet, Pinot, Chardonnay, Semillon, Other Varietal Red, Riesling etc etc????

Gotta rush out now but keen to see some thoughts.

AU Shiraz: For me, I like Tyrrells 4 Acres...As anobjective type of pick (if that is even possible). Hard to look past Grange and HoG...Proven long term track record...they're great wines every year and will definitely age....but favorite, definitely Tyrrells private bins

AU Cab: so hard to pick...Lakes or Riddoch probably...

AU Pinot: Bass or Lethbridge

AU Chardonnay: Giaconda in leaner years. Lethbridge

AU Semillon: Vat 1 by a mile when it has proper age. Young: Thomas Braemore

AU Riesling: Pikes Merle...but so many right up there with it (probably 20 or 30 others)

AU Savagnin: Passionvale

AU Rose: Passionvale

Willard

Post by Willard »

I am likely not qualified to answer this question entirely as I have not tried all the likely contenders, over a large enough vintage spread, in each variety field. Riesling, Semillon I feel good on, Cabernet not too bad. Others not so good. But I will proceed on blindly regardless.

Shiraz - Hopefully some Tyrrell's and Mt Pleasant wines that I have in the cellar for much later....

Cabernet - Jack Mann or Cullen DM. Have never tried Woodlands' top Cabernet or Mt Mary Quintet.

Pinot Noir - The best Aus Pinot I have tried was a Main Ridge Estate Half Acre at 10-yrs from vintage. The latest producer that has really caught my attention is Mac Forbes, I love the delicate style. I haven't tasted widely enough to make any judgement on the best in Aus.

Chardonnay - For me Holyman. Oakridge Funder and Diamond. 07 LEAS. I haven't tried enough of wines like Giaconda, Pierro, Cullen, Mt Mary et al to judge this fairly.

Riesling - Crawford River Reserve. Not close.

Semillon - Vat 1. Not close.

Nebbiolo - Pannell or Luke Lambert in different styles. I'm keen to hear other answers on this one.

Will
Last edited by Willard on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wills.wines

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Polymer wrote:AU Savagnin: Passionvale

LOL, yes I agree, albeit from a limited sample size!

Having posed the question, I'm struggling with an answer... I wasn't thinking a specific vintage of a wine, just the labels that you consider the best example of each varietal.

Shiraz... I would love to say Tyrrell's 4 Acres but this based on others opinions and my two small tasting-size pours of 07 and 14, both of which were excellent, although hardly enough to give me a definitive grasp of the wine. Seppelt Great Western was great, but that's a was. OK, I'll say Castagna Genesis as I've had a few and enjoyed each one a lot. Plus a recent tasting with Julian, the winemaker was a highlight of Rootstock, good stuff, balanced, not overblown.

Cabernet - Wynns John Riddoch. But needs 20 years Minimum Age.

Pinot - Bass Philip Premium. I'm sure Reserve is great too, but not tried much, and the Premium always impresses for it's more deft touch.

Alternate Red - Not sure if it's still made? Hewitson Old Garden Mourvedre. Or Luke Lambert Nebbiolo.

Chardonnay - Real struggle here. Giaconda I reckon. Some of the Penfolds stuff can be very good, as is Lethbridge and also Tyrrell's Vat 47/Lakes Folly with some age.

Semillon - Hard to go past Vat 1.

Riesling - Crawford River for me. Reserve or Estate, both great.

Sparkling - Very few do much for me, but Arras E.J.Carr LD has been stellar a few times, and so it should for the price.

Fortifieds are one thing Oz does particularly world class. Merchant Prince, or how about the 100 year old Para from Seppelt... OMG, the 1888 was universe class.

Cheers
TiggerK

(I'm sure I've forgotten some worthy contenders)

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Shiraz
Not a huge shiraz drinker but the Saltram No. 1 from the early 2000s and the St Henri from the early 90s were memorable

Cabernet: Woodlands Flagship Cab Sauv by daylight. (Sorry Coonawarra fans)

Chardonnay: Vasse Felix does a great chardonnay. Never seems to miss year in year out.

Riesling: Cherubino Porongurup or Helm

Pinot: The Bass Philip Premium tasted at the last Langton tasting in 2014? was faultless.

dingozegan

Post by dingozegan »

Hard to pick only one/a few, but off the top of my head these come to mind as favourites:

Shiraz: Fairbank Syrah (under Lapalus), Brokenwood Graveyard, Tyrrell's private bins

Cabernet Sauvignon (and blends): Lakes Folly, Parker Terra Rossa, Cullen Diana Madeline, Lindemans Limestone Ridge (pre-late 90's), Patina (standard), Highland Heritage

Pinot Noir: Bannockburn (under Farr), Bass Phillip Premium, De Salis Lofty, Patina

Nebbiolo: Luke Lambert

Chardonnay: Bannockburn SRH, Lethbridge, Cullen Kevin John, Leeuwin Art Series, Canobolas Smith Shine

Semillon: Tyrrell's Vat 1, Mount Pleasant Lovedale, Chateau Francois

Riesling (dry): Pewsey Value Contours, Petaluma Hanlin Hill, Tim Adams, Knappstein, Jacob's Creek Steingarten, Mount Horrocks, Frankland Estate, Richmond Grove...

But I'm sure I've forgotten to mention other favourites of mine.

Polymer wrote:AU Savagnin: Passionvale

:)

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Shiraz: clonakilla s.v , mount ed , hutton vale

Cabernet: moss wood, black label

Chardonnay: leeuwin A.s , yattarna

Pinot: by farr

Riesling: mount horrocks

Viognier: yalumba

Sémillon: vat 1

maybs

Post by maybs »

Tough. I'd say

Shiraz - hard to go past Grange. Track record, quality etc. For less lofty heights I'd say the Hunter stuff like Graveyard, Tyrrells Private Bin. I also think Bests over deliver at each price point they make shiraz in.

Cabernet - Moss Wood. Lakes Folly.

Pinot Noir - Bass Phillip Premium. Lots in the next level down including Lethbridge, Freycinet, By Farr, Pooley, Mayer.

Pinot Meunier - Bests, Murdoch Hill.

Rose - haven't tasted the Passionvale :) new and only tried one vintage but I'd say Schmolzer and Brown.

Chardonnay - Giaconda, though there are plenty knocking on the door including LEAS, Vasse Felix Heytesbury, Vat 47, Savaterre...I think lack of track record and consistency may rule out a few others I'm thinking.

Riesling - how many do you want? Grossest Springvale and Pewsey Contours are a few personal favourites, but the stuff coming out of Porongorup is serious.

Semillon - Vat 1 and Lovedale. Mic drop.

It's a pretty good list of wines and plenty of others could be on there. Life could be worse.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

I've been thinking how to answer this question. There are wines that I've only ever had once or twice that left a lasting impression. Some of these I may not like as much right now, as my palate has changed. On the other hand, there are wines I've had many times from many different vintages that consistently impressed over the years. I'll vote for my favourites based on the latter.

Bordeaux Blend - Mount Mary Quintet
Cabernet - Wynns John Riddoch, Black Label*
Champagne - Arras
Gamay - Sorrenberg
Grenache - Head
Merlot - James Irvine
Nebbiolo - Luke Lambert
Pinot Meunier - Bests Old Vine
Pinot Noir - Can't decide as there's too many :? . By Farr, Chatto, Hoddles Creek, Gembrook Hill, Mac Forbes, Moorooduc Estate
Rose - Mac Forbes
Sangiovese - Pizzini, Coriole
Shiraz - Bests Thomson, Bin 0
Shiraz Viognier - Clonakilla
Sparkling Shiraz - Seppelt Show Reserve
Tempranillo - Mayford
Vintage Port - Seppeltsfield Para
Whites - no favourites as I still don't appreciate these styles of wine

* I wanted to pick a wine from Margaret River, but for some reason the ones from Wynns have left more of a lasting impression. I'm smiling at you, mjs! :)

maybs

Post by maybs »

Yes to the Sorrenberg gamay. If only there were a few more to compete with it!

Forgot sparklings.

Sparkling - Arras EJ Carr, Freycinet Radenti, Jansz vintage BdB

Sparkling Red - Joseph Primo.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

VINH NGUYEN

Post by VINH NGUYEN »

Dont drink much whites, but the following are some of the most memorable wines, ive been lucky enough to try

Right off the bat 82 JR, prob equal best wine ive ever tried. 2010 astralis, love me astralis! The 04 n 12 were great as well. 2006 HOG, what can you say about HOG, if it wasnt so expensive ild buy it by the buckleload haha
And one that really surprised me was the 1990 armagh, bought as a speccie by my mate and had no expectations but boy, it was a rare clare shiraz that i loved. Rounding out the top 5 would prob be 03 runrig, but im splitting hairs now as i love 03 04 06 09 equally
Honorable mentions to any standish and hentley farm the beast. I love aussie wine :D

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder »

Farr always impresses me from pinots to chards to Viognier
Yet to try the Shiraz but heard good things
You do pay the price however

Petaluma and Leo burning Rieslings always seem to impress tremendously and great VFM, really need some decent cellar time though.

Castagna genesis is a seriously good drop and a great example of how well we can make a cool climate Shiraz in this country.
Likewise with clonakilla murrumbateman Syrah. I prefer it to the Shiraz Viognier, as much as I love the SV.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

What's up you lot!!
No love in the room for Wendouree??

I will have a think and see if I can come up with a case.
Enjoying a another year today with a few Heineken and some ice cold Tanqueray on a lazy 42.5 degree day in Adelaide.
Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Thanks for the input but the observations have gone a little off piste. People are talking about the best vintages of wines, the best ever wines etc and the multiple wines are confusing. I am hoping to bring it back to the "this is the best Shiraz produced in Australia" argument. I will start a new thread. Apologies for the pedantry.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Did you read the OP?

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Not off piste at all, exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread, people discussing their opinions on the best varietal wines Australia makes. Keep it coming people!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

TiggerK wrote:Not off piste at all, exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread, people discussing their opinions on the best varietal wines Australia makes. Keep it coming people!

+1 TiggerK
In the case of Wendouree, I could put it down for:
Right up there for shiraz
Close to best for Cabernet Malbec
Close to best for Shiraz Malbec
Number one for Shiraz Mataro

Then I think of the wonderful blends from Yarra Yering...nothing else around like numbers 1, 2 and 3.
Bordeaux styles yes Quintets probably in a class of its own, but Sally's Paddock is a lovely wine.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

TiggerK wrote:What do you vote for your favourite Australian Shiraz, Cabernet, Pinot, Chardonnay, Semillon, Other Varietal Red, Riesling etc etc????

The original post asks for a favourite, not the best.

Although the responses may not be "off piste" it has been a bit like a slalom in that it appears wandering. My definition of a favourite is not a single vintage of a wine. A favorite implies reasonably regular purchasing and drinking. So, to give an example, the Wynn's Black Label Cabernet can be a favourite cabernet but not just the 1996 Wynn's Black Label. Neither is a one-off classic like a 1982 Bin 820. In that regard I understand what Michael means.

I do not have a favourite because I tend to buy broadly and normally don't build verticals. When I shop I continually look for something different. Just yesterday I went shopping with a friend of mine and though we found a reputable Boujolais from a fine vintage and what looked like a good Chianti Reserva, I have plenty of both, so instead I opted for wines I've never had before, a Romanian red made from the Fetească Neagră grape and a Georgian white made from Rkatsiteli grapes.

When I spent some time in Australia the one wine I can honestly say was a favourite, and purchased regularly, was the Mount Pleasant 'Elizabeth' Semillon. Oh, and Tahbilk's Dalfarras line of Sangiovese/Cabernet for midweek drinking. The Vintage Cellars people at the local suburban store told me that I was probably the only one buying that wine. Of course neither are available here in Edmonton.

Mahmoud.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Yes Elizabeth Semillon rarely seen here, though bizarrely when it is, it can get discounted low. IIRC some of the 1994 vintage was selling at less than a fiver a bottle (but in a chain that is solely 'up north'). Given a chance I would have been wobbling out with at least a case.