Sparkling Red recommendations?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
bigtinnie

Sparkling Red recommendations?

Post by bigtinnie »

I have grown to love my big reds but still don't have a great fondness for traditional sparkling (white) wine. To be fair I've never really tried anything terrific.
I'm keen to venture into the sparkling shiraz territory but I don't want the experiment to tarnish my opinion of the whole sparkling red variety should I pick a dud.
Any recommendations? Expect to be paying between $20 and $30 per bottle approx.
Thanks in advance.

dave vino

Re: Sparkling Red recommendations?

Post by dave vino »

Seppelt
https://www.seppelt.com.au/our-wines/sp ... ing-shiraz

Majella
http://www.majellawines.com.au/our-wine ... ing-shiraz

Seppelt is a bit more earthier I find, whereas the Majella is a bit more fruit forward, and bigger.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

I'm not much of a sparkling shiraz fan, but I quite enjoyed the Langmeil Sparkling Shiraz...
instagram.com/wine_pug

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

deejay81 wrote:I'm not much of a sparkling shiraz fan, but I quite enjoyed the Langmeil Sparkling Shiraz...

You sound like my Dad. Said he wasn't a fan of sparkling red until i reminded him of the Primo Joseph he drank with me.
"ah yes....that was great" he says
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Redwine&Rum

Post by Redwine&Rum »

Had a 2012 disgorged Rockford Sparkling shiraz. The first few bottles I had of this were really good. This one was beautiful on the nose, but very one dimensional and disappointing once we tasted it.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Scotty vino wrote:
deejay81 wrote:I'm not much of a sparkling shiraz fan, but I quite enjoyed the Langmeil Sparkling Shiraz...

You sound like my Dad. Said he wasn't a fan of sparkling red until i reminded him of the Primo Joseph he drank with me.
"ah yes....that was great" he says

Primo Joseph is awesome. Right up there with Seppelt Show Sparkling and Castagna Genesis as my all time favourites.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Redwine&Rum wrote:Had a 2012 disgorged Rockford Sparkling shiraz. The first few bottles I had of this were really good. This one was beautiful on the nose, but very one dimensional and disappointing once we tasted it.

Had the same issue with my bottles. The problem I found after some research is that (like most rockford reds) they need time. I laid my remaining
5 bottles down and will visit them again in a few years.

Back OT

My favourites:

Primo Joseph
Braydun Hill Crimson Silk
Rockford
Majella (when the dosage isnt too sweet)
Hollick Sparkling Merlot (only in good vintages)

A good quaffer is the Bleasdale.

I want to try the Teusner, Bests, Seppelt Show Reserve & the Leasingham Calssic Clare
and now its getting a bit warmer... I should probably go an buys some soon.

Would have been great to try the Barossa Valley Estate E & E when it was around!
Last edited by Rossco on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Where are people getting Primo Joseph and Rockford Sparkling for $20-$30??

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

dave vino wrote:Where are people getting Primo Joseph and Rockford Sparkling for $20-$30??

These aren't in the price bracket bigtinnie wanted. Wish they were!

bigtinnie

Post by bigtinnie »

Some great suggestions - thanks.
I'm a fan of Majella generally so I'll give that one a go along with the Seppelt. Didn't know Tuesner made one - I'll be sure to try that and I've read good things about the Bleasdale.
Looking forward to the weekend! Been invited to a Christmas/cocktail party type thing where the host is putting on upmarket type finger food (if there's such a thing). The sparkling red will be a nice change to my usual cab or shiraz.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Make sure you stick it in the fridge for a bit. I find they are always nicer with a bit of chill in them.

bigtinnie

Post by bigtinnie »

dave vino wrote:Make sure you stick it in the fridge for a bit. I find they are always nicer with a bit of chill in them.

Oh ok. I had assumed that they were meant to be chilled (like sparkling white I guess). Are you saying not to have it in the fridge all day? Just an hour or two?

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Sparkling red usually requires a bit of a learning curve and for me that took place when I tasted them at cellar doors on an early trip to Australia. For me the best examples were the savoury and aged examples. Seppelt's Original of course we all know of, but I also liked Lehmann's Black Queen and Garden Gully from Great Western. Haven't had much since then since there is a very poor selection here in Canada.

Personally, I would chill my sparkling red the same way I would any other sparkling. A light chill would only result in the wine soon reaching room temperature and I sense that it would detract from the appeal.

Mahmoud.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

bigtinnie wrote:
dave vino wrote:Make sure you stick it in the fridge for a bit. I find they are always nicer with a bit of chill in them.

Oh ok. I had assumed that they were meant to be chilled (like sparkling white I guess). Are you saying not to have it in the fridge all day? Just an hour or two?

It depends....hour or two, if a big group so everyone is only getting one/two glasses - pour, and put back in fridge for second round.

Smaller group with 3-4 glasses (bearing in mind you'll probably have flutes? so they don't hold much (although I prefer them in a white wine glass) then maybe an extra hour in the fridge and back in after each pour.

You want it chilled but not Pepsi-like cold otherwise the acid becomes a lot more prominent and you lose some of the softness.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Rossco wrote:Had the same issue with my bottles. The problem I found after some research is that (like most rockford reds) they need time. I laid my remaining
5 bottles down and will visit them again in a few years.

Agree totally ... however this goes against what Rockford tell it's customers ... that it is meant to be drunk relatively young. Hence all the complaints about leaking corks as I think most buyers what a few years bottle age on them. Go figure ...!
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Bigtinnie
If u want a good sparkling Shiraz at an affordable price it's hard to go by the Tahbilk Couselant range. For about $23 a bottle they're good value. I think the Rockford is a better wine at nearly 3 times the price but u can't quaff them like u can the Tahbilk.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Sh*t
Last edited by Luke W on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Bugg*r
Last edited by Luke W on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peynaud

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Bum
Last edited by Luke W on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peynaud

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

********its insisting I leave characters
Last edited by Luke W on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peynaud

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

WTF? - how do u remove a bunch of posts?
Peynaud

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Luke, the only way I know how is to go into the duplicate posts by hitting the "Edit" button and then delete the contents. Some leave it it blank, others write "dupe", while people like me go "oops!"

In your case there are three oops! Try it before some wine guy says "You can say that again!"

Mahmoud.

paulf

Post by paulf »

At that price point, I rather like the Balnaves Sparkling Cabernet. The Bees Knees from Rymil isn't bad either. The Bests isn't a bad option and I'd look at some of the Rutherglen shiraz/durif sparkling

kaos

Post by kaos »

I often buy Seppelts Original and Best's. I was up at Bress recently and got one of theirs for xmas lunch.

maybs

Post by maybs »

I didn't think I would like sparkling Shiraz but having tried the Primo last year I have bought some more for Christmas break this year. Have bought a few Rockford and Seppelt Show which are laying down. Some good Intel here, might pick up a few at the cheaper end and give them a nudge over Chrissy too.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

bigtinnie

Post by bigtinnie »

Thanks for so many suggestions everyone. I'll try a few and supply some feedback. Where to start though...............

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

bigtinnie wrote:Thanks for so many suggestions everyone. I'll try a few and supply some feedback. Where to start though...............

Why, at the beginning of course!

Cheers

Michael

In your price range Rumball do a pretty good version (and a Merlot as well) and second the Seppelt Original Sparkling Shiraz 2012
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

pokolbinguy

Post by pokolbinguy »

Brand spanking new Sparkling Cabernet;

http://www.saddlerscreek.com/cellar2u/i ... cts_id=414

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Luke W wrote:Bigtinnie
If u want a good sparkling Shiraz at an affordable price it's hard to go by the Tahbilk Couselant range. For about $23 a bottle they're good value. I think the Rockford is a better wine at nearly 3 times the price but u can't quaff them like u can the Tahbilk.

+1 for the Tahbilk Sparkling shiraz, however it needs 1 - 2 years age after you buy it.

Apparently Turkey Flat make a sparkling Shiraz.... now that is one i would love to try!