Wine Clubs

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Redav

Wine Clubs

Post by Redav »

After reading about the Penfolds Kalimna Club copping a panning, I was wondering what wine clubs people are in and (aside from directly supporting a winery) whether there any / many that are worth it in terms of offers / savings?

For me I'm on the Rockford mailing list but that's it. I've picked up a few Tyrrell's in the past through a work colleague who has private bin membership (tempting to join).

sjw_11
Site Admin

Re: Wine Clubs

Post by sjw_11 »

I am in the Tyrrell's private bin club. I used to be a member with Briar Ridge (nice enough wines but not quite good enough on the full range to justify so I dropped out) and Hugh Hamilton in McLaren Vale (who have a good quality across the range, nice to get the mixed dozens and then also get access to some of their oddball wines like the straight Saperavi).

Tyrrell's the discounts are substantial but you have to buy current vintage which is 3Y early for the reds and 5Y early for the Semillon's give or take. The others are like many wineries typically 20% discount or so but you commit to buy some of everything they make and in quarterly 6 packs, dozens or more.

Still waiting to perhaps one day be granted access to the Stonewaller club. In terms of mailing lists I am on Rockford (but with no benefits), Tahbilk (no special process to join, good cheap offers and back vintages), Yarra Yering (closed list, modest 10% discounts), Petaluma (no min purchase, some "members" specials and back vintages), Grosset (open list, pre release availability, no discount and pricing is moving strongly up), Marius (closed list, I think, no special discounts but competitive pricing), Wirra Wirra (free list, some discounts/offers, I think can join a regular purchase program for bigger discounts)...

I think generally, the wineries that offer a regular purchase wine club are always excellent value IF you really like their wines across the board. I probably wouldn't re-join any of them as I prefer to drink more broadly. The Tyrrell's program is excellent if you have the cellar space. Otherwise I think it pays to join as many free and open lists as possible without purchase commitments as many wineries will have back vintage or special offers to clear stock and so you will still get bargains (but you might have to wade through a lot of emails). Also getting the vintage emails is a good reminder to buy and keep your verticals going!
------------------------------------
Sam

simon1980

Post by simon1980 »

Tyrrells...great value in Private Bin, especially on Sems like Vat1. Also, the only way to get some of the single vineyard reds, which I suspect are some of the wines we will talk about in 30 years, wishing we'd all bought more... Oh, and I've found the customer service to be excellent.

Marius...super wines, and Roger is a top bloke. Money well spent.

Apart from that, I can't see the point.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Too many clubs expect you to buy at least 12, more often 24, of their wines per year every year to be a member. I only buy 12 bottles or more regularly from two wineries - Marius and Wild Duck Creek Estate. Yes I sometimes buy 12 or more wines from good cellar doors (Burge Family Winemakers springs to mind) but more often than not my limit is six - Tyrells is perfect for folk like me!

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

I prefer wine clubs where you can order what you want and there is a benefit outside of the discount.

That benefit is usually in the form of wines you can't normally get without being on the list...

So Tyrrells is a good one, Rockford, Marius now that their list is closed...Wendouree....

I also like there is enough of a variety that I don't end up being too many of one thing..but that is just my personal preference...for those that like buying 6, 12+ of one thing then that won't really matter.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

IMO, The only reason to be part of a 'wine club' is if it gets you access to gear which does not retail anywhere else, Tyrrell's being the only example that I personally care for.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

I didn't realise I was on so many mailing lists until I wrote them all down.

Best's Great Western - Magnum Club
Standish - mailing list
Mayford - mailing list
Marius - mailing list
Hoddles Creek - mailing list
Castagna - mailing list
Rockford - mailing list, not a Stonewaller
Wendouree - mailing list, no crayon marks
Sami-Odi - mailing list
Blue Poles - mailing list

Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Can be a bit of a trap if you are starting out IMO, in clubs where you have to buy minimum amounts to stay on the list.

If your tastes change over time, you end up with a lot of stuff you don't care for so much any more. Not everyone's tastes do change, but it does happen to a significant number of us. The problem of course is you can't forecast into the future whether they will change or not. You can always auction if they are blue chip wines, as I did with some of my Wendourees. But not all wines retain or increase their value over time.

Barney

Post by Barney »

Used to be in a few, Kay's, Seppelts, Morris, Epis etc but found that after many years was affecting the diversity of wines in the cellar at a time when I was looking to do the exact opposite so gave it all up about five years ago and even having done so these wines are still well and truly over represented in my collection.

With a limited wine budget need to be more discerning about what I buy and had to move away from spending a fair proportion of it on the same old faces every year, more interested in value and choice now.

rens

Post by rens »

Marius is the only one for me. As far as I am concerned it is not a club. It operates like a list now. Great wines. Great prices.
I've looked at other 'wine clubs' but like others the minimum buy thing gives me the shits. IfI really want their wine I'll buy it at auction even if I have to pay a bit more.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

vovo

Post by vovo »

I am on a few mailing lists where there is no requirement to buy, I am a member of only one club with a minimum purchase requirement (Thomas Allen) but i can choose the make up of my 2 six packs and I get a decent discount, also the premium wines are now member only, also if i visit the cellar door and purchase, this can count towards my purchase requirement. I like the flexibility offered and the wines, so for now that works for me.
The others are Marius, Wendouree, Rockford for regular purchases and a few other wine clubs with no minimum requirements but they occasionally offer good deals like half bottles or museum stock at reasonable prices e.g. St Hallet, Petaluma or Tahbilk.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Not a big fan of minimums but if there is enough stuff you want then great..or you can split a membership..

rossmckay

Post by rossmckay »

sjw_11 wrote:I am in the Tyrrell's private bin club. I used to be a member with Briar Ridge (nice enough wines but not quite good enough on the full range to justify so I dropped out) and Hugh Hamilton in McLaren Vale (who have a good quality across the range, nice to get the mixed dozens and then also get access to some of their oddball wines like the straight Saperavi).

Tyrrell's the discounts are substantial but you have to buy current vintage which is 3Y early for the reds and 5Y early for the Semillon's give or take. The others are like many wineries typically 20% discount or so but you commit to buy some of everything they make and in quarterly 6 packs, dozens or more.

Still waiting to perhaps one day be granted access to the Stonewaller club. In terms of mailing lists I am on Rockford (but with no benefits), Tahbilk (no special process to join, good cheap offers and back vintages), Yarra Yering (closed list, modest 10% discounts), Petaluma (no min purchase, some "members" specials and back vintages), Grosset (open list, pre release availability, no discount and pricing is moving strongly up), Marius (closed list, I think, no special discounts but competitive pricing), Wirra Wirra (free list, some discounts/offers, I think can join a regular purchase program for bigger discounts)...

Grosset is closed now.

Coldstream Hills amphitheatre club gives super discounts. Not sure of status.
http://vinsiders.com.au

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

rossmckay wrote:
sjw_11 wrote:... Grosset (open list, pre release availability, no discount and pricing is moving strongly up)....

Grosset is closed now.

Maybe that explains how the Gaia has gone up by about 30% in price over the past couple of years...
------------------------------------
Sam

trufflequeen

Post by trufflequeen »

[/quote]

Grosset is closed now.

[/quote]

Really? I can't seem to get off the list. I haven't bought anything from Grosset for over 5 years (I just can't justify the steep prices), yet still receive snail mail every year and regular calls from over enthusiastic wine sales consultants. I don't do well with clubs that enforce yearly minimum bottle buys. I prefer flexibility. At the moment, the only lists I buy regularly from are Wendouree, Wild Duck Creek and Hahndorf Hill.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Ozzie W wrote:I didn't realise I was on so many mailing lists until I wrote them all down.

Best's Great Western - Magnum Club
Standish - mailing list
Mayford - mailing list
Marius - mailing list
Hoddles Creek - mailing list
Castagna - mailing list
Rockford - mailing list, not a Stonewaller
Wendouree - mailing list, no crayon marks
Sami-Odi - mailing list
Blue Poles - mailing list

Had a 2011 Best's Bin 1 last night. It's really come together rather nicely after 5 years of aging. But it didn't excite me as much as this label used to and that's saying a lot as it used to be my favourite winery in the country. So after due consideration, I've cancelled my club subscription at Best's. I've got 40 bottles of Best's Shiraz in the cellar (some Bin 0, Bin 1 and Thomson Family). That's 2 bottles a year for the next 20 years. I think that'll do me.

I'm also thinking about not ordering from Wendouree any more, even though I just got on the mailing list for the first time last year. It'll take 10-20 years to age the 15 bottles I've already got, so I don't see the need to buy more. Might cull Rockford as well.

Gee! My palate has changed so much since I posted my first message back in July 2014.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Is a wine club different to being on a mailing list?
Hmmm.

I'm on tons of mailers. Couldn't say how many.
The thing is I'm a regular visitor to most of the regions in SA.
So when I'm at any given cellar door I always sign up (if i haven't already).
In most cases you really can't lose.
Ok so there's often a stream of emails my inbox could do without.
But if you can put up with that you'll nearly always end up in front if you splurge on a particular winery.
Some obviously have more benefits than others.

And some mailers are different to others. Some seem quite free and easy whereas others require your first born
child and 25 years of loyalty before you can even smell the stuff.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

DJ1980

Post by DJ1980 »

Ozzie W wrote:
Ozzie W wrote:I didn't realise I was on so many mailing lists until I wrote them all down.

Had a 2011 Best's Bin 1 last night. It's really come together rather nicely after 5 years of aging. But it didn't excite me as much as this label used to and that's saying a lot as it used to be my favourite winery in the country. So after due consideration, I've cancelled my club subscription at Best's. I've got 40 bottles of Best's Shiraz in the cellar (some Bin 0, Bin 1 and Thomson Family). That's 2 bottles a year for the next 20 years. I think that'll do me.

I'm also thinking about not ordering from Wendouree any more, even though I just got on the mailing list for the first time last year. It'll take 10-20 years to age the 15 bottles I've already got, so I don't see the need to buy more. Might cull Rockford as well.

Gee! My palate has changed so much since I posted my first message back in July 2014.

I am the same. My tastes have changed so much. I will remain on Wendouree's list as the wine seems more approachable than it was in the 90's. I have enjoyed every wine I have had from them, I will be ordering less in coming years though.

Rockford is a weird one for me. I am a 1st year Stonewaller but the Basket Press this vintage didn't do much for me. I looked at the 04 Basket Press last weekend and felt the same. This was my favourite wine at one stage. I'll gauge how I feel next vintage and cull if need be.

I will remain on Mount Mary's list... The wines are SO good IMO.

Tyrrells is the next I must consider.

Diq

Post by Diq »

Scotty vino wrote:Is a wine club different to being on a mailing list?

And some mailers are different to others. Some seem quite free and easy whereas others require your first born
child and 25 years of loyalty before you can even smell the stuff.

Most people here seem to have gone the mailing list way. A Wine Club is generally a commitment to buy a certain amount of wine P.A as opposed to places like Rockford with the Stonewallers club.

The only wine club which requires a commitment that I am a part of is the Gundog Estate Cellar club. Its a quarterly pack that I find quite affordable/great value for money and they are great with substitutions so it's pretty hard to be dissapointed. Of the 6 bottles that i recieved for my March pack 3 were options I had chosen to substitute. Have struggled to find any other wine clubs that appeal to me in terms of benefit vs lack of flexbility.

The amount of mailing lists I am on is ridiculous. Most are pretty quiet at least so I may only hear from them twice a year.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Scotty vino wrote:A Wine Club is generally a commitment to buy a certain amount of wine P.A as opposed to places like Rockford with the Stonewallers club.

There isn't a commitment per se to be on a mailing list, but many of them will strike you off the list if you don't buy regularly from them. So in effect, these particular mailing lists aren't much different to a wine club, except that you may have a bit more control over the wines you purchase.

Redav

Post by Redav »

Does anyone know anything about the Henschke Wine Club and whether it offers anything better on pricing / delivery?

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Wendouree - would like to thank the board for helping me with this one. Enjoy every bottle so far.
Rockford - non stonewaller, been buying wine for around 3 years. Enjoy the rifle range and rod and spur mostly. Hoping to get to stonewaller soon.
Thomas Allen - Newish hunter valley producer that has a great Cab Sav (docter) and Shiraz (alasdair). Their membership ranks are swelling so could be closed off soon. Strongly suggest u get to in Hunter.
Lakes Folly - just love these cabs after 10 years.
Tyrells - there do seem to be price benefits here. I get the Vat1 and sometimes dabble in reds.
Greenock Creek - get a 12pk once a year. Wondering if i should continue. Can be big and bruttish. Going to see how these cellar.

ReclineWithWine

Post by ReclineWithWine »

Clubs, mailing lists (whatever you want to call them) that I buy from:

Sami-Odi
Noon
Wendouree
Hurley
Mount Pleasant
Serrat
Greenock Creek (but how much longer?)
... and most preciously Sine Qua Non (US)

Redwine&Rum

Post by Redwine&Rum »

Great result yesterday. Received an email from Roger welcoming me to the Marius Wine Club. To say I am excited is a massive understatement.
Still waiting on that elusive day to become a stonewaller now.

VINH NGUYEN

Post by VINH NGUYEN »

ReclineWithWine wrote:Clubs, mailing lists (whatever you want to call them) that I buy from:

Sami-Odi
Noon
Wendouree
Hurley
Mount Pleasant
Serrat
Greenock Creek (but how much longer?)
... and most preciously Sine Qua Non (US)

SQN deliver to Aust?

ReclineWithWine

Post by ReclineWithWine »

No, unfortunately SQN only deliver to a US address (Iike most US wineries do). Luckily I got to travel to the US for work a few times in the past and was able to have my allocation sent to the US office of the company I work for. I then took them back home as checked luggage. Plus I also have a brother residing in NYC who brings them over when he comes to visit Australia. Bit of juggling going on there though with 2 allocations each year and less frequent US travel on the horizon now that I have a young daughter. No doubt I'll run into logistical challenges at some stage. Will cross that bridge when I get to it though. Wouldn't want to miss out after an 8 year hibernation on SQN's waiting list.

VINH NGUYEN

Post by VINH NGUYEN »

Ahh righto
Wish i had a us address lol
Finally got onto the colgin mailing list but no means to buy em

pokolbinguy

Post by pokolbinguy »

Any experiences with Saddler's Creek's wine Club - "Club Equus" ???

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

I'm happily not on any mailing lists / in any wine clubs. Plenty of wine out there to buy, and in the quantity I want. Reading some of the Americans posting on the subject, it seems like a drug for many, one they can't quite seem to quit the habit of.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Not only Americans Ian :wink: plenty here methinks.
Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day