NZ South Island

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
calm

NZ South Island

Post by calm »

Hi All

I have been asked by a friend for guidance in terms of wineries in NZ Sth Island to visit and ones to avoid.

Red wine drinkers

Appreciate your views

thanks

Craig S
Craig S

TiggerK

Re: NZ South Island

Post by TiggerK »

Is your friend travelling around the whole South Island? I hope they like Pinot Noir!! Other reds are around, but most South Is wineries will typically have Sav Blanc, Pinot Gris, Gewurtz, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and dessert wines on offer.

Plenty of other threads on this topic, but FWIW, my short list of places to visit for both good wine and good people..... no doubt forgotten a few, it's been a few years.

Blenheim/Nelson

Herzog (great lunch too)
Fromm
Villa Maria
(these three above would be the most red friendly)

Neudorf (Nelson - not sure about their CD though)
Framingham (mostly whites)
Lawsons Dry Hills (also mostly white)

Waipara

Pyramid Valley (best to make appt)
Bell Hill (not sure if they do CD much)
Pegasus Bay (great lunch)

Otago

Felton Road
Mt Difficulty
Rippon
Amisfield (great lunch)

Ones to avoid is a tricky subject, there's always a few touristy places with average wines but most CD's are solid in NZ.

Cheers
Tim

calm

Post by calm »

Thanks Tim
Yes, need to love Pinot, they were aware of that.

Those sound like great suggestions from the limited experience I've had from those wineries.

Craig S
Craig S

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I second Fromm and Framingham. Herzog had some interesting wines, but better wines and value for money at Fromm and especially at Framingham
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

When is your friend going? Reason I ask is that I drove most of the South Island in August last year, and a lot of places were closed for the month, particularly in Nelson and Marlborough. Central Otago was a bit of an exception (ski season).

calm

Post by calm »

Wizz wrote:When is your friend going? Reason I ask is that I drove most of the South Island in August last year, and a lot of places were closed for the month, particularly in Nelson and Marlborough. Central Otago was a bit of an exception (ski season).

September Wizz
Craig S