Charles Melton 02 Tasting In Sydney

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Brucer

Charles Melton 02 Tasting In Sydney

Post by Brucer »

Went along to the Charlie Melton 02 Release Tasting at Sails on Lavender Bay at McMahons Point last night.

Upon arrival were given a glass of 04 Rose Of Virginia Rose.
I dont drink Rose, and found it to be far too sweet.

First flight was Charlies 02 Nine Popes, and it was tasted alongside 01 Guigal Gigondas from Rhone. Both are Shiraz Grenache blends, with some added Cab in the Melton.
The Guigal was typical of Froggy wine, whilst the Nine Popes had a good whack of tannins, good length and sweeter than the Guigal.
Neither were my style of wine.

The second flight was Charlies 02 Shiraz compared to a South African Shiraz.....01 Charles Back Beacon Shiraz. These 2 were the wines of the night, with Charlies Shiraz, probably the best Shiraz I have seen from him. Great sweet fruit intensity, bit of spice, nice accidity and good cedar oak. I will be buying this. The South African wine was very good also. Everything in balance, and really could have been an Oz wine.

The third flight was Charlies 02 Cab along with 00 Robert Mondavi Napa Valley Cab. Charlies was the clear winner, with good fruit and length, but just a bit leafy, which could be seen as green, but that point was well debated. The Robert Mondavi was over oaked, and not very appealing at all.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I thought 9Popes would be a cracker this year!

Wisely, if I were to present my wines against the Rhone, Guigal a good choice as usually a bland, ho-hum expression of an appellation. Good wine, just not any Rhone genius at that level of Guigal entry point.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Was the 2002 CM Grenache on tasting?

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Good to see a return to form from charlie. Brucer do you think the 02 Charlie Melton Shiraz is one that will benefit from time in the cellar?

cheers
anthony
Good wine ruins the purse; bad wine ruins the stomach
Spanish saying