TN: Seppelt Victorian Premium Reserve Shiraz 2002

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
markg

TN: Seppelt Victorian Premium Reserve Shiraz 2002

Post by markg »

Feeling a bit down on the weekend I did the equivilent of a bit of retail therapy in the newly opened Dan Murphys here in Adelaide, armed with a list of wines to try based on the various suggestions from this forum and supplemented with a list from the latest 2005 Jeremy Oliver book (his best value for under $20 list) I wandered around the aisles filling up my trolley, what Great fun :-) - Anyway, enough of the preample, out of the wines I have tried so far from the list I had, this would have to be the best value for money in a long while.

A dark, opaque purple color with a rich nose of fine grained milk chocolate, some coffee, plum and raisins. A plush, somewhat elegant palate of soft, subdued milk chocolate, plum and raisins with wonderful savoury layers of truffle, pencil shavings and coffee bean. Very yumm !

My tastes generally tend to gravitate towards the big, chocolately barossa shiraz, but every now and then my tastebuds vote unanimously for a cooler climate, Victorian wine and this one is just great !

Score: 93/100
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

sanjay

Post by sanjay »

Hi,

Then you are going to like the Seppelt St Peters 2002 even more. Just tasted it last night at Prince Wine store - at the Clonikilla/Seppelt/ Cote Rotie/Hermitage tasting.

sanjay

markg

Post by markg »

sanjay wrote:Hi,

Then you are going to like the Seppelt St Peters 2002 even more. Just tasted it last night at Prince Wine store - at the Clonikilla/Seppelt/ Cote Rotie/Hermitage tasting.

sanjay

I tried the 2001 Chalambar last night (notes still to be typed up) and liked it AS much as this one, however what clinched it for me was the fact that I picked up 4 dozen of these puppys for $11.90 per bottle !

I will try the St Peters shortly I hope !
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Its hard to beat any of the Vic reserve/ Chalambar/ St Peters line in the quality for $$$$ stakes. The Chalambar probably wins out but all are awesome wines...lucky the yanks dont like our Victorian/cool ckimate shiraz!!!!

Cheers

Paul
"You have only so many bottles in your life, never drink a bad one"

---Len Evans

MatthewW

Post by MatthewW »

If you like that style of wine, would also recommend the 2000 Bin End Trevor Mast Victorian shiraz currently be flogged by First Estate for $8.50 per bot. by the doz.

Matthew

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

I've tried that Bin Ends - I've never seen a wine throw off so much sediment. Flavour was good - Rhoney style. Just a good quaffer.

Kieran

Post by Guest »

As is the Seppelt Victorian Premium