Sparkling Red recommendations?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
bigtinnie

Re: Sparkling Red recommendations?

Post by bigtinnie »

So I tried the Bleasdale Sparkling Shiraz last night. I thought I'd start there as I'm yet to have a Langhorne Creek red that I don't like.
It was too sweet for my taste though. Funny how I say that now - I managed to finish the bottle.
I will try the Seppelt next. May not be as sweet.

timnit

Post by timnit »

2012 Seppelt Sparking Shiraz... Can get it for $16 if you look closely enough... Amazing value!

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

As you are working your way through the value for money sparkling reds, consider trying Primo Estate Joseph Shiraz. There was an earlier link in this thread, and it is outside the stated price range - however at around $70 a good wine to try, especially with Christmas & NYE just around the corner , perfect excuse to blow your budjet.

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

I'm a bit of a fan of Sparkling Shiraz and have one each Christmas day.
Everyone at the table knows this is my treat and they leave me alone to enjoy it.

My favourite is the Leasingham Classic Clare - over budget but you can get it for under $50.
Others I like are the Seppelt show reserve, the Joseph and Rockford Black Shiraz.

Within budget what about the D'Arenberg Peppermint paddock.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

Bytown Rick

Post by Bytown Rick »

While outside the OP's original price range, does anyone have a recent experience with some of the older Barossa Valley Estate E&E Black Pepper Sparkling Shiraz? Have a 1996 and a 1999 tucked away. Past prime?

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

timnit wrote:2012 Seppelt Sparking Shiraz... Can get it for $16 if you look closely enough... Amazing value!

Agreed, and my friends are going through my stash very quickly. I've stocked up on 2012 and 2013 in response to the Christmas onslaught. Good stuff, reliable (well, maybe not 2011) and great VFM
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Waiters Friend wrote:
timnit wrote:2012 Seppelt Sparking Shiraz... Can get it for $16 if you look closely enough... Amazing value!

Agreed, and my friends are going through my stash very quickly. I've stocked up on 2012 and 2013 in response to the Christmas onslaught. Good stuff, reliable (well, maybe not 2011) and great VFM

Believe it or not, there are retail outlets around where I live still selling the 2007 release. I can't resist when they have to discount it to get it moving...it's drinking perfectly well, too.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

I drank a 2007 last night. Nice. Savoury, opened up really well. Good drink.
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

griff

Post by griff »

Another contender at the $30 level would be the Coates.

Seppelt 2012 has been a cracker. Any thoughts on the 2013?

Oh and if you get lucky then Rumball has quietly released many of his show reserve wines under the NV label. No way of telling from what I can gather so if you like it then go back and get the rest.
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

griff

Post by griff »

Now if we want to crack the $30 barrier then there are a few choices. Love the Joseph and the Rockford. Charles Melton also works as does Kaesler and Leasingham. Langmeil is alright. The 1997 Rumball Show reserve was amazing - think he is onto 2002 now. Oh, the better half just reminded me that the Kay's was excellent indeed. 3 Rebeccas from her and no recount! Just needs better distribution...

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

paulf

Post by paulf »

I tried an interesting sparkling red this evening. It was a non vintage sparkling Saperavi from Gapstead in the victorian high country.I'm guessing that it would be the only example of sparkling saperavi in Australia (probably the world for that matter). Their website says it is $37
The wine itself was on the sweeter side but you could detect the tannin keeping it in check. Not super complex and probably a little sweeter than I prefer, but still made for some pretty pleasant drinking on a warm summer night.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Can thoroughly recommend the 2006 Classic Clare Sparkling Shiraz we had today for Christmas lunch. Nose of dark blackberry compote, old wood and tobacco. Red and black berries, cola and smoke, grip and savoury finish. A very complete wine. I could drink this for a lonnnnnnnng time.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

swirler

Post by swirler »

Michael McNally wrote:Can thoroughly recommend the 2006 Classic Clare Sparkling Shiraz we had today for Christmas lunch. Nose of dark blackberry compote, old wood and tobacco. Red and black berries, cola and smoke, grip and savoury finish. A very complete wine. I could drink this for a lonnnnnnnng time.

2005 here.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

swirler wrote:
Michael McNally wrote:Can thoroughly recommend the 2006 Classic Clare Sparkling Shiraz we had today for Christmas lunch. Nose of dark blackberry compote, old wood and tobacco. Red and black berries, cola and smoke, grip and savoury finish. A very complete wine. I could drink this for a lonnnnnnnng time.

2005 here.

Any good?
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

swirler

Post by swirler »

Superb! Top notch fruit, lovely spice complexity. Long. Ready to drink.

Hickup!

AaronL

Post by AaronL »

Tried a home made sparkling Shiraz. Put a young oaky Shiraz in freezer for 4 hours. Then decanted into sodastream machine. Topped up with a dose of vintage port. Put in some CO2, but fizzed over and made a bit of a mess. Good flavour, but bead very subtle and lacked persistence. I think this recipe needs some fine tuning. If only in the name of science
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

dave73

Post by dave73 »

Another vote for the 06 Leasingham Classic Clare here. As good as I've had. Went the 12 Bests for Xmas day. Not too shabby either. Give it another few years

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Have a six-pack of this tucked away in the cellar so thanks for the note.

We just had the 1992 Leasingham Classic Clare Sparkling Shiraz release. Last bottle unfortunately. Upon removing the foil capsule, there appeared to be a bit of leakage so was a little worried about the contents inside. However, all doubts were soon replaced with wonderment. Initially had some funky aroma's but these soon dissipated to aroma's of dark fruit, leather and earth. Still had a persistent small bead. Pallet had a smooth, creamy texture, with plenty of savoury notes finishing long with a touch of fruit sweetness. Definitely peaked but well cellared bottles should keep for a few more years yet. A joy to drink.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

griff

Post by griff »

Andrew Jordan wrote:

Have a six-pack of this tucked away in the cellar so thanks for the note.

We just had the 1992 Leasingham Classic Clare Sparkling Shiraz release. Last bottle unfortunately. Upon removing the foil capsule, there appeared to be a bit of leakage so was a little worried about the contents inside. However, all doubts were soon replaced with wonderment. Initially had some funky aroma's but these soon dissipated to aroma's of dark fruit, leather and earth. Still had a persistent small bead. Pallet had a smooth, creamy texture, with plenty of savoury notes finishing long with a touch of fruit sweetness. Definitely peaked but well cellared bottles should keep for a few more years yet. A joy to drink.

Glad to here - loved this vintage but the last bottle last year on NYE was corked. Replaced with a 2006 so nice to hear good reports.

cheers

Carl

griff

Post by griff »

AaronL wrote:Tried a home made sparkling Shiraz. Put a young oaky Shiraz in freezer for 4 hours. Then decanted into sodastream machine. Topped up with a dose of vintage port. Put in some CO2, but fizzed over and made a bit of a mess. Good flavour, but bead very subtle and lacked persistence. I think this recipe needs some fine tuning. If only in the name of science

I understand the poor persistence but why the subtle carbonation? Another thought is to reduce the oak content for the flavour profile ;)

Chris H

Post by Chris H »

2013 Seppelt Original is good QPR. Not just a sweet rush of fruit. Pity they reverted back to cork from crown seal a few years ago though. Presumably to appeal to the bogan market who don't understand superior seals.

mjs

Post by mjs »

paulf wrote:At that price point, I rather like the Balnaves Sparkling Cabernet. The Bees Knees from Rymil isn't bad either. The Bests isn't a bad option and I'd look at some of the Rutherglen shiraz/durif sparkling

^^ +1 for the Balnaves Sparkling Cabernet, good juice. But I would say that, wouldn't I? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

AaronL

Post by AaronL »

griff wrote:
AaronL wrote:Tried a home made sparkling Shiraz. Put a young oaky Shiraz in freezer for 4 hours. Then decanted into sodastream machine. Topped up with a dose of vintage port. Put in some CO2, but fizzed over and made a bit of a mess. Good flavour, but bead very subtle and lacked persistence. I think this recipe needs some fine tuning. If only in the name of science

I understand the poor persistence but why the subtle carbonation? Another thought is to reduce the oak content for the flavour profile ;)

Subtle carbonation due to limitation of sodastream. Injection of CO2 makes the solution volatile. Perhaps needs multiple injections of small doses with settling in between as opposed to one long injection. Last experiment was done outside as first experiment yielded results of sparkling Shiraz solution on walls and ceiling :cry:
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

griff

Post by griff »

AaronL wrote:
griff wrote:

Subtle carbonation due to limitation of sodastream. Injection of CO2 makes the solution volatile. Perhaps needs multiple injections of small doses with settling in between as opposed to one long injection. Last experiment was done outside as first experiment yielded results of sparkling Shiraz solution on walls and ceiling :cry:

Nothing wrong with a bit of modern art. You could call it 'Red Poles' :)

p.s. Flaming Lips in a couple of weeks. Reminds me of your byline once upon a time!

swirler

Post by swirler »

Another 2005 LCCSS up against a 2009 Best SS. No comparison. The Leasingham blew it out of the water. Depth of flavour, richness, complexity. God I love that wine!

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

swirler wrote:Another 2005 LCCSS up against a 2009 Best SS. No comparison. The Leasingham blew it out of the water. Depth of flavour, richness, complexity. God I love that wine!

I'll be opening a 2006 tomorrow night. Can't wait!

swirler

Post by swirler »

Best sparkling shiraz made every year according to Halliday.

Meefun

Post by Meefun »

Coates would be good, very well balance.
Black Queen from Peter Lehmann, off dry, fine bubbles, around $40, very hard to get from retail shop.

mickg

Post by mickg »

Hi All,
Bit of a newbie to the wine scene. I haven't drunk many sparking reds but really enjoyed Thomas Allen (small hunter valley vineyard) The Boss - Semi Dolce Rosso. I was up at the cellar door late last year and acquired a few - from memory was about $20/bottle. Drinks well with BBQ's in summer. Cheers

Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Opened my last 2005 Leasingham Classic Clare. Looverly. Pity they are not made anymore :(