Cabernet-Merlot

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Michael McNally

Cabernet-Merlot

Post by Michael McNally »

Hello

I tend to avoid Cabernet-Merlot Blends. I don't like straight Merlot in general either. Not sure why, but I associate them with 'cheap' wine, green vegetal aromas and flavours and a lack of depth.

I had a slightly altered view last night when drinking the Vasse Felix 'Filius' Cab/Merlot. Still some of the green flavours I dislike, but better than others I've had previously. Tonight I really like it. The green capsicum has resolved on the palate, though the nose still has a slight vegetal edge.

Anyway, a long-winded way of saying perhaps I have judged Cab/Merlot on the wrong wines. Or perhaps I have been drinking them too young. Or both! I would be happy to hear some tips for decent CM blends in the $20-40 range as a way of seeing if I am missing something.

TIA

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

swirler

Re: Cabernet-Merlot

Post by swirler »

Green/capsicum flavours usually come from cabernet not merlot. Cheap wines may be an excuse to ditch some unripe cabernet fruit and cabernet-merlot are often cheaper wines (plenty of exceptions, of course - Bordeaux, Yarra, etc.,) In those cases, the merlot is there to mask that green element. For me merlot has plummy, pruney or, at it's best, black cherry flavours. Just fork out a few hundred on a good Pomerol and you'll change your mind about merlot forever!

felixp

Post by felixp »

Grosset Gaia in good vintages is stupendous, but now I think is around $50/bottle. Try the 09 or 10, both cracking wines IMO, and quite Bordeaux-like. For me, best Cab-Merlot blend outside Margaret River, but a lot of those are North of $100.

maybs

Post by maybs »

The Woodlands Cab Merlot and Cab Franc Merlot are both good value wines. Had a 13 the other night and whilst it could use more time it did not taste green at all. RRP is about $25 but often see them on special around $20, and I recently picked some up at auction for the stupid price of $13 a bottle. I know there are other forumite fans as well.

I find half decent fab merlot blends to be good BBQ wines/casual wines. There is generally something in them to please everyone, they are often a bit softer when young.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

felixp wrote:Grosset Gaia in good vintages is stupendous, but now I think is around $50/bottle. Try the 09 or 10, both cracking wines IMO, and quite Bordeaux-like. For me, best Cab-Merlot blend outside Margaret River, but a lot of those are North of $100.

I agree, Gaia is really good in good vintages but a bit too green in lesser vintages for my tastes, however I think he's ditched the merlot component from 2009 onwards to be 75/25 Cab Sav / Cab Franc rather than his usual 75/20/5 with the 5 being merlot. Either way, still a great wine.
instagram.com/wine_pug

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

maybs wrote:The Woodlands Cab Merlot and Cab Franc Merlot are both good value wines. Had a 13 the other night and whilst it could use more time it did not taste green at all. RRP is about $25 but often see them on special around $20, and I recently picked some up at auction for the stupid price of $13 a bottle. I know there are other forumite fans as well.

I agree. Both lovely wines. Underpriced for my tastes.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

pc79

Post by pc79 »

Hacker wrote:
maybs wrote:The Woodlands Cab Merlot and Cab Franc Merlot are both good value wines. Had a 13 the other night and whilst it could use more time it did not taste green at all. RRP is about $25 but often see them on special around $20, and I recently picked some up at auction for the stupid price of $13 a bottle. I know there are other forumite fans as well.

x3 on the Woodlands. Current vintage is excellent across the board. All the entry levels [unch above for their price point. The Margaret is fantastic drinking even at RRP of around $40

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

pc79 wrote:
Hacker wrote:

x3 on the Woodlands. Current vintage is excellent across the board. All the entry levels [unch above for their price point. The Margaret is fantastic drinking even at RRP of around $40

Without being too commercial, can do the Woodlands Cab Franc Merlot and Cabernet Merlot, at forum rates, for <$20 pb currently.

Let me know, could be a great way to get back into Cabernet Merlots, both wines are outstanding, the Cab Franc Merlot a touch more 'exotic', for want of a better word!

regards

Gavin Trott

via collins

Post by via collins »

Interesting point.

The 2001 and 2002 Voyager Estate CMs are stunning, age really well, always perform.

And 4th or 5thing the above, Woodlands are so darned good, so take whatever Gavin's offering!

Cheers,

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

pc79 wrote:

The 2012 Margaret is an absolute cracker! I have 5 left i have put away.....very hard not to open them.

The 2013 Standard Cab/Merlot needs a LOT more time. I didnt like it straight out of the bottle, but I know it will be excellent with age.

Another budget Cab/Merlot i liked was the Forester estate. Agree about the Vasse, great wine as well, but i think the Forester may just
pip it in drinkability.

Of course the Voyager is brilliant.... but then up there in the $$

Blue poles Allouran (cab franc/merlot) is another winner

kaos

Post by kaos »

Apart from Woodlands, also might consider the likes of Balnaves, Cape Mentelle Trinders, Moss Wood Amy's Blend, current release Seppelt Moyston I had a few weeks back at cd was outstanding.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Another case of the 13 Woodlands Cab Merlot at $12/bottle from that auction site. I keep pinching myself. Have picked up previous cases at $9 and $11 bottle.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

I, like you Michael, rarely drink Cab-Merlot's either. But I did think that the Blue Poles Allouran was a very good drink for the money. I know Redstuff (Brett) raves about them. The Cape Mentelle Trinders is OK as is the Woodlands, which seems a popular choice here.

From what I can gather a lot of top end Cabernet's have a splash of Merlot anyway. I believe (but happy to be corrected) that wineries don't have to label a grape if it's under 15% of the volume. If this is the case we've probably had more Cab Merlot's than we think :lol: .

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

pc79 wrote:
Hacker wrote:

+4 on Woodlands. From entry level Cab Merlot to the flagship Cab ... big fan. In fact have over +60 bottles of the 2013 Cab Merlot in the cellar due to the ridiculous auction pricing at the moment.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Matt

Post by Matt »

Was v impressed with lenton brae's cm

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

I love Cab Merlot - the merlot gives the cabernet a softer edge IMHO. My favourites are Petaluma Coonawarra, Primo Estate Joseph Moda, and Voyager Estate (the last possibly being Australia's best straight Cab-Merlot and a really good buy at less than $60 from some sites).

Extending it to the Cab Merlot dominant "Bordeaux blends" I would also include the "must-have" Cullen Diana Madeline and Mount Mary Quintet.

I agree the Woodlands Margaret is a nice one too - if I'm not mistaken it also has a touch of Malbec in it.

Michael McNally

So I thought I had posted some notes here, and have deleted the word doc I wrote them on, but a week ago I tried the 2011 Leeuwin Estate Prelude Cabernet Merlot and the 2011 Woodlands Margaret Cabernet Merlot (yes it had Malbec as well).

These wines completely changed my view of Cabernet Merlot, particularly the Margaret - which may be because of the Malbec. But I would drink the Prelude any night of the week as well. Followed them up with a Deep Woods a couple of nights later and while not as good as the Prelude or the Margaret, an excellent wine. I think for $40 I might expect more in terms of length, but that's quibbling.

Now to find my sweet spot (in terms of price!) I have picked up a 2012 Amelia Park, 2012 Flametree and a 2013 Forester Estate. Will report back on my 'research'.

Thanks for all the comments by the way!

Cheers

Michael

via collins

Post by via collins »

I reckon it is the malbec in that Margaret Michael.

The 2007 was stunning, and I'm really struggling to keep my hands off the 2008 - I've found in most MR favourites that the 08 edges out the very enjoyable 07s....

Glad your "work" is progressing well, keep updating us.

Michael McNally

Continuing on my project. Work for the forum......

2012 Amelia Park Cabernet-Merlot
Very dark red. Savoury nose of BBQ and oyster sauce. Good fruit, Blackberry, plum with tobacco, Good intensity, Lovely mouthfilling tannin suggests this will age well as does the inkyness of the finish.

2012 Flametree Cabernet-Merlot
Very dark red. Intense blackberry nose with some floral/brush notes. Mouthfilling fruit with great tannin. Good intensity, A touch of maltiness from the oak on the finish. Medium length.

These were very similar wines and although i tried them side by side over a couple of hours I think I would be hard-pressed to tell them apart. The AP has a little more complexity (something slipped into the blend under 15% perhaps?) whereas the FT might have a little more fruit. Both inferior to the Prelude and the Margaret previously sampled, though perhaps about the same as the Deep Woods.

Still loving the investigation, Will try the 375mls poured off from both wines tomorrow night and report.

Cheers

Michael

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

Michael McNally wrote:Anyway, a long-winded way of saying perhaps I have judged Cab/Merlot on the wrong wines. Or perhaps I have been drinking them too young. Or both! I would be happy to hear some tips for decent CM blends in the $20-40 range as a way of seeing if I am missing something.

Not sure if I like the blends, but myself and Mrs CE like the occasional straight Merlot. But we're not particular fans of the namby-pamby soft-sell Merlot, we like one that picks you up by the scruff of the neck and makes a bit of a statement. So I guess I haven't really noticed any 'green' notes
* Peter Dennis 2007 and 2006 are drinking very nicely at the moment. We've had a few of these and the vintages are pretty consistent and good, but we've rarely had one more than 10 years old as the mysterious 'Merlot fairy' seems to drink them all.
* We also like Scarpantoni's Merlot from just down the road.
* Bird in Hand is also nice from the Adelaide Hills.
* Clarendon Hills and Brown Brothers Patricia were also good wines, but I'm not sure if they are still being made.
* The Howard Park Cab/Merlot was a good drink last time I tried it.
* Irvine is also nice, but I'm just not the sort of person who regularly pays $100 bottle for wine. But on occasion...
* Petaluma, Pepper Tree, Leconfield and Parker do nice Merlots, all from Coonawarra.
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."

swirler

Post by swirler »

+1 for Bird in Hand merlot. Adelaide Hills is a good region for merlot. I prefer cool climate merlot.

Michael McNally

Cloth Ears wrote:Not sure if I like the blends, but myself and Mrs CE like the occasional straight Merlot. But we're not particular fans of the namby-pamby soft-sell Merlot, we like one that picks you up by the scruff of the neck and makes a bit of a statement. So I guess I haven't really noticed any 'green' notes
* Peter Dennis 2007 and 2006 are drinking very nicely at the moment. We've had a few of these and the vintages are pretty consistent and good, but we've rarely had one more than 10 years old as the mysterious 'Merlot fairy' seems to drink them all.
* We also like Scarpantoni's Merlot from just down the road.
* Bird in Hand is also nice from the Adelaide Hills.
* Clarendon Hills and Brown Brothers Patricia were also good wines, but I'm not sure if they are still being made.
* The Howard Park Cab/Merlot was a good drink last time I tried it.
* Irvine is also nice, but I'm just not the sort of person who regularly pays $100 bottle for wine. But on occasion...
* Petaluma, Pepper Tree, Leconfield and Parker do nice Merlots, all from Coonawarra.

Yes quite happy with the Coonawarras you list. Would add the Raidis Estate.

Okay. Will try a couple of straight Merlots then if you insist!

Cheers

Michael