Wendouree Mailer

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Mike Hawkins

Re: Wendouree Mailer

Post by Mike Hawkins »

rosewaterwrx wrote: A real eye opener and my 'I get it' moment with Wendouree.

I'm yet to have one of those moments with Wendouree (or Cullen for that matter). I'm sending / have sent most to auction, but will keep a few from 90/91/98, just in case the epiphany arrives.

As Gavin stated, everyone has their own likes....

maybs

Post by maybs »

:lol: :lol:

Who needs an excuse to use that Dave?
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

redwhiteandrose wrote:
WAwineguy wrote:
wiggum wrote:Wa wine guy - can you let us know what JO rated the 13's without the description ( ie just the scores)

Seems he's only rated the shiraz' so far:

Shiraz - 96 (2033-43)
Shiraz Malbec - 93 (2025-33)
Shiraz Mataro - 95 (2025-33)

So, assuming they don't give the cabernets 97+, Jeremy is a "drongo", then :roll: :twisted: :lol:

Not really. Oliver consistently rates about 2 to 2.5 points lower than Halliday. He has expressed his disdain for continually seeing 97/98 point ratings, so if Oliver gives something a 98 you know it should be something special (eg - Giaconda Estate Shiraz 2012, his wine of the year at 98 points - try finding some!). By way of comparison, Oliver rated the 2012 Wendouree Shiraz, Cabernet Malbec and Shiraz Mataro at 96, 95 and 94 respectively, Halliday at 98, 97 and 96 respectively. In recent years Halliday has given a lot of 97 point ratings and a fair number of 98s, Oliver very rarely.

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

Put through an order of 3x Shiraz, 2x Shiraz Mataro, 2x Shiraz Malbec, 3x Cabernet Malbec and 2x Malbec on top of my friends order - fingers crossed the order form isn't lost in the mail like last year! :oops:

redwhiteandrose

Post by redwhiteandrose »

WAwineguy wrote:
redwhiteandrose wrote:
WAwineguy wrote:Seems he's only rated the shiraz' so far:

Shiraz - 96 (2033-43)
Shiraz Malbec - 93 (2025-33)
Shiraz Mataro - 95 (2025-33)

So, assuming they don't give the cabernets 97+, Jeremy is a "drongo", then :roll: :twisted: :lol:

Not really. Oliver consistently rates about 2 to 2.5 points lower than Halliday. He has expressed his disdain for continually seeing 97/98 point ratings, so if Oliver gives something a 98 you know it should be something special (eg - Giaconda Estate Shiraz 2012, his wine of the year at 98 points - try finding some!). By way of comparison, Oliver rated the 2012 Wendouree Shiraz, Cabernet Malbec and Shiraz Mataro at 96, 95 and 94 respectively, Halliday at 98, 97 and 96 respectively. In recent years Halliday has given a lot of 97 point ratings and a fair number of 98s, Oliver very rarely.

Sorry, bit of an obscure reference to a Winefront review that said "Lord only knows why this is rated higher in the Langtons classification than the Cabernet based wines. I can only conclude that the wine buying public are, in the main, drongos."

So, according to that logic, giving 93-96 for the shirazes means he's a drongo unless he gives 97+

Just a light hearted comment. I like all Wendouree wines :P

Changing the subject, I see someone already has their allocation of 2013 Wendourees (or maybe wishful thinking :D )

http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?f ... 6cf926b7a0

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

I have put in an order for a mixed 6 with hopefully a couple of Cab Malbec with some friends who normally consolidate an order.
------------------------------------
Sam

Diddy

Post by Diddy »

Diddy wrote:Any Victorians received their order form yet..? :?: :(

Still no mailer!!! :shock:

Tell me I'm not alone here! :cry:

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Diddy wrote:

Call the winery if it's bugging you. I'm sure it's on the way.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Diddy

Post by Diddy »

Scotty vino wrote:
Diddy wrote:

Contemplated that, but didn't want to hassle the Bradys during this busy time - reminds me of the soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld - no Wendouree for you! :lol: :lol:

I'll sit it out a bit longer - it's gotta be on its way...

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

Got my order form in the mail last week but am still overseas.
Second year on the list and got a red crayon mark.

Called home and my wife filled out the order form and sent it off.
Last year just got 6 of the Shiraz / Mat but have ordered 9 Shiraz / Mat, 9 cab and 6 Shiraz this year.
Somehow expecting the 9's to become 6.

Fingers crossed this year.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Diddy wrote:

I was away last week on holidays but returned to find a hand written envelope from Wendouree in my pile of mail. :D
My envelope was stamped 25 June by the post office. I was surprised to get one at all because I only completed the joining ritual last September. I thought there was a lengthy waiting list. Obviously, no crayon marks for me, but I'm still stoked. :D

Diddy

Post by Diddy »

Scotty vino wrote:
Diddy wrote:

Decided to call and glad I did - there were issues with my address on file. Very helpful though! Orders to be dispatched next week apparently.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Diddy wrote:Decided to call and glad I did - there were issues with my address on file. Very helpful though! Orders to be dispatched next week apparently.

Orders to where? I remember last year NSW was last and there were some very nervous vegemites - including me!
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Diddy

Post by Diddy »

Hacker wrote:
Diddy wrote:Decided to call and glad I did - there were issues with my address on file. Very helpful though! Orders to be dispatched next week apparently.

Orders to where? I remember last year NSW was last and there were some very nervous vegemites - including me!

TBH, didn't ask. Guess I was too overwhelmed and getting my order in at the last second! :lol:

ufo

Post by ufo »

Hacker wrote:

Hope u did not order just Sh?

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

ufo wrote:
Hacker wrote:

Hope u did not order just Sh?

I learnt after the 2011 vintage, even long term clients get sent to the naughty corner for 'selectively' ordering.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

I ordered nothing but shiraz in my first attempt and got a polite letter back shortly thereafter saying that they'd ran out.
So I just ordered a bit of a mix of what I assume were the 'dregs'.
Is there such a thing at Wendouree?
In my second year I ordered some shiraz again and a mix of a few others and got it all.
Since then over the last couple of years I've got everything I've ordered but I've always ordered a many and varied mix.
Last year was the first time that the straight Cab was made available to me so I grabbed a couple.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Ddavew

Post by Ddavew »

Hacker wrote:

that would be me, I didn't get my credit card charge until late Aug. and received my order in 2nd week of sept. it's been like this for the past 2 years for me.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

My credit card has been charged for the full amount I ordered. Not sure this is a good thing following the Sydney Wendouree offline outcome. :? Anyway I didn't go wild.

ufo

Post by ufo »

My card has been hit with the full amount too, they are pretty fast this year. Does this mean they had a very good yield in 2013 vintage?

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

Those whose credit card has been charged - are you all initials?

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

I am yet to be charged - Sydney - red crayon.

trufflequeen

Post by trufflequeen »

Nor have I (red crayon, Adelaide. Posted order form back day it was received). I suspect they charge based on pecking order?

ufo

Post by ufo »

qwertt wrote:Those whose credit card has been charged - are you all initials?

No, red crayon.

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

ufo wrote:

No, red crayon.

Dammit. There goes that theory!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

25 years of initials, but yet to be charged.
Only ordered a very small amount this year...have to find some coin for some other speccy wines that are coming between now and October.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

ufo

Post by ufo »

qwertt wrote:
ufo wrote:

No, red crayon.

Dammit. There goes that theory!

Yep, so many theories have been developed thru our the years, none seemed to represent the practice so far. it is a big mystery :wink:

ufo

Post by ufo »

Himmm, I must be on the VIP list, got my wines today, card was charged on 13th Monday. :D

livcoll

Post by livcoll »

I had my card charged today for the full order. 5 year red crayon. I have friends who are from the same city who send off the mailer at the same time and when we get charged always varies. Some are crayon some are signature. Sing nature sometimes later than crayon. But what I seem to notice it that it does work in weekly batches of charging and shipping. So don't stress if yours is later than someone else's. They don't charge everyone in the same week.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Still nothing :(

But hey, I'm a first timer so need to wait in line I guess!