Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
rosewaterwrx

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by rosewaterwrx »

michel wrote:Image

Very keen to hear your thoughts on the Produttori Michel.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

I rarely post these but I will...

2013 Les Dolomies En Novelin
More oxidative than I remember this being (and this is done in a non ox style). A bit of funk..smells a bit more like a natural wine...but the stronger oxidative notes are adding something that wasn't there before..a bit of nuttiness....Acidity is fantastic which is what I'd expect...but in particular this bottle is showing fantastic acidity which has this wonderful drive through the finish..

On the plus side..this bottle is better than the last I had with a bit more interest and better acidity.....on the downside(or upside depending on how you look at it) the strong ox notes are making the wine feel bigger and I popped something to be really casual....

Great wine...Hard to find producer that I'm sure will be harder to find as people realize there just isn't a lot available....

michel

Post by michel »

International Chambertin Day 16th May

michel

Post by michel »

rosewaterwrx wrote:

Very keen to hear your thoughts on the Produttori Michel.

Pale
Earthy rose petally with lovely tannins
And decent length
On a World scale this a lovely lovely wine
Not big but the tannins build
Its a tick from me
I am buying....

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pc79

Post by pc79 »

2014 Bondar 'Violet Hour' Shiraz - Mclaren Vale. Wow, young, but oh so beautifully balanced. Spicy plums, blackberries, truffle, milk chocolate, salt, soft and silken, but enough weight and spice to carry through. Superb tannin work. Keep an eye out for these guys. Sensational.
Last edited by pc79 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redback

Post by Redback »

2008 Grant Burge Filsalll Shiraz - had a bottle of this last month which was unfortunately corked. Not this time. A great full bodied Shiraz that is tasting very well, with a roast lamb on a Winter night,

michel

Post by michel »

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Really good producer, across the whole range, including some very good whites

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

2012 Wynns V&A Lane Shiraz, Coonawarra

Medium bodied, a touch of (sour) dark cherries, hints of blueberry and black berry fruits, all quite muted and not really jumping out. A dusty/toastiness from the oak, all quite seem-less within the wine. The finish was not really anything to rate really. It was an okay wine, but well below my expectations. 15/20

rooman

Post by rooman »

sch5252 wrote:2012 Wynns V&A Lane Shiraz, Coonawarra

Medium bodied, a touch of (sour) dark cherries, hints of blueberry and black berry fruits, all quite muted and not really jumping out. A dusty/toastiness from the oak, all quite seem-less within the wine. The finish was not really anything to rate really. It was an okay wine, but well below my expectations. 15/20

I was invited to the Wynnsday Collection dinner last night at the Bentley and I would agree with your assessment and score of the V&A Shiraz, though the vintage we had was the 2014. Overall i was disappointed with the V&A Shiraz. The V&A Cab Shriaz on the other hand was a completely different beast, a far more complete wine with a full mouth feel and great richness.

Other highlights included the 2009 Wynns Glengyle which I enjoyed immensely. it is obviously difficult to put a 2009 up against the majority of the other wines from the 2013 and 2014 vintages but the Glengyle is definitely worth tracking down and trying. it was bracketed with the 2013 Wynns Harold Single Vineyard which I found thinner and greener but which the diner next to me put ahead of the Glengyle.

The 2013 John Riddoch was excellent in a richer style similar to Bordeaux growth wine from a good vintage such as the 2009 - lush fruit and will go for decades. By comparison the 2013 Michael Shiraz, whilst initially interested, faded next to the JR.

Finally the 2014 Black Label is just amazing value for money, rich, velvety tannins. Complete length all the way to the finish. I will tuck away a case for the future.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Had a glass of Rudderless Mataro 2012 with a great dinner at the Victory Hotel . Beautiful wine , unmistakably Mataro with just a poke of Southern Vales warmth.

Blast from the past! Blue Pyrennees 96 was disappointing so I've left most of the bottle for tonight in the hope aeration brings more interesting fruit to play.

I'm a fan of McAlister. A little unheralded locally but I find it one of our purest Bordeaux look-a likes at somewhere above entry level. The 2003 showed black currant and cedar, darker extracted fruit in a long length. At a good serving temperature subtle complexities emerged . Best with food. 91pts

"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Glad to see you enjoyed the Victory Jamie...best regional pub meal in SA bar none and that's based on twenty years of eating there.
I really enjoy Doug's range of wines and quite reasonably priced. The mataro, shiraz and shiraz malbec are all very good.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Always a favorite! Great back vintage prices too though the Wendouree all but gone now!
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

2016 Tim Adams Pinot Gris, Clare

Great colour, fragrant nose of tropical fruits and a touch of rose water. The palate has great mouth-feel coupled with vibrant fruit; think pears, lychee and a faint hint of musk on the finish. A good zing of acidity keeps this wine in check. Tim delivers a consistent house Pinot Gris style over and over. The 2016 delivers an opulence over the 2015 vintage (which is a very good wine also), it’s a ripper in my book and will be very popular come spring/summer.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

2010 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz - Decanted for 6 hours, gorgeous wine!
2008 Vasse Felix Heytesbury - This Bordeaux blend was even better than the Rockford, fabulous wine with plenty of years to go in the cellar, so glad I've got plenty more!!

rosewaterwrx

Post by rosewaterwrx »

Fratelli D'Anna Rosso Di Montalcino 2013

Note is - Meh, ok. Not a bad buy but glad I didn't buy more. WF over rated this IMO.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

2006 Woodlands "Margaret" Margaret River - A wine that really shows the tough vintage conditions Margaret River experienced in 2006. Has a lean, green, capsicum streak through it which does distract from the overall experience. Not the best example of this wine and in a 10 year vertical of Woodlands "Margaret" this would easily be voted last place. Ok.

1997 Beringer Vineyards Alluvium Knights Valley Red Bordeaux Blend - Deep blood red in colour. Quite a savoury nose. Palate is just hanging in there. Soft, smooth, elegant and very easy drinking ... everything in the right place but not a wine that will blow your socks off. Definitely has peaked and will not improve any further ... and based on the bottle we had a few years ago could be on the slow downhill decline. But still a very enjoyable California merlot/cabernet blend.

1998 Penfolds Shiraz Bin 28 Kalimna - First bottle from a six pack purchase on release from the outstanding 1998 vintage. Decanted for 2 hours. Deep crimson red in colour, beautiful nose of dark chocolate, dark berry and oak. Palate is rich, smooth and concentrated but has integrated well. Lovely balance of fruit, acid and oak. Still drinking quite youthful ... although 18 years old, at a blind tasting you would be hard pressed to think it was more than 6 years old. Finishes medium-to-long with soft, fine tannins. Lovely! Based on this bottle I think this wine could still benefit with more time in the cellar so won't touch another one for 5 years. No rush to drink this wine and the CT long term drinking window of 2028 looks about right. Great QPR!
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

2015 Tonic Chardonnay, Adelaide Hills

inviting nose of stone fruit, a touch of spice (ginger?) and hint of sea shell. Beautiful palate, stone fruits, great line of acidity giving it a 'zip' (faintly lemon like). There is oak influence there but barely noticeable. The palate fills out nicely and finishes well. Drinking well now, but give this another 12-18 months and should be a further delight. Well played. Great packaging too.

2015 Stonebridge Grenache Mataro, Clare

The mataro is a nice addition to the Grenache giving the wine an interesting edge. A funky style of wine, the richness / ripeness of the Grenache is evened out by the mataro. medium bodied, it is a fun wine that has a very good mouth feel and finish, the fruit really speaks in this wine. With more and more air time it got better and better. A very good 'drink now' wine.

michel

Post by michel »

[img=https://s31.postimg.org/j8gy9kejr/image.jpg]

Back from Europe- trying Tuscan varietals..
I had a mate over to help get over Jetlag
He offered an American Littorai Pinot
I declined & we did a cellar raid
They all showed well

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

2012 Wynns Cabernet Sauvignon (Black Label), Coonawarra

After a disappointing 2012 V&A Lane Shiraz the other day, I thought I would take a look at this. I pulled out of the wine fridge in the AM and decanted an hour before dinner. Quite a muted nose, not really giving anything except for a touch of oak and cassis. With some vigorous swirling, I was trying to tease something out of it, but overall the wine was quite ‘flat’, both on the nose and palate. There was a glimpse of Coonawarra fruit; cassis & dark fruits, the oak was present but not overpowering, most notable was the dusty drying tannins, but there was no ‘oomph’ to the fruit, I would say overall it was restrained/subdued. Not sure what to make of this really. I think it misses the mark. Majella is a far better prospect for the 2012 vintage.

2013 Skillogalee Basket Pressed ‘The Cabernets’, Clare

A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec and Cabernet Franc. Compared to the above wine, this has a lovely perfumed fragrance and attractive nose of violets, plums and hint of blackberry. On the palate, it has good weight; blackberry, fleshy plums and again violets; a fair bit going on to attract interest. A very good line of acidity and some puckering tannins to suggest that this will be at its best in 5 – 7 years with carefull cellaring. The finish is good, but perhaps a bit hollow on the mid palate, but that is a small criticism of a ~$25 wine. I really enjoyed this.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

sch5252 wrote:2012 Wynns Cabernet Sauvignon (Black Label), Coonawarra

After a disappointing 2012 V&A Lane Shiraz the other day, I thought I would take a look at this. I pulled out of the wine fridge in the AM and decanted an hour before dinner. Quite a muted nose, not really giving anything except for a touch of oak and cassis. With some vigorous swirling, I was trying to tease something out of it, but overall the wine was quite ‘flat’, both on the nose and palate. There was a glimpse of Coonawarra fruit; cassis & dark fruits, the oak was present but not overpowering, most notable was the dusty drying tannins, but there was no ‘oomph’ to the fruit, I would say overall it was restrained/subdued. Not sure what to make of this really. I think it misses the mark. Majella is a far better prospect for the 2012 vintage.

Im having the 2012 majella cab now. It simply hasnt moved since release. So tight and closed. Wonderful wine, but have to wait a long time. I have a doz more, so see how it goes.

Agree on the wynns black label. I cracked one 6 months ago and was very dissapointed. I have bought a few of them and have put them WAAAYYY in the back of the cellar for 10+ years. It was either that or dump them on the secondary market. Only the lineage stopped me. Lets hope they come around....one day

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Rossco wrote:
sch5252 wrote:2012 Wynns Cabernet Sauvignon (Black Label), Coonawarra

Im having the 2012 majella cab now. It simply hasnt moved since release. So tight and closed. Wonderful wine, but have to wait a long time. I have a doz more, so see how it goes.

Agree on the wynns black label. I cracked one 6 months ago and was very dissapointed. I have bought a few of them and have put them WAAAYYY in the back of the cellar for 10+ years. It was either that or dump them on the secondary market. Only the lineage stopped me. Lets hope they come around....one day

Based on Rooman's comments on the 2014 BL Cab I will check it out. Based on a few comments I've heard around the place Cabernet in SA faired very well in 2014 across most regions due to cooler end to the season.

Opaline

Post by Opaline »

I popped a bottle of non-vintage Codorníu Clasico 1872 Cava to go with my chicken curry tonight. It's quite fruity with plenty of freshness & a good balance between sweetness & acidity. It's not bad value for $12 a bottle actually.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

1952 Monopole Gewutraminer Grande Reserve, Álsace, Colmar
This 1 bottle probably makes me the forum expert on 52 Gewurtz. High fill, but the cork is slightly loose and has to be pushed in. After decanting its the dark orange colour which I would expect with age. As with similiar aged Chenin and Sauternes there is a tangerine marmalade taste, but its silky and after a few minutes some Lychee fruit makes an appearance. Unlike the old chenins I have drunk though, there is no sense of terrior and so while it is drinkable and we can all wow at a wine that is older than any of us, its a survivior rather than a star.

2001 Fusion V, De Toren, South Africa
Loved here in Europe, this shows why South Africa is often referred to as a mix of the Old and New world. Underneath there is lovely ripe chocolate and cassis fruit, while on the nose its incredibly complex, with all the aromatics of a 20 year old top Bordeaux. Classy stuff. Comes in a Pavie style bottle though, which is a bugger to store in the fridges, so this is the last bottle I'll own. Shame.

1983 Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon, Sepplt
Very high fill. Old cork comes out in 1 go and on pouring you can see that its an old wine. Oldest Auz Cab I have drank, and its absolutely beautiful. There is a touch of old tea, but its the restrained, perfectly balanced casis fruit that seduces the palate. Sublime and while there is lots going on, its so drinkable that the bottle empties after half an hour or so. Have one other bottle and its going to be drunk while I'm by myself

1998 Mallea, Majella
Bit of a comedown after the other 2 reds. This was by far the youngest tasting. Powerful, with some oak still showing, this was just a little bit simple and clumsy. The alcohol poked its nose through as well. Last bottle of this and I actually wish I had bought more of the standard Cab instead.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

I'm amazed at some forumites wondering why their 2010/2012 Coonawarra reds are muted or still taste a bit sour. I still find that my 2004 Wynns reds taste like that until they've had considerable air time. Leave the bloody wine alone until its had at least 10 years and then give it some decant time on top........
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

NectarOfTheGods

Post by NectarOfTheGods »

A lot more Cabernet lately,

A lot of Wynns, had my birth vintage a few weeks ago, 1988, still going strong. Mostly the younger ones though, 2004-2012.

I had a great Kalleske last week, current release Moppa 2013/2014.

Any new interesting wines popping up that I should try?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Luke W wrote:I'm amazed at some forumites wondering why their 2010/2012 Coonawarra reds are muted or still taste a bit sour. I still find that my 2004 Wynns reds taste like that until they've had considerable air time. Leave the bloody wine alone until its had at least 10 years and then give it some decant time on top........

+1 Luke...very sage advice...if that was the case and no surprises that 4-6 year old Coonawarra's have closed up shop and gone on a long holiday, more than half my cellar would be tipped down the sink.

I though I might try a 98 BL soon...still might be too early?

Stupidly, crazily, foolishly doing or at least attempting dry July :shock: :evil: :oops:
Only 20 days to go...but a pre-release Wynnsday tasting, plus a Wild Duck Creek tasting in the last week of the month will make this bloody hard.
Will have to go into a couple of August days to make up.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

rooman

Post by rooman »

phillisc wrote:
Luke W wrote:I'm amazed at some forumites wondering why their 2010/2012 Coonawarra reds are muted or still taste a bit sour. I still find that my 2004 Wynns reds taste like that until they've had considerable air time. Leave the bloody wine alone until its had at least 10 years and then give it some decant time on top........

+1 Luke...very sage advice...if that was the case and no surprises that 4-6 year old Coonawarra's have closed up shop and gone on a long holiday, more than half my cellar would be tipped down the sink.

I though I might try a 98 BL soon...still might be too early?

Stupidly, crazily, foolishly doing or at least attempting dry July :shock: :evil: :oops:
Only 20 days to go...but a pre-release Wynnsday tasting, plus a Wild Duck Creek tasting in the last week of the month will make this bloody hard.
Will have to go into a couple of August days to make up.

Cheers
Craig

Craig

I agree with Luke. Many of the decent Cab Savs from both Coonawarra and MR need at least 10-12 years before they are ready to emerge from their slumber. Of course having a cellar with enough wines to allow one to wait that long is separate issue. I've been drinking the 98 BL for a while now and there are no problems opening it now. I have sadly started giving the 03 BL case the occasional nudge.

Mark

ReclineWithWine

Post by ReclineWithWine »

Bremerton Selkirk Shiraz 2003

Wasn't expecting too much from this $20 bottle at 13 years of age. I was wrong. Although the back label suggests drinking this young or cellaring it for up to 4+ years it is in fact still drinking superbly right now. Its youthful colour is a preview of what follows - big and juicy Langhorne Creek Shiraz with plenty of fruit left in the tank. The only slight distractor is some minor warmth from the alcohol. Forgivable though. This could easily go for another 5+ years in the right storage conditions.