Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
JamieBahrain

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by JamieBahrain »

Bobthebuilder wrote:Image

2005 Elio Altare Barbera D'alba - although clear signs of a cooking somewhere in its life it did not smell or taste of that. Unfortunately it was considerably corked with TCA very apparent on the palate and finish, but surprisingly not on the nose, as far as I could pick.

2007 Mauro Veglio Barolo - having bought this at the same auction (both with provenance guaranteed) I was very anxious to see if it was in any similar condition which thankfully it was not. Lovely nose right upon opening but really closed on the palate at first. Opened up beautifully after a few hours as a complex beauty, and even better tonight as I finish the second half. phew, as I have 2 more of these which won't be opened for quite some years.

Hi Bob

The Altare is a very modest Barbera and it may be stretched at the 10 year mark with fruit not keeping up with acidity. Despite provenance guaranteed in Australia, logistics from Italy can be appalling according to mates in the trade. Altare should have a good local importer though due the cost of their top flight wines?
Last edited by JamieBahrain on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Yalumba The Signature 1999 en magnum- Pleasing dark violet plum fruit, with mint, cedar and faint mulch. Comfortable, savourry wine that is well supported with the cabernet component and spicy cedar oak, long fine grained finish. The banality of the wine seriously contradicts its time spent in a wine investment fund! :shock:

Great mid-weeker. Last night I had a few glasses and loved its classic Barossa softness and felt it would emerge more convincingly today.

90pts
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

2011 Andrew Thomas Wines Shiraz DJV

Ruby red medium bodied look to it. Red cherries, strawberries, and some dusty/dirt upon pouring, swirled and the aromas continued out of the glass, the fruit was not jammy at all.
Medium bodied, and the mouth was similar to the nose, however this bottle seemed less acidic to previous bottles, but in a good way. Tannins and oak are present, but not overpowering anything, in fact everything felt in line with not one characteristic dominating. Overall a very well integrated wine. Felt the Semillon verjuice in this to be a good accompaniment to the shiraz.
This was the best bottle I've had of this to date, and hopefully the remaining bttles should be getting better. I'd say it still has a good 5 years left until fully peaked but really drinking well now. Very good. 92pts.
instagram.com/wine_pug

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

2014 WYNNS siding Cab.
drank over two nights.

Bramble/blackberry, dark cherry, dark mint chocolate, hints of spice
with very slight menthol characteristics.

Oak is minimal/subtle (i'm guessing french) and the tannin structure fairly prominent
on the first night but softened on night two.
Medium weight finish.

I'm not sure what this could become. I'm happy for it to remain in quaffer territory.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Redback

Post by Redback »

2001 St Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon - 2001 was the last vintage bottled under the Orlando label. Cork in great condition. Couple of hours in the decanter which was definitely required. Touch of mint and currants. Enjoyable but lacking that something extra. I think on the decline.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Scotty vino wrote:2014 WYNNS siding Cab.
drank over two nights.

Bramble/blackberry, dark cherry, dark mint chocolate, hints of spice
with very slight menthol characteristics.

Oak is minimal/subtle (i'm guessing french) and the tannin structure fairly prominent
on the first night but softened on night two.
Medium weight finish.

I'm not sure what this could become. I'm happy for it to remain in quaffer territory.

I've got the 2012 of this stashed away - great quaffer for $15/bottle!

rooman

Post by rooman »

I was supposed to be drinking the By Farr Farrside Pinot Noir 2014 until my wife knocked it off the top of the wine fridge and onto the garage floor. Five hours later I'm still struggling to say 5 words to her. :evil: :evil:

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

rooman wrote:I was supposed to be drinking the By Farr Farrside Pinot Noir 2014 until my wife knocked it off the top of the wine fridge and onto the garage floor. Five hours later I'm still struggling to say 5 words to her. :evil: :evil:

"I'm filing for a divorce"? :mrgreen:

rooman

Post by rooman »

Ian S wrote:
rooman wrote:I was supposed to be drinking the By Farr Farrside Pinot Noir 2014 until my wife knocked it off the top of the wine fridge and onto the garage floor. Five hours later I'm still struggling to say 5 words to her. :evil: :evil:

"I'm filing for a divorce"? :mrgreen:

Damn close. Supposed to be Hallidays top Pinot for the year. Thankfully I did buy a few more. Strange I'm happy spending a fortune on a bottle and destroy it by consumption but destruction by breakage makes me mad. The great irony of wine collecting.

rens

Post by rens »

2008 Torbreck The Struve Shiraz- Had a courier drop a case and smash a bottle of the Head wines. Online retailer could not get any more stock so substituted this. Porty, reductive and what I consider flabby with a bucket of alcohol heat (Very Parker). No thanks. Give me the Head any time.
I'm still to find a Torbreck that I like.
NEXT!
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

rens wrote:2008 Torbreck The Struve Shiraz- Had a courier drop a case and smash a bottle of the Head wines. Online retailer could not get any more stock so substituted this. Porty, reductive and what I consider flabby with a bucket of alcohol heat (Very Parker). No thanks. Give me the Head any time.
NEXT!

Try some aged Runrig in your glass.

rens

Post by rens »

Hunter wrote:
rens wrote:2008 Torbreck The Struve Shiraz- Had a courier drop a case and smash a bottle of the Head wines. Online retailer could not get any more stock so substituted this. Porty, reductive and what I consider flabby with a bucket of alcohol heat (Very Parker). No thanks. Give me the Head any time.
NEXT!

Try some aged Runrig in your glass.

I took some to one of the Brisbane offlines. Universally panned. Even those that like big Barossa shiraz didn't like it. Some were even asking if it was faulty. Ahh, no-that's just the style. Horrid.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2014 Bondar Voilet hour MV Shiraz, for $24 and for once agreeing with JH, the quality here richly deserves best new winery mantle.
Plus Andre and Selina are great people.

For something considered medium body it has beautiful nose of berry and spice, lovely texture on the palate, warming, wave after wave of plush fruits...fine tannins, great stuff!!
Again supports my long held belief that MV wines go way under the radar and don't get the respect they deserve...a bit of an oxymoron I know.
Should keep quiet or there will be more banal comments being made of quality wines being ridiculously under priced.
Purchased 12, to look at one each year.
Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder »

JamieBahrain wrote:
Bobthebuilder wrote:Image

2005 Elio Altare Barbera D'alba - although clear signs of a cooking somewhere in its life it did not smell or taste of that. Unfortunately it was considerably corked with TCA very apparent on the palate and finish, but surprisingly not on the nose, as far as I could pick.

2007 Mauro Veglio Barolo - having bought this at the same auction (both with provenance guaranteed) I was very anxious to see if it was in any similar condition which thankfully it was not. Lovely nose right upon opening but really closed on the palate at first. Opened up beautifully after a few hours as a complex beauty, and even better tonight as I finish the second half. phew, as I have 2 more of these which won't be opened for quite some years.

Hi Bob

The Altare is a very modest Barbera and it may be stretched at the 10 year mark with fruit not keeping up with acidity. Despite provenance guaranteed in Australia, logistics from Italy can be appalling according to mates in the trade. Altare should have a good local importer though due the cost of their top flight wines?

Hi Jamie,
Funnily enough the nose was somewhat interesting and in the mouth initially it was nice, but then that awful Wet dog soggy cardboard appeared and it was game over. I could be wrong, but feel there was significant TCA present and if it wasn't there, might have been an enjoyable wine however modest it may be. I have another, and might crack it open tomorrow night to see.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

phillisc wrote:2014 Bondar Voilet hour MV Shiraz, for $24 and for once agreeing with JH, the quality here richly deserves best new winery mantle.

For something considered medium body it has beautiful nose of berry and spice, lovely texture on the palate, warming, wave after wave of plush fruits...fine tannins, great stuff!!
Again supports my long held belief that MV wines go way under the radar and don't get the respect they deserve...a bit of an oxymoron I know.
Should keep quiet or there will be more banal comments being made of quality wines being ridiculously under priced.
Cheers
Craig

Very good note, thanks! Placed an order on the strength of this.

Cheers
Matt

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Gee Matt, no pressure mate...but really enjoyed the first bottle.
Hope you do too...and please let us know.
Cheers Craig.

PS. Andre said the 15s look very good, and will be released in a few months...so will probably be on the lookout for those too!.
My palate I guess is my palate, but do think I am moving towards finding good VFM wines from smaller producers.
Tomorrow will be a good day

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder »

2005 chateau de Fonbel St Emilion
Really funky nose
Dark bright red
Nice dark berry fruit on the palate, herbs (what type not sure?), some subtle savoury flavours, lively tannins
Medium to long finish
Nice, but for the long haul? Not sure
Interested to try again tomorrow after 24hrs of air

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

2013 Rieslingfreak No.5 (Off Dry Style), Clare Valley

Loved this Off Dry Riesling from the Clare Valley. On opening a gorgeous nose of limes, touches of pineapple and flowers. The palate is again limes, faint hint of minerals, but the 11/gl of sugar gives a touch of sweetness. The acidity is the key to this wine, it supports the residual sugar just nicely. It is a very well balanced wine akin to very good Central Otago Off Dry Style from Carrick. This is drinking superbly now, but has the acidity to carry it for many years in the cellar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder »

My mum likes merlot
Not cab Merlot blends, just straight merlot
Which I find difficult when sourcing a wine from my cellar on family get togethers to say the least
So I'm always on the lookout for merlot and sometimes just grab some really out there stuff off auction for a punt
So I grabbed this a while back and opened it tonight at my daughters 2nd birthday with the family

i didn't think much at first but now everyone has gone home and it's the only wine left (because obviously no one else was that impressed by it! :lol: ) I keep tasting it and it's really got my interest. It's aged, clearly, but retaining fruit and acid and it relatively well balanced and, well to be honest, I'm a little impressed.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Bulgarian Merlot, that's pretty hipster Bob. :D

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder »

What can I say, the kids like hipster and it's The kids birthday :lol:
Last edited by Bobthebuilder on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rory

Post by Rory »

Shaw & Smith M3 Chardonnay 2010 still quite tight and linear, a spine of acid keeping that intense fruit in check. Length is ok. The second half of the bottle was still looking intense a day later.

Produttori Langhe Nebbiolo 2006 A very wet cork, and as a result, perhaps looking a tad more advanced than it should. But nonetheless, powerfull aromas and flavours, backed by ample, rounded tannin. A really lovely wine.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Sometimes words dont do justice, so all I can says is that La Bota de Amontillado Nr 49 is a legend that I hope to taste again someday. Served blind along with the 2005 Contador at dinner on Thurs night, this was a level above the 100pt Rioja - a real Micheal Boreadbent 6* wine for me. Lots of alcohol on the nose, but the flavours, concentration and complexity were mind boggling. The Contador is a fantastice wine - lots of perfectly balanced, layered, red fruit, with enough tannin to need another 10 years. It was brilliant and there are no quarrals from me at the perfect score from Jay Miller. The sherry though was just a step up. It was hard to drink just because it was impossible to move the glass away from my nose. After an initial hit of alcohol, the smell just kept changing: sea, salt, iodine, burnt sugar. In the mouth it was layered, viscous, dry and had a finish of at least 2 minutes - I could taste it all the next day. The taste kept changing and basically the Contador and the food were forgotten completely. They only made something like 1200 half bottles, so its unlikely i will ever get to drink this again, but its not something I will ever forget. Buy if you see it...
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Redback

Post by Redback »

Some years ago I was at the Clonakilla cellar door and was speaking to Bryan Martin about the drinking windows for the SV and he mentioned that for him, they started to drink well some 8 years from vintage. With this in mind, I decided to open a bottle of 2008 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier last night. Half hour decant with minimal sediment. Hint of apricot on the nose, a product of the viognier co-fermented with the shiraz, all estate grown. Medium bodied with fine tannins. Full savoury, earth flavours with a touch of strawberry. Almost like a pumped up pinot. An excellent wine representing great drinking now but with more interest I am sure for the future. I look forward to my next bottle in a year or two.

A 2011 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz with the family lunch today. Cool climate Syrah in nature. A great vintage driven wine making excellent drinking.
Last edited by Redback on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

maybs

Post by maybs »

Couple of Chardonnays with and after farher's day dinner of fish and chips at a fancy local fish shop.

2015 Soumah Yarra Valley Chardonnay

White peach, hints of nectarine, lemon, nuts, flint. This is very nice juice that should fill out even more with some time in bottle, if you can keep your hands off it. Decent value too.

2014 Yabby Lake Single Vineyard Chardonnay

Disclosure - I am a Yabby Lake fanboy. Here we have a beauty. Citrus, white flowers, damp chalk and grapefruit on the nose yields to a palate driven by pure white peach and cashew. The balance between fruit, oak and acid, cumulating in a medium plus finish, is spot on. Really good Chardonnay at sub $40.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Redback wrote:a product of the viognier co-blended with the shiraz

Do you mean co-blended (which I don't understand) or co-fermented?
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Redback

Post by Redback »

mjs wrote:
Redback wrote:a product of the viognier co-blended with the shiraz

Do you mean co-blended (which I don't understand) or co-fermented?

Yes, my bad. Should have said co-fermented. Thanks for the pick-up.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

sch5252 wrote:
phillisc wrote:2014 Bondar Voilet hour MV Shiraz, for $24 and for once agreeing with JH, the quality here richly deserves best new winery mantle.

Cheers
Craig

Very good note, thanks! Placed an order on the strength of this.

Cheers
Matt

Tried this and the Junto GSM on Friday night. Notes:
2014 Bondar Violet Hour Shiraz. Gorgeous complex nose. Apparent florals and blackberry. Immediate wash of juicy but not sweet or lightweight fruit. Gentle grip and savoury roundup by non-intrusive acid. The sum of these parts is an excellent medium-bodied MV Shiraz. Excellent.

2014 Bondar Junto GSM. Deep dark nose with a hint of black/purple jube. Medium-full bodied entry. In the deep savoury mould. A variety of plum and black mulberry flavours. There is a line of pure fruit running through the core of the palate that makes me want to keep taking sips. Beautiful.

Went back for more of both today. Wish I had bought a mixed dozen initially and saved myself the freight.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

tarija

Post by tarija »

2012 Penfolds Bin 389 - already ready to drink, but has a substantial core of fruit that ensures that it will hold for many years. Very polished and obviously in the Penfolds house style, moreish and easy to drink. Flew off the table in no time.

2012 Hauner Salina Rosso - a Nero d'Avola / Nerello Mascalese blend from the island of Salina, just off the coast of Sicily. Light to medium bodied, wonderfully silky, rhubarb and prune on the nose, savoury cherry with a twist of herb, a twinge of acid and grip hold things up. Nice wine for immediate consumption.