Uncorked

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Gavin Trott

Uncorked

Post by Gavin Trott »

Hello all

having a quiet read here of Uncorked, from the Age.

Interesting, what are your views on the wines chosen and promoted, and what could/should have been included?

Not sure about 'Best', but the 2003 Summers Chard from Grant Burge is very good.

The 96 Museum Elizabeth is also a beauty.

The Chapel Hill, interesting call, I tried it at the recent launch, thought it quite good, but best red, i didn't think so?

Noble One, well it almost always is!

Comments?
regards

Gavin Trott

TORB

Post by TORB »

I just read the red section and shook my head. :roll:

Looks like they are mainly (and to some extent understandably) going for the larger main stream producers. Not a lot of excitement factor in Uncorked now.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Yes its all a bit boring.
I did agree with the Scarpantoni 02 Cabernet, though. Great wine, and under $20 if you shop around. Best Cabernet in class at the last McLaren Vale show.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I agree though, that the 02 Noble One is possibly the best yet.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Mike Hawkins wrote:I agree though, that the 02 Noble One is possibly the best yet.

Ditto. I just loved this, a step away from the Noble One's I've experienced before and all the better for it.

Gavin Trott wrote:The Chapel Hill, interesting call, I tried it at the recent launch, thought it quite good, but best red, i didn't think so?

Agreed. I tried this at an instore a few weeks ago and quite liked it. I may buy some. but best red? thereis some knockout stuff out there right now, thats a big call,

cheers

Andrew

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Good topic Gavin - I agree the wines listed were mostly uninspiring and an odd, eclectic bunch taken as a whole.

What really got me was the comparison of Oz versus French by Peter Bourne - what does it prove to compare a youthful, still closed White Burgundy against a Leeuwin (which cellars well but also drinks well early), or a 2000 Bordeaux (which he even says in his note was "tight and unevolved") against a 2002 Cullen (which was atypically approachable for Cullen). As for comparing Noble One to Rieussec - pleeease !!

I could go on, but I guess what else could you expect from a guy who put together the most pathetic cellar imaginable for the Prime minister to show off our wines to overseas guests ??

How does he get any gigs at all I have to wonder ?

regards
Chris

Aussie Johns

Post by Aussie Johns »

Yes, the "comparison" between ye olde world and Australia was nothing more than a joke.

Beychevelle at $170 a bottle!!!!!! A quick check on the offers show this was worth about $80 at the time, pretty similar in price to the Cullens. As much as I admire the WA cabs, 2000 Bordeaux is simply light years ahead. A ridiculous comparison.

I suspect the author either has no palate whatsoever, or wrote the article under some "pressure". Implying the Arras was a close thing to any 1996 Champagne, perhaps the best vintage in the past 50 years, is absurd.

Trying to compare the Bannockburn to a 1999 Burg just displays the author's ignorance of French wines- come back in 2015 and compare at a time when the Burg was designed to be drunk.

We make magnificent shiraz, wonderful cabs, superb red blends, terrific chards, rieslings and other whites, the world's best fortifieds, and the occasional great aperitif. However, we do not yet know how to make world class pinot or champagne with the resources available to us, and nothing I have yet tasted has convinced me that we are even close to closing the gap on our French friends in these areas.

A large percentage of Aussie wines are truly world class, but in a totally different style to virtually all of the Frog stuff. Trying a comparison to see which is the better is like putting Jodie Henry next to Ryan Bailey and then deciding which is the better athlete by having a pole vault competition between the two.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I was also disappointed by Uncorked red wine list. It is difficult to know what they tried and what they left out. The $10-15 category was the only list that seemed ok.

Although most readers of uncorked would be looking for a quick and dirty guide to wines readily available at the local bottlo.

The guide is probably more useful for its recipes.

Post by Guest »

I only read the red section of course but uninspiring is the nicest thing I could say about their selections.

I would say it's aimed a a lowish common denominator of reader who reads it believing it to be the true gospel, takes it off to their retailer, buys up big, then goes home and convinces himself it doesn't get any better than this!

Too many great wines to name that missed out, as for the best red, well what a joke. I've tried it and think their best red wouldn't rate on my scale.

If you want great wines at small prices try the 2002 Mamre Brook Shiraz or the 2002 Kies Klauber Block Shiraz or the 2002 Rufus Stone Heathcote, all sunners at around the $20-24 mark. I'll make up my own list thanks!

Attila

Post by Attila »

I had a look at the Auswine replies to the last Uncorked supplement and that wasn't positive either. Unfortunately this current one is suffering the same fate because indeed for such publication, it's simply POOR.
The Australian versus European wine debate made me smile because most of the pairings were not even right.
In an other section:
I've tasted a few of the recommended whites and reds and I must say that many aren't up to sctatch but a couple of them are good as mentioned.
Maybe it had to do with the pressure of availability of wines for sale at the time of writing?
Every time I so look forward this little colourful publication but is it going to disappoint me always?
Attila

sanjay

Post by sanjay »

Hi,
I read uncorked early on Tuesday and was very disappointed- It should be re-labelled -CORKED.

It is flat, uninspiring, exhibition of wares. I believe it has lost its focus. It clearly cannot decide whether to pitch at the quaffing level or top tier. Consequently, the results are a jumbled mixture of both but in the end please neither group.

There clearly needs to be a set objective to the issue to decide what goals need to be met. I would prefer a two step approach: one section devoted to wine aficianados and the other to "les autres". furthermore, the repertoire of wine reviewed in these sections needs to be cranked up- several top names are missing.

I could go on and on but time is running out...

sanjay

Neville Nessuno

UNCORKED

Post by Neville Nessuno »

There appears to be a bit of a lack of focus this year with all types of wines grouped together.

A greater break down into more subcategories may have assisted.

Sifting through all this and ignoring wine of the year, best wine categories etc , there are a few hidden treasures worth exploring further.

My recommendations are

Howard Park Riesling (cellar 5y plus)

Bloodwood Riesling

Massoni Chardonnay (a beautiful wine)

Cullen Chardonnay

Cape Mentelle Shiraz (great vintage)

Scarpatoni Cabernet Sauvignon

I also agree with the earlier comments that the recipes are damn good.

Happy Drinking

Jeff2

Post by Jeff2 »

I have had a bottle of the 2001 Massoni chardonnay and I thought that it was developed to buggery, so much so that I was amazed that the winery had held it back. When I saw the review in Uncorked I nearly fell of my bar stool!! 5 stars for that blousy number, golly gosh!!

Then I thought: has to be some bottle variation. Has to be. Come on. We cannot be talking about the same wine!!

Jeff2.