The Top 5 Wines in Your Cellar are...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
phillisc

Re: The Top 5 Wines in Your Cellar are...

Post by phillisc »

Mark, I think we need to catch up

As weird, strange, obtuse or just completely off the wall, there are periods of my wine life where I am over red wine.
I can appreciate why Mike goes ga ga for Champs and I feel that golden honeyed Rieslings are the bees knees.
Last Christmas a mate spotted me 73, 74, 76 and 78 Leonays...an absolute joy and all less than 40 dollars when purchased!

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

bdellabosca

Post by bdellabosca »

Interesting thread!

Mine by number of bottles (various vintages):
1. Rockford Shiraz Basket Press
2. Marius Wines Shiraz Symphony McLaren Vale
3. Marius Wines Shiraz Simpatico McLaren Vale
4. Penfolds Shiraz St. Henri
5. Voyager Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot / Best's Great Western Shiraz Bin No 0 / Rockford Black Shiraz / Seppelt Shiraz St Peters / Moorabool Estate Shiraz Paradise IV 'The Dardel' / Mayer Pinot Noir (all tied for 5th!!!)

No balance at all (shiraz anyone?) but I'm still at the stage of going crazy of good shiraz, as well as the better value for good shiraz vs good pinot, etc...

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

phillisc wrote:Mark, I think we need to catch up

As weird, strange, obtuse or just completely off the wall, there are periods of my wine life where I am over red wine.
I can appreciate why Mike goes ga ga for Champs and I feel that golden honeyed Rieslings are the bees knees.
Last Christmas a mate spotted me 73, 74, 76 and 78 Leonays...an absolute joy and all less than 40 dollars when purchased!

Cheers
Craig

Craig, I'm not far behind you in my love for rizzas! With a decade or two in the cellar, they are superb as you well know. I just wish i had held on to the ones I bought in the 80s and 90s. Finding good aged reds is easy, not so for riesling unfortunately (except UK auctions which tend to have good German and Alsatians).

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Rockford Basket Press Shiraz
St Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon
Taylors Wines St Andrews Shiraz
Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon
Henschke Johanns Garden Grenache/Shiraz

I have a stack of single bottle buys of Clare Valley Riesling from the various sub-regions from a number of vintages also.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Wow, I had no idea I was up to 18 bottles of the Rockford Rifle Range!
Quite happy my most popular wine is still only 2.8% of my cellar... now if I can just improve the amount of non-Aussie wine (none make the top 10)...

Grosset Gaia 2.8% Bottles (23) / Average vintage 2011.3
Wynns Coonawarra Estate Shiraz 2.7% Bottles (22) / Average vintage 2008.6
Rockford Shiraz Basket Press 2.6% Bottles (21) / Average vintage 2010.2
Head Wines Shiraz The Contrarian Moculta 2.3% Bottles (19) / Average vintage 2012.9
Rockford Cabernet Sauvignon Rifle Range 2.2% Bottles (18) / Average vintage 2010.6
------------------------------------
Sam

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

For Travis W - yes there is someone who cellars whites:

JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese
Castagna Genesis
Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier (would be top of the Syrah was included)

these are all between 25 and 30 bottles. After that it fragments pretty quickly,

This kind of list will always be biased to large make multi vineyard multiregional wines. My JJ Prum collection must have 20 different individual wines in it. Even Felton Road Pinots - there are 5 of them.

AB

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

Ch Beaumont, Mark Haisma, Ch. Rieussec, Le a Grappin, Bernard Baudry. (2 Burgundy based Aussie winemakers!).
JJ Prüm likely to return to top five following a vineyard visit next week.......
To answer TW's 'no white wines?' : 4 white only, 2 red only producers in top ten.

Pej

Post by Pej »

I didn't realise the cellar was so Hunter heavy.

Lake's Folly Cabernets
Lake's Folly Chardonnay
Mount Pleasant Lovedale Sémillon
Paolo Scavino Barolo
Mount Pleasant Shiraz Maurice O'Shea / Bodegas Caro / Mount Pleasant Elizabeth Sémillon

rooman

Post by rooman »

phillisc wrote:Mark, I think we need to catch up

Cheers
Craig

I agree. I was thinking about an offline with an Aussie focus say an Langtons classification tasting since an entire meal of Riesling might be a little hard work.

I also agree with Mike's comment that it's almost impossible to buy aged Riesling. If people do cellar them then no one sells them.

Mark
PS had a lovely 09 Mesh with dinner last night but only just beginning to show maturity.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

1 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz 5.4% Bottles (62) - 11 Vintages
2 Marius Wines Simpatico Shiraz 4.9% Bottles (57) – 10 Vintages
3 Marius Wines Symphony Shiraz 3.8% Bottles (44) – 9 Vintages
4 Turkey Flat Shiraz 3.1% Bottles (36) – 8 Vintages
=5 Wynns Cabernet Sauvignon 2.6% Bottles (30) – 4 Vintages (this is not right must have some more not put into cellartracker)
=5 Majella Cabernet Sauvignon 2.6% Bottles (30) – 6 Vintages (ditto missing the 2013s)
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Investigated this - Cellartracker has a separate 'Black Label' listing for the Wynns for later vintages. Another 1.6% (18 Bottles) and three more vintages which bumps Wynns Cabernet up to 3rd

1 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz 5.4% Bottles (62) - 11 Vintages
2 Marius Wines Simpatico Shiraz 4.9% Bottles (57) – 10 Vintages
3 Wynns Cabernet Sauvignon 4.2% Bottles (48) - 7 Vintages
4 Marius Wines Symphony Shiraz 3.8% Bottles (44) – 9 Vintages
5 Turkey Flat Shiraz 3.1% Bottles (36) – 8 Vintages

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Mike Hawkins wrote:Taittinger Comtes de Champagne 119 bottles average vintage 2003.4
Dom Perignon 116 bottles average vintage 1997.8
Rockford Basket Press Shiraz 84 bottles average vintage 2001.5
Henschke Mt Edelstone 69 bottles average vintage 1995.2
Pierre Peters Les Chetillons 67 bottles average vintage 2006.1

Awesome Mike!!!
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I'm generally not one for verticals and once I have a vintage or two I tend to look for other wines and producers. So, for example, once I had a few vintages of Wynn's Black Label Cabernet tucked away I stopped buying. Of course living in Canada this is much easier as we import wines from all over the world as our wine industry was pretty dire in the old days and there was nothing to protect. However, to be fair, once the Canadian wineries abandoned the hybrids and switched over to vitus vinifera the wines have continued to improve in leaps and bounds.

I have an incomplete list of my wines and it not a conventional spreadsheet whereby I can calculate anything but I do know that the wine I have the most of is an Italian, the Castello di Nipozzano, Chianti Rufina Riserva. The Rufina Chiantis overall tend to be a little firmer than other Chiantis and cellar exceedingly well. A long time ago, when I first started collecting there were many old vintages of this wine available at a very reasonable price so I have 28 bottles of it spread out over 14 vintages. However, they are an exception. Interestingly I believe that an Australian wine is second on that list, the Bin 389 with 12 bottles spread over 4 vintages starting in 1996.The next most numerous Australian is Wynn's Black Label, 10 bottles spread over 4 vintages, also starting in 1996.

So, roughly speaking:

1. Castello di Nipozzano, Chianti Rufina Reserva, 28 bottles/14 vintages
2. Penfold's Bin 389, Shiraz-Cabernet - 12 bottles/4 vintages
3. Lopez de Heredia, Vina Bosconia, Rioja Reserva - 12 bottles/1996
4. Trio 'Infernal' 1/3, Priorat, Spain - 12 bottles/2005
5. Chateau de la Gardine, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, France - 12 bottles/2 vintages.

I reckon that the these wines constitute about 5% of the collection. Note to self: start drinking!

Cheers.................Mahmoud.

brodie

Post by brodie »

It took a bit of digging to figure this out;

My top ( sorry I did not follow the rules)

Yarra Yering No.1, 94 bottles 10 vintages
Yeringberg Red, 93 bottles, 12 vintages
Ch. Leoville Barton, 74 bottles, 13 vintages
Wendouree Cab/Malbec, 70 bottles, 11 vintages
Rockford Basket Press, 62 bottles, 12 vintages
Ch Rieussec, 61 bottles, 12 vintages
Penfolds Grange, 53 bottles, 14 vintages

The funny this is that I have not any of these wines since 2010 and most of them I stopped buying in 2007 time frame. This list is dominated by Cab based wines which I don't buy any more.

Since then I have focused on other wine regions. Also I stopped full cases of 12 bottles (which drives these bigger numbers) and now buy 3-4 bottles of each wine and buy more broadly than I did 15 years ago. So this represents a historic look at what I was buying 10+ years ago and when I bought fewer wines in large quantities.

Brodie

Duncan Disorderly

Post by Duncan Disorderly »

Wynns Coonawarra Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
Hoddles Creek Chardonnay
Blue Poles Allouran
Marius Wines Shiraz Simpatico
De Bortoli Estate Pinot Noir

All up these wines are about 18 per cent of my cellar.

rooman

Post by rooman »

brodie wrote:It took a bit of digging to figure this out;

Brodie

Lovely wine. If you haven't purchase any since 2010 then your selection must date well back into the last century.

Mark

brodie

Post by brodie »

rooman wrote:
brodie wrote:It took a bit of digging to figure this out;

Brodie

Lovely wine. If you haven't purchase any since 2010 then your selection must date well back into the last century.

Mark

Yes, my favourite chateau for its wonderful understated elegance with fantastic ageability. Vintages date from 1994 to 2009, missing only the 1995, 1997 and 2007. The 1985 and 1989 are long gone sadly :cry:

Brodie

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooman

Post by rooman »

I saw this last week and had meant to post, thank you for doing so. What fascinated me was the Lakes Folly came in at number 4. By way of contrast we almost never see it referred to on the boards.

rens

Post by rens »

rooman wrote:I saw this last week and had meant to post, thank you for doing so. What fascinated me was the Lakes Folly came in at number 4. By way of contrast we almost never see it referred to on the boards.

That is an interesting point. Which is surprising considering how much I see at auction changing hands regularly.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

mjs

Post by mjs »

rooman wrote:I saw this last week and had meant to post, thank you for doing so. What fascinated me was the Lakes Folly came in at number 4. By way of contrast we almost never see it referred to on the boards.

Saw that as well, and also find it surprising. It's been a great wine over many years, have had some great bottles (actually had a '91 last night) but you really just don't see it either physically or in discussion. Very hard to believe it's the fourth most cellared wine for Wine Ark customers. There must be a big stash somewhere :lol: :lol:
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

michel

Post by michel »

Wizz wrote:For Travis W - yes there is someone who cellars whites:

Castagna Genesis

these are all between 25 and 30 bottles. After that it fragments pretty quickly,

This kind of list will always be biased to large make multi vineyard multiregional wines. My JJ Prum collection must have 20 different individual wines in it. Even Felton Road Pinots - there are 5 of them.

AB

Tried Genesis twice recently
Very good indeed
How do they cellar?
International Chambertin Day 16th May

mjs

Post by mjs »

mjs wrote:

Saw that as well, and also find it surprising. It's been a great wine over many years, have had some great bottles (actually had a '91 last night) but you really just don't see it either physically or in discussion. Very hard to believe it's the fourth most cellared wine for Wine Ark customers. There must be a big stash somewhere :lol: :lol:

The other interesting comparison is that only 2 out 29 posters in this thread (redback and pej) list Lakes Folly in their top five. Clearly the Wine Ark demographic differs significantly from the Auswine demographic!
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

rens

Post by rens »

mjs wrote:
mjs wrote:

The other interesting comparison is that only 2 out 29 posters in this thread (redback and pej) list Lakes Folly in their top five. Clearly the Wine Ark demographic differs significantly from the Auswine demographic!

Interesting observation.
I just had a look again at my cellar and it (Lakes Folly) comes in as 14th with 8 bottles (4 of which are magnums).
On a side note if you counted the magnums as double it wold jump up to 7th in my cellar.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Not a single Pinot in their list :shock:

rooman

Post by rooman »

michel wrote:

Castagna Genesis

AB

Very good indeed
How do they cellar?

Very well. I went off Shiraz for a time last decade - just got bored as many do with the fruit and lack of complexity. Anyhow one day I discovered an old 02 Genesis in the cellar I'd bought off Neville when he was trying to pay some back taxes. I tried it over lunch and rekindled my passion for Shiraz thou this time more cool climate.

Last year on a trip to Melb I also got a chance to visit the winery in Beechworth. Julian is a superb host, passionate about his wines and extremely generous. So if you're ever near Beechworth make sure you give them a call and go visiting. It's well worth the trip.

grb2001

Post by grb2001 »

Finally got around to collating this:

Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon, 115 bottles 4.40% 17 vintages, 1990 oldest
Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet, Shiraz, 50 bottles 1.91% 15 vintages, 1990 oldest
Seppelt Benno Shiraz, 45 bottles 1.72% 7 vintages, 2003 oldest
Leconfield Cabernet Sauvignon, 45 bottles 1.72% 10 vintages, 2004 oldest
Penfolds Bin 28 - Kalimna Shiraz, 41 bottles 1.57% 10 vintages, 1994 oldest

Top white:
De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon, 39 bottles 1.49% 7 vintages, 1982 oldest

Closely followed by:
Wynns Coonawarra Estate V&A Lane Cabernet, Shiraz
Bowen Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
Seppelt Chalambar Shiraz
Mildara Cabernet Sauvignon

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

michel wrote:

Castagna Genesis

AB

Very good indeed
How do they cellar?

Didn't know Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins produced wine - one of my favourite bands :shock:

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

grb2001 wrote:Finally got around to collating this:

Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon, 115 bottles 4.40% 17 vintages, 1990 oldest

Top white:
De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon, 39 bottles 1.49% 7 vintages, 1982 oldest

That's some big cellar! :shock: :shock: :shock:

mjs

Post by mjs »

WAwineguy wrote:
grb2001 wrote:Finally got around to collating this:

Top white:

That's some big cellar! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Funny, just saw this without paying attention to the original poster .. thinking "I've got a mate who has a large cellar like this" :lol: :mrgreen:
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short