Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Michael McNally

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by Michael McNally »

deejay81 wrote:2008 Gomersal GSM
Deep purple , impenetrable. Oaky, with some pepper and earth. Red fruits are there but secondary.
Taste revealed resolved tannins and acid, well integrated with fruit. I think this is in a perfect drinking window right now. But can still hold for some years to come. The high alcohol content (16.5%?) does not show and if someone told me this was 14%, I'd still believe them. 91pts

Hi deejay

Had this with a few other forumites a month or so ago. I thought it had a volatile nose. My note says "very powerful" but for me it was to the point where the acid didn't clear the palate, the note says "almost cloying". However, this was popular among a group of very educated tasters. My note or the Shiraz of the same vintage simply says ""fruit too heavy", so perhaps I wasn't in the mood for the blockbuster style!

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

Michael McNally wrote:Hi deejay

Had this with a few other forumites a month or so ago. I thought it had a volatile nose. My note says "very powerful" but for me it was to the point where the acid didn't clear the palate, the note says "almost cloying". However, this was popular among a group of very educated tasters. My note or the Shiraz of the same vintage simply says ""fruit too heavy", so perhaps I wasn't in the mood for the blockbuster style!

Cheers

Michael

Actually, I had another bottle of this about 6 months ago and I would agree, with the "fruit too heavy" that you mentioned with your tasting for my previous bottle. The bottle I had last night seemed a bit more developed and certainly didn't seem too fruit heavy.... possibly because I tasted it straight after a very fruity Mike Press Shiraz.
instagram.com/wine_pug

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Had a Board dinner the other night:

1996 Giaconda Chardonnay
2002 Torbreck Run Rig

Both were superb, but ridiculously expensive at the steakhouse!!

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Shareholders will be pleased :D
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

rens

Post by rens »

1998 Chateau Musar. This was a delight. Everything you want from a Musar. Great soft fruit, some earthy leather and hints of barnyard with a very lengthy finis. Very Burgundian.
2009 Tenser Avatar This must be one of the best GSMs at this price point. Medium plus body. Red fruit, leather and grippy tannins with some racy acid. Nice on a cool Brisbane night.
2014 Cellier des Princes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Le Blason du Prince Another of these. The nose is filled with small berries and the palate the same. The back fades quickly-a little disappointing but overall not too bad.
2010 Turners Crossing Shiraz - Viognier Lovely velvety wine with nice balance on the first night. Dies in the arse with a wack of EA on the second night. Not bad for the price.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Ok rant time. Please forgive me. Just venting.

Been thinking thru thursday and today about opening a bottle. A special bottle to me. I bought a bottle of 2006 Penfolds St Henri on auction a year ago. Kept it for a year. Opened tonight to funk. Not nice at all. Maybe cooked? Heat affected. Just wrong. Screwcap too.

I just think some %×+,&÷$&€$ cooked this bottle in a batch, tried one, stewed it and put it on an unsuspecting stranger and recouped 70 bucks.

Well - advice. Provenance is important.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I'm having a glass of Miraval Rose 2013 from Provence. Angelina Jollie's wine.

Teobaldo Cappellano

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Cactus wrote:Ok rant time. Please forgive me. Just venting.

Been thinking thru thursday and today about opening a bottle. A special bottle to me. I bought a bottle of 2006 Penfolds St Henri on auction a year ago. Kept it for a year. Opened tonight to funk. Not nice at all. Maybe cooked? Heat affected. Just wrong. Screwcap too.

I just think some %×+,&÷$&€$ cooked this bottle in a batch, tried one, stewed it and put it on an unsuspecting stranger and recouped 70 bucks.

Wasn't too young? I have a half case of 06 St Henri and won't dream of touching them for another 5 years. Typically St Henri need 15 years.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

JamieBahrain wrote:I'm having a glass of Miraval Rose 2013 from Provence. Angelina Jollie's wine.

Is it actually any good?
------------------------------------
Sam

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I'm not a Rose guy but I think it is. Quite weighty for a provencial style. Cheaper than TF Rose in HKG . :shock: :shock:

Teobaldo Cappellano

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Rocky wrote:

Wasn't too young? I have a half case of 06 St Henri and won't dream of touching them for another 5 years. Typically St Henri need 15 years.

Good question. But i dont think so. Was not pleasant at all to drink. Kind of a stewed port hint of balsamic vinegar flavor profile. No pleasant fruits to speak of. What would a st henri be like in the dead zone?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Cactus wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Good question. But i dont think so. Was not pleasant at all to drink. Kind of a stewed port hint of balsamic vinegar flavor profile. No pleasant fruits to speak of. What would a st henri be like in the dead zone?

Probably not. I suspect, as you mentioned, you have been palmed a poorly stored bottle. Makes you wonder why anyone would originally fork out $70+ then not store it correctly. The perils of auctions and importance of provenance.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

2009 Diana Madeline
I have 8 bottles of these which I had purchased from the Cellar Door. Last night was my first try at the 09, and given the hefty price tag and the big JO call as 'Wine of the Year' 'Reminiscent of how Bordeaux use to be', my expectations were high. Whilst I wasn't disappointed I felt I little let down, perhaps I was expecting too much or the lighter weight of this wine wasn't to my palate. Medium purple / red with malt, black olives, black and red fruits. Very fine tannins and almost feathery through the palate. Long finish. If wines were gender specific this was certainly feminine. I could envisage this would be a polarising wine.

Raymo

Post by Raymo »

I had a 2001 recently which was a 'wow' moment. Having drunk these wines since the early 80s vintages, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near my 2009 until AT LEAST 2019.

Be patient, and try one again sometime around 2020.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Raymo wrote:I had a 2001 recently which was a 'wow' moment. Having drunk these wines since the early 80s vintages, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near my 2009 until AT LEAST 2019.

Be patient, and try one again sometime around 2020.

Thanks Raymo

I will heed your advice.

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Starting with a Makers Mark old fashioned by a campfire. Am following with a 2010 and 2011 Blue Poles Allouran. Opened both last night and had 1 tiny glass glass and left them both to air. Very nice wines, slightly prfer the 2010. The 2011 had a bit too much oak, planning for this to have blown off a bit overnight.

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Cactus wrote:Starting with a Makers Mark old fashioned by a campfire. Am following with a 2010 and 2011 Blue Poles Allouran. Opened both last night and had 1 tiny glass glass and left them both to air. Very nice wines, slightly prfer the 2010. The 2011 had a bit too much oak, planning for this to have blown off a bit overnight.

24 hrs later. Both Blue Poles are delightful. The 2010 drinking very well, but i think better years are ahead and still too early. The 2011 has as i suggested had the oak recede. Its a big change really. Not too much now. Perhaps we dont put enough empasis on the correct aeration? One more variable!

My preference on first tasting yesterday toward the 2010 is now changed. I now think the 2011 to be the slightly superior wine ultimately.

Am i quibbling? Absolutely. Both are super wines. Tonight my task is confirmed. They are to be added to the cellar plan. As to pricing i think they represent very good vfm.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2004 Penfolds Bin 28 Shiraz. Dark fruits,liquorice, full bodied with oak in the background. Okay but not great. Can't see it getting any better, but no hurry to drink. Working my way through some older shiraz. It's amazing how your taste develops and changes. Enjoying more lighter bodied, elegant spicier wines. Hardly buying any more Shiraz.

Raymo

Post by Raymo »

No worries. BTW, in case anyone reading my comment wants to point out that the Diana Madeline line doesn't go back to the early 80s, I was referring to Cullen reds overall, not just the DMs. Sláinte :D

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Rocky wrote:2009 Diana Madeline
I have 8 bottles of these which I had purchased from the Cellar Door. Last night was my first try at the 09, and given the hefty price tag and the big JO call as 'Wine of the Year' 'Reminiscent of how Bordeaux use to be', my expectations were high. Whilst I wasn't disappointed I felt I little let down, perhaps I was expecting too much or the lighter weight of this wine wasn't to my palate. Medium purple / red with malt, black olives, black and red fruits. Very fine tannins and almost feathery through the palate. Long finish. If wines were gender specific this was certainly feminine. I could envisage this would be a polarising wine.

He also went OTT on the 1998 and 1999 editions which were (in that context) disappointing. Caution advised.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

2012 Gomersal Shiraz. Their entry level, but oh so much better than many wineries 'Reserve' wines. So happy. Value +
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2015 Centennial Vineyards House Block Gewürztraminer Not having much experience with this grape variety, it is hard to rate, however for something different to accompany my Barramundi, thoroughly enjoyable. Lychee & melon, with a touch of apricot. It's no medal winner, but good to venture away from the mainstream of Chardonnay and Riesling.

maybs

Post by maybs »

2011 Hoddles Creek 1er Chardonnay

Yum.

2006 Lazuli Cabernet Sauvignon (chile)

Absolutely delightful.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

2008 Tempus Two Shiraz Pewter Vine Vale

Medium purple just showing tiny signs of age. Has some red cherries and strawberries, but well integrated with resolved acid and tannins. Could have been better but finishes a little short. 88pts
instagram.com/wine_pug

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2005 Brini Sebastian Shiraz Restoring my interest in Shiraz, not showing its age, perhaps acid has been added to keep its freshness. Despite this thoroughly enjoyable, medium bodied, red berry fruits.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Phil H wrote:2005 Brini Sebastian Shiraz Restoring my interest in Shiraz, not showing its age, perhaps acid has been added to keep its freshness. Despite this thoroughly enjoyable, medium bodied, red berry fruits.

Sounds good, I was given a 2010 of this a couple of days ago and was literally just searching it up. Thanks for the note.
Perhaps they were too liberal with the tartaric acid in 2005.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

2014 Kilikanoon Killerman's Run Shiraz, Clare Valley

Their entry level Shiraz. I saw the great man of wine scores in Australia gave this a very good score just recently. Plenty of good fruit, full bodied, dark fruits, chocolate, plum, good tannins and mouth feel. The finish is plush and medium , with a touch of bourbon and the oak filling it out. At ~$20 this is bloody good value.
Abodes well for the '14 Wendourees if a wine at this level can be so good.

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

2013 Echelon Riesling Last Horizon

Pale lemon colour. Slight kerosene but mostly lemon and limes on the nose, this didn't change over the hour it was drunk, a little bit of varnish was there too.
Taste was similar but has a good amount of acid, and slight amount of RS. Some waxiness in the mouth on the finish. Medium finish. Pretty decent. 88pts.
instagram.com/wine_pug

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Voyager 2009 Chardonnay. Has softened over the last few years. Lovely acid balance with grapefruit and melon fruit influences. Don't serve too cold and this Marg River will not let you down. Can go for a few more years, but I don't think it will improve from here. Lovely wine and underpriced against some of it's competition.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Pretty much nailed a Rockford Basket Press 2006 the other night. Into a really good zone at present and will hold for some time. After a few lightweight and a bit underwhelming bottles recently (08,09,11 spring to mind) this was a real treat. Moreish.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.