Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Scotty vino

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by Scotty vino »

2015 Primo La Biondina Colombard.
bottle 10 of a case.
been the house go to white quaffer over the summer.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Scotty vino wrote:2015 Primo La Biondina Colombard.
bottle 10 of a case.

How good is this wine? And what stupendous VFM. :D

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

TravisW wrote:
Scotty vino wrote:2015 Primo La Biondina Colombard.
bottle 10 of a case.

How good is this wine? And what stupendous VFM. :D

for the coin it's fantastic.
good quality quaffer indeed.
Another VFM winner from the Vale....
2012 Lost Buoy Cliff block Grenache.
A little ripper as well.
Cracked one just now.... :D
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

2010 katnook merlot. Cracking wine and in a really good place. Acid is in check, lighter body, plums and star anise. Not oak dominant at all, just a really nice wine.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Quick visit to Australia.

2001 Cluny was really interesting. Loaded with complexity and very pleasant drinking ( 13% ). 92pts

2007 Sevenhill Cellars Saint Aloysius Riesling was an utter delight. Big and rounded, superb complexity in an unctuous texture which trails off in a delicate finish. 93pts

2012 Giant Steps Chardonnay was a new experience for me. I liked the elegance and restraint of the wine within an all round powerful delivery loaded up with plenty of interest. New style of Oz chardonnay? Good stuff. 91pts +

2003 Ben Schild Reserve Shiraz . Structurally hanging on by a whisker with plenty of ultra ripe, hot vintage shiraz fruit which dissipates quickly on the palate leaving a shell of heat. 83pts

2007 Grosset Springvale Riesling . Precise and refined, backward and improved overnight. Worth a gamble in the hope it may develop some aged, varietal nuances but it may live lost forever in a dumb, adolescent phase. 88pts+

"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

JamieBahrain wrote:Quick visit to Australia.

2001 Cluny was really interesting. Loaded with complexity and very pleasant drinking ( 13% ). 92pts

2007 Sevenhill Cellars Saint Aloysius Riesling was an utter delight. Big and rounded, superb complexity in an unctuous texture which trails off in a delicate finish. 93pts

2012 Giant Steps Chardonnay was a new experience for me. I liked the elegance and restraint of the wine within an all round powerful delivery loaded up with plenty of interest. New style of Oz chardonnay? Good stuff. 91pts +

2003 Ben Schild Reserve Shiraz . Structurally hanging on by a whisker with plenty of ultra ripe, hot vintage shiraz fruit which dissipates quickly on the palate leaving a shell of heat. 83pts

2007 Grosset Springvale Riesling . Precise and refined, backward and improved overnight. Worth a gamble in the hope it may develop some aged, varietal nuances but it may live lost forever in a dumb, adolescent phase. 88pts+

From memory the 2007 vintage in Clare Valley was fairly average. Maybe a reason the SpringVale is a little lacking?
I noticed in the pic the SpringVale bottle looked somewhat chilled too. I was almost going to question the serving temp
of it but after seeing the massive effort you put into serving prep and temps in past posts..... I'd say you are all over it. :wink:

felixp

Post by felixp »

hmm, might also be that Grosset rieslings are some-what over-rated. :wink:
Nice article in Winefront, covering a heap of rieslings from two excellent vintages... as is often the case, the Grossets were in the middle or towards the bottom of the pack.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2009 Cirillo The Vincent Grenache Its been a while since I have a straight Grenache. Served chilled out of the fridge (Sydney's summer continues) - Red berry fruits with a touch of spice, Nice mid week quaffer, worked in well with my pasta. Enjoyable, drink now.

2013 Tbilvino Tsinandali A wine from Georgia, made from Rkatsiteli & Mtsvane grapes. (Yep I have never heard of these either). Decided to try this after buying a Saperavi from the same producer. Priced around $20, a dry white wine, that definitely needs food. Quite unique - nearest equivalent being a drier Pinot Grigio. Interestiing, however not a great deal of complexity, something I won't be buying any more of.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Scotty vino wrote:From memory the 2007 vintage in Clare Valley was fairly average. Maybe a reason the SpringVale is a little lacking?
I noticed in the pic the SpringVale bottle looked somewhat chilled too. I was almost going to question the serving temp
of it but after seeing the massive effort you put into serving prep and temps in past posts..... I'd say you are all over it. :wink:

Hi Scotty

Yes, that's just condensation as I pulled the wine out of the fridge for the picture. When drinking, it was brought up to a good temeperature in the glass.

Personally, I think Grosset makes some of the best rieslings in the country when consumed young- the fruit purity, weight versus delicacy and precision is amazing. Their house style is distinct with age and they seem very slow developers. I'm not surprised as Felix mentioned, they don't fair so well in verticals, which can often be unfair to more unique expressions.

The Saint Aloysius Riesling was amazing- could have rated higher if not served in a BBQ environment and muggy BNE weather. It's development and maturity was unique, full and complete with amazing complexity- Clare riesling is too often just a sound proposition in the cellar.

Teobaldo Cappellano

bigtinnie

Post by bigtinnie »

Tried a Morris Rutherglen Dutif (2010) last night after a recommendation from someone on here.
Wow. Mouth drying tannins masked everything for me. Absolutely massive. My wife who likes a 'slurpable' smooth wine asked if 'there was something wrong with it'. Said she much preferred the previous nights Barwang Shiraz much better. :)

Rickowa

Post by Rickowa »

Mini Vertical Magill Estate. 90, 92, 93, 94.
All in astonishing condition, some slight brick developing in 92 and 93.
Took a full 2 hours to open up, fascinating to watch them reveal more and more layers.
90 and 94 definite winners. 90 at its best probably, 94 good for another 3-5.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

bigtinnie wrote:Tried a Morris Rutherglen Dutif (2010) last night after a recommendation from someone on here.
Wow. Mouth drying tannins masked everything for me. Absolutely massive. My wife who likes a 'slurpable' smooth wine asked if 'there was something wrong with it'. Said she much preferred the previous nights Barwang Shiraz much better. :)

They are terrific wines aren't they. So much fun to drink, and they will/should age for ages.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

2012 Lost Buoy Cliff block Grenache.
good juice. 1 bottle left now. :(

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

First bottle of Noons 2014 12 bells.
I must admit that I do not drink a lot of grenache, but a very nice wine albeit in a much lighter style than a Rockford Dry Country or even some of the other offerings from Mclaren Vale. A smoky savoury character with a firm finish.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

phillisc wrote:First bottle of Noons 2014 12 bells.
I must admit that I do not drink a lot of grenache, but a very nice wine albeit in a much lighter style than a Rockford Dry Country or even some of the other offerings from Mclaren Vale. A smoky savoury character with a firm finish.

Cheers
Craig

Craig agree with your comments. Thought this was a very smart release considering the price! You're a much more patient man than me ... we have nearly gone through our allocation already :shock:
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

1996 Galah Cab Merlot: An oldie but very good. Beautiful full bodied dark fruit yet mellow and velvety. Very near its peak, arguably better than it's Wendouree cousin.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

felixp

Post by felixp »

2005 La Croix de Gay
brilliant wine from this minor Chateau in Pomerol. Loads of blackberry fruit, violets and mint, with anise in the background. Great length, full of interest. A remarkable success for this house this year. Probably will still improve in the short term. 93+

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Tim Adams Riesling 2010 Clare Valley. Light yellow in colour, slight sherbet alongside lemon/lime on nose, intense lime and acidity on cleansing palate. Went very well with satay.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Sally's Paddock 2002- Started a busy wine extending with great length. A little air time and a rich layer of dark berry fruit emerged, earthy, faintly vegetal notes with peppery shiraz noted in the blend. Sweet and plump on the front and mid palate, texturally consistent though lacking freshness and vibrancy which could be the auction status of the wine. Melded sweet fruit with integrated new oak works well in the finish.

91pts

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Good to hear and thanks for the note.
Have a couple of cases of these...Sally's P is a cracking wine

Cheers
Craig

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

2009 Domaine de la Pousse d'Or, Clos de la Bousse d'Or, Volnay 1er Cru

Really nice :)

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

WAwineguy wrote:2009 Domaine de la Pousse d'Or, Clos de la Bousse d'Or, Volnay 1er Cru

Really nice :)

Nice..!
Had early vintage, complex stuff.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

2008 Fourrier Gevrey VV I had followed a number of reports on this wine over the last 4 years, most commenting about excessive acid. I tried one last night and am happy to report that whilst the acid spine is certainly there, it isn't intrusive. The wine is mellowing very nicely with the perfect balance (to me) of fruit and hints of secondary development. Very happy with this result.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

2011 Chateau Haut Brion, Le Clarence de Haut-Brion

Their second wine - still very young, but delicious nonetheless!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jaseziv

Post by Jaseziv »

Just poured into the decanter, my Italian journey starts tonight...

2012 Pio Cesare Barbera d'Alba
Envious of the Angel's share

Rory

Post by Rory »

2006 Kooyong Faultline Chardonnay Diam

For me, sets close to a new benchmark for Peninsula Chardonnay, and definitely way up the scale Australia wide.
Still looking quite youthful yet with all the complexities that come with good cellaring and age. Length of flavour is very good.

Reminiscent of the Penfolds Bin 5A.

Now looking forward to the Ferrago of the same year!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Pennies Bin 28 2001. In a good spot, but can not see any further improvement.
Thick crust with some nice secondary characters, still some primary fruit. Gritty tannin.

Cheers
Craig

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

2012 Wynns Black Label Shiraz

Always a reliable drink - well, pretty much anything from Wynns IMHO.

Pej

Post by Pej »

2011 Thousand Candles

I've been drinking this bottle over the last couple days and it hasn't changed much in that time. It's definitely unlike any wine I have had before and can see why it divides people. But it is interesting and it has grown on me. A very funky, herbaceous, medicinal, cherry cola flavour dominates and it's pretty high in acid. But there is a lot more going on, although it's hard for me to put my finger on. I payed less than half price and even if I was offered the same price again I don't know if I'd take it, not of the same vintage anyway. But I did enjoy it and I am looking forward to see how the rest travel over time.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

04/05 Wendouree Muscat of Alexandria.

Third bottle from a half case and the best. Silky and unctous, with a taste of ripe tangerine and a hint of raspberry. Sipping wine.

Not a fan of Baumes de Venise, which is the style, but this was great.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum