Help! Which Wine Cabinet should I choose?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
WineLover

Help! Which Wine Cabinet should I choose?

Post by WineLover »

I had a financial windfall recently and decided to splurge most of the money over $10,000 on a wine cabinet/wine cellar and a LOT more bottles of wine. I've done some research on the various brands available and I would like to request opinions from people who own a wine cabinet. If money is not an objection,which brand would you choose and which ones would you avoid like the plague? This is my first time purchasing a wine cabinet and I hope I dont get hoodwinked by a dealer.

I'm currently choosing from Eurocave, U Line, Viking, Marvel, Sunpentown, Vinotemp, Haier, Kenmore, Avanti, Danby, Cavavin, Vintage Keeper, La Sommeliere or Vinotheque. With so many choices, I have no idea on which brand to pick. Another option I'm also considering is getting a wine cellar instead, however I'm utterly clueless on the types of cooling units etc. out there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Grant Dodd

Post by Grant Dodd »

Have a look at www.cellaringwine.com.au , a good site with a lot of info about such things.

Cheers

TORB

Post by TORB »

Looks to me like you may be in the US as many of those brands are not sold in Oz.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

graham

Post by graham »

I'd built if I was you. Insulated cold room up to 15 cubic meters for $4000 and a Fondis cooling unit for $ 2600. Custom racks for another $1000. I did this about 2 years ago and have never looked back :D
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

jacques

Post by jacques »

I got two Eurocave in HK and one Vintec here in Australia. I would say the Eurocave is much much better. But the price is at least 50% more.

Glen G

Post by Glen G »

Graham, any chance of posting a pic of your wine cellar (and anybody else for that matter - I would but Kennards isn't so nice to look at! :cry: )

Winelover, Gavin (the board janitor) had some Vintecs on special here up till yesterday, I think if you look down the posts you may see the message.

Cheers
Glen

merlot 128

Post by merlot 128 »

I have seea very good cellar here in Perth. it was a 5*5 m Tin shed with 100m coolroom panels on the inside and a beer coolroom unit on the back
is sits a 13dec all year out side with no shade. Room for about 1000 case of wine when full. ( Not there yet at about 450). the whole thing cost about $3000.

A good place to get good colling unit is a comerical Reg unit who work in Pub as you can get cheap unit that are quiet and vey effective and cheap to run
merlot 128

graham

Post by graham »

Glen G wrote:Graham, any chance of posting a pic of your wine cellar (and anybody else for that matter - I would but Kennards isn't so nice to look at! :cry: )

Winelover, Gavin (the board janitor) had some Vintecs on special here up till yesterday, I think if you look down the posts you may see the message.

Cheers
Glen

Having no IT savy I'll give it a go tonight and post tomorrow. Might be a fun discussion topic.....after all we men like to compare size :twisted:
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

Winelover

Post by Winelover »

After posting for information on choosing a wine cabinet, one of the more experienced posters at another wine forum replied to do a search for wine cabinets. I was amazed by the amount of useful information I received from searching through the archives of the forum and have decided to get a Vintage Keeper.

However while I was browsing through all the old posts, it occurred to me that a great deal of other wine beginners could also benefit from the useful information if they ever wish to purchase a wine cabinet.

As I'm currently the webmaster of Fine Wine Guide, I would be able to compile all the information on the website in an easy-to-understand manner and save others the trouble of searching through old posts.

Thus, I would like to request humbly for the help of all those lucky enough to own a wine cabinet to do a quick review on their wine cabinet and answer the simple questions posted below and either e-mail your answers to url@fine-wine-guide.com or just post them below. The product review will have a byline stating clearly you as the author and a link will be provided to your own site if you wish.If you're lucky enough to own two cabinets, feel free to write two reviews. Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide any reward for your assistance except a glass of wine if you ever choose to visit me.

Here are the questions:

Firstly, provide the brand of your wine cabinet.

1.What is the total Capacity of your wine Cabinet and is it actually possible to reach the total capacity advertised?

2. Is the wine cabinet durable, does it need to be repaired often?

3. How is the customer and repair service if your wine cabinet breaks down?

4.Would you consider the wine cabinet value for money considering the price and total cap. of the wine cabinet?

5.What are the materials used for this particular wine cabinet and is the wine cabinet difficult to assemble?

6.If you had to rate this wine cabinet out of 10 stars, considering the (Total Cap, Value for money, Durability and Repair Service + other factors) how many stars would you rate it?

Lastly, I would like to thank every person who fills this form out for your invaluable help in helping wine beginners like me!

Warm Regards,
Peter

TORB

Post by TORB »

Sniff, sniff, what is that revolting smell in the air?

Why it is a dose of cleverly cooked up SPAM!

What a pathetic excuse for "research." Fine wine guide" has a complete section of wine cabinets and guess what, they are even advertised on the site.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Winelover

Post by Winelover »

My apologies to anyone if you think this is SPAM. However I would like to give what I believe is a reasonable explaination.

Firstly, the "advertisements" on the site which you have seen is Google Adsense. The revenue which is less then $30 a month helps to pay for hosting etc. I would also believe the term "advertisements" is incorrect as I do not promote any products etc. on the site. The ads which you saw just help to pay for the hosting and I DO NOT sell any products. I believe my site is mostly educational with hardly any commercial aspect involved.

Secondly, I believe that the section on wine cabinets is not complete. It only talks on the general features of a wine cabinet. My main objective now is to compare and contrast the different brands of wine cabinets.

My previous post was to ask other users who might own wine cabinets to just rate their own wine cabinet. This would serve to allow others who wish to purchase a wine cabinet to make a more informed choice. Please note that I DO not promote any particular brand of wine cabinet. I'm just trying to build up an informative site for others. If you try to search for "wine cabinets reviews" over the Internet, you'll mostly get a lot of sites who are have wine cabinets for sale, however there is no feedback at all from customers who are using this product.

I hope this explaination is satisfactory to the members of this forum. However, if the moderaters feel I'm Spamming, then please delete the posts.

Post by Guest »

Torb, I visited your site and from it I gathered that you are probably an expert on wine. Could you recommend any sites which offer reviews on different brands of wine cabinets? If you know of such a site on the Internet, then I'll just offer a link to it from the wine cabinets page and save myself the hassle.

P.S. the site www.cellaringwine.com.au does not work. .

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Torb, I visited your site and from it I gathered that you are probably an expert on wine. Could you recommend any sites which offer reviews on different brands of wine cabinets? If you know of such a site on the Internet, then I'll just offer a link to it from the wine cabinets page and save myself the hassle.

P.S. the site www.cellaringwine.com.au does not work. .

drop the au.
it is cellaringwine.com

TORB

Post by TORB »

Winelover,

Now you have to admit that from an "outsiders perspective", this looked pretty suss.

1. The thread is started with requesting advice on wine storage cabinets.

2. After some posts you come back with "After posting for information on choosing a wine cabinet, one of the more experienced posters at another wine forum replied to do a search for wine cabinets. I was amazed by the amount of useful information I received from searching through the archives of the forum and have decided to get a Vintage Keeper.

However while I was browsing through all the old posts, it occurred to me that a great deal of other wine beginners could also benefit from the useful information if they ever wish to purchase a wine cabinet."

3. You also say "As I'm currently the webmaster of Fine Wine Guide, I would be able to compile all the information on the website in an easy-to-understand manner and save others the trouble of searching through old posts."

4. Now all that is very laudable but when I went to your site, the first two paragraphs on your home page say "To learn more about appreciating fine wine, there are two options. You can find information on wine cabinets,fine wines over the Internet. Or you can can attend an expensive 1-day course. Advice on wine cabinets can also be found here.

At this website, we help to demystify the process of serving fine wines, storing fine wines in wine cabinets, complementing fine wine with food etc."

5. And of course there is the advertising (not endorsed by you) for wine cabinets on your site.

So, in summary, you come here and ask for advice and then it turns out your own web site is, in theory already giving it and has advertising supporting cabinets. Its a fairly logical conclusion, given the sequence that it looked like spam.

You site may primarily be an information site and free and for obvious reasons I applaud that, however I am sure you can understand why it looked like spam.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Mike

Post by Mike »

check out the Kitchener at www.kitchenerwinecabinets.com.au ! It's cheap, maintenance free and reliable.