Cullen Cab Sav Merlot 2012

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Rocky

Cullen Cab Sav Merlot 2012

Post by Rocky »

I have been collecting patiently the Diana Madeline since 2007 but tonight is the 'second press', I believe, of the DM Cabernet fruit which goes into the Cab Sav Merlot blend. To be honest I didn't know what to expect as on one hand the professional critics are relatively favourably to Cullen however the forumites are generally ho hum to Cullen wines.

After a 2 hour decant I struggled to find a dominant nose. After Lots of swirling I was met with violets and soft dark fruits. Really a reticent almost feminine wine, shy, with soft dry fine tannins. I was really searching for more body but it never came. A good wine but that's all.

Am I missing anything? Have I done my dough with the DMs?

Mark

Chuck

Re: Cullen Cab Sav Merlot 2012

Post by Chuck »

Had my first DM recently. 2010 and was underwhelmed.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

swirler

Post by swirler »

Count me in as a minority Cullen fan if that's the case (is it really or just a small handful of posters' opinions?) Simply stunning wines across the range in recent vintages IMHO.

mse

Post by mse »

I am not sure, I think it's the matter of taste preference. I don't go vertical vintages for the same wine so I won't be able to provide a holistic review on the Cullen DM. Generally speaking, from my experience of a few vintages scattered across the last 10-12 years, when you compare the Cullen DM with other Margaret River benchmarks like Moss Wood, Woodlands and Xanadu, you may find that the Cullen is a bit more civilised as it may be a bit behind in terms of the fruit intensity.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

To be fair, i havent had a lot of cullen wine, but what i have had has been ok. Not mindblowing, not bad, and yes not the 'cult' wine experience i was expecting.

The 2012 DM was underwhelming for the price. Way too young, but still did nothing for me.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

mse wrote:I am not sure, I think it's the matter of taste preference. I don't go vertical vintages for the same wine so I won't be able to provide a holistic review on the Cullen DM. Generally speaking, from my experience of a few vintages scattered across the last 10-12 years, when you compare the Cullen DM with other Margaret River benchmarks like Moss Wood, Woodlands and Xanadu, you may find that the Cullen is a bit more civilised as it may be a bit behind in terms of the fruit intensity.

Interesting point. When i compare to other Wilyabrup Cabernets, namely Woodlands, Moss Wood, Woody Nook, Vasse Felix etc i am met with intense fruit and moderate to forceful tannins, however the Cullen Cabernet is the exception is that the fruit intensity is more sub-dued and supported by silky fine dry tannins. I would be interested in hearing anyone's opinion on why this may be the case.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I hope posters aren't getting confused between the wines. The Diana Madelaine is the flagship Cullen; however, I think the original poster is referring to the $40-ish Cabernet Merlot, not the DM. The 2012 DM, btw, is fabulous and will be even better in a few years.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

The 13's where released today.
Should be intresting, jesus, I mean mr haliday cliams there the best yet.
Bit more pricey tho ..

swirler

Post by swirler »

Boxes of Woodlands in my cellar. Happy to swap for Cullen if there are any takers.....

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Swirler, what do you see as the main differences between the Woodlands and Cullen Cabernets?

daz

Post by daz »

I had several bad experiences of cork-sealed Cullen wines, a Mangan 2003(?) red blend and an inaugural DM 2001, both more heavily TCA infected than any other wines I've ever experienced. I still have the last of the 6pk of DM 2001 but don't hold much hope for it being uninfected. I also had a suspect or two bottles of then current chardonnay, now (Kevin John), around that time. Those experiences made me leery of Cullen wines, the escalation of prices contributing to a lack of purchases since. But, on the strength of reviews and the now established use of screwcap seals by the winery, early this year I bought four bottles of DM 2012 which I've yet to taste, for about $80 each. I may open one next year to taste against the remaining DM 2001.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

daz wrote:I had several bad experiences of cork-sealed Cullen wines, a Mangan 2003(?) red blend and an inaugural DM 2001, both more heavily TCA infected than any other wines I've ever experienced. I still have the last of the 6pk of DM 2001 but don't hold much hope for it being uninfected. I also had a suspect or two bottles of then current chardonnay, now (Kevin John), around that time. Those experiences made me leery of Cullen wines, the escalation of prices contributing to a lack of purchases since. But, on the strength of reviews and the now established use of screwcap seals by the winery, early this year I bought four bottles of DM 2012 which I've yet to taste, for about $80 each. I may open one next year to taste against the remaining DM 2001.

Daz, $80 is a good buy for the 2012 DM, but hold off a couple of years before opening them. Is there a reason you haven't sent corked bottles of the 2001 back?
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

swirler

Post by swirler »

Rocky wrote:Swirler, what do you see as the main differences between the Woodlands and Cullen Cabernets?

Difficult to say in a few sentences!

daz

Post by daz »

Waiters Friend wrote:
daz wrote:I had several bad experiences of cork-sealed Cullen wines, a Mangan 2003(?) red blend and an inaugural DM 2001, both more heavily TCA infected than any other wines I've ever experienced. I still have the last of the 6pk of DM 2001 but don't hold much hope for it being uninfected. I also had a suspect or two bottles of then current chardonnay, now (Kevin John), around that time. Those experiences made me leery of Cullen wines, the escalation of prices contributing to a lack of purchases since. But, on the strength of reviews and the now established use of screwcap seals by the winery, early this year I bought four bottles of DM 2012 which I've yet to taste, for about $80 each. I may open one next year to taste against the remaining DM 2001.

Daz, $80 is a good buy for the 2012 DM, but hold off a couple of years before opening them. Is there a reason you haven't sent corked bottles of the 2001 back?

G'day Allan,
I did a few years later, end up getting replacements after the urgings of forumites in their responses to a big whinge online and an email exchange with Vanya. The early 2000s cork-sealed premiums from Cullen probably provided the impetus to move to exclusively screwcap seals. The replacement DM 2006 reflected the unfortunate vintage problem of difficulty in achieving optimal ripeness and the replacement Mangan was not as memorable as the first couple of vintages. I've mentioned before that my most memorable Cullen cab merl remains the 2000 regardless of vintage reputation, pending my tasting of the DM 2012.

Yeah, ~$80 is a good price for the DM. Also got a couple of Yarra Yering Dry Red No.1 2012 at a similarly good price. The purveyor offers select high-end wines at significant discounts of 20% or more, is very discrete as well as open to sourcing requested wines.

Cheers

daz