Wendouree Mailer

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Ozzie W

Re: Wendouree Mailer

Post by Ozzie W »

My credit card still hasn't been charged. My patience was wearing thin since I sent in my order form a month ago. I started worrying that my order got lost in the mail or whatnot.

Anyway, I just called up the winery and they were able to confirm they received my order form on 7 July. Was advised it will probably take a further 2 weeks before my order is processed.

calm

Post by calm »

Ozzie W wrote:My credit card still hasn't been charged. My patience was wearing thin since I sent in my order form a month ago. I started worrying that my order got lost in the mail or whatnot.

Anyway, I just called up the winery and they were able to confirm they received my order form on 7 July. Was advised it will probably take a further 2 weeks before my order is processed.

You have bought me great comfort!!
Craig S

TommyB

Post by TommyB »

simon1980 wrote:
Hunter wrote:I sent a letter to wendouree on monday to get on there mailing list. I recieved a letter back today with a order form.
Does this mean I can purchase this years wines ?

Yes...get it sent in, and I'm sure they will try to get some to you. I would heavily advise a mixed order of 12-18 bottles, with the aspiration that you get 6 (although you may get more...so be careful if spending $1K on wine by accident not the best financial move). I'd not bother ordering the Cab (it's definitely the hardest to get), but why not have a stab at the others? I have a feeling the wine that tends to get sent on a first order is the Shiraz Mataro...but I personally don't think it's a hardship (it's probably my favourite of the Wendourees).

Oh, and no CC charge for me yet. As I have got everything ordered for the past 4 years, I'm sure it will be on its way in time. I think the orders are processed by state...and this year VIC looks to be last...

Simon

I was a first timer last year and got some of the Cab but not the Shiraz or Malbec. I suspect the latter two are the most popular.

For those of us at the bottom of the list, I don't think there is much chance of getting a full order. I just tend order what I can afford and then write in that I would love a mixed dozen of anything if they are unable to do my order. I'm genuinely not fussed about what I get - I think the blends are as good as the straights, particularly the Cabernet Malbec

camw

Post by camw »

FWIW I tried 4 of these last night (Shiraz, S,Mataro, S.Malbec and the Malbec) and I didn't find them unapproachable or in a style that I would consider especially different to other vintages over the past 5-6 years. Shiraz the most obviously structured of the set but even then it had plenty of sweet fruit backing. My favourites were the Malbec and the Shiraz Malbec (Shiraz needs a little time to settle and soften).

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Do you think they're slightly more structured than earlier ones?

I thought the last years Shiraz especially was very unWendouree like..actually both the Shiraz Malbec and Shiraz were like that..and the Shiraz Mataro only slightly more Wendouree like...

Not tried the 13s but now I'm slightly disappointed...

camw

Post by camw »

Polymer wrote:Do you think they're slightly more structured than earlier ones?

I thought the last years Shiraz especially was very unWendouree like

Well when you say old style I'm thinking around the mid 2000s when people started feeling like they were more approachable. It's quite different to the 2011/2012 Shiraz in flavour profile (much less spice/stem) and it's probably a little more structured but I don't feel it is all that different to many of the wines over the last 10 odd years in overall style.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Ozzie W wrote:My credit card still hasn't been charged. My patience was wearing thin since I sent in my order form a month ago. I started worrying that my order got lost in the mail or whatnot.

I called too, about a week ago, for exactly the same reason - the lady confirmed they had received my order form and that I would get something, though not all (which is ok since I tried for 6 of each of the 6 reds!). However CC still not charged. Waiting patiently over here in WA.

mse

Post by mse »

Polymer wrote:Do you think they're slightly more structured than earlier ones?

I thought the last years Shiraz especially was very unWendouree like..actually both the Shiraz Malbec and Shiraz were like that..and the Shiraz Mataro only slightly more Wendouree like...

Not tried the 13s but now I'm slightly disappointed...

Hi polymer,

I rang up Wendouree Cellars earlier this week and asked for advice on which Wendouree red 13' is the most fruit-forward and on the sweeter spectrum (so that I could introduce that to my friend who loves honest, rich and sweet Barossa Shirazes). The office lady (Kirsten or Kristen?) said that the Shiraz/Mataro is the most fruit-forward of the bunch.

This gets really confusing... :?

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

It could be for 13s that is the case...I have tasted a grand total of 0 2013s so far...

trufflequeen

Post by trufflequeen »

Meanwhile, the first case of '13 Shiraz has now hit Langtons... :?

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

trufflequeen wrote:Meanwhile, the first case of '13 Shiraz has now hit Langtons... :?

Someone please buy one bottle, note the bottle number and dob them in. :twisted: Off the list in a blink of an eye. 8)

VINH NGUYEN

Post by VINH NGUYEN »

TravisW wrote:
trufflequeen wrote:Meanwhile, the first case of '13 Shiraz has now hit Langtons... :?

Someone please buy one bottle, note the bottle number and dob them in. :twisted: Off the list in a blink of an eye. 8)

lol at asking someone else to do it ... Do it yourself if you feel so strongly ...

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

my allocation turned up this morning. Sat delivery? surprised
Drink the wine, not the label.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

TravisW wrote:

From what I can tell, the numbers aren't unique...They're too old school and they're not into technology either...I think it would be great if so but to be quite honest, the secondary market helps them in a way...

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

True guys. I was being a bit facetious. That said, I feel for people (myself included :-) ) who are on the mailing list, some for many years, who don't get what they ask for and yet others flip on first sight. Mind you, they have probably been on the list for longer.

I guess I've always bought to drink, both short and long term, and have been fortunate enough to have room and conditions good enough to cellar. Auction houses are probably the only option for some people to try aged Wendouree.

Cheers, Travis.

mse

Post by mse »

I noticed that Winestar had the Cab/Mal 13' for $139.99 but already sold out, whereas the Cabernet still have stock at $119.99, strange....

Wonder if the Cab/Mal was crazily received compared to Cab. -_-a

Can anyone please kindly post the critics scores (besides JO's review on the Shiraz and blends) on the Wendouree 13' reds? Thanks.

trufflequeen

Post by trufflequeen »

JH:
- 13 Shiraz - 98 pts
- 13 Cabernet Sauvignon - 97 pts
- 13 shiraz mataro, shiraz malbec, cabernet malbec - 96 pts
- 13 Malbec - 95 pts

maybs

Post by maybs »

$140 per bottle?!?! :shock:
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

livcoll

Post by livcoll »

Gary Walsh gave the Cab/Malb 97+. Stated he thinks it is consistently their best wine. Said 2013 was 'remarkable, rediculously good. He also have the Shiraz Malbcex 95 and the straight Malbec 96.

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

I put my order in after 2 weeks for a mixed dozen and got 11 out of the 12 bottles I ordered. Nice to get some straight Cabernet. It's been a while. 2013 must have been a bumper crop for them.

-- George Krashos

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

My request went in 3 weeks ago and ordered 6 of everything. From the amount charged it looks like I got it all, which is a bit of a surprise. 5th year of ordering.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

TommyB

Post by TommyB »

TommyB wrote:
I was a first timer last year and got some of the Cab but not the Shiraz or Malbec. I suspect the latter two are the most popular.

For those of us at the bottom of the list, I don't think there is much chance of getting a full order. I just tend order what I can afford and then write in that I would love a mixed dozen of anything if they are unable to do my order. I'm genuinely not fussed about what I get - I think the blends are as good as the straights, particularly the Cabernet Malbec

Looks like I will have to eat my words - from the charge it looks like I got almost everything I ordered. Bit more $$$ than I wanted to spend but it's a nice problem to have. Really hoping some of the stright Malbec is in there.

vovo

Post by vovo »

Mine rocked up this morning, 3 of each of the reds. Tried the muscat last year, nice but not really my thing for a dessert wine.

Off to sleep now little ones.

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

Credit card got charged this morning.
Looks like I got 18 bottles which is most of what I ordered.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Current bid $127, estimated price $140-$160 :shock:

TommyB

Post by TommyB »

A question for those who have received theirs...Which of the 13s is the most approachable now? Most of my reading suggests it's the blends and to stay away from the Shiraz and Cabernet for a while.

Long story short, I will have to crack one before putting them to bed.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

TommyB wrote:A question for those who have received theirs...Which of the 13s is the most approachable now? Most of my reading suggests it's the blends and to stay away from the Shiraz and Cabernet for a while.

Long story short, I will have to crack one before putting them to bed.

The Cab Malbec would be worth a run.
Haven't tried it myself yet but reading a smattering of reviews it would be the one I'd open if I was gonna jump early.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Still waiting. I've got no fingernails left :?

Pej

Post by Pej »

WAwineguy wrote:Still waiting. I've got no fingernails left :?

I'm feeling your pain.

TommyB

Post by TommyB »

Ended up cracking the Malbec and double decanted. Whoa nelly, what a wine. Beautifully fragrant, lovely, long wine. Little bit acidic to start but soon relaxed. I got plum, mint, even a bit of ainiseed. Perfectly balanced too. You could happily drink this now but am looking forward to having the rest in a few years.