Cool Climate Shiraz:TVs Clonakilla SV; Craiglee & Cote R

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Neville K

Cool Climate Shiraz:TVs Clonakilla SV; Craiglee & Cote R

Post by Neville K »

Australian shiraz is a broad church: a rainbow of diverse and important trajectories from the bold and thunderous Barossa so valued internationally to the silky cool climate elegant wines of Craiglee, Castagna, Giaconda Warner and the emerging superstar, Clonakilla shiraz viognier.

Just how good are the Australian "Rhone " lookalikes?
I thought I would have a mini-look and a provisional assessment, notwithstanding it is based on one Rhone (of excellent provenance) to merely callibrate the palate, oh and a
1985 Joseph Perrier Champagne to commence proceedings. My brother generously acted as chef in preparation of commencing his sea change from Economic Institute Director to trainee kitchen hand/chef.

1985 joseph Perrier Champagne en magnum
It has always bemused me that DM brings in this champagne with very little fanfare or respect given to it by the champagne drinking public. it is dismissed as being a bit of a frivolity like Mumm, or Piper Heidsieck and lacking the marketing nous of Veuve or Moet or the respect of Roederer or Pol Roger or Billecart for instance.
This was in fabulous condition. A lot of bang for the bucks ($60~ 1988 price) with freshness, but mature creamy yeastiness.

1994 Guigal Cote Rotie
Fading in colour and texture, this is a wine entering its mature age. It has wrinkles, but shows graceful lines. Good length and a good wine it had all the musty earthiness one associates with gout de terroir without revealing any pong. 1994 was an average year and the fruit lacks clarity, definition and power. Drink now- 2007.

2001 Clonakilla shiraz viognier
This has the unmistakable stamp of class. A sip of Guigal Cote Rotie and a sip of this immediately suggested the batting order. This is a world class No 3: the Guigal's job was to protect the top batsman in the lineup. Tastes of velvet, white pepper, cloves and cinnamon. This has beautiful harmony and balance. It is a cracker: and a shiraz for Burgundy lovers.

2003 Clonakilla shiraz viognier
Very precocious. This wine is a fresh puppy. Exotic spices leap out of the glass. Whereas the 2001 has a gravitas about it this has an enticing youthful exuberance. Multi faced and far more viognier influenced it is rich, heady, round, and fleshy. For the lifestyle journalists this was WOTN, but for me it was a points win to...

1990 Craiglee shiraz
Much has been written about this wine and for very good reason: is it the best Craiglee ever or will 2000 come to rival it? In any event this wine had the advantage of aged complexity. I have every confidence this will drink well into 2020. White pepper abounds unravelled with very soft and tight grained tannins. Just beautiful.

3 red wine drinkers. Gender biased.
A 1998 Tahbilk Marsanne was also in the mix, and the sauce, which was a lesser example of what the brand can produce.

Neville K

Rory

Clonakilla.

Post by Rory »

Neville,

The question on everyones lips, or mine, is how are the Clonakillas going to age, and where are they going to go, apart from in my tum?

Have you tasted the '97 Craiglee, and how does it compare with the'90?

Rory

Neville K

Re: Clonakilla.

Post by Neville K »

Rory wrote:Neville,

The question on everyones lips, or mine, is how are the Clonakillas going to age, and where are they going to go, apart from in my tum?

Have you tasted the '97 Craiglee, and how does it compare with the'90?

Rory

Good point Rory, re 1997 Craiglee. I did forget it. It too is an outstanding wine, perhaps more muscular than 2000 and 1990, but I think I prefer the 1990/00 by a shade. Not having had them side by side I reserve my right to change my mind!

2001 Clonakilla SV: I would confidently predict a long and propitious future. The structure is excellent. It has weight, balance and firm but supple backbone. It augurs well.

2003 Clonakilla SV: It is such a luscious fruitbomb, it is harder to discern its structure. But it has richness allied with savoury depth. It is very early days, but is clearly related to its older well established 2001 brother. Given the family resemblence I will back it in.

In other words I find the hype on this wine thoroughly justified.

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Would agree that Clonakilla will age. I had the 2000 Clonankilla recently and although quite delicious, it was still quite youthful also. Lovely Raspberry-Blackberry fruit and served blind, most picked it as Rhone.

regards
Chris

Rory

Post by Rory »

Neville,

"Propitious"!!!???

Im a very busy man, could you start using more simple english so I don't have to go hunting the meaning in the dictionary!

Typical legal eagle!

Rory

Neville K

Re: .

Post by Neville K »

Rory wrote:Neville,

"Propitious"!!!???

Im a very busy man, could you start using more simple english so I don't have to go hunting the meaning in the dictionary!
Rory

Perhaps a good menu word?

the OED states:

"propitious, a.[adjective]

1. Disposed to be favourable; well-disposed, favourably inclined; gracious.

b. Indicative of, or characterized by, favour; of favourable import; boding well.

2. Presenting favourable conditions; favourable, advantageous.

Hence propitiously adv., in a propitious manner; propitiousness, the quality or fact of being propitious. "

All part of winewank 301.
Neville K

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

2001 Clonakilla SV versus Cote Rotie 2001 would be very interesting.

Having tried the Clonakilla, and many of the reputable Cote Roties from 01, I believe the Clonakilla would be right up there- eclipsed by only a few of the Northern Rhone Top Gun's.