A question for Attila

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Davo

A question for Attila

Post by Davo »

Attila,

I have a couple of bottles of Royal Tokaji 1996 'Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos" that are asking me to drink them.

How much longer should I try to keep them at bay.

Thanks in advance

Attila

Post by Attila »

Hi Davo,

The above mentioned wine is from a lesser vintage. Everyone harvested under difficult circumstances in 1996 but the best winemakers came up with top wines.
The Royal Tokaji should be good but you need to watch the colour. If they are still bright golden, then you won't get full flavour spectrum. Should the wine now be amber or dark brown, then you'll be in for a treat!
A decent 5 Puttonyos is best drunk after 10 years of age but should cellar for 20 years easy.
Is this a red or blue label bottling, or is it a single vineyard like Szt. Tamas?

Should you open one now anyway, it needs 4 hours of breathing and the wine should only be cool, NOT chilled.
Enjoy and let us know.
Cheers,
Attila

PaulSheldon

Post by PaulSheldon »

Davo must be preparing one for the upcoming offline :D
Paul

Davo

Post by Davo »

Attila,

The label is beige with a dark blue border. The colour of the wine, through the bottle id gold to amber. The bottle wears a gold medal from the International Wine and Spirit Competition 2001, for what that is worth.

Paul, You wish :lol: