Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Phil H

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by Phil H »

2013 Belgravia Apex Chardonnay (Orange Nsw) Unfortunately from a winery that no longer exists - not certain what happened to them. Very refined and understated - elegant,fuller bodied Chardonnay. Very good.

2014 Dominique Piron Morgon Cote de Py(Gamay) my first step into this region & variety. Thoroughly enjoyable, nothing too complex but very slurpable. Red berries, a touch of earth with acid. Could be mistaken for a Pinot, an excellent match with pork belly. Very good.

2006 Chateau Haut Monplasir Prestige (Cahors -Malbec) Fuller bodied, dark fruits with earthiness (again). Tannins still present but fading. Very good.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

A few night ago we enjoyed a Kilikanoon 2005 Blocks Road Clare Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (cork). Very very nice being in the richer sphere without being over the top like some warm climate cabs. Perhaps a little too much oak the only minor complaint but I can handle that. I've only just started drinking Kilikanoon wines and am continuously impressed. Their shiraz rocks.

Apart from that it's been some nice Margaret River cab cheapies that have continued my understanding of medium bodied cabs. Just yum.

And a few Clare and Eden Valley rieslings (Pewsey Vale etc) that are always reliable and glugable. Great with chilli dishes.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Redback

Post by Redback »

[quote="Phil H"]2013 Belgravia Apex Chardonnay (Orange Nsw) Unfortunately from a winery that no longer exists - not certain what happened to them. Very refined and understated - elegant,fuller bodied Chardonnay. Very good.

I recall purchasing a lot of the Apex at discounted prices and was always a great quaffer. Sadly, my guess that the pricing model got to them in the end.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

rooman wrote:
WAwineguy wrote:
rooman wrote:
I'm interested to know a bit more about how you found this wine. I have a few tucked away as part of the wines I collected for my son's birth year. So far I've kept my hands off these I was concerned they would still be too under developed. Sounds however as those they might be open for business?

Mark

I'm a member of a Bordeaux-based wine "club" - they partner with most of the top Chateaux and Domaines to bring wines to members ex-chateaux.

My apologies, by "found" I meant please tell me more about the wine, tannin structure, flavour development, is it still too young to drink? Should I hold for a few more years or is it in its drinking window.

The wine club also sounds interesting and would happily receive information about it on the side or by a private message of it's still open to new members.

It's definitely in its drinking window, but by my assessment would have plenty of legs left. As with a lot of burgundy I've tried it needs to breathe for a good hour, preferably two, but then it is superb - very smooth and silky.

rooman

Post by rooman »

WAwineguy wrote:
It's definitely in its drinking window, but by my assessment would have plenty of legs left. As with a lot of burgundy I've tried it needs to breathe for a good hour, preferably two, but then it is superb - very smooth and silky.

Many thanks.I may dig one out and see how we go. I will let you know my thoughts.

Cheers
Mark

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Ian S wrote:
Chuck wrote:On the subject of John Riddoch pricing of $150 you can get well aged JR from quality vintages eg 96 and 98 and with good provenance from auction for around $100 including buyer's premium. As they say the market is always right so the secondary market is pricing its quality in comparison with other wines so perhaps Treasury Wine should note this when it dreams up new release prices. I think TW needs to understand that the rest of the wine industry has caught up with it over the past 30 years and it no longer has a mortgage over the premium cabernet market and Coonawarra may be losing its mantle as the regional king of cabernet.

Apologies for sidetracking the thread. :D

Carl

Yes I recall their 'price correction' when they realised the market didn't value the wine as highly as they did. IIRC it was a 40-50% reduction. Maybe the time is right to repeat that. FWIW I'm a fan of this and the black label Cab Sauv, but not so much of a fan that I'll buy at any price.

I remember that as well. By the way, what does the Black Label go for now? Over here in Edmonton (Canada) it sells for about $30 (our dollars are virtually on par) and of course we are a couple of vintages behind.

Mahmoud.

Redwine&Rum

Post by Redwine&Rum »

You can buy BL Cabernet for $25 from their online site if you are a member of the John Riddoch club you can get it for $27. So pretty close there Mahmoud.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2004 Seppelt Chalambar Shiraz Clearing some room for my recent purchase of 2014 Chalambar. (Still available for sub $20 - price hasn't changed in this time) Not showing its 12 years of age, tannins still present, good acid, red berries with a touch of stalkiness. Different from my last bottle of this vintage which I thought it was past its best, however now reassessing. 1 bottle left of this vintage, will try in a years time. Good, however great VFM for a sub $20 wine, always interesting.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Riesling theme from Clare:

2016 Naked Run Wines 'The First' - excellent
2016 Jim Barry Watervale - lovely
2016 Knappstein - lovely
2012 Taylors Wines St Andrews - perfumed, intensity and length - a 'cracker'
2015 Pikes Traditionale - drinking beautifully at the moment

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

2013 domaine filnes jourdan Picpoul
I've never had picpoul before. @ $15 bottle I couldn't resist. Golden and developed. Floral nose, apricot, peach. On the palate Grapefruit, pomelo some lime zest. Awesone balance.
As a chef, this wine is so satisfying, a sommelier could match it what ever they please. Its foolproof.. Had with red gum smoked chicken, hot from the smoker.
What a bargain!

Redwine&Rum

Post by Redwine&Rum »

2005 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Creek magnum. Been waiting for a moment to crack this for ages. Wasn't disappointed. It was a beautiful wine. For some reason I really enjoy Heathcote shiraz. Don't think it will get any better, but is drinking wonderfully at the moment. Double decanted to get rid of sediment.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Out to dinner last night and the sommelier recommended the 2014 Anjou Blanc, Cuvee a Francoise, Thibaud Boudignon. 100% Chenin and a wonderful wine - probably the best dry Chenin I have had. What was lovely was the way the wine unfurled in the decanter - Danny said he prefers to open the wine first thing in the morning if he knows it is going to be drunk in the evening. With a delicate, layered texture, this featured smokey fruit and had a very Burgundian theme. Chenin can sometimes be quite a hard wine, but this was totally different and was very refined and restrained - I´ve drank a few Clos Rougeard Breze, and dont remember it being as good as this
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Redback

Post by Redback »

2010 Majella Cabernet Sauvignon - a great full bodied and balanced wine. Full of fruit and drinking well now.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Privileged to open a 1991 Wendouree Shiraz tonight as celebration for one of our daughters new job. Close to the most lovely smooth and long wine I have tried. Everything was is balance. Certainly not over the hill, will stay at this high level for years yet.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Weeknight drinking this week-

Clarendon Hills Hickinbotham Cabernet 2006- Sexy, new wave wine that could be a Parker orientated Brunello or a Ribera del Duero.

La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 2005 904 en magnum- I bought six of these for drinking now and for however long they last as my 6 magnums of 2004 put into the cellar. the 05 is very good, a little ripe and awkward but devilish on day two and I should have left some for day three but didn't. Bargain of the wine world.

Tappanappa Whalebone Cabernet Shiraz 2012- Gluey, resiny oak and rich choc-mint fruit. Spreads beautifully in the mouth with concentration and complexity, earth and red and black fruit persistence and the warmth carried the oak. Needs time as day two was excellent.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder »

2005 Elio Altare Barbera D'alba - although clear signs of a cooking somewhere in its life it did not smell or taste of that. Unfortunately it was considerably corked with TCA very apparent on the palate and finish, but surprisingly not on the nose, as far as I could pick.

2007 Mauro Veglio Barolo - having bought this at the same auction (both with provenance guaranteed) I was very anxious to see if it was in any similar condition which thankfully it was not. Lovely nose right upon opening but really closed on the palate at first. Opened up beautifully after a few hours as a complex beauty, and even better tonight as I finish the second half. phew, as I have 2 more of these which won't be opened for quite some years.

Dang

Post by Dang »

Redwine&Rum wrote:You can buy BL Cabernet for $25 from their online site if you are a member of the John Riddoch club you can get it for $27. So pretty close there Mahmoud.

I am quite surprised with the pricing when I attended a demo (with food) from Wynns hosted by Sue Hodder. At the end I ended up with some JR2012 at around $45 (my club price is usually 20% off the public price), some Michael 2010 at similar price and BL Cab 2013 at $21 (bought a dozen). Yesterday I had a pleasant surprise to see the BL Shiraz 2012 on the shelf. Got 3 for roughly $26 a piece (club price) after tax. Other stores in Calgary display similar pricing (although no club price there). Should I be alarmed or buy more? By the way Saltram No 1 2012 is now available at about $25 a piece. Does the importer make a booboo somewhere? Unfortunately I did not query Sue Hodder about pricing.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Last night a Devil's Lair 2010 Margaret River Hidden Cave Cabernet Shiraz. A secondary label for the winery and my first bottle. Quite a respectable effort for a blend not seen much in MR. Got better after a good airing. Great QPR.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Last night a screwcapped 2005 Penfolds Bin 389. Very disappointed with this one. Decanted for an hour, but this one was tight as. Not much of anything really. Muted fruit. Quite tannic on the finish. Perhaps I needed to decant for 10 hours. Seems this one was quite highly rated on The Wine Front too. Maybe I need to leave the others for at least another 5 years.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Redwine&Rum wrote:You can buy BL Cabernet for $25 from their online site if you are a member of the John Riddoch club you can get it for $27. So pretty close there Mahmoud.

Thanks....................Mahmoud.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Hacker wrote:Last night a screwcapped 2005 Penfolds Bin 389. Very disappointed with this one. Decanted for an hour, but this one was tight as. Not much of anything really. Muted fruit. Quite tannic on the finish. Perhaps I needed to decant for 10 hours. Seems this one was quite highly rated on The Wine Front too. Maybe I need to leave the others for at least another 5 years.

Are you crazy? Never mind a 10 hour decant, at a minimum it needs at least 10 years AND a ten hour decant, not another five years. Oh, and my 2005 Bin 389 isn't screw-capped but that doesn't worry me.

Meanwhile, Saturday night on the home front we had a Quinta da Romeira's 2012 Prova Regia Arinto (12.5%) from Lisboa, Portugal, an opening wine to have with hummous and bread. Already a few years old it has a lovely tropical fruit nose, honey melon and green bean notes, it is fresh and tasty though the acidity is on the wane. Overall, a nice inexpensive wine well suited as an aperitif.

Next up was a 2005 Bethany Grenach (14.5%) from the Barossa. At 11 years of age it is already brick red, orange and watery at the rim and the nose is beautifully open and fragrant. It has a new world Pinot-like nose, redolent with strawberries and sweet cola, as well as some leather and barnyard. The palate has a similar profile though drier, a soft, sweet strawberry entry followed by leathery, cherry skin tannins and a dry savoury finish. A home run as far as I'm concerned. I've had a more recent vintage of the Bethany (perhaps an '08 or '09) and it was a decidedly firmer wine and will likely need far more time to reach this level of maturity and pleasure.

Cheers.................Mahmoud.

Edit: Corrected to improve on my math, the Bethany was not 16 years old as I originally posted. Clearly a second bottle of wine is not conducive to accuracy.
Last edited by Mahmoud Ali on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2015 Airlie Bank Yarra Valley Noir The second label from Punt Road. I was warned on purchasing this wine that it "wasn't quiet right" possibly suffering from smoke taint, however it was an interesting funky wine. For under $20 - let's give it a go.
I believe that it is predominantly Pinot noir, with a bit of Shiraz and maybe something else thrown in. Yes, it's not quiet right, medium bodied, red berries and a bit of spice, with some bacon (I have never used this descriptor before). But as I was not expecting a 96 point, gold medal wine, I was not disappointed and enjoyed it for what it was - a young funky interesting wine that didn't cost a fortune. :D

Deano

Post by Deano »

Cracked opened a 2008 Kalleske Greenock Shiraz, has been cellared with care. Cork was intact and end-face was dark. Full bodied, deep colour, nasally elegant and wonderfully flavoured with a medium length, more points if it lasted a bit longer. Happy with an uncalibrated score of 9.5/10 pts. This bottle was in original shape and label, not a fan of the change to the thick format. Enjoy the 2008 now.
Cheers

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

2012 Metala White Label Shiraz Cabernet

Dark, purple/red, visibly shows no signs of age.
Very fruit heavy nose on opening which went away after a minute or two to reveal dark chocolate, mint, tobacco, and some blackberries. Seems pretty well integrated of oak, tannins, fruit and acid all fairly well in check making it a pretty smooth drink. Pretty good, and a very good QPR wine. Will still last longer. 90pts
instagram.com/wine_pug

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2007 Wynns Glengyle single vineyard Cabernet. 14%
Bright colour with lovely blue/blackberry on the nose, not a lot of wood.
Palate was plush but marred for me with what felt like excessive acid ( sorry Malcolm).
Perhaps it needs time, but a little disappointing at this stage.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

deejay81 wrote:2012 Metala White Label Shiraz Cabernet

Dark, purple/red, visibly shows no signs of age.
Very fruit heavy nose on opening which went away after a minute or two to reveal dark chocolate, mint, tobacco, and some blackberries. Seems pretty well integrated of oak, tannins, fruit and acid all fairly well in check making it a pretty smooth drink. Pretty good, and a very good QPR wine. Will still last longer. 90pts

Yes can't help myself with this one, thought a 100 cases of this wine was enough ( just kidding but feels like I have purchased a few :shock: ).
Its sub $10 at the chains again...so might have to see if there is room for a dozen or two more.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

Craig - doesn't seem to be $10 at my local. Which chains are you referring?

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

I'm not a frequent white wine drinker, but the other night I dug around in the fridge and opened a:

2010 Petaluma Riesling

I must say I was stunned at how good it was, not sweet or too fruity, beautiful and smooth and quite distinct from the Chardonnay I sometimes drink (on the odd occasion I actually drink white).

Anybody else like this wine?

rooman

Post by rooman »

WAwineguy wrote:I'm not a frequent white wine drinker, but the other night I dug around in the fridge and opened a:

2010 Petaluma Riesling

I must say I was stunned at how good it was, not sweet or too fruity, beautiful and smooth and quite distinct from the Chardonnay I sometimes drink (on the odd occasion I actually drink white).

Anybody else like this wine?

I haven't tried this vintage but the 2002 vintage was the riesling that really got my obsession with Australian rieslings underway. I throw a case of most vintages into the cellar for future years.

Mark

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Bobthebuilder wrote:Image

2005 Elio Altare Barbera D'alba - although clear signs of a cooking somewhere in its life it did not smell or taste of that. Unfortunately it was considerably corked with TCA very apparent on the palate and finish, but surprisingly not on the nose, as far as I could pick.

2007 Mauro Veglio Barolo - having bought this at the same auction (both with provenance guaranteed) I was very anxious to see if it was in any similar condition which thankfully it was not. Lovely nose right upon opening but really closed on the palate at first. Opened up beautifully after a few hours as a complex beauty, and even better tonight as I finish the second half. phew, as I have 2 more of these which won't be opened for quite some years.

Hi Bob

The Altare is a very modest Barbera and it may be stretched at the 10 year mark with fruit not keeping up with acidity. Despite provenance guaranteed in Australia, logistics from Italy can be appalling according tom mates in the trade. Altare should have agood local importer though die the cost of their top flight wines?
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano